Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Emong posted:

The game is good and the turn limits are meaningless if you play even a little aggressively.

I played aggressively and got shot the heck up, like they ambushed me. You can't really run into areas bc you don't know if a alien is waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Darth Windu posted:

I played aggressively and got shot the heck up, like they ambushed me. You can't really run into areas bc you don't know if a alien is waiting

So you are bad at game?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lowen SoDium posted:

So you are bad at game?

No I'm good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

I'm sorry that losing the X-Com crutch has made you unwilling to engage the learning curve.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I beat the first game on hardest mode and iron guy. I played the first first game all the way thru and mom got really annoyed at the footsteps. You can't say I'm bad.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

y'all don't know what you're getting yourselves in to

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

You can't say I'm bad.

:wrong:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there's a difference between being reckless and being aggressive; one of the best improvements in 2 is that you have to make a real consideration on how to balance those. 'skill' at xcom1 (lol) actually translates pretty poorly to this game just because the RoE are completely different.

you were on a VIP extraction mission, yes? did you start in concealment? there's two variations - if you started in concealment, how quickly did you engage/when did you recover the VIP? what was your general strategy for engaging? how did you get ambushed, exactly?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
What difficulty are you playing on? Just because you beat XCOM on impossible, doesn't mean you can just waltz in on Legend and win. You have to adjust your playstyle a little to move quick enough, yet not rush and get killed. People have beaten Legend with zero casualties.

Are you making use of Phantom Rangers and battle scanners so you can see the next engagement ahead of time?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Coolguye posted:

there's a difference between being reckless and being aggressive; one of the best improvements in 2 is that you have to make a real consideration on how to balance those. 'skill' at xcom1 (lol) actually translates pretty poorly to this game just because the RoE are completely different.

you were on a VIP extraction mission, yes? did you start in concealment? there's two variations - if you started in concealment, how quickly did you engage/when did you recover the VIP? what was your general strategy for engaging? how did you get ambushed, exactly?

I never even found the VIP because the game gave me no clue as to where he was

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly I played the poo poo out of the first one and thought 2 was super frustrating at first. Then I restarted and laid waste to every alien that crossed my path which was pretty much my experience with the first one iirc.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Either you encountered a bug, or you didn't know what the objective marker looks like.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It's literally the third mission. The ambush I mentioned happened in the second, it's like okay I need to slow down. Nope whoops you are supposed to speed up and recon an entire map in 8 turns to find some doofus hiding in a dumpster or whatever.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

It's literally the third mission. The ambush I mentioned happened in the second, it's like okay I need to slow down. Nope whoops you are supposed to speed up and recon an entire map in 8 turns to find some doofus hiding in a dumpster or whatever.

The missions are all random, but if you have an "extract the VIP" mission, either you start with the VIP in your squad and have to fight to evac, or you have to rescue them from a jail cell/truck/something and get them to evac.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

then you're hosed up somehow holmes because there are 2 variations of extract the VIP, one in which they start right next to you and the other the game pans directly to where you need to go, gives you a second of vision, and then puts a big bright arrow over the spot you need to head to just in case you forget. sounds to me like you had some serious bug stuff going on or you were drinking and you tend to be a forgetful, angry drunk.

nobody's ever reported a mission being screwed up in the way you are describing, but the game has had a lot of weird odd and end bugs that have been fixed by verifying cache. maybe try that i guess.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Let him be. If he's determined to whine because the tactics he used in the first game doesn't work in XCOM 2 and he absolutely refuses to adapt, nothing will change his mind at this point.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ah, a 25 post jump in the thread lead by somebody I have on block.

What do y'all think their big (if it happens) (it'll probably happen) expansion will feature? EXALTy stuff? Expanded guerilla warfare?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

Ah, a 25 post jump in the thread lead by somebody I have on block.

What do y'all think their big (if it happens) (it'll probably happen) expansion will feature? EXALTy stuff? Expanded guerilla warfare?

Since you were EXALT all along, I don't think it'll be that. Hopefully it's more of a focus on guerilla warfare, but I honestly don't know.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just lost my first game and i'm a bit disappointed that you don't actually get to see what the Avatar project actually is or at least a bit of a teaser to get you excited to try again. Just not Huey Emmerich giving a stupid speech and then stats.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Turn timers tend to be just right, with little leeway on higher difficulties.

Also, you don't actually have to kill everyone in VIP missions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

quote:

Also, you don't actually have to kill everyone in VIP missions.
Lies.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I'm at work so I can't get a link, but I'm pretty sure that the Long War folks said they are working on something to do with EXALT, so I doubt that would be official expansion material. Lore wise, it doesn't really make sense for there to be a real EXALT since, like the goon said a few posts ago, Exalt was the aliens using the commander to fight a resistance while still jacked into the Matrix or whatever. I can forgive the continuity fudging if it means there's more XCOM to play, though. Despite some of the rough edges, this is a GOOD GAME.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just lost my first game and i'm a bit disappointed that you don't actually get to see what the Avatar project actually is or at least a bit of a teaser to get you excited to try again. Just not Huey Emmerich giving a stupid speech and then stats.

Yeah I had hoped that as a little concession for actually losing the game you at least get to see what it is that the Avatar project achieves (and how it's different from what happens in the lategame).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well, they turn everyone into meat slurry and build white haired superman bodies for the Ethereals to possess. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You find out what the Avatars are later in the story, don't worry. I assume they don't show what the project is in the losing screen because it'd ruin the surprise for you later.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, you'd have to be doing really terrible to find out what the avatar project is about and then lose the game, since all the non-research progress on it drops the counter by at least one.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mentioning EXALT reminds me...

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/584/

This mod sounds interesting. Apparently it adds a third side for tactical missions, be it either EXALT who fights you and ADVENT at the same time, or Resistance members who are allied with you, but you cannot control them.
It also adds some new toys and new missions.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can you save scum in Xcom 2? I can't see an option like the one that Xcom EW had. I'd experiment but the PS4 loading times aren't exactly forgiving of that.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

kim jong-illin posted:

Can you save scum in Xcom 2? I can't see an option like the one that Xcom EW had. I'd experiment but the PS4 loading times aren't exactly forgiving of that.

You'll get different results if you do different things: same things in different order; move a step to the left; anything else you can think of.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

dogstile posted:

You find out what the Avatars are later in the story, don't worry. I assume they don't show what the project is in the losing screen because it'd ruin the surprise for you later.

Ah, I kind of agree with Boing here. Even though you get to see the Avatars, you never even get to see their faces. Do they look like a human? A hybrid? The autopsy shows you absolutely nothing.

Also, what do the aliens actually achieve once they finally build their "exalted bodies"? Do they wipe everyone out? Do they leave? Do they stay and turn Earth into an even more sinister dystopia? Do they stay and turn Earth into an utopia FOR ALIENS (terraforming or not)? Do they call out to the stars for more Ethereals to come? Nothing, not one ounce of information is given to the player. Even the ending of XCOM 1994 gave you more information (they turn Earth into a huge mutant human slave camp that is part of some sinister unknown alien empire).

Of course, all this lack of information could be intentional in order to give the Firaxis team creative flexibility for sequels and building the game lore in general. But it does feel a bit underdeveloped, at least for me. The Avatar "behind a helmet" being my biggest complaint.

Oh and btw, bring back XCOM 1994 autopsies, please. Those were incredibly fun, I remember being anxious to see the aliens from the inside after starting an autopsy project. They were brilliant and you could see there was a lot of creativity going on in those illustrations and descriptions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sort of thing it'd be difficult to get past the ESRB these days, I imagine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kim jong-illin posted:

My god the PS4 load times are insane.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

Mentioning EXALT reminds me...

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/584/

This mod sounds interesting. Apparently it adds a third side for tactical missions, be it either EXALT who fights you and ADVENT at the same time, or Resistance members who are allied with you, but you cannot control them.
It also adds some new toys and new missions.

I like the three way fighting idea but that mod seems like it adds a lot of "other" stuff and brings a shitload of incompatibilities with it so I'm resistant.

I'd like to hear feedback on it, though!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Everyone complaining about running Xcom 2 on a console clearly hasn't run it on a PC with a Core i3 and 4 gigs of RAM. My starting-a-mission loading screen is a completely black screen with background music for about 45 seconds, followed by 2+ minutes of my troops hanging out in the Skyranger. I think it adds to the realism, it's like my troops are flying to the mission in real-time.

e: What timing! I just went to start the game at got a "game's already running" message from Steam. Turns out that when I closed it last night it didn't actually close, but instead just ate up 20-30% of my processor for the last 12+ hours. :xcom:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Has anyone tried this? Co-Op XCOM sounds like a lot of fun.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Rapid Fire on a Sniper isn't nearly so awesome as I thought it'd be, as Rapid Fire kills don't trigger Serial. Ugh.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

kim jong-illin posted:

You can, but not if you do the same thing, for example: if you missed 90% shot you'd still miss after reload if you took the same shot as first thing you do; however if you ran out into alien overwatch instead it'll be them getting that 90% miss roll.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So before the end of my first game i put my A-team into the character pool and i have it set to use random and character names, it seems like i got my old squad back immediately. also they are wearing really strange clothes, is it because i saved them wearing special armor types and the game is giving them different outfits because i don't have them at the moment? They look pretty cool other than the occasional dude showing up in boxer shorts.

Also i like the feature that they can be VIPs. The Dark VIPs are the ones that you have to knock out/kill in some the council missions right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Has anyone tried this? Co-Op XCOM sounds like a lot of fun.

it came up recently and the general attitude was 'yeah we'll believe that one when it's got some proof its real', apparently there's been a lot of weirdness in the development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The Dark VIPs are the ones that you have to knock out/kill in some the council missions right?

Yes,they are.