Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I read Kase-san. My opinion is that it is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have honestly *never* come across NTR before now, as a reader of mostly BL and some random shoujo or shounen as well, but not much yuri until recently (I actually find it kinda charming and adorably horribly enough). Though I am a slightly unusual gay guy, I suppose, in that my mom is also gay and I was mostly raised by lesbians with my mom and her community of friends and I've recently found out that several of my favorite teachers were closeted lesbians so, yeah, lotta lesbians in my upbringing. You'd think it'd make me less gay, really.

But anyway, I do find it kinda odd about the NTR thing not being a BL trope at all. I'm seriously not kidding, I just had to look up what it meant. I've even found threads about this and the yaoi readers are similarly bewildered by the acronym and nobody can really think up any titles that use NTR as a trope. There were like maybe a FEW (most which I had not read or heard of) that sorta fit, the one that was mentioned that I knew didn't fit at all because the example was just the uke getting abducted against his will.

I honestly don't know. The trope that yaoi *does* use every now and then is that typically the uke will catch the seme (it can be the other way around but not often) in a compromising moment that is either the result of the seme doing something kind that is misunderstood, or a result of a jealous ex of one of the characters manufacturing some plot to break them up. Or the uke (usually one of the cliche airheaded variety) winds up getting taken along in some sinister plot by someone the seme knows is interested in rape/coercing them or something, and infidelity gets (mostly, kinda, usually not really) avoided that way generally by the seme saving the day in a cliche manner, occasionally after we see some awful non-con sex intended to be hot. You know, jealousy is just used often as a basic plot point - often a character feeling jealous is a catalyst for them realizing that they "actually *gasp* like a boy!", and that's how the emotion is utilized.

I honestly find it kind of fascinating, this NTR stuff. The concept of it is just so utterly alien to me as a trope. In a way, I would be totally fascinated to read BL manga about a couple where the protagonist gets dumped by his hot bishi bisexual boyfriend for a woman (or hell, even another guy!), and we have to deal with the legitimate aftermath for that particular cuckolded character. But I am not kidding when I say that I *cannot* think of a BL manga that follows any kind of plotline like that. I really... Can't think of one, honestly. Can't think of a truly and totally cuckolded main character like that in *any* yaoi.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
NTR is gross and I'm glad it's not something I have to regularly dodge when looking for manga to read.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't like NTR, but I understand there are people who do. :shrug:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
NTR is an abbreviation of the manga's name, and what it is filled with. Netsuzou Trap. :eng101:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
What does everyone have against the National Transcontinental Railway?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

What does everyone have against the National Transcontinental Railway?

Those cheating bastard trains, that's what

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everything Burrito posted:

NTR is gross and I'm glad it's not something I have to regularly dodge when looking for manga to read.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Schubalts posted:

NTR is an abbreviation of the manga's name, and what it is filled with. Netsuzou Trap. :eng101:

Wait, I thought it was an abbreviation for "netorare"?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It is. The manga is NTR, in title and content. Netsuzou Trap gets abbreviated as NTR, and it is also a manga almost entirely about netorare.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Memento Mori is cool http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/memento-mori-r18940

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I need some happy romance manga (Bonnouji-style) to lift my spirits up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is there a manga with 3P theme? I feel like this is the rarest :v:

No love triangles since they don't count.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honeymoon Salad, maybe?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Psyche Delico wrote a couple

e: Choco Strawberry Vanilla (or something like that) is the main one I was thinking about, 3 guys living completely as a poly unit. The other one I can't recall the title, it's two older guys and a younger one who gets caught up between them -- it's more of a triangle but they're all eventually aware of each other and reach a sort of mutual arrangement, it's a good story -- a bit dark and bittersweet, the title is something like Even a Dog Won't Eat It but I can't remember exactly.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alder posted:

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ephemeral_asterism

May not be exactly that but gently caress it, Amagakure Gido is always worth linking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alder posted:

I mean.... Shoujo Sect gets there. Eventually, but it's kind of smutty.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I need some happy romance manga (Bonnouji-style) to lift my spirits up.

Asking for something like Bonnouji is the easiest way to get no answers, because there's not really much out there like it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://bato.to/reader#e5e73385c73fa383 !!!

I hope we keep getting multiple chapters of Fujiyama a week until the end of the volume.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That might be my favorite chapter of the series so far. Just adorable.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Itsuya-san by Sahara Mizu is being translated again. I love it so much - lovely atmosphere, great art, sweet characters, and a little bit of mystery with the magic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

Asking for something like Bonnouji is the easiest way to get no answers, because there's not really much out there like it.

You're right, wrong example. I just need something uplifting, I guess.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, wrong example. I just need something uplifting, I guess.

Hopefully someone else will have actually good recommendations, but here's something that might help tide you over: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kawaii-hito-r16050

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

Hopefully someone else will have actually good recommendations, but here's something that might help tide you over: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kawaii-hito-r16050

Oooh, that was good. Wish there were more chapters.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I decided to take a random manga off the shelf I hadn't read before, and wound up with Kiss Blue by Keiko Kinoshita. Surprisingly, it's actually kinda good - the drawing style more retro and much more realistic than the typical bishie style you see in yaoi - I dunno if I would even *consider* the character to be bishounen - probably not. But I like yaoi like this, still. It's a fairly typical set-up - a pair of best friends, one realizes he likes the other more than as a friend. What makes this *particular* one work for me was the surprising maturity of the dialogue, really.

It actually captured that unbelievably awful and hopeless feeling of being stuck with yourself and wishing you could crush your feelings to death inside you - a paraphrase from a line in this manga just now. So really - surprisingly good dialogue/translation/localization work DMG in this case, too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That yuri amnesia one-shot got picked up for serialization. :toot:

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/bright_and_cheery_amnesia

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

z0glin Warchief posted:

I was smiling the whole time I read this. It's adorable.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That story is really very cute. In a way, it's like a totally earnest take on the formula from "His Favorite" by Suzuki Tanaka.

By the, if you haven't read His Favorite it's actually totally goddamn hilarious and fantastic, and contains no 'yaoi' content beyond like, kissing and holding hands. Mostly it's a shoujo comedy about the hottest guy in school being madly in love with the supposed "ugliest" guy in school (he somewhat resembles the kappa water monster). The book focuses on the main couple, but it has this really broad cast of characters - gay, straight, into s&m, whatever - and it all just plays out really well, in a really well constructed way.

Tanaka draws with bigger/thicker lines than most mangaka seem to, and it gives her a very consistent and cute look. Reading this manga is like... eating popcorn, or cotton candy. It's so fluffy, silly, and lightweight. It has no fear of breaking the fourth wall, openly acknowledging silly BL and shoujo tropes and playing around with them. Yoshioka has two straight ugly loser friends who are GREAT and the sorts of characters you never see *realistically* portrayed in manga generally, I think, but because this is BL they can get away with it. The whole thing is just REALLY goddamn funny, and works out. Tanaka has a *perfect* sense of comedic timing, and the use of negative space, and the sheer creativity of bizarre expressions she manages to twist Yoshida's face into. It's always the highest compliment I can give, in a way: her work seemed vaguely influenced by Calvin and Hobbes, and I always love getting a sense of that from any manga.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

As far as healing manga goes, one of the few series I've found that come close is Wife & Wife.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oh right, the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel is going on. What's more shoujo than that?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Cardcaptor-Sakura-Clear-Card-Arc

D. Ebdrup posted:

As far as healing manga goes, one of the few series I've found that come close is Wife & Wife.

Wife & wife owns bones. The only problem is there isn't more of it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

That yuri amnesia one-shot got picked up for serialization. :toot:

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/bright_and_cheery_amnesia
Indirect bra-ing?

kaworu posted:

That story is really very cute. In a way, it's like a totally earnest take on the formula from "His Favorite" by Suzuki Tanaka.

By the, if you haven't read His Favorite it's actually totally goddamn hilarious and fantastic, and contains no 'yaoi' content beyond like, kissing and holding hands. Mostly it's a shoujo comedy about the hottest guy in school being madly in love with the supposed "ugliest" guy in school (he somewhat resembles the kappa water monster). The book focuses on the main couple, but it has this really broad cast of characters - gay, straight, into s&m, whatever - and it all just plays out really well, in a really well constructed way.

Tanaka draws with bigger/thicker lines than most mangaka seem to, and it gives her a very consistent and cute look. Reading this manga is like... eating popcorn, or cotton candy. It's so fluffy, silly, and lightweight. It has no fear of breaking the fourth wall, openly acknowledging silly BL and shoujo tropes and playing around with them. Yoshioka has two straight ugly loser friends who are GREAT and the sorts of characters you never see *realistically* portrayed in manga generally, I think, but because this is BL they can get away with it. The whole thing is just REALLY goddamn funny, and works out. Tanaka has a *perfect* sense of comedic timing, and the use of negative space, and the sheer creativity of bizarre expressions she manages to twist Yoshida's face into. It's always the highest compliment I can give, in a way: her work seemed vaguely influenced by Calvin and Hobbes, and I always love getting a sense of that from any manga.
No link for the cute gay manga that's apparently influenced by Calvin and Hobbes? :v:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Poil posted:

Indirect bra-ing?

It's a play on "indirect kiss" ("kansetsu kiss" -> "kansetsu bra", in the JP).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

z0glin Warchief posted:

It's a play on "indirect kiss" ("kansetsu kiss" -> "kansetsu bra", in the JP).
Oh, that's almost what I thought. Thanks. :)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Poil posted:

Indirect bra-ing?

No link for the cute gay manga that's apparently influenced by Calvin and Hobbes? :v:

It's licensed, you can find it on amazon

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The influence is pretty subtle, too - I am mostly talking about Hinako Takanaga's sense of near-perfect comedic timing, as well as her skill with making unconventional page payouts that actually flow naturally to the eye.

I would definitely not compare her *writing* or *dialogue* or *characters* to C&H - those are entirely different. From the perspective of a reader of comic books, however, I have a huge admiration for the aforemtioned things. There's also a sense... intellectual whimsy, for lack of a better word, that I find in Takanaga's work as opposed to MANY MANY other mangaka. Her writing just gives off a greater air of both intelligence and awareness that you frankly *do not* find in most yaoi writers out there, who often seem to be going through the motions,

I remember reading some afterword where she listed here favorite queer movies, and they were just AMAZING.... Ah, I found it. Gonna relist the films that, according to Hinako Takanaga, "Enriched and edified my youth, [I[ practically grew up on them.... They are now a part of the many homosexual and homoerotic films which make up my blood and body." They are...

The Wedding Banquet - Ang Lee
Sebastiane - Derek Jarman
Edward II - Derek Jarman
Maurce - [adapted from E.M. Forster]
My Own Private Idaho - Gus Van Sant (of course)
L'Homme Blesse - Patrice Chéreau (underrated and less known than it should be)
Ai no Kusabi (of course?)

It seems to me that a woman who grew up on early Van Sant, Jarman, and some of the best, most intelligent and incisive western queer films that ever got made during that era (where is My Beautiful Laundrette, though?) would inevitably write and draw manga that gave off a sense of some of those things.

I am *probably* erroneous in comparing her to Bill Watterson. That was *probably* not accurate or fair - I was thinking about her use of negative space at times and creativity in panel layouts and the obvious maturity of her satire at times.

Like, a true comparison to Bill Watterson would be, I don't know.... D.C./Dana Simpson and what she's always done since Ozy and Millie onwards. She *truly* is the next best thing to Bill Watterson that we have today,.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't care for His Favorite all that much tbh, although I did read a pretty huge chunk of it (like, multiple volumes lol). I was on board with the "hunky guy loves the ugly troll kid" plot but it lost me with the more absurd comedy parts, like I hated the whole fat camp flashback because it was just too off the wall for me but that's more personal preference, I'm not really into that kind of comedy. I also found some of the teasing and bullying to be more mean than funny. Basically I liked it enough to read through some scans when I was bored one day but not enough to want to actually buy it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

I didn't care for His Favorite all that much tbh, although I did read a pretty huge chunk of it (like, multiple volumes lol). I was on board with the "hunky guy loves the ugly troll kid" plot but it lost me with the more absurd comedy parts, like I hated the whole fat camp flashback because it was just too off the wall for me but that's more personal preference, I'm not really into that kind of comedy. I also found some of the teasing and bullying to be more mean than funny. Basically I liked it enough to read through some scans when I was bored one day but not enough to want to actually buy it.

I think you are getting your similarly named yaoi mangaka confused a bit, dear :) Suzuki Tanaka did His Favorite, not Hinako Takanaga. This is why organizing my entire freaking 800-volume collection alphabetical by author was so crazy-making!

But yeah Takanaga is mostly known for the infamous Koisuru Boukun (Tyrant Falls in Love) which I find a bit tasteless at times but kinda fun.

Her best work, IMO, is her stuff that skirts between fluffy/angsty slice of life, comedy, and angst, sorta. My favorite thing she ever did was Little Butterfly which is just a really gorgeous, perfect little piece of high school romance. It is *far and away* my favorite yaoi series out ALL the "high school romances" out there. Better than Seven day Series or even perfect short little stories like The Blue Parasol on The Beach from Apple and Honey, or Seven Day Series, or whatever. I dunno, she just hits a note with that particularly story that really stuck with me. It's only three volumes and they are super-cheap to get your hands on still, mostly. Though the omnibus of all three volumes is what I have and recommend (mine is out on loan who knows if I'll get it back :o:).

Bukiya na Silent (Awkward Silence) which Sublime has released, is also quite good. The first several volumes are really fun, though it devolves a bit in the latter ones depending on how you feel about the second couple that she develops.

Anyway, she's probably always going to be known for Tyrant, her most popular work, which I think is *kind of* a shame. But all her manga (not just that one) tend to have really awesome, original, identifiable main characters. And like I said before, she has a great feel for fantastic punchlines, using negative space and timing for comedic effect, using chibi at just the right time to undercut the seriousness of a scene that might otherwise be too heavy-handed... she just has a masterful intuitive sense of what works.

Even her minor collections of one-shots (Liberty, Liberty!, Croquis) are quite good, or some of her lesser-known pure comedy stuff (Love Round released by Deux) is honestly really pretty hilariously fun to read. Her manga just always seem to tower above most others in terms of pure talent and raw ability, IMO.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

I think you are getting your similarly named yaoi mangaka confused a bit, dear :) Suzuki Tanaka did His Favorite, not Hinako Takanaga. This is why organizing my entire freaking 800-volume collection alphabetical by author was so crazy-making!

But yeah Takanaga is mostly known for the infamous Koisuru Boukun (Tyrant Falls in Love) which I find a bit tasteless at times but kinda fun.

ah whoops, I was going from where His Favorite was mentioned earlier, didn't noticed the shift in authors. I agree on Tyrant, I've read enough of it now I'm invested but it's got problems. I really love Awkward Silence though, it's so sweet.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A lot of conflict! in the new kaguya chapter

http://bato.to/reader#d7f50fe666a2cbc5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST gently caress ALREADY!