Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange sky
May 7, 2007

I think there's actually money in VR tourism. I still think about opening a company around that someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is it wrong thinking to not want to pay $900 plus tax (which brings it over $1000) for this :confused: We can talk about it later I guess?

That is not the same thing as saying it's not a high end phone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Since you all hate this, I hope one of you is interested in a slightly used 6P. I'll have one for sale later this month.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That's not a Dinosaur.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

$79 is a good price for that thing

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What do you think the headset will cost? $150

$79

EDIT: beaten.

Home stuff, here we go

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Itsa me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thermopyle posted:

$79 is a good price for that thing

Are people going to use them out in public? Will I be seeing someone wearing that on the train to work watching YouTube?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

a fleshy snood posted:

Huh I thought if VR wasn't at least 60 fps people puke everywhere
Depends on the person, but with low framerates, it just sucks and can induce the nausea way faster due to the larger disconnect between eyes and ear.

--edit: Called it high quality. Jesus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

^^
They're saying it's a best-ever camera, how's that "nothing new"? Saying IP68 is required to be a "top of the line phone" seems kinda weird to me.

It's impressive that every phone that ever comes out has a "best-ever" camera. Could this be marketing speak?

And given that phones of the same price and cheaper have IP68, yes, it should be considered a requirement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

teagone posted:

Are people going to use them out in public? Will I be seeing someone wearing that on the train to work watching YouTube?

No. I mean, do you see people out in public using the Gear VR or cardboard or whatever?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Honestly, with some QCs it may be the best thing to happen to air travel.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Will the phone come with any sort of extras, maybe they'll include a Chromecast.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cant manage to do simple parenting tasks like feeding your children? Google WiFi is here to help!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Google Wifi: tense family dinner edition

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Google Wifi guarnateed to HTTPS MITM attack and slurp up your data.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
DXOMark Pixel review is up: https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixel-smartphone-camera-review-At-the-top

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Google Wifi is here to make petty passive-aggression easier for the 21st century.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Will the phone come with any sort of extras, maybe they'll include a Chromecast.

Free unlimited storage for photos and videos at original (E.g. not compressed/shrunk) resolution is all I heard. Probably a working and safe USB-C charger which is a pretty big thing these days.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a senior network engineer Google WiFi seems like a terrible idea.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

XIII posted:

Google Wifi: tense family dinner edition

Seriously what kind of guy shuts down the router at dinner time

also couldn't the kids just use their cell signal?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ha they pack-in the ethernet adapter. That make my CC usable.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

It's impressive that every phone that ever comes out has a "best-ever" camera. Could this be marketing speak?

And given that phones of the same price and cheaper have IP68, yes, it should be considered a requirement.

Obviously it's marketing speak, hence why I said it's their claim. They at least attempted to back it up via some sort of third party rating, though I don't know how legit that is. If what they're saying about the phone is remotely correct, I don't see how it doesn't sound on par with other top of the line phones.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Prolly gonna get one of them at least

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What the gently caress NOW you have an ethernet port on the Chromecast?

God dammit I got to buy another one of these fuckers just to get a useable Chromecast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wonder what the price spread on storage is. $649 starting is much more palatable if the 128gb is like $700.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kirios posted:

God dammit I got to buy another one of these fuckers just to get a useable Chromecast.
Aren't they like 30 bucks?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol it reads like the Trump doctor note (shitloads of superlatives) but then again the images back it up, they make the S7 look like it has broken AWB.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
6P is still the front item on google.com/store

No longer available.
HAHAHAHAHA

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

$15, heh. https://store.google.com/product/ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kirios posted:

You need one to transfer 4k consistently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Something like that, though $30 is a lot for something he has deemed unusable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Google home actually requires you to wear that face mic

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You need one to transfer 4k consistently.

Absolutely, AC can't hang with that consistently. I'm just irritated it took them so long...first gen Chromecast is an absolute joke for anything beyond 480p.

Endless Mike posted:

Something like that, though $30 is a lot for something he has deemed unusable.

2nd gen Chromecast struggles doing 1080p at times and because it's on 5 Ghz the range is terrible. First gen is only GN so even basic 720p causes it to struggle. An ethernet port was an obvious choice and should have happened earlier.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Dude keeps on triggering voice search on my phone when doing these examples.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have no issue streaming 4k from Vudu over N wifi.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kirios posted:

Absolutely, AC can't hang with that consistently. I'm just irritated it took them so long...first gen Chromecast is an absolute joke for anything beyond 480p.

I stream 1080p movies all the time?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Kirios posted:

2nd gen Chromecast struggles doing 1080p at times and because it's on 5 Ghz the range is terrible. First gen is only GN so even basic 720p causes it to struggle. An ethernet port was an obvious choice and should have happened earlier.

You've been able to buy an Ethernet adapter for Chromecast since gen 1 from the Google store

E: https://store.google.com/product/ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Does it need the USB port? I power both of mine from the TV as I'm sure most do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The make or break thing with this Google Home thing is how good it is at recognizing your voice in your house compared to your phone thats always on you. Hard to put that on a feature list though other than say "it does it good".

• Locked thread