Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

S6 Active, 6.0.1 -- How do I disable OTA updates? I'm getting them all the time, they interrupt what I'm doing on my phone, disable it for 5-25 minutes at a time at inconvenient times, and are breaking features that I actually use on the phone. I want to completely disable all updates until a root comes available for this phone. How do I go about doing this?

You have a Samsung, you're objectively lying and you're definitely not getting them all the time.

Update your drat phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My Nexus 6 finally got 7.0 last night. Jesus Christ, Google. loving finally

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My Nexus 6 finally got 7.0 last night. Jesus Christ, Google. loving finally

They had to push it out before they announce 7.1.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

You have a Samsung, you're objectively lying and you're definitely not getting them all the time.

Update your drat phone.

I have had three this (last) month....

Is there no possible way to block updates?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RVProfootballer posted:

Or we could wait two hours before melting down

But enough about charging Notes 7. :rimshot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

I have had three this (last) month....

Is there no possible way to block updates?

The only possibly way you've had 3 this month is if you've been ignoring them for months.

Update your drat phone.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only possibly way you've had 3 this month is if you've been ignoring them for months.

Update your drat phone.

He's waiting on root access to happen so can't update his phone. (Root is never happening, it's a Samsung. Update your drat phone.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

havenwaters posted:

He's waiting on root access to happen so can't update his phone. (Root is never happening, it's a Samsung. Update your drat phone.)

I know. My answer is the same :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Updates keep loving poo poo up. I've had the following issues all after OTA updates were force-ran:

- Samsung pay ads started coming in regularly as notifications. Samsung tech support remoted into my phone to disable THREE times and the last time the dude hosed with a bunch of my apps and now I get random errors (ie if someone txts me while I'm browing a page I get a error that can't be disabled). Yes this was the real Samsung support on the real Samsung website.

- OK Google no longer works. I used to use this on my motorcycle intercom.

- Bluetooth stopped pairing entirely with my intercom system

- Roughly half my contacts were combined. For example, about 15 of my friends came in as my grandma's number. After a meticulous process of removing them and re-sorting them I discovered a handful that are still combined, but not in the prior way, they're permanantly mixed up. I tried Samsung phone support this time and they were unable to resolve the issue at all, recommending I drive to Best Buy and have the guy image my phone. To this day I have three friends who I can call but can't text. I'll eventually get down to BB and try the fixes but I'm busy as gently caress this month.

These things all happened after an OTA update (different updates at different times). I posted about the Samsung pay ads issue on reddit and got downvoted. I'm getting hostility here as well. All I want is to be able to use my poo poo the way it's designed. I'll happily run this update if I can convince you guys to tell me how to block subsequent ones. My concern is that if I let it keep shipping updates then things are going to continue to break as that has been the pattern so far. I have no freaking clue why I'm getting so many updates pushed to my phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh they're starting to talk about hardware. Disappointment incoming...

--edit: nvm, there's a thread.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

That doesn't make sense, you can't ignore them. It literally tells you it's updating and then reboots the phone in the middle of use.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

Updates keep loving poo poo up. I've had the following issues all after OTA updates were force-ran:

- Samsung pay ads started coming in regularly as notifications. Samsung tech support remoted into my phone to disable THREE times and the last time the dude hosed with a bunch of my apps and now I get random errors (ie if someone txts me while I'm browing a page I get a error that can't be disabled). Yes this was the real Samsung support on the real Samsung website.

- OK Google no longer works. I used to use this on my motorcycle intercom.

- Bluetooth stopped pairing entirely with my intercom system

- Roughly half my contacts were combined. For example, about 15 of my friends came in as my grandma's number. After a meticulous process of removing them and re-sorting them I discovered a handful that are still combined, but not in the prior way, they're permanantly mixed up. I tried Samsung phone support this time and they were unable to resolve the issue at all, recommending I drive to Best Buy and have the guy image my phone. To this day I have three friends who I can call but can't text. I'll eventually get down to BB and try the fixes but I'm busy as gently caress this month.

These things all happened after an OTA update (different updates at different times). I posted about the Samsung pay ads issue on reddit and got downvoted. I'm getting hostility here as well. All I want is to be able to use my poo poo the way it's designed. I'll happily run this update if I can convince you guys to tell me how to block subsequent ones. My concern is that if I let it keep shipping updates then things are going to continue to break as that has been the pattern so far. I have no freaking clue why I'm getting so many updates pushed to my phone.

What the poo poo? Paid ads I've never seen on now 4 Samsung devices in a row. None of them at my entire company have paid ads. Your phone is hosed. OK Google breaking is weird and you'll have to elaborate on what you mean. Bluetooth, do other devices work? Contact issue I have no idea. Taking your phone to Best Buy to.....image??..... :stare:

I'm out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

It's random poo poo like this every time I boot my phone and every 2-3 days. It's always a different tagline.

I swear to god I'm not making this poo poo up. I've had so many issues with this phone that it's sworn me off Samsung forever. I'll be replacing it in a few months.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I should add that all Samsung pay poo poo is disabled as far as the phone will allow me. And again, Samsung support themselves remoted in and went through a process to attempt to disable these ads three separate times and yet they still come up.

All I want is to shut off updates for the next few months to buy me some time to buy a new phone. I just spent like 800 loving bucks on this thing and I'm taking a huge loss on it as-is. I just want to freeze the current state of suck where it's at so I can rely on it until I replace it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

I've had so many issues with this phone that it's sworn me off Samsung forever.

Congrats on learning from experience, that so rarely happens haha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you don't want to use Samsung Pay, go into the Application Manager, and disable Samsung Pay. Or, tap and hold on the notification, and block notifications from Samsung Pay. It's really not difficult, you're being weird about this.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you don't want to use Samsung Pay, go into the Application Manager, and disable Samsung Pay. Or, tap and hold on the notification, and block notifications from Samsung Pay. It's really not difficult, you're being weird about this.

Again, that's already been done. Why am I being weird?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

Again, that's already been done. Why am I being weird?

Can you please take a screenshot showing that's been done? Because if it has, you should not be getting notifications from it anymore.

Source: I use Samsung device(s)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you please take a screenshot showing that's been done? Because if it has, you should not be getting notifications from it anymore.

Source: I use Samsung device(s)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You haven't disabled Samsung Pay in that screenshot.

What about the notification block I mentioned?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

You haven't disabled Samsung Pay in that screenshot.

What about the notification block I mentioned?

Samsung Pay doesn't appear in the previous notifications screen, only in the shot I posted under advanced. Samsung Pay itself cannot be disabled.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

Samsung Pay doesn't appear in the previous notifications screen, only in the shot I posted under advanced. Samsung Pay itself cannot be disabled.

whomp whooomp

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

When you tap and hold on the notification, which you say is a paid ad, what options does it show?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

When you tap and hold on the notification, which you say is a paid ad, what options does it show?

By the way here's a nice twofer for you guys, this just happened:

But seriously is it possible to turn off updates or not?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well on that notification front, I guess that sucks for you then? We don't have Samsung Pay here. Just hit "later" and get over it, and don't buy a Samsung next time.

revmoo posted:

No, update your drat phone.

vvvv I'm starting to think you're just weird

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Oh yeah I forgot my other favorite "feature" of this PoS phone. It butt-dials loving constantly. Even after I added a pattern lock (which I loving despise) it's still doing it. The other day it ordered an Lyft to a random location across town and I had to pay a $5 cancellation fee.

Seriously don't buy an S6A.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

Figures. That's all I was asking about, I appreciate the efforts to debug this thing but as I said before I was just trying to freeze the level of suck so I don't get to play "What's today's update going to bring?" twice a month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, the Pixel is a disappointment. For a similar starting price point as the iPhone 7, at least over here in Europe, it should have brought a little more to the table. At the very least come with some IP rating. Right now the premium price hike is pretty much all the aluminium case, otherwise it's not that wildly different than a 5X. Same goes for the XL and the 6P, which was already aluminium.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its the phone equivalent of a dead lay

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revmoo posted:

Oh yeah I forgot my other favorite "feature" of this PoS phone. It butt-dials loving constantly. Even after I added a pattern lock (which I loving despise) it's still doing it. The other day it ordered an Lyft to a random location across town and I had to pay a $5 cancellation fee.

Seriously don't buy an S6A.

This is a thing that really happened. Yep.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm pretty sure you can disable updates, but I'm also pretty sure step one is going to be "root your phone"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle I'm interested in continuing here if you are.

Things like IP68, etc etc, are items I feel are necessary in a "top-of-the-line" phone these days especially looking at the direct competition like the S7, Note7, iPhone 7. If the Pixel is going to have a $1000+ price tag after tax for the cheapest base model, it absolutely needs features and capability more than what it has.

And to the other guy, I said this camera is "nothing new" because it's basically the same as the S6, new to the Nexus Pixel line maybe but not new in general.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thermopyle I'm interested in continuing here if you are.

Things like IP68, etc etc, are items I feel are necessary in a "top-of-the-line" phone these days especially looking at the direct competition like the S7, Note7, iPhone 7. If the Pixel is going to have a $1000+ price tag after tax for the cheapest base model, it absolutely needs features and capability more than what it has.

And to the other guy, I said this camera is "nothing new" because it's basically the same as the S6, new to the Nexus Pixel line maybe but not new in general.

Does every top of the line phone have to have every other feature of every other top of the line phone, or does it just have to have the features that are important to you?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Does every top of the line phone have to have every other feature of every other top of the line phone, or does it just have to have the features that are important to you?
That's certainly a weird way to go about it. Why pay same price for less features than competing products?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nimper posted:

This is a thing that really happened. Yep.

lol fuckin whatever dude. Here's the loving canceled ride right here on July 25:

Apparently Samsung fanboys are just as bad as iPhone fanboys. I'll see myself out have fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

No, they don't all have to be copycats, I never said that, you don't need to be disingenuous. But, if every other top-of-the-line flagship at the same pricepoint has an in-demand feature, for example IP68, it's a big deal if one of them does not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

Keeping up with the Joneses is important to me. That's a feature I want if I'm paying the same prices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's certainly a weird way to go about it. Why pay same price for less features than competing products?

What if top-of-the-line feature A is better on one device but that device doesn't have top-of-the-line feature B?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

revmoo posted:

lol fuckin whatever dude. Here's the loving canceled ride right here on July 25:

Apparently Samsung fanboys are just as bad as iPhone fanboys. I'll see myself out have fun.

No, I'm not a Samsung fanboy; I just find your story of "butt-dialing a Lyft to a random location" hard to believe.

also "the other day" being July 25 is just :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So since Google pixel looks kind of like a poo poo value proposition, how is the one plus 3?

Have a nexus 5 I'm thinking of replacing soon. Other options?