Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe they still have all the signs and costumes from the funeral they had for the iPhone when WP7 launched and can just do not over again on the cheap? :)

I'd be shocked if they actually announce any hardware this year, but who knows.

Funeral? The previous were metaphorically thrown off a bridge from a moving car into a lovely creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

You can't bury wm10 because it's literally Windows 10.

WM10 is not free, they have to get Windows 10 running on ARM processors. Since the non-pro Surface is gone and no OEMs made any ARM tablets the only reason to support ARM is for phones. Not to mention there is a ton of work done on those phone only apps, and the phone only interface.

WM10 is still burning piles of cash, just they are now much smaller piles since they are not throwing large amounts of people and capital at phone manufacturing.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
How does the 1020 camera stack up today to the newer smartphones?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Anyone hear of any sales on the 950XL? If I'm going to ride this sinking ship to the bottom, I want to do it in style. The x3 looks nice, but there's no way I'm paying that much for it.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone hear of any sales on the 950XL? If I'm going to ride this sinking ship to the bottom, I want to do it in style. The x3 looks nice, but there's no way I'm paying that much for it.

I had good experience with getting my 950 off Swappa for $260 - those guys are anal about keeping their handsets pristine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If Band ends up being killed off is there any other wearable on the market that does everything it does (music control, programmed workouts I can write myself, sleep tracking, etc)?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shumagorath posted:

If Band ends up being killed off is there any other wearable on the market that does everything it does (music control, programmed workouts I can write myself, sleep tracking, etc)?

I don't know about preprogrammed workouts but the pebble time steel is great. Built like a tank, waterproof, great fitness tracking, sleep tracking and music control and they update it pretty often with a serious bent towards health tracking. The new one comes out soon with bigger better everything and heart rate monitor built in.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does it sync with Windows in any meaningful way? I can live with desktop-only if there's no phone app.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Does it sync with Windows in any meaningful way? I can live with desktop-only if there's no phone app.

I don't know about pebble but Garmin Connect works on Windows Phone 10 (at least no worse than it does on other mobile platforms) and Garmin have a range of fitness bands.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'll be out at ignite this coming week. Last year they spent a lot of time during the keynote talking about continuum and mobile, will be interesting to see if there's any announcements this year.

Edit:

No mention in first keynote, most demos done with iOS. There's a second keynote coming up, but I'm assuming nothing. There's some token trivial discounts on the existing phones, but nothing worthwhile.

HP does have a big Elite X3 demo setup though, hardware looks really nice!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 26, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My 950's back to 100% albeit with some gorilla glue seepage and some razor scrapes from where I removed the excess. Still less ugly than the spiderweb crack. Surface Phone had better be out next time I drop this thing.

Is there any way to back up contents of the Microsoft Authenticator in case I ever lost the screen/phone entirely? I have recovery codes saved for enough accounts to get back into the rest assuming my PC, laptop and tablet aren't also wiped out at the same time.

Maneki Neko posted:

No mention in first keynote, most demos done with iOS.
So much for dogfooding...

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Disharmony posted:

How does the 1020 camera stack up today to the newer smartphones?

I'd like to know this too. The best I can find is searching Flickr for "lumia 1020" and looking at the photos people have taken with it. (They look pretty drat good.) I'm very tempted to buy a used 1020 on Amazon for like $130, but a used iPhone 6 is also fairly inexpensive, at $250. If the iPhone 6 camera is just as good as a 1020, I'd probably get the iPhone.

edit: I know that the 1020 has more magapixels, but if that just means the photos are 'huge' then I don't really care. If it means the colors and contrast and low-light capture and stuff are better, then that is groovy.

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 29, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Captain Pike posted:

I'd like to know this too. The best I can find is searching Flickr for "lumia 1020" and looking at the photos people have taken with it. (They look pretty drat good.) I'm very tempted to buy a used 1020 on Amazon for like $130, but a used iPhone 6 is also fairly inexpensive, at $250. If the iPhone 6 camera is just as good as a 1020, I'd probably get the iPhone.

edit: I know that the 1020 has more magapixels, but if that just means the photos are 'huge' then I don't really care. If it means the colors and contrast and low-light capture and stuff are better, then that is groovy.

I can't compare it to the iPhone but I have a 950 now and it's much faster to start-up and snap photos. The autofocus is a lot faster too, and the phone supports HDR. The 1020 is still great though. Having all those megapixels doesn't help it a lot. I wouldn't judge it by that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Microsoft Discontinues its band fitness wearable

:smith:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm disappointed in you for not making a disbanded joke.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
That's just great. This morning I put on my band 1 and the buttons don't work. It's now just a watcj with a lovely battery. By the time I can scrape up enough disposable cash for a replacement there won't be any left. Are there any other things out there that work with WP and has a similar level of functionality?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's lame. I thought it was pretty well loved. Besides the reliability. I hope mine doesn't break now. I'm on device five or so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

That's just great. This morning I put on my band 1 and the buttons don't work. It's now just a watcj with a lovely battery. By the time I can scrape up enough disposable cash for a replacement there won't be any left. Are there any other things out there that work with WP and has a similar level of functionality?

Fitbit Blaze is what I moved to. Other than no custom workouts it's been fantastic. Even works with groove music.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CharlesM posted:

That's lame. I thought it was pretty well loved. Besides the reliability. I hope mine doesn't break now. I'm on device five or so.

It was extremely Zunelike in that the roughly 200 people worldwide who own one all absolutely love it

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

loquacius posted:

It was extremely Zunelike in that the roughly 200 people worldwide who own one all absolutely love it

does m$ actually even have a marketing department?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I really liked it, but here I am posting in the WinPho thread, and as a MS/WinPho user.

So, yeah, not really reflecting a large market share here.

I'm on my second one, first one developed a tear. At least the BestBuy warranty will get me some cashish back on getting a different device if it breaks again - so I may come out on the plus side of that. If it doesn't break in the next 12 - 18 months I'll be just as happy with it. The GPS mapping, hike mode work great. I love the easy wrist notifications. I did not use the workouts feature often, nor guided, so I can't say much about that. Sleep tracking and the "smart alarm" are great.

These have a limited lifespan anyways so as long as it survives for another year, year and a half, like anything else in the wearable/mobile field it will be time to look for something else.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Had a Band 1, took it back for a refund - it was crappy beta hardware;
Had a Band 2, replaced - battery wouldn't hold a charge, the thing would turn off when I disconnected it;
Had another Band 2, lost it - surprisingly didn't give a poo poo*, haven't missed it, I'm only ruing the $250 down the drain.

Conclusion - I'd like to have seen a Band 3 which may have have made this a compelling piece of electronics, kinda sad it's not coming any time soon/ever.

*tbh I'll put this down to it simply having a crappy plastic strap and ugly clasp - for a watch which is best with the screen on the inside wrist that overlapping clasp was a ridiculous design decision. You could make the strap wider and embed the batteries and cables and sensors in a woven fabric strap which doesn't look like poo poo and wouldn't sit 15mm above your wrist, let alone the cracking of the plastic which people were seeing. They tried sleek, seamless, and roundey, instead they got chunk. It should have been utilitarian, rugged, and functional, y'know fit for purpose.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So after moping around a bunch dealing with all of Android's annoyances I stumbled across this video and got really excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qnbZC9GLU

Integrated Microsoft services embedded directly into Android, and no more half-assed Cortana integration! So I set about re-teaching myself all about ROM flashing from the good old days that started with the Droid Incredible. I unlocked my bootloader (wiping the phone), flashed recovery, installed cyanogenmod 13, couldn't boot, exercised critical thinking, realized CM13 is based on Android M and I had updated to N, reflashed back to Android M, then flashed to CM13, couldn't find Cortana anywhere, then realized that cyanogenmod and cyanogenos are two different operating systems and I'd just wasted a ton of time and wiped my device for no reason. Apparently the only way to get cyanogenos is to buy a phone that comes with it.

Welp! :bang:

I really wish MS would just release an android ROM of their own.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

OldPueblo posted:

So after moping around a bunch dealing with all of Android's annoyances I stumbled across this video and got really excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qnbZC9GLU

"Welcome to the post-app era"

That's seriously in the video.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
£250 for a 950 with the continuum dock thing. At these prices I'm so tempted to try one out of nerdy curiosity (I have a perfectly fine Nexus 6P)

I have a Blu Win Jr that I got for next to nothing from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and am surprised at how usable even that is, but obviously the 950s are in a different league.

Bad idea though right?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Uhhhh yeah, apps are dead and mobile web is king. Though I can hardly blame anyone with a Windows Phone for not knowing what is going on with technology.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

Uhhhh yeah, apps are dead and mobile web is king. Though I can hardly blame anyone with a Windows Phone for not knowing what is going on with technology.

If apps are dead I think it's about time for WP to make a comeback :razz:

Meanwhile the company I work at still devotes considerable effort to telling people using our MW site that they should really be using our app instead

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Microsoft Surface hardware event is official!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-schedules-its-fall-hardware-event-for-october-26/

Mary Jo Foley's sources and leaks expect a Surface all in one, a surface mouse and keyboard at this event. Surface phone is coming...

......... sometime in late 2017 or early 2018.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Good, that'll give us enough time to progress fully into the post-app era

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What does that even mean? The only reason I had (and a good one) was the app situation that didn't get any better with WM10 (wich is still a beta). I had to do a lot of things through IExplorer and then Edge on mobile isn't near as good on PC.

As workphone works perfectly, sure. But as daily driver I couldn't use my bank's app or even have a decent youtube, twitch or Netflix ones. Web apps aren't the future in my opinion and Edge is far from a good option right now.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

monster on a stick posted:

So yeah that's dumb but also I linked the wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudXvIC8gps

This one shows the ability to launch Cortana from the lock screen, and Hey Cortana works everywhere in CyanogenOS not just within the app. That's the stuff I wanted. :( I really question now why MS hasn't just created a custom ROM with all embedded services and people can add gapps on their own.

Funny sidenote, my wife asked me if she could switch back to her Lumia 950 since it worked better and she's not one of "those app people". A tiny win for Microsoft. Sadly I had already sold it. :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Three years ago I got a Lumia 820, with which I've been quite happy. Despite the somewhat restrictive amount of good, dedicated software, I've rarely if ever felt hamstrung in terms of functionality. Of course, my phone usage is mostly limited to calling/texting, jotting down appointments, whiling away the minutes whenever I'm waiting for something by reading news articles, getting directions, and occasionally looking up some other information - all pretty simple and straightforward, so I require few fancy applications. It still suits all my direct needs just fine. However, this phone is three years old now, the hardware itself is even older, and it's been ages since it received any system updates. Having grown accustomed to and fond of WP 8.1, I'd rather not switch to Android though (iOS is kind of out of the question, if only because of iPhone pricing).

So, what with Windows phones' future being uncertain at best, I thought that perhaps it might be a good time to get a replacement now before they're all gone. After some internal debate between the 950 and the much cheaper 650, I settled on the former because in terms of hardware the 650 didn't sound like much of an upgrade (and could even be considered a downgrade as far as the camera's concerned). It came in yesterday, but after some testing I'm left wondering if I really have any good reasons for spending over 300 euros on this phone. While there's nothing wrong with the 950 per se, I find it difficult to identify advantages in it that justify the expense.

For starters, a lot of the 950's pros just aren't that important to me or not implemented in such a way that I really care for them. Although the screen resolution is admittedly phenomenal, I feel that it's wasted on a 5.2" screen - especially in the way it's used. I suppose it's helpful when it comes to small text, but there seems to be so little of it that it hardly matters. Also, seeing as I don't typically hold my phone right up to my eyes (and am used to the comparatively low pixel density of computer monitors), I generally don't notice that everything's a little fuzzy/pixelated on the 820 anyway. The 950's extra screen real estate should be helpful too, yet it often looks like it's mitigated quite a bit by large text and images. Like the screen, the camera is certainly very impressive; unfortunately, if I'm honest I pretty rarely use my phone's camera and for casual picture-taking the 820's is still quite adequate anyway. Communion and Hello, too, are fancy features - yet I don't see myself ever needing them, or perhaps even using them at all. MS Office integration might be the most valuable thing to me about the 950, except only in theory. I only make serious use of Word, after all, and hell if I'm going to be typing out and editing entire documents on a goddamn phone with a touchscreen.

On the other hand, I'm finding there are a number of minor yet off-putting issues with the 950. Although it looks and feels quite pleasant, having smallish hands I must say I prefer the 820's more diminutive size. The fact that it's slightly thicker makes it somewhat more comfortable for me as well. Though to be fair, these concerns might disappear if I keep using the 950. The same may apply to the new look of, say, (Bing/MSN) Weather and the Store. Nevertheless, I do find it annoying having to adjust to a new interface - especially if I find that the changes make use more cumbersome than before. The elimination of tabbed pages in favour of long lists is not something that can be considered an improvement, in my opinion. To make matters worse, the amount of information now displayed on a single screen has in some cases actually decreased despite both the larger screen size and much higher resolution. Again, the technology comes across as wasted on the actual software. More generally speaking, WM 10 appears to do away with various aspects of WP 8.1's interface that I've grown accustomed to and which I appreciate. The previously ubiquitous tabbed pages have gone, suggestions don't pop up in the search bar anymore, and all the (in my opinion) really cool screen transitions have been removed. It's all just fade-ins and fade-outs now, with a simple zoom effect applied to the main screen. The overall effect is that the 950 is both less user-friendly and considerably duller than its older and technically inferior brother.

Still, I could overlook these nitpicky-ish irritants if it weren't for one especially baffling fact: in more that one instance, the 950 seems more sluggish than the 820. There is a distinct pause between swiping away from the main menu to the applications list on the 950, whereas on my 820 - with an even longer list of applications, mind - this transition is virtually instantaneous. Perhaps the delay is programmed right into WM 10, but it's not the only moment where the 950 looks like it's struggling a bit when you'd think it really wouldn't. For instance, it feels like it requires noticeably more time to load lists in the Store and has more trouble loading/unloading images fast enough to keep up with rapid scrolling. This may well be a side-effect of the images themselves being much higher-resolution than on the 820, but it begs the question whether it's more important to have great rendering speed than super sharp icons. What really left me dumbfounded, though, was the 950's performance in Maps. On my 820, I can wildly drag around the map at practically any size at a perfectly decent to almost perfect framerate. By contrast, the 950 chugs and jerks and wheezes enormously as I try to reposition the map, especially when it's zoomed in to afford a decent overview of any city area. My best guess is that it's a combination of WM 10 being a bit unoptimised and, again, the enormous resolution being rendered proving to be too taxing for the processor. If I'm doing something wrong, though, I'd be happy to hear it. For the record: I did completely update the phone and install offline maps, first.

Aside from the remarkably poor performance in Maps, I should stress that I haven't found anything wrong with the 950 as such. I'd consider it a fine and technically impressive phone, and if I didn't have the 820 I'd most likely keep it. But I do have the 820, and the fact is that I just don't think I'm ever going to find the 950 more enjoyable to use and currently don't see any other compelling reasons to make the switch. As such, I'm very seriously considering just returning it and keeping my 820 until I become genuinely dissatisfied with it. Would you guys agree, or is there something more I should consider before shipping it back?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Not to worry, plenty of OEM partners like Coship, Acer, Lenovo, Alcatel, Covia, Freetel, Uniscope, Yamada and Viroyal are there to keep momentum for W10M going.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Three years ago I got a Lumia 820, with which I've been quite happy. Despite the somewhat restrictive amount of good, dedicated software, I've rarely if ever felt hamstrung in terms of functionality. Of course, my phone usage is mostly limited to calling/texting, jotting down appointments, whiling away the minutes whenever I'm waiting for something by reading news articles, getting directions, and occasionally looking up some other information - all pretty simple and straightforward, so I require few fancy applications. It still suits all my direct needs just fine. However, this phone is three years old now, the hardware itself is even older, and it's been ages since it received any system updates. Having grown accustomed to and fond of WP 8.1, I'd rather not switch to Android though (iOS is kind of out of the question, if only because of iPhone pricing).

So, what with Windows phones' future being uncertain at best, I thought that perhaps it might be a good time to get a replacement now before they're all gone. After some internal debate between the 950 and the much cheaper 650, I settled on the former because in terms of hardware the 650 didn't sound like much of an upgrade (and could even be considered a downgrade as far as the camera's concerned). It came in yesterday, but after some testing I'm left wondering if I really have any good reasons for spending over 300 euros on this phone. While there's nothing wrong with the 950 per se, I find it difficult to identify advantages in it that justify the expense.

For starters, a lot of the 950's pros just aren't that important to me or not implemented in such a way that I really care for them. Although the screen resolution is admittedly phenomenal, I feel that it's wasted on a 5.2" screen - especially in the way it's used. I suppose it's helpful when it comes to small text, but there seems to be so little of it that it hardly matters. Also, seeing as I don't typically hold my phone right up to my eyes (and am used to the comparatively low pixel density of computer monitors), I generally don't notice that everything's a little fuzzy/pixelated on the 820 anyway. The 950's extra screen real estate should be helpful too, yet it often looks like it's mitigated quite a bit by large text and images. Like the screen, the camera is certainly very impressive; unfortunately, if I'm honest I pretty rarely use my phone's camera and for casual picture-taking the 820's is still quite adequate anyway. Communion and Hello, too, are fancy features - yet I don't see myself ever needing them, or perhaps even using them at all. MS Office integration might be the most valuable thing to me about the 950, except only in theory. I only make serious use of Word, after all, and hell if I'm going to be typing out and editing entire documents on a goddamn phone with a touchscreen.

On the other hand, I'm finding there are a number of minor yet off-putting issues with the 950. Although it looks and feels quite pleasant, having smallish hands I must say I prefer the 820's more diminutive size. The fact that it's slightly thicker makes it somewhat more comfortable for me as well. Though to be fair, these concerns might disappear if I keep using the 950. The same may apply to the new look of, say, (Bing/MSN) Weather and the Store. Nevertheless, I do find it annoying having to adjust to a new interface - especially if I find that the changes make use more cumbersome than before. The elimination of tabbed pages in favour of long lists is not something that can be considered an improvement, in my opinion. To make matters worse, the amount of information now displayed on a single screen has in some cases actually decreased despite both the larger screen size and much higher resolution. Again, the technology comes across as wasted on the actual software. More generally speaking, WM 10 appears to do away with various aspects of WP 8.1's interface that I've grown accustomed to and which I appreciate. The previously ubiquitous tabbed pages have gone, suggestions don't pop up in the search bar anymore, and all the (in my opinion) really cool screen transitions have been removed. It's all just fade-ins and fade-outs now, with a simple zoom effect applied to the main screen. The overall effect is that the 950 is both less user-friendly and considerably duller than its older and technically inferior brother.

Still, I could overlook these nitpicky-ish irritants if it weren't for one especially baffling fact: in more that one instance, the 950 seems more sluggish than the 820. There is a distinct pause between swiping away from the main menu to the applications list on the 950, whereas on my 820 - with an even longer list of applications, mind - this transition is virtually instantaneous. Perhaps the delay is programmed right into WM 10, but it's not the only moment where the 950 looks like it's struggling a bit when you'd think it really wouldn't. For instance, it feels like it requires noticeably more time to load lists in the Store and has more trouble loading/unloading images fast enough to keep up with rapid scrolling. This may well be a side-effect of the images themselves being much higher-resolution than on the 820, but it begs the question whether it's more important to have great rendering speed than super sharp icons. What really left me dumbfounded, though, was the 950's performance in Maps. On my 820, I can wildly drag around the map at practically any size at a perfectly decent to almost perfect framerate. By contrast, the 950 chugs and jerks and wheezes enormously as I try to reposition the map, especially when it's zoomed in to afford a decent overview of any city area. My best guess is that it's a combination of WM 10 being a bit unoptimised and, again, the enormous resolution being rendered proving to be too taxing for the processor. If I'm doing something wrong, though, I'd be happy to hear it. For the record: I did completely update the phone and install offline maps, first.

Aside from the remarkably poor performance in Maps, I should stress that I haven't found anything wrong with the 950 as such. I'd consider it a fine and technically impressive phone, and if I didn't have the 820 I'd most likely keep it. But I do have the 820, and the fact is that I just don't think I'm ever going to find the 950 more enjoyable to use and currently don't see any other compelling reasons to make the switch. As such, I'm very seriously considering just returning it and keeping my 820 until I become genuinely dissatisfied with it. Would you guys agree, or is there something more I should consider before shipping it back?

Just a quick question, do you have your apps loading from a microsd card? If so, is it high performance?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

OldPueblo posted:

Just a quick question, do you have your apps loading from a microsd card? If so, is it high performance?
Nope, just the internal memory. Hadn't even inserted a memory card yet. Nor a SIM card for that matter, as I was still waiting on a nano-sized one that I had ordered (though I've no idea how that could affect performance either way, except for the speed of your data connection I guess).

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

loquacius posted:

If apps are dead I think it's about time for WP to make a comeback :razz:

Meanwhile the company I work at still devotes considerable effort to telling people using our MW site that they should really be using our app instead
Sure, but it's inarguable that "There's an app for that!" is long gone. I have no idea what your company does but that they push the app ultimately only means that one exists and for rea$on$ it is preferred. Twitter people want an app for, Facebook and Instagram people want an app for, but you stick someone in line in not-Starbucks and say they need an app for ?????, that app isn't getting any downloads. That mentality is in a desert grave with QR codes. People want a coupon, they absolutely will go to the website, and a properly designed Mobile Web in that not-Starbucks is customer education, a second menu, and savings on one screen. More.

Exceptions are certain but nothing about "post-app" sounds incorrect.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

And was a development correctly predicted by the WP7/8 team, and then rather squandered over time (i.e. the "hub" concept and similar predicting that people had very limited interest in launching apps for every little thing).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been having a problem with my 640 for a while where the brightness is completely busted. Setting it to manual does absolutely nothing and it won't change at all; setting it to auto works, but only if I turn off the display and let the glance screen kick in, at which point it appears to check how bright it should be. Is this fixable, and if so how? I can deal with it, but when I pull my phone out of my pocket and turn it on I almost always have to then turn it off, wait for Glance then back on again or the brightness is too low to see anything. This has been across multiple builds and hard resets.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The thing about my 640's brightness that I find the most irritating is that it clearly is capable of having its backlight down low (like after being on and idle for whatever interval I've set it to right before it turns the display off) but there's no way to get it that dim in any of the brightness settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been having a problem with my 640 for a while where the brightness is completely busted. Setting it to manual does absolutely nothing and it won't change at all; setting it to auto works, but only if I turn off the display and let the glance screen kick in, at which point it appears to check how bright it should be. Is this fixable, and if so how? I can deal with it, but when I pull my phone out of my pocket and turn it on I almost always have to then turn it off, wait for Glance then back on again or the brightness is too low to see anything. This has been across multiple builds and hard resets.

I've had this happen for a while on the Insider builds and submitted feedback about it, but it still isn't fixed. For now I just stick to the Glance workaround. Maybe it's time to submit some feedback again.