Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Verizon leaked some Pixel stuff, including their pricing plans.

$649 Pixel is more or less confirmed now, with the Pixel XL 128 hitting around $870.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/03/verizon-evleaks-reveal-even-pixel-pixel-xl-showing-off-blue-color-google-magic/

Note; the front of the blue one isn't black:

Lol this is turning out to be a lovely year for phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FAUXTON posted:

jacking up the subsidized price.

In Canada, it actually happened. All vendors carrying the Nexus 5 added $100 over and above the exchange rate, and they only ever carried the 16gb model.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The pixel xl will be $1500 in Canada at this rate

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Thanks Bieber Trudeau :saddowns:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mister Macys posted:

Verizon leaked some Pixel stuff, including their pricing plans :stare:

That's ... that's iPhone dollars. Someone who isn't Samsung thinks their Android phones are worth iPhone dollars.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So wait...if the Nexus phones stop getting updates in the next year or two, then what phones (if any) will run Fi?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's still hope the straight from Google price is lower.

What's odd about that article is they are talking about subsidized price. While it is possible to still get a 2 year agreement on Verizon if you are on a legacy plan, all current plan and new subscribers can only do monthly payment or full retail price. They don't even advertise subsidized prices so it's odd to give only that info.

So, what I'm saying is, this may very well be a hoax to get people riled up.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

There's still hope the straight from Google price is lower.

Yep, you could buy a 16GB Nexus 4 from T-Mobile for $500 financed when it was $350 from Google, or a 16GB Nexus 5 from Sprint for $525 financed when it was $350 from Google.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

NihilCredo posted:

Dumb question: if you install a third-party launcher, to what degree does the stock launcher keep running in background? On a scale from "the stock launcher's process is totally killed and only exists as some files in storage" to "the stock launcher is running exactly like before, only invisibly"?

The former

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Any reason as to why the bottom bezel is so big with no physical buttons on it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think what bugs me the most is that the antenna band cuts right into the bends, more so in the XL. That just looks so goddamn terrible to anyone with a modicum of design skills. It's like bad kerning in text.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Calaveron posted:

Because its an HTC

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Because they're reusing the casing from an older phone that had a fingerprint reader there.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Calaveron posted:

What everyone else is saying about HTC reusing casings, plus because the phone is ugly.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Has anyone quantified how much bezel is there at the bottom? The bezel doesn't bother me one bit based on looking at the pictures, but I don't have a physical comparison.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Really hoping for good news on the Nexus/Pixel 7 front this afternoon. My 2013 N7 is still chugging along but showing its age.

Speaking of... this morning it froze while playing a game and got stuck in a Google screen bootloop. Recovery mode wouldn't start, powering down completely didn't help, couldn't access the cache partition to delete it, and most of the forum tech support I could find for it was "your motherboard may need replacement" which made me think, perfect, it quits on the day the new one might be announced. That's planned obsolescence as finely tuned as it comes.

Then I thought of this thread. So I closed the case, smacked it on all sides as I have been known to do when the touchscreen gets dodgy, and it booted on the next attempt.

THREAD TITLE CONFIRMED.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Dammit Google, I was hoping this year's phones wouldn't be poo poo. Nexus phones have generally been awesome and I loved my 4 and still really like my 5 even though it's what, three years old at this point? Was hoping these Pixels would be a good upgrade but man, these things are gonna be over $1,000 in Canada.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Surely for such a premium phone they could've used a design that wasn't literally recycled? Like I know modern phones need to follow a particular design for function but it's just an iPhone with a hideous two tone back

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Or we could wait two hours before melting down

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The blue/white is really cool. At 650, though, wow.
Is there a live post thread for this?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 4, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Surely for such a premium phone they could've used a design that wasn't literally recycled? Like I know modern phones need to follow a particular design for function but it's just an iPhone with a hideous two tone back

That's because they're contracting with HTC who all but stated they were stealing the iPhone 6 design when they launched the A9.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't really understand why people care if the case was used on another phone. I mean it's fine if you actually hate the look but why would I care how many phones look the same? Most phones look the same from more than like three feet away anyway.

The bezels don't seem much different to the 6P which feels fine. I guess it lacks front-facing speakers though so maybe you'd expect it to be smaller but I can't say it bothers me at all.

I've booked the 85in TV at work for a beer and pizza streaming party so even if this event is a total car crash at least it'll be a total car crash with free beer and pizza.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Think the blue has only been seen in the Verizon leak, so wonder if that is exclusive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bull3964 posted:

What's odd about that article is they are talking about subsidized price. While it is possible to still get a 2 year agreement on Verizon if you are on a legacy plan, all current plan and new subscribers can only do monthly payment or full retail price. They don't even advertise subsidized prices so it's odd to give only that info.

Even if you're on a legacy plan, they set an end-cap on how many upgrades you can get. We used up our last two a couple of years ago. Interestingly, they offer no-interest monthly payments.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Or we could wait two hours before melting down

I don't know that we need to wait the two hours to know the front is ugly. I quite like the back but I don't spend much time looking at the back of my phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely think "blue" when I think of Verizon.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even if you're on a legacy plan, they set an end-cap on how many upgrades you can get. We used up our last two a couple of years ago. Interestingly, they offer no-interest monthly payments.

The Android Police article says they're enterprise listings, so the $199.00 et al prices may be a special business thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The thread where we post about the Pixel event.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What time is the actual event? 9AM pacific

That pricing is ridiculous. I 100% need a new phone, but this pricing is killing me. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

What time is the actual event?

That pricing is ridiculous. I 100% need a new phone, but this pricing is killing me. :(

9am Pacific, noon Eastern.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ilkhan posted:

What time is the actual event? 9AM pacific

Buy a nexus 6p then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a nexus 6p then.

I have to say that the 6P has been the best phone I've owned despite its massive size.

And by "best" I don't mean in the obvious "of course its the best its newer than all your phones"-sense. I mean in the "how close it comes to meeting my expectations"-sense.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, the 6P is the first Android phone I've owned that didn't have some glaring annoyance with the hardware. I preferred the size of the slightly larger 6, but that had some severe performance and battery life issues.

I'll still probably buy a Pixel XL though because I want a new toy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there going to be some sort of live stream of today's unveiling, or is it going to be a quiet press event? I'm interested in how Google's going to spin things with these new phones.

Awesome, thank you!
VVV

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 4, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

Is there going to be some sort of live stream of today's unveiling, or is it going to be a quiet press event? I'm interested in how Google's going to spin things with these new phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4y0KOeXViI

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thermopyle posted:

I have to say that the 6P has been the best phone I've owned despite its massive size.

And by "best" I don't mean in the obvious "of course its the best its newer than all your phones"-sense. I mean in the "how close it comes to meeting my expectations"-sense.

The 6p is the best Android phone I've ever had and real close to the best phone I've had period. Having a phone with a decent camera is really nice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mogomra posted:

Awesome, thank you!
VVV

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a nexus 6p then.
I have one. I broked the camera when I changed the back panel (it won't focus anymore). I may just buy a replacement 6P or do a warranty swap or something if the pixel/XL aren't worth it to me. But while the 6P has been the phone I've ever had, its still not perfect. So I'm hoping the Pixel/XL will be worth it.

Total side not: Why is there no submodel name for the smaller pixel? Pixel needs to be the line version, and [something] to distinguish it from the line in general. Like Pixel M and Pixel XL. Pixel without any sub designation is just weird. And confusing if they stick with it next year.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
S6 Active, 6.0.1 -- How do I disable OTA updates? I'm getting them all the time, they interrupt what I'm doing on my phone, disable it for 5-25 minutes at a time at inconvenient times, and are breaking features that I actually use on the phone. I want to completely disable all updates until a root comes available for this phone. How do I go about doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

revmoo posted:

S6 Active, 6.0.1 -- How do I disable OTA updates? I'm getting them all the time, they interrupt what I'm doing on my phone, disable it for 5-25 minutes at a time at inconvenient times, and are breaking features that I actually use on the phone. I want to completely disable all updates until a root comes available for this phone. How do I go about doing this?

Just update it.