Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange sky
May 7, 2007

badjohny posted:

They keep saying that it was made by google inside and out...but the hardware all seems pretty off the shelf?

And they said it was the only phone with the assistant built in, what does that mean? Is there a co processor or is it just the first with it installed?

Probably gonna be an exclusive for some time until they include it in some update?

E: Also, let's see what it gives us in terms of VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

$900 CAD before tax is not an "average" price.

:lol: this will be priced at the same as the iPhone 7 32GB or S7 edge 32GB

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like a good phone for an average price?

It's poo poo!!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

$900 CAD before tax is not an "average" price.

I meant for a top of the line price. I mean, I don't know anything about what phones go for in CAD, I was talking about US.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

THF13 posted:

drat guess I'm sticking with my cracked screen 6p for another year.

Same. Or just buying a new one if they drop to $300.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The only unique thing about this phone is the camera.

Most of what they described is software or image processor.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

I meant for a top of the line price. I mean, I don't know anything about what phones go for in CAD, I was talking about US.

It seems decidedly average and there's no reason to buy it over even Sarnsung's offerings.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

logikv9 posted:

wait is it really verizon exclusive? like, no GSM versions even from the google store? :eyepop:

No, Verizon is the only carrier that will be selling it, but you can buy it unlocked from Google and other sources.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like a good phone for an average price?
Expected to be at least 700€ here. For that price I get a similarly sized iPhone 7 with same storage. And it would be faster and water resistant, too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Protocol7 posted:

It seems decidedly average and there's no reason to buy it even over Sarnsung's offerings.

Well except it's not a Samsung.

eames
May 9, 2009

google cardboard covered by hipster fabric

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Google VR as a fashion accessory.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Expected to be at least 700€ here. For that price I get a similarly sized iPhone 7 with same storage. And it would be faster and water resistant, too.

But *ahem* headphone jack and camera bump

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Sure it's average for a "top of the line price", and it's not even close to a "top of the line" phone. Country doesn't matter, I did a direct currency conversion there.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:lol: what the gently caress is this ridiculous fashionista VR poo poo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe in 5 years VR will be a thing people buy

orange sky
May 7, 2007

clicky things

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This guy is one of Rob Lowe's illegitimate child.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ijii posted:

No mention of removable storage. Sorry Pixel, you're not for me. I'm not a fan of cloud crap.

If you were expecting Google, who have not had expandable storage in phones for the past 5 generation of phones they have put out, to make a phone with expandable storage now, you need to pull your head out of your rear end.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Well except it's not a Samsung.

Can't emphasize this enough. Would buy this over an S7 or Note 7 simply because it seems much more like a good marriage of hardware and software to create an experience that I don't feel like I have to fight to get to work well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

and it's not even close to a "top of the line" phone

what?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

logikv9 posted:

wait is it really verizon exclusive? like, no GSM versions even from the google store? :eyepop:

Nah, unlocked on the Store.

I'll probably wait a week and get it on sale.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I paid $649 for the original Nexus 6 and I'm not making that mistake again. I'll think about it when I can get a used one for $400 in 6 months

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Actually good colour names, not that hard

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

But *ahem* headphone jack and camera bump
My 5X has a camera bump, too. The headphone jack is kinda annoying, but otherwise I get better quality hardware for a similar price point. If the Pixel was water and dust resistant, I'd be more willing to spring for it.

I guess I'll stick some longer with the 5X. Ironically, the headphone jack is starting to have issues. :suicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The base Pixel at that price is 32GB, no IP68, awkward physical design including that bezel, small size, camera is nothing new, mediocre battery. That's not a top-of-the-line phone, for a top-of-the-line price.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You can find the Fantastic Beasts here.

*motions at crotch*

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sure it's average for a "top of the line price", and it's not even close to a "top of the line" phone. Country doesn't matter, I did a direct currency conversion there.

^^
They're saying it's a best-ever camera, how's that "nothing new"? Saying IP68 is required to be a "top of the line phone" seems kinda weird to me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The base Pixel at that price is 32GB, no IP68, awkward physical design including that bezel, small size, camera is nothing new, mediocre battery. That's not a top-of-the-line phone, for a top-of-the-line price.

This is wrong thinking, but this isn't the thread for the discussion. I'm sure we'll have it later in the Android thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't care about VR.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There are no aliens in Eve.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

teagone posted:

I don't care about VR.

fascinating!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That Fantastic Beast thing had a really terrible framerate. Way to kill the buzz with lovely experiences.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Argh the hiss in her voice

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Google 2016: isolating you from human interaction.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What do you think the headset will cost? $150

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The 6P and 5X are no longer on sale on Google's store, but nothing up for the Pixel. Does that usually happen right after the keynote, or later?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This is wrong thinking, but this isn't the thread for the discussion. I'm sure we'll have it later in the Android thread.

How is it wrong thinking to not want to pay $900 plus tax (which brings it over $1000) for this :confused: We can talk about it later I guess?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The real question is how many times it gets lapped in real world speed tests by top competitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Combat Pretzel posted:

That Fantastic Beast thing had a really terrible framerate. Way to kill the buzz with lovely experiences.

Huh I thought if VR wasn't at least 60 fps people puke everywhere

• Locked thread