Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is there a thread for first Witcher anywhere here? I have a technical question about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just ask here.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Okay. How do I enable V-sync in it?
There's no option in menu, enabling it from Nvidia control panel/Inspector doesn't work and D3DOverrider doesn't work either. I can use RTSS to limit framerate, but there's still crazy tearing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm too stupid for real computer help, but I found this.

[...]You can try to force Vsync for all applications through the Catalyst Control Center in the gaming graphics section, but that doesn't always work. The other option is to download Rivatuner, it comes with a tool called D3DOverrider. You can use that tool to force vsync for specific applications. Simply open it up, add the Witcher exe to the list, and select the option to force vsync. Simply keep D3DOverrider minimized and launch the game, and it should cap your framerate to 60FPS.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Bogart posted:

I'm too stupid for real computer help, but I found this.

[...]You can try to force Vsync for all applications through the Catalyst Control Center in the gaming graphics section, but that doesn't always work. The other option is to download Rivatuner, it comes with a tool called D3DOverrider. You can use that tool to force vsync for specific applications. Simply open it up, add the Witcher exe to the list, and select the option to force vsync. Simply keep D3DOverrider minimized and launch the game, and it should cap your framerate to 60FPS.
I have already done all that, but I figured it out. Turned out that D3DOverrider didn't work while RTSS was active. So one problem fixed.

Now that I got just about 2 min into actual game I'm having another, even worse issue. Average FPS is 60, but the game stutters like mad and freezes for ~100ms every time I hit alt to show interactable objects.
I already disabled Nvidia Shadowplay to get tooltips back and I'm running the game in 16:9 window to avoid pixelated cutscenes, but if the performance is unfixable I'll just give up.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Almost got everything I need, but enough to start building proper. Foam mats to use for the chest armour that I can then coat in leather. Undershirt really only has visible sleeves so going to stitch onto an existing long sleeve top, similarly the trousers.

Mostly following this guys tutorial - http://www.instructables.com/id/Witcher-Cosplay-Geralt-of-Rivia/?ALLSTEPS

and endeavouring to not end up looking like

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to cosplay as Olgierd, personally.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I want to cosplay as Olgierd, personally.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

guy needs a whole lot more Michael Fassbender (as Macbeth) to get that poo poo going

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
so I just rebought the GOTY edition on PC (don't ask why) and I see my old save file is still available. I last played and finished the game when it was released, so I don't really remember the combat and all.

I see there is a NG+ available now. I wanna replay the game. Do you guys think a fresh character, or a NG+ character would be best? I played on 3rd difficulty setting if it matters, and liked the challenge.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

texting my ex posted:

so I just rebought the GOTY edition on PC (don't ask why) and I see my old save file is still available. I last played and finished the game when it was released, so I don't really remember the combat and all.

I see there is a NG+ available now. I wanna replay the game. Do you guys think a fresh character, or a NG+ character would be best? I played on 3rd difficulty setting if it matters, and liked the challenge.

NG+. You get to keep the potion and decoction recipes you have, as well as all of the alchemy and crafting supplies. The game has new versions of the witcher gear as well so you can just dismantle the old ones for parts. Getting to skip that stuff is a nice benefit to NG+

Since you liked the challenge, if any of this makes it too easy, you can up the difficulty, and the game now has a level scaling option in the settings to correct it if you get overleveled.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just finished playing through Cabaret and Cardinal Sins, and the pacing felt so weird... it was like someone went "Hey I know, let's put the worst and one of the best quests back-to-back".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So that's what the unicorn comment was about.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Omi no Kami posted:

I just finished playing through Cabaret and Cardinal Sins, and the pacing felt so weird... it was like someone went "Hey I know, let's put the worst and one of the best quests back-to-back".

Pretty sure it was a deliberate decision. It's meant to be extremely jarring and out of left field.

Also just because I'm curious who did you find was the killer?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Teaser cinematic for Witcher 4!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fiat Roach

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure it was a deliberate decision. It's meant to be extremely jarring and out of left field.

Also just because I'm curious who did you find was the killer?

My determination was that it was the coroner. Incidentally, was he lying about being a higher vampire? I thought they were borderline unkillable, and didn't have a creepy bat form. Unrelated note: I am absolutely horrified that leaving the hooker alone with the brand-wieldin' priest guy was even an option; even if the guy was axii-ed, I was really weirded out that geralt was okay with just leaving it at 'okies, give her your money, untie her, then gtfo-I'ma go do some more autopsies'

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
In the Witcher 2 various guards use a polearm like a halberd with sword animations and it looks goofy as hell. Its been months since playing 3 so I don't remember if there are any polearms and if they do exist do enemies use a different set of animations?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pellisworth posted:

It's probably my favorite game ever and I started PC gaming on a 386 in 1993 (Windows 3.1 and DOS, baby) with stuff like DOOM, Commander Keen, original side-scrolling Duke Nukem and other Apogee shareware games :v:

EGATrek 2.x or bust, bitch. :colbert:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Omi no Kami posted:

My determination was that it was the coroner. Incidentally, was he lying about being a higher vampire? I thought they were borderline unkillable, and didn't have a creepy bat form. Unrelated note: I am absolutely horrified that leaving the hooker alone with the brand-wieldin' priest guy was even an option; even if the guy was axii-ed, I was really weirded out that geralt was okay with just leaving it at 'okies, give her your money, untie her, then gtfo-I'ma go do some more autopsies'

Higher Vampires do have a creepy bat form, even in book lore. I think the game tries to retcon the qualification for Higher Vampire somewhat. There are dirty, rat-suckin' Lower Vampires, and there are a few species that belong to the Higher Vampire tier, of which belong True Higher Vampires, the "unkillable" ones. Yeah, kinda like Super Sayans. :goku:

On an unrelated subject - is it possible to find and talk with Avallac'h before the Battle of Kaer Morhen? (sorry for the annoying spoilers, this thread is full of new players now)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nycticeius posted:

Higher Vampires do have a creepy bat form, even in book lore. I think the game tries to retcon the qualification for Higher Vampire somewhat. There are dirty, rat-suckin' Lower Vampires, and there are a few species that belong to the Higher Vampire tier, of which belong True Higher Vampires, the "unkillable" ones. Yeah, kinda like Super Sayans. :goku:

On an unrelated subject - is it possible to find and talk with Avallac'h before the Battle of Kaer Morhen? (sorry for the annoying spoilers, this thread is full of new players now)

I think since by the time you get to the Baron, events in Ciri's storyline have progressed that Avallac'h is already cursed and walking about as Uma and Ciri is already on the isle of mists, waiting outside of time with the 7 dwarves basically.

I love that when you play through the game again you notice a veritable asston of tiny details they added that weave the whole plot together and make you feel like you're living in the world, not just a generic actor acting upon it. Most jarring of those was suddenly seeing Phillipa in owl form, as won by Zoltan, just chillin', NBD.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DelphiAegis posted:

I think since by the time you get to the Baron, events in Ciri's storyline have progressed that Avallac'h is already cursed and walking about as Uma and Ciri is already on the isle of mists, waiting outside of time with the 7 dwarves basically.

I love that when you play through the game again you notice a veritable asston of tiny details they added that weave the whole plot together and make you feel like you're living in the world, not just a generic actor acting upon it. Most jarring of those was suddenly seeing Phillipa in owl form, as won by Zoltan, just chillin', NBD.

Concerning your spoiler, I knew as soon as I saw Zoltan had an owl, I was like, "there's no way that's not someone important." What surprised me was that Zoltan managed to lose her just as easily as he'd won her, and just when I needed her.

Something that disappointed me: It doesn't seem that the Baron ever comes back with his wife, no matter how much time passes. I kept hoping he'd be taking care of her in Crow's Peak, retaining a doctor to look after her. The Sergeant's kind of a fucker, so I wanted the Baron back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shani is like the anti triss isn't she? Triss sees geralt is incapacitated and takes advantage of him in a moment of vulnerability. Shani has geralt possessed by a horny ghost who wants to screw her brains out, and she stops to ask what geralt really wants.

Yen might be the volatile love geralt deserves, but Shani is the most stable relationship geralt could have. But she has her own life to live and doesn't want to compromise either of their professions. A good friend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shani is the best. She is also ridiculously brave, rocking around crypts with not even a knife let alone fireballs and crap. Shani for otp.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

She's also adorable. :3:

I

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Shani is way too well-rounded to be with Geralt. If you hook up with her in Witcher 1, in Witcher 2 it says their relationship only lasted a few weeks since Geralt is an awful boyfriend.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It doesn't help that Shani is a normal human and would die long before Geralt. She's still the best though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My friend is team Triss, and I'm team Yennefer, but we both agree that Shani is too good for Geralt.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Shani is a type A doctor bleeding heart type so it puzzles me how she isn't horribly murdered in Witcher 1 given the direction of the series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was sorely tempted by Team Triss but I just got to Skellige and I love how Yen and Geralt are like immature giddy teenagers who pretend they're totally too cool for this poo poo but actually ridiculous at each other and refuse to stop terribly flirting.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It's like Goldilocks and the three bears.

Triss is sweet but rapey.
Yen is too spicy for some and an ice queen.
Shani is just right but smart enough to realize it would never work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

It's like Goldilocks and the three bears.

Triss is sweet but rapey.
Yen is too spicy for some and an ice queen.
Shani is just right but smart enough to realize it would never work.

Geralt didn't do anything to Triss that he wouldn't have done were his memory intact at the time. :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Keira is cool too but let's be honest, she's a perfect fit for Lambert.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

Geralt didn't do anything to Triss that he wouldn't have done were his memory intact at the time. :colbert:

That's probably true, I know we're not being super serious here but this is basically the same argument as "oh she'd have given consent if she was sober, it's not rape."

Edit: she was also dishonest by leading Geralt to believe she was his vaguely remembered pre-amnesia sorceress girlfriend.

Arguing about the definition of rape is not healthy for the thread, Triss definitely exploited him though.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 6, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: she was also dishonest by leading Geralt to believe she was his vaguely remembered pre-amnesia sorceress girlfriend.

Arguing about the definition of rape is not healthy for the thread, Triss definitely exploited him though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I still haven't finished 3 (I've only just started Skellige), but as someone who's only ever played the games, I have a really deep distrust of Yennefer. I'm okay with Triss, largely because she's the love interest I've seen the most of through the games. I know for a fact that sorceresses in general tend to be pretty cutthroat and self-centered, and I believe the narrator and all Geralt's friends when they say that he and Yen are a once-in-a-lifetime match thing, but I dunno; I get the vibe that she'd use and leave Geralt in an instant if that was more personally advantageous than working with him, and I never got that from Triss. (Shani is obviously the best, but she apparently doesn't appear in 3 so phooey.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One last thing about Shani. What on earth is her accent? It sounds like she's trying to be American but skipping into English.

On an unrelated note, I was on the nexus updating my kid list and I got wondering why the Witcher games never quite git the same level of deranged modding Fandom as Bethesda games. Now I know the obvious answer is the lack of a character creator to build their fetishes, but I am quite surprised at the overall lack of smut mods for Witcher 3. Sure there are your obligatory nude and giant breast mods, but they make up a fraction of all mods in w3, as opposed to a majority in Skyrim.
I guess when you pack your game full of tits and mocapped sex scenes it kind of leaves the modders at a disadvantage, eh?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

One last thing about Shani. What on earth is her accent? It sounds like she's trying to be American but skipping into English.

Well, I've basically been able to spot all the holdover characters from Witcher I by how out-of-place their accent is in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm. in Skellige I really want Cerys to be king, but I also want to murder a giant. Can I help both of them with their quest and still effect the outcome, or should I only help her?