Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ka0 posted:

At some point in the near future "star wars scholasticism" will be a real degree offered in many different higher education establishments, and about as useful as a pop culture degree. Only less dignified.

That's almost as absurd as Jediism becoming a legally recognized religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pretty much all CinD analysis is that bad movies aren't actually bad, they are parodies of bad movies or of good movies that have become cliched. I attribute it to people finding enough enjoyment in dissecting a bad movie that they start being unable to accept that the creators weren't in on it as well. Also they have enough ideas swirling around in their heads that you could sit them in front of television static and they would start theorising about how it depicts an epic and eternal struggle between black and white (as either race or abstract taoist forces). It's good to bring your own imagination into whatever media you are viewing, but I prefer to see it phrased more along the lines of 'I wish the movie did this thing, or this is how I would have written it' rather than 'the movie actually does this thing despite appearances and only i and the enlightened few have realised it'.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Actually cineD is entertaining to read because they come up with interesting ideas and interact with the movies on a level beyond "this movie was boring" or "epic spider man cameo gave me a nerdgasm"

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
More like ring piece theory. Because the prequels were total rear end.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

8 track betamax posted:

Actually cineD is entertaining to read because they come up with interesting ideas and interact with the movies on a level beyond "this movie was boring" or "epic spider man cameo gave me a nerdgasm"

lol are you a soft reboot of the original 8 track betamax?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
This video really should have been broken up into two or three different videos, and I really could have done without the gross ending. Other than that, it was quite good.

Am I the only one who's looking forward to Episode VIII but who couldn't care less about Rogue One?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

lol are you a soft reboot of the original 8 track betamax?

This new disneyfied family friendly 8 track would never threaten to beat up a bad mod

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
One time someone in CineD said "I liked it. The Rock rules." about some movie and the regs wouldn't stop circlejerking about it in their chat thread for a month because it's such an unrefined opinion to have about a movie. That was about when I stopped reading that sub.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked Pick's Bee Movie thread.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Schweinhund posted:

One time someone in CineD said "I liked it. The Rock rules." about some movie and the regs wouldn't stop circlejerking about it in their chat thread for a month because it's such an unrefined opinion to have about a movie. That was about when I stopped reading that sub.

for a forum about film they sure do spend most of their time arguing over loving star wars and avengers and batman movies, literally the dumbest common denominator of poo poo. look at any smg post about "ugh loving nerds" yet he has like 100 posts in the loving transformers thread

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
GBS is the happy medium between people who go, "EPIC COOL BATMAN CAMEO!" and "Was Batman's cameo actually a Dadaist commentary on what a cameo actually is?"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

plinkett was right, star wars does look like a university admissions poster

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Whorelord posted:

They even sandwiched the nerdlinger between two babes

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

More like ring piece theory. Because the prequels were total rear end.

When he first said "ring theory" in the video i prepared myself for imminent goatse and was honestly surprised that it didn't happen

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Whorelord posted:

Why did they make all the attractive ones cgi cartoons?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Hell Yeah posted:

i don't know why he felt he had to respond to the ring theory article because why would anyone take that seriously enough to respond to?

Ring Theory is pretty much catnip for a Plinkett review, though. It basically gives them permission/excuse to do a lot of split-screen of clips from the different movies, and play more behind-the-scenes footage for context.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Whorelord posted:

Move over blondie, the other two girls have already taken my heart on a space adventure :quagmire:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Whorelord posted:

were all these people in star wars? i only recognize one guy

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

were all these people in star wars? i only recognize one guy

there are in indians in star wars but the middle guy is mark hamills son

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

dreezy posted:

notice how real rlm hates youtube culture while pre-rectum embodies stream culture.

Deep thoughts to keep my up at night today in the RLM GBS thread.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The most annoying thing about that ring theory bollocks is: so what if literally all of it is true? Making the films "cyclical"/reference each other/whatever is one of the dumbest and easiest things you could possibly do. It's the kind of thing a 12 year old who has just learnt that symbolism is a thing would think to do. The fact that that is what prequel apologists think is "brilliant filmmaking" says a lot

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

The most annoying thing about that ring theory bollocks is: so what if literally all of it is true? Making the films "cyclical"/reference each other/whatever is one of the dumbest and easiest things you could possibly do. It's the kind of thing a 12 year old who has just learnt that symbolism is a thing would think to do. The fact that that is what prequel apologists think is "brilliant filmmaking" says a lot

It makes the film great because you noticed it and popcorn sucking plebs didn't. That alone justifies your 3 years at film school and crippling debt with no obvious career path

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Berious posted:

It makes the film great because you noticed it and popcorn sucking plebs didn't. That alone justifies your 3 years at film school and crippling debt with no obvious career path

um excuse me but posting 12 hours a day in CinD is an extremely good career path

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The more I think abouyt the ring theory the more plausible it becomes............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:eyepop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some actual critics couldn't tell Starship Troopers was a parody lampooning the gently caress out of the ideology of the book and nationalist militarism in general and thought it was bad because of that, then when they figured it out it was a good movie. CD thinks they can apply this to everything, and thus if you say something is actually a clever parody it's automatically good and makes you the holder of a secret truth.

It's basically the same attraction of a lot of conspiracy theories. People want to feel like they're part of a small group that knows the real truth the sheeple can't see.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hadaka Apron posted:

Am I the only one who's looking forward to Episode VIII but who couldn't care less about Rogue One?

no you are not

Calico Heart posted:

the rest of the stuff you said is why the whole ring theory bullshit is definitely wrong via occam's razor. That's more or less what that whole 40+ min portion of the RLM review said he just never really tied it off with a one-sentence summary for some reason

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might not be a fair assessment, but the way that supermechagodzilla guy writes makes me think that he fantasizes about keeping women's heads in his freezer but doesn't have enough IRL self-confidence to actually be a serial killer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

proof of concept posted:

I would like to point out that actual ring theory is an important mathematical concept underlying a lot of abstract algebra and I hope that this star wars prequel apologist crap fades away without too many people permanently associating the term "ring theory" with bad pseudo-intellectual film criticism for dipshits as opposed to a real thing with real mathematical scholarship behind it because that would be a real shame.

I mean, in the long term, that obviously won't happen, because math is more important than star wars prequels so it will win out, but I just am annoyed in the meantime that the film criticism ring theory thing is even a thing at all because HOLY poo poo is it ever retarded.

I wanna highlight this post because its the only one in the thread that contains actual learning. Thanks for classing up the place. :unsmith:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mordja posted:

He ate 6 hours for it. :lol:

That man has more business as a mod in that forum than anyone I have ever seen

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

This might not be a fair assessment, but the way that supermechagodzilla guy writes makes me think that he fantasizes about keeping women's heads in his freezer but doesn't have enough IRL self-confidence to actually be a serial killer.

the way he writes makes me think he went through this thought process once and never shook it off and still thinks it's the best thing in the universe

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Calico Heart posted:

And Lucas forcing the plot of TPM into being a mirror of ANH so it would "rhyme" is what ruined the movie. Since he added QuiJon in the 2nd draft just so he could mirror Obi-Wan's arc as a mentor who gets killed, Having Obi-Wan be the guy who finds and mentors Anakin would've made more sense story wise and made for a much better movie instead of having boring old Qui Jon as the lead character.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I hope we get a new Game of Thrones thread here next season so I can avoid tv iv posting and be chill about it.

poo poo even child cartoon analysis about gay space rocks gets weird there when people over invest in characters in their dumb "head canon" poo poo in other show threads and put their pride and shallow identities behind it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

proof of concept posted:

the way he writes makes me think he went through this thought process once and never shook it off and still thinks it's the best thing in the universe

christ almighty Bill Watterson predicted the thinkpiece

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Does CineD analyze any movies that aren't based on comic books or designed to sell toys?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I hope we get a new Game of Thrones thread here next season so I can avoid tv iv posting and be chill about it.

poo poo even child cartoon analysis about gay space rocks gets weird there when people over invest in characters in their dumb "head canon" poo poo in other show threads and put their pride and shallow identities behind it.

I wondered what the heck you were talking about but then I started a game of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and it hit me when I got my first emerald.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Does CineD analyze any movies that aren't based on comic books or designed to sell toys?

I don't think you "get" Cinema Discusso. :smug:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hadaka Apron posted:

Rogue One may be good or bad, but I am looking forward to more movies set in the wider universe with original characters.

All the Star Wars EU novels proved there's a lot of room in that universe for more stories. Most of those were lovely, too, but the good ones were really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't deal with that CineD thread anymore.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the main problem with redlettermedia threads is they always start talking about things that aren't redlettermedia and that way madness lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

dreezy posted:

the main problem with redlettermedia threads is they always start talking about things that aren't redlettermedia and that way madness lies.

WHENS THE NEXT VIDEO?!

• Locked thread