Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

various cheeses posted:

I didn't get a chance to snap any decent pictures because I've been to busy driving this thing. What an amazing car. Apparently mine may be the literal last 981 taken off a truck on the east coast. It was kind of rainy so I only snapped one picture before I jumped in and drove it around.

Awesome car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey Bajaha, when you did your waterpump what did you end up using for coolant that is compatible with the Porsche unicorn blood? Or did you just save the old stuff?

I am doing my AOS in the coming week(s) and I'm sure I'll lose some, but Pentosin goes for something like $20/L which is crazy.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 25, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Hey Bajaha, when you did your waterpump what did you end up using for coolant that is compatible with the Porsche unicorn blood? Or did you just save the old stuff?

I am doing my AOS in the coming week(s) and I'm sure I'll lose some, but Pentosin goes for something like $20/L which is crazy.

I used the prestone one from Canadian tire and I did a full drain and fill. Bought the concentrated and mixed it with their deionized water.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Coolant_Antifreeze.html

The coolant that came out of mine was the same green yellow like the prestone so I'm not sure if it was OEM to begin with.

I hope I didn't do anything wrong :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nah if you did a full change I'm sure it's fine. I might do the same. Supposedly the Porsche unicorn blood doesn't play nice with standard mass market silicate coolants. Supposedly. The OEM stuff is sort of pinky-orange.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

slidebite posted:

Nah if you did a full change I'm sure it's fine. I might do the same. Supposedly the Porsche unicorn blood doesn't play nice with standard mass market silicate coolants. Supposedly. The OEM stuff is sort of pinky-orange.

Its probably the same as the VW specific coolant which you can get for much cheaper than that i would think.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Crappy Tire has premix VW/Audi/Porsche for $20.00 for 3.78L. I'll probably just try that stuff if I need to top-up.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-vehicle-specific-coolant-volkswagon-audi-pre-mixed-0293085p.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Because Racecar huh?

http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/index.php?/category/14

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sitting at the airport with a poo poo eating grin on my face. Today is the day. :D

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Which model are you getting, RE? Funny how we overlap in the watch, Porsche, and goonmed threads. I'm a Porsche hopeful, maybe in the next 2-3 years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's a 2015 Cayman S. I've wanted a Porsche since I was 10 years old and it's finally happening today. The car is pretty close to where my parents live so I'm going to meet my dad after I pick it up. :gerty:

There's another medgoon that's also currently shopping.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That 959 did not break reserve at 810k. That buyer isn't out there this time around.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Drive it to the beach like I did, but don't drive it through standing seawater on the road like I did

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Drive it to the beach like I did, but don't drive it through standing seawater on the road like I did

nice, dont Porsche's have a galvanised body though? Seawater shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my god that flat 6 sounds amazing and the sports exhaust sounds incredible and oh my god the sounds it makes inside a tunnel and oh my god I wound it out to the red line in third on the drive home and I was doing 100 and oh my god.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 29, 2016

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Aargh posted:

nice, dont Porsche's have a galvanised body though? Seawater shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Sure, but there's alot down there that isn't. Minimum I'd do two under washes. Seawater is super corrosive lots of different salts in it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Posting this amazing Cayman with a Coyote engine in it because Porsche nerds are super mad about it. I would already have another Porsche in the garage if engine swaps like these were more common.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAJqax1TQo

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Hahaha that little limp dick spoiler coming up at the end of the dyno pull was the best.

Also, god drat make a kit for this. I want to troll some Porsche nerds so bad. Thanks to this video I was looking at Coyote crate engines today and holy poo poo they're cheap for what you get. Thanks to IMS issues the 987.1/997.1 models are almost worthless once the engine pops. No one wants to pay $20K for a rebuilt M96/M97. For the 987.1 Cayman you get the lovely dick punch that is 295hp for your $20K. I might be looking for Caymans with a blown engine tonight.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Coyote is pretty big, but if you want to go with another, more compact V8, there are already options http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Jymmybob posted:

Posting this amazing Cayman with a Coyote engine in it because Porsche nerds are super mad about it. I would already have another Porsche in the garage if engine swaps like these were more common.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAJqax1TQo

I really wanted to know how the transmission and diff are set up on that thing because it is amazing.

It looks almost like they used an actual Porsche transaxle and an adapter plate:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would be surprised if they didn't use the original transaxle. I read some threads on the 911 forums and that's what happens with the LT1 conversions as the OEM transaxles are very tough. It's not nearly as cheap and easy as people make it out to be though although probably cheaper than putting in a new flat 6.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Go with a V8 in the front: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-965/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Might have to watch that...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've been intrigued ever since I saw a video of a lime green 944 with an LS3 mixing it up on a road course with Corvettes. Can't find the video after 10min of trying :(.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
In local 944 V8 news....

I wonder what he'd take for that? Probably still not worth the hassle of an unfinished project I don't really have the room for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Work list this weekend:

R&R Alternator/starter cable
R&R RH 4-5-6 cam chain tensioner
R&R AOS

So far I am 90% of the way to finishing the cable and cam chain sensor - hope to do that today. Just need to figure out how to unhook the wiring for the AC and swing the compressor out of the way. I can't see getting that AOS done today. It's a pretty big job and I will be out of town tomorrow and tuesday night so I doubt I'm going to get it finished for a week.

e: Also - here's a tip for you. If you're going to pull the PS reservoir, remember to empty it first. Ask how I figured that nugget of info out. :downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 2, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally had a chance this weekend to wash off the grime from the trip out to get my new car!

Washed it off at a friend's place who's big in to detailing. Going to give it a proper wash/wax in a few weeks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice looking cars, Twin White Porsche dudes. Congrats on the new rides.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice looking car man, congrats.

Still working on operation Porsche maintenance from above. Put about 5 hours into it today out of which 3 was dicking around trying to remove the alternator before I finally said gently caress it and removed the lower alternator mounting bracket which also cracks open the cooling system which I was hoping to avoid. But once I did it, I had the alternator out in about 4 minutes so it was worthwhile and wish I did it earlier. I'm just now debating if I should replace that drat thing as a maintenance item while I have it out. Pretty sure it's original.

Here is a before pic (airbox and hoses removed up to the throttle body already)

After pic

I can now however easily get at 2 of my 3 goals.

My RH tensioner is now accessible - conveniently located directly under the AC compressor

The Alt-Starter-Bat cable is now completely open. Removing the alternator and the AC compressor makes this very, very much simpler and I can also see my final quest, the AOS (air-oil-seperator is a glorified PCV valve). The cable is partially visible here too, in front and to the right of the AOS. Goes to the starter from here (about 1') and then about 2.5' back to the front of the motor under the AC compressor. That's the boost point if the battery every dies and also ties into the battery which is in the frunk of the car.

All I need to do now is remove the LH intake :buddy:
:(

I also decided I'm going to re-bearing the idlers while I'm in here. Luckily I know a bearing guy. I might also detail the engine bay a bit while I have everything out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

Crappy Tire has premix VW/Audi/Porsche for $20.00 for 3.78L. I'll probably just try that stuff if I need to top-up.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-vehicle-specific-coolant-volkswagon-audi-pre-mixed-0293085p.html

I use this on my Audi and, at least colour wise, it seems virtually identical to the magic pink coolant it came with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the reply on that good to know. I was toying with draining the entire system but I don't think I'll bother at all now and just top it up for sure.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the reply on that good to know. I was toying with draining the entire system but I don't think I'll bother at all now and just top it up for sure.

I haven't had any ill effects over three years but the 2.0L TFSI isn't known for coolant issues, only it's unending hunger for cam followers and chain tensioners.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How does the alternator bracket seal the cooling system? Is it sharing some bolt with the water pump or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The lower alternator "bracket" includes a cover which covers a cooling passage on the block to give a coolant nipple to go to, I believe, the AOS in a round-about way.

Why do it this way? Because Porsche.

E: Good news today on the alternator front though. I was toying with replacing it because I had it out, but I got it bench tested and it's a champ so back in it goes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:toot:

I'm still loving my Porch dreams vicariously through your adventures

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrs Slidebites comment as I was leaving the house for a couple of days an hour ago was I'd better not die in a car wreck because then she has a Porsche ripped apart in the garage to deal with.

I'm not sure how I should take it because that is her big concern if I die.

Drake it is added to your duties.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't die until you get that poo poo out of my garage.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DrakeriderCa posted:

:toot:

I'm still loving my Porch dreams vicariously through your adventures

Me too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is scary in an I have no idea how likely this could be way:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-boxster/
Before seeing this, If I knew a car already had the LNE IMS, I would be confident it would hold up.
Wonder if the oil would have shown shavings or excess metal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So.... what do we think that will go for?

edit: This is a real post.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My guess is $5k-6k ish. I very much doubt anything but a new short block would bring it back. Just goes to show the IMS issues are a total crapshoot. I am certainly not convinced by a longshot that most of the IMS cures were any better than stock.

E:ceramic bearings are not some panacea for issues and are really only appropriate for very specific applications/problems.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 6, 2016