Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Johnny Joestar posted:

after reading that, i definitely agree that spiny levels just need to be gained over time instead of 2 levels of it being tied to a single slot. also that if that god is added then demonspawn shouldn't have spiny anymore

otherwise it makes me sad that the idea being floated around way back of a sea god seems like it'll never happen

why are you even bringing up the topic of removing one of my favourite mutations from one of my favourite races. Don't you know people read these things and actually follow through??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FulsomFrank posted:

why are you even bringing up the topic of removing one of my favourite mutations from one of my favourite races. Don't you know people read these things and actually follow through??

Remove demonspawn

Give everyone Ds mutations. Monstrous octopode :getin:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Make every race have a "demonspawn" flag you can set that lowers all aptitudes by 1 and gives vulnerability to holy wrath in exchange for sweet powers.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

The curse toe lets out a chilling moan.

Needs to be one of the crawl splash pages IMO.

I got this fort in Zot 1 that's all this air stuff - raishu, bunch black draconians, storm dragons, those annoying electric bitches from Snake, a tornado generator. It's pretty tense because I am a longbow high elf with frail and my only rElec is on a +2 great sword.

COULD THIS BE THE END OF THE LAST HIGH ELF? :iiam:

Also I don't know how you did a no resists challenge run, Dongz. I had literally no rC in the game outside of a staff of cold after 4 runes. I used 4 blinks in Depths. A shard shrike simulacrum came around the corner and did 97 pts to me when I took one shot with the bow. I wound up going with IDA in desperation, which is the only time anyone should get into IDA.

I guess I am gonna try it after this. I guess CPA lets you eat a lot of damage - lot of people assume that AC doesn't apply to stuff like fireball. You get rocked by fireball sometimes in heavy armor anyway because GDR does not apply.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

IronicDongz posted:

In my experience, Ogres. But I won with a Merfolk first.
Wudzu, playable here. Wrote some thoughts about it here.

Clarity is niche??? I always wear it and never take it off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FulsomFrank posted:

demonspawn also has multiple other mutations that do pretty much the same thing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

heard u like girls posted:

Lol nice,

is there a gallery or some place you upload all these ?

Nah. Anything I draw I just post on SA if I want to share it. I might make a blog or something for drawings if I improve and do more, though I'm not sure where.

Araganzar posted:

Also I don't know how you did a no resists challenge run, Dongz. I had literally no rC in the game outside of a staff of cold after 4 runes. I used 4 blinks in Depths. A shard shrike simulacrum came around the corner and did 97 pts to me when I took one shot with the bow. I wound up going with IDA in desperation, which is the only time anyone should get into IDA.

IDA is perfectly fine. The thing about it and FDA is they have the exact same encumbrance rating, but IDA provides more AC to balance out the less useful resist. However there are plenty of places where you don't need multiple levels of fire resist, so IDA is better in those areas. When I have a character that is using FDA I usually get a set of IDA to go with it, swapping the two out depending on the area I'm in.

Speleothing posted:

Its niche in the sense that it counters a specific status effect that only a few monsters use. If you're not fighting those monsters then clarity isn't doing anything. Now if you have a piece of *confuse gear or are in Hell, keeping clarity on constantly is understandable.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Johnny Joestar posted:

demonspawn also has multiple other mutations that do pretty much the same thing

I can only think of passive freeze and maybe ignite blood or miasma? Am I missing any? They all behave differently though outside of the "take a hit and maybe something happens" style of play though so I don't know if I'd say that spiny does the same thing as other Demonspawn muts.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Return of tavern.txt:

quote:

Theres nothing morally wrong with brother-sister incest. Its just a weird societal stigma rooted in the fact that inbreeding leads to genetic diseases.

Kudos to whoever guesses the topic this spawned from.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Return of tavern.txt:

does someone ship dowan/duvessa

is that what i'm seeing here

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Floodkiller posted:

Return of tavern.txt:

Umm.. a proposal to have monsters procreate randomly and someone brought up dowan/duvessa. But since you specifically mentioned it, it is probably something totally unrelated like haste reform.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No man, somebody really wants to ship Sigmund and Edmund together with just a touch of transgender magic because polymorph. :v:

Oh of course it's going to be the elven twins.
:suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how that post says there's nothing wrong with incest and then immediately brings up genetic problems caused by it.

Kind of shooting yourself in the foot, no?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
if it's the thread i'm thinking of, there was also discussion of a crawl character being 'raped with an overgrown clit' until a mod removed it

if this is another thread, that's actually funnier

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

honestly the internet has me so desensitized to people being weird about incest that i'm more confused at having any kind of emotional reactions to crawl uniques strong enough to lead to 'what if these two boned'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Before unique titles were added a few versions ago, I thought Dowan and Duvessa were lovers/spouses rather than siblings. The weirdos in tavern probably thought the same, then just never stopped thinking that when they realized they were siblings.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

if it's the thread i'm thinking of, there was also discussion of a crawl character being 'raped with an overgrown clit' until a mod removed it

It wasn't that thread, but thanks for letting me know what got deleted (I guess? :( )

The actual thread was the one complaining about incest jokes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Araganzar posted:

I guess I am gonna try it after this. I guess CPA lets you eat a lot of damage - lot of people assume that AC doesn't apply to stuff like fireball. You get rocked by fireball sometimes in heavy armor anyway because GDR does not apply.
You could also do it in plate or something, I didn't actually get many EA scrolls-could have not gotten the crystal plate but still had better AC due to higher enchantment. Was wearing a +0 cloak all game!

It is true that simulacrum are actually scary sometimes without rC+, which I consider a good thing-made me actually consider when to kill soulbound monsters sometimes.

Speleothing posted:

I mean, it literally doesn't exist outside of Ashenzari and the Autumn Katana anymore, so yes.

And also even if Clarity the amulet still existed, not many things cast confusion, fewer things cast confusion in a situation where it might actually be dangerous, and when you are confused you can just quaff curing. I have never run out of curing from doing this so confusion is sort of meaningless as a status effect IMO, and I would never dedicate an amulet slot to it when such powerful effects as Guardian Spirit and Faith exist. There are literally 2 times I might consider it, #1 is pack of golden eyes in slime(but I'd rather wear MR gear), #2 is being in lichform in a zig with high evo evoking crystal ball for MP to spam lv9 spells thus risking chance of confusion without quaff ability(which is insanely niche and I care about zigs even more rarely than extended)

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm not going to name names but the person you are talking about is a terminally bad poster and I don't know why they weren't banned for that, OR the time BEFORE that where they talked about liking loli

tavern mods keep just deleting the terrible posts but he keeps on making them

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 4, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

I'm not sure why that was even worth mentioning, but yeah that person should probably not be making GBS threads up tavern.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how that post says there's nothing wrong with incest and then immediately brings up genetic problems caused by it.

Kind of shooting yourself in the foot, no?
Please, they said *morally wrong*. :v:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Does anyone really ever get killed by the early game constricting snake ? I feel like they need a buff, cus i mow them down before i even remember they have an ability, in stark contrast with adders who are almost always a pain in the rear end. I don't even remember the drat things name...

And then when i barge into Snake Pit i get killed by anaconda's because they are super dangerous. Asking myself, can i blink out of this, way late in the game.

e; ball pythons (?)

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
ball pythons are at least as threatening as rats, giant cockroaches, and giant newts/"frilled lizards".

it is kind of funny how far it is between constriction threats, though. i don't think anything really shows up between d:1 and snake?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
time's ripe for an early-midgame octopode threat then

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

ball pythons are at least as threatening as rats, giant cockroaches, and giant newts/"frilled lizards".

it is kind of funny how far it is between constriction threats, though. i don't think anything really shows up between d:1 and snake?

Anacondas show up in some Lair endings!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Bring Back Constricting Mimics

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
FR: Constricting Constructs. Grabs you with its cogs, starts overheating. Kill it makes it explode a la Inner Flame. I'd almost suggest flavouring it with different elements than fire that it explodes in a 2 radius ball but that's edging into ugly thing territory. Maybe it doesn't explode if it isn't constricting and just falls to wreckage?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is this a real thing that is real or have I been trolled or...?

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/34fa0a254aeb

I don't know enough about dev and how to read these.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

Is this a real thing that is real or have I been trolled or...?

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/34fa0a254aeb

I don't know enough about dev and how to read these.

It's real. Haste has been removed from the Book of Enchantments, which means spell Haste is no longer obtainable for any player. This change has been discussed for a long while and we're finally doing something about it.

This is part of an email I wrote regarding removal of Haste spell. I hope this helps to clears up to you why this change was made:

quote:

Crawl should not have a spell that straight up multiplies the player's power without any truly interesting interactions. Existing as a spell, once it is castable, the player should have Haste up for every single fight. The contamination drawback is almost meaningless: in most cases it just increases time spent resting, and in a situation where the player needs to extend Haste or die, very clearly the immediate benefit outweighs the risk of a minor malmutation.

As a consumable resource, the player at least has to consider which fights to expend Haste charges on. As a spell, this decision does not exist.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sure, I get where this is coming from. It's not like I expect every choice to be interesting, but of course the focus will go on what the devs want to focus on so the game continues to evolve. It wasn't the end of the world when the delay was halved for boots of running either, so it's not like I'm rage quitting or anything.

I mainly just wanted to make sure I was actually seeing the change to actual crawl and not like some offshoot, thanks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only real drawback to haste was that you couldn't worship Chei, the best god, while using it.

Charms school is becoming pretty bad at higher levels though. Do devs want it to be another poison magic case where there's pretty much never a reason to have a high investment in it?

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Is there any particular reason why spriggan hunter is not a recommended combo? I'm currently rolling one using a crossbow and discovered they can use triple crossbows, which basically means they are super-centaurs without hp or armour. But that doesn't really seem to matter much since triple crossbows splatter things before they can get more than one shot off usually. Of course if it is an oversight that they can use triple crossbows then that makes more sense, but even arbalests are impressive.

On another note, haste was long past its expiration date as a spell, but it does beg the question of what exactly does charms offer at higher levels now? Are there new spells planned or is it destined for poison magic status?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I can't speak for other developers, but I don't personally want Charms to be relegated to low-XP-investment status. Ideas are welcome for powerful Charms, of course :) And, also of course, the usual caveats apply: it shouldn't be applicable in every single fight.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Anacondas show up in some Lair endings!

FR: If you have no bread rations in your inventory, anacondas do not attack.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Deaths door is a very powerful and good (both player side and design side) high level charms spell.

What else does charms have in the 6+ range?
Ring of Flames, I guess. That exists for people in that niche who have a lot of extra spell slots.
Nothing else comes to mind.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Might as well just get rid of Charms entirely. Make Infusion a Conjuration spell, adjust the flavor of Song of Slaying and put it into Necromancy, and make everything else a single school spell.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Is there room for a spell equivalent of the Power Within pyromancy from Dark Souls? That is, apply a substantial damage buff to yourself in exchange for damage over time as long as the buff persists.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Konstantin posted:

Might as well just get rid of Charms entirely. Make Infusion a Conjuration spell, adjust the flavor of Song of Slaying and put it into Necromancy, and make everything else a single school spell.
In that case, slot them back into Hexes instead and rename Hexes back to Enchantments. Although if you made Song of Slaying necromancy(song of death?) you could merge it with Cigotuvi's, thus making Cigotuvi's less bad.

Ring of Flames sucks rear end remarkably hard

Tarezax posted:

Is there room for a spell equivalent of the Power Within pyromancy from Dark Souls? That is, apply a substantial damage buff to yourself in exchange for damage over time as long as the buff persists.
Perhaps, although it would exist in a system where Sublimation of Blood and Regeneration both exist(one already sacrificing HP for MP, the other regaining HP and being in one or both of the same schools this would likely be in).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's no reason why ring of flames shouldn't have infinite duration. It has several obvious downsides and it's niche enough that the people who actually want to use it have zero problems recasting it whenever they want, it just wastes time and annoys.

It could probably be dropped down to level 6 and still be real niche, but people might use it outside of Gehenna/Tomb.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Obviously we need a high level Pois/Charm combo spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Brannock posted:

I can't speak for other developers, but I don't personally want Charms to be relegated to low-XP-investment status. Ideas are welcome for powerful Charms, of course :) And, also of course, the usual caveats apply: it shouldn't be applicable in every single fight.

I would honestly prefer Charms to be nixed, moving the spells into weapon brands, armor egos, and god powers (or just removed). Almost all Charms have the problem of always wanting to be on in every fight. The only Charms spells that really avoid the situation of wanting to cast it (or pre-cast it) for every fight is Death's Door and Swiftness (I don't feel the change to Ozo's was as successful). It just seems better to relegate the spells to either equipment (or unrandarts) with the intention of it being always on (but a trade off to filling the slot with resistances/artifacts), or to God powers where it isn't encouraged to blow your piety and spam it every fight.

If you are just looking for brainstorming ideas on high level Charms, however (not all ideas may fit what I just complained about; do as I say, not as I do :v:):
-Combine Shroud and Summon Guardian Golem into a shield that absorbs damage, but explodes in a 3x3 area centered on the caster when too much is taken before the spell wears off (also damaging the caster)
-A sort of Haste equivalent that speeds up your actions on a scale based on how damaged you are, but prevents healing from any source for the duration+a cooldown period.
-Move Silence to Charms
-Enchant yourself with blinding light that makes you visible and stealth zero, is very load, but reduces accuracy of incoming attacks
-Enchantment that makes all damage heal you instead, but damage is either converted to contamination for the duration, or total damage taken is converted to poison (potentially lethal amounts) after buff wears off
-Infusion style charm that increases melee power at the cost of HP per swing
-Aura that reduces all resistances for both the caster and any monster in the aura for the duration (maybe based on spell power?)

(I basically just took Dota skills and tried to give them downsides to using them :ssh:)

• Locked thread