Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Carth Dookie posted:

Australia?

Race was in the afternoon/evening here so after the race would put it close to a kid's bed time.

Aha, awesome - thanks for that, I was far too lazy to work out timezones and all that.

...but that begs the question, what on earth is an Aussie doing supporting Lewis Hamilton? Their countryman won the race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I just doxxed the hell out of that guy by clicking on his name:

Don't tell me the Aussies have a North Yorkshire to go with their South Wales

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

HJB posted:

I just doxxed the hell out of that guy by clicking on his name:

Don't tell me the Aussies have a North Yorkshire to go with their South Wales

That's in England, oval office.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

enri posted:

...but that begs the question, what on earth is an Aussie doing supporting Lewis Hamilton? Their countryman won the race!

because australians are loving racist like this thread

and perth isnt real australia its fuckin bogan

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

God dammit FOM, stop blocking youtube and streamable clips. I want to hear Lewis' cries of pain again. It feeds me.

Here you are:

http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/10/Race__Sepang_hopes_go_up_in_flames_for_Hamilton.html

Enjoy

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 4, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sending kids to sleep off a lovely mood is a thing though? He blew up at about 8:45am UK time I think.

Also if you want cancer, push that #TeamLH link.
His fans are seriously delusional. There's some that spent hours yapping at Mercedes and blaming them directly. Then Lewis puts out his statement. Then they spend hours saying anyone who suggested LH was blaming Mercedes and not a 'higher power' are morons spreading filth. Like literally the same people do both things.

The self owning is real with LH fans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

this sport would suck so much rear end if drivers like lewis had intelligent and reasonable fans

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wicka posted:

this sport would suck so much rear end if drivers like lewis had intelligent and reasonable fans

This but all sports and all teams/athletes

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ban rear end sucking imo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think the Lewis Hamilton hate is because goons hate nationalism , especially nationalism from traditionally colonial countries.

It's the same crowd that shits on Columbus Day in America.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Brits still go over the top if you ask me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

this thread is at least half american and americans love nationalism more than anything

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Riso posted:

Brits still go over the top if you ask me.

As a Brit myself who is over-exposed to it, I can say the British media just tries super hard to make British F1 drivers seem decent, which is hard because they're largely either poo poo or shitmunchers.
JB is a ray of light though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Mercedes preparing their entry to a superior racing formula for Hamilton to retire to once he has a post-2016 wobbly meltdown

Also, from the bbc rumours page:

quote:

Lewis Hamilton says he would be prepared to skip practice sessions in the five final races of the 2016 Formula 1 season if it meant protecting his remaining engines following his dramatic exit from the race.

haha, please do forego that important development and setup time you numpty.

Khablam posted:

As a Brit myself who is over-exposed to it, I can say the British media just tries super hard to make British F1 drivers seem decent, which is hard because they're largely either poo poo or shitmunchers.

Yea, one hundred percent this. As a Brit, the bias towards British drivers is really loving annoying. Again, with the exception of JB. Because he's not poo poo like the rest of them :colbert:

enri fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 4, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Khablam posted:

Anything to get over the loss of empire, it seems.

enri posted:

He will just copy nicos setup.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

This was mine up until my dad pointed out Rosberg's giant poo poo eating grin in the room of awkwardness. The guy knew he got the world's most ridiculous free pass that race.

My dad also insisted we rewatch Hamilton's car blow up until the praying in the grass 3 or 4 times.

Your dad is a good dad, unlike my Lewis loving father

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Dubs posted:

because australians are loving racist like this thread

and perth isnt real australia its fuckin bogan

Hi!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Khablam posted:

Also if you want cancer, push that #TeamLH link.

F1 2016: If you want cancer, push that #TeamLH link

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

enri posted:

The engine that popped was nearly new, having done one practice session when first mounted, then one complete race (FP -> Quali -> Race), then a second nearly complete race. Strongly points to a manufacturing flaw.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I try not to celebrate the misfortune of others much... but since it's just a car race and the clown is still making millions and isn't actually suffering in any real way, Everything from *BOOM* "No no no!" to shattered Lewis squatting in the grass was glorious. like 10/10, would watch again, hoping for same result next race.

Just looking at the calendar... with 5 races left, another few Ricciardo wins and Hamilton DNFs would put him down into 3rd, which would be amazing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I don't get all the Hamilton hate, it seems people just don't like drivers who are doing well. Same story with Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel....

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lewis is not even using the newest version of the engine.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

As excited as i am for development in FE to be opened up and see a actually-pretty-road-relevant battery war. Im still upset at them for the bad planning in the first season

So green, they hide all the shameful action behind trees and a crane save for a 15 foot gap. And i sprung for the grandstand seats, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAyBU6U6QQ

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 4, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MZ posted:

I don't get all the Hamilton hate, it seems people just don't like drivers who are doing well. Same story with Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel....

Lewis is very narcissistic, and that turns a bunch of people off. He also externalizes a lot of problems he is at least partially responsible for, which is also kind of offensive.

Schumacher could be an incredible rear end in a top hat, and combined with his very confrontational driving style made for an easy media narrative against him. Lots of people who were closer to him say that was never how he truly was, but there really isn't any way to know.

Vettel was a dick, and decided to poo poo on the people who helped him grow in order to get big money working for a famous team. He's eaten some humble pie from that and is seemingly better about it now.

Alonso I never paid that much attention too, so no idea.

Verstappen is carefully managing his media, and his family and red bull are all over keeping his 'young aggressive underdog' schtick going. I don't think we have seen much of the true Max, honestly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MZ posted:

Not even remotely the same. Well Vettle is a massive fraud now I guess.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
He always was.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lewis' engine is newer on paper, but every race since having it has seen him out of position and overtaking / pushing to try to get on the podium / catch Nico. Meanwhile, Nico has had basically 2hrs of clean air per race and has only had to defend against ferrari strategy (lol) and redbull consistency (lol) to win comfortably.

I'd not feel like my engine was in the better position, really.

As for Vettel, it's always felt like he's trying to ape Schumacher as much as possible. Moving to ferrari when they were all over the map and bringing them back on form would have repeated what Schumacher did.

Ironically he joined a team and hasn't outperformed the number 2 driver already in situ, so he's aped Schumacher's second career by accident :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

When does Vettle run into a tree?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Khablam posted:

Lewis' engine is newer on paper, but every race since having it has seen him out of position and overtaking / pushing to try to get on the podium / catch Nico. Meanwhile, Nico has had basically 2hrs of clean air per race and has only had to defend against ferrari strategy (lol) and redbull consistency (lol) to win comfortably.

I'd not feel like my engine was in the better position, really.

All the customers are doing that stuff all the time with old engines and they don't blow.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The Hamilton hate is largely down to his social media profile which is that of an 8 year old trapped in the body of a stupendously wealthy adult.

To be fair, the route to becoming an F1 driver involves putting your childhood on hold to drive karts endlessly so that's more or less what he is.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought Lewis said the engine wasn't turned up when it blew. Nico's was iirc when he was trying to get 10 seconds over Kimi in the last few laps.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

Mercedes absolutely designs and tunes the car to secure pole and then lead the entire race, counting on the clean air and blue flags of such a track position. We've seen dirty air cripple the cars badly (though Nico being terrible at passing is probably as much responsible) but they've rarely blown up from it.

I'm certain Mercedes pushes their engine much harder than their customers do, as well, which gives a bit of a false impression when Lewis says other customer teams don't have the issue. It's because they aren't anywhere as close to the edge as the works team is.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The Hamilton hate is largely down to his social media profile which is that of an 8 year old trapped in the body of a stupendously wealthy adult.

To be fair, the route to becoming an F1 driver involves putting your childhood on hold to drive karts endlessly so that's more or less what he is.

Sounds like a p awesome childhood to me :shrug:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Riso posted:

All the customers are doing that stuff all the time with old engines and they don't blow.

In cars driving multiple seconds off the pace, yeah. Nico's car is the only direct comparison you can really make, Lewis' "8 engines" thing isn't really true.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Sounds like a p awesome childhood to me :shrug:

I dunno, I do it now but there's no way I'd have fun doing that sort of thing week in and week out 8 months a year as a kid. I don't think you really get an appreciation for it at that age, and I'd probably end up hating it like I do with piano.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno, I do it now but there's no way I'd have fun doing that sort of thing week in and week out 8 months a year as a kid. I don't think you really get an appreciation for it at that age, and I'd probably end up hating it like I do with piano.

If you come from a racing family so money and sponsorship are no problem and you are winning all the time because you have a fast reliable ride and maybe some talent, it's probably amazing if you are a guy.

I'd complain about family dynasty poo poo in F1, but it's always been that way and it's going to get worse as cars become more a utility (electric, self driving) and you can't be lucky and get noticed on talent alone.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Riso posted:

He will just copy nicos setup.

If so, hopefully Nico's mechanics will bodge a few numbers here and there to put him off. But anyway, that's still less than ideal than going and getting the car set up for yourself, different driving styles and all that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I think the Lewis Hamilton hate is because goons hate nationalism , especially nationalism from traditionally colonial countries.

It's the same crowd that shits on Columbus Day in America.

We stole that one back, it's called Indigenous People's day around here.

gently caress Columbus.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

EoRaptor posted:

Lewis is very narcissistic, and that turns a bunch of people off. He also externalizes a lot of problems he is at least partially responsible for, which is also kind of offensive.

Schumacher could be an incredible rear end in a top hat, and combined with his very confrontational driving style made for an easy media narrative against him. Lots of people who were closer to him say that was never how he truly was, but there really isn't any way to know.

Vettel was a dick, and decided to poo poo on the people who helped him grow in order to get big money working for a famous team. He's eaten some humble pie from that and is seemingly better about it now.

Alonso I never paid that much attention too, so no idea.

Verstappen is carefully managing his media, and his family and red bull are all over keeping his 'young aggressive underdog' schtick going. I don't think we have seen much of the true Max, honestly.

Pretty good summary, actually! Plus, it gets boring to see the same person win over and over, which turns some people off. For me, it's much more that he just seems so douchey.

Alonso was unlikeable for a while (like I mentioned earlier) when he was whining about Renault sabotaging him, but he recovered from that and is now awesome. Vettel seemed to get a lot more likeable after he stopped winning / left Red Bull. I'm not sure which contributed more. Another key thing for both of them I think is that they have matured and chilled out. Honestly, maybe Lewis will eventually get there too. I just don't like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lewis never had to drive absolute garbage cars while Nando put a Minardi into the points.

• Locked thread