Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So what are thoughts about the guy claiming to have unmasked Ferrante?

Frankly I think its vaguely misogynistic and pointless as an endeavor and an insult to literature as an art form

As someone somewhere (I think my FB) said, attempts to reveal the identity of someone who said they'll stop writing if their identity revealed seem like nothing other than attempts to get them to stop writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's just fail, let the drat Spiderman do his thing

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I agree that was a pretty terrible thing to do when the author themself said "leave me be", but how is it misogynistic?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I guess there's a lineage of female authorial pseudonyms. The Brontės spring to mind, though they were trying to hide their femininity. I guess you'd have to make the argument anonymity is necessarily regarded as a feminine trait or that this is a power thing over Elena by a male journalist. But I'm not entirely sure about either of those.

e: I think what's especially disappointing is that this guy assumed we desperately wanted to know who she was when in fact people preferred the mystery. So yeah he spoilt it all, for the sake of his career. In that sense it is a power thing.

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 4, 2016

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
now that the book is by long-suspected name x instead of name y i will never be able to enjoy it again

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ulvir posted:

I agree that was a pretty terrible thing to do when the author themself said "leave me be", but how is it misogynistic?

"Nevermind your stated wishes I, a man, wants to know." You might say he'd probably run an expose if a male author happened to be a secretive recluse but how come nobody's busted up the cabal of people working under the "Thomas Pyncheon" pen name? Case closed.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

"Nevermind your stated wishes I, a man, wants to know." You might say he'd probably run an expose if a male author happened to be a secretive recluse but how come nobody's busted up the cabal of people working under the "Thomas Pyncheon" pen name? Case closed.

Huh? Is Thomas Pynchon a pseudonym? I always thought he's a reclusive, not that he hides behind a false identity. I thought there were also a number of journalists who successfully found him and got to meet him.

In the case of Ferrante, I do not approve the episode but, first it's a pseudonym. So you don't even know in principle if it's a woman or a guy.

On the larger issue I think that using a pseudonym obtains the exact opposite effect: you create curiosity toward the identity. It becomes a puzzle to crack and eventually you can expect someone will. I'm not saying that I approve the action, just that you have to expect it. It's like Spiderman and John Jonah Jameson. You empathize with Spiderman, but a JJ Jameson is going to eventually happen.

That said, I'm baffled at the reactions. If it was revealed that Ferrante was in fact Donald Trump then the revelation itself would be meaningful. Because revealing an identity is always meaningful when the person is a public one. But in this case the "Elena Ferrante" is as much as anonymous as the name revealed. No one has heard that name before. For 99% of the population these are equally anonymous names and knowing a "true" one adds or removes exactly nothing. It's just names.

So what I'm saying is that for the readers absolutely nothing changes (unless you're her neighbor). And if you read Ferrante's motivations for going anonymous it seems the majority of it was because this "literary" purpose, so the readers.

It might change instead for her personally, because people who bump into her or actively seek her will bother her about it. But this is kind of the price of notoriety, of being known, taking money from it. It happens at all levels and all professions, and regardless of genre. She can legitimately try to stay anonymous, and someone who exposes her is an idiot, but you eventually have to deal with this. It happens to lots of people, not just to her. She used this for a specific purpose and it worked for long enough to have made it worthwhile.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ulvir posted:

well, I mean, going out of your way to stalk a woman and violate her privacy for personal gain against her express pleading to be left alone isn't a good look, generally

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

No one who cares about books has the finances to bring down the whole organisation

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
bit of a yawner, as far as literary controversy goes. why all the intrigue to begin with? it's not like she's Mark Twain publishing a really incendiary polemic against imperialism

hog fat fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 4, 2016

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Abalieno posted:

Huh? Is Thomas Pynchon a pseudonym? I always thought he's a reclusive, not that he hides behind a false identity. I thought there were also a number of journalists who successfully found him and got to meet him.

In the case of Ferrante, I do not approve the episode but, first it's a pseudonym. So you don't even know in principle if it's a woman or a guy.

On the larger issue I think that using a pseudonym obtains the exact opposite effect: you create curiosity toward the identity. It becomes a puzzle to crack and eventually you can expect someone will. I'm not saying that I approve the action, just that you have to expect it. It's like Spiderman and John Jonah Jameson. You empathize with Spiderman, but a JJ Jameson is going to eventually happen.

That said, I'm baffled at the reactions. If it was revealed that Ferrante was in fact Donald Trump then the revelation itself would be meaningful. Because revealing an identity is always meaningful when the person is a public one. But in this case the "Elena Ferrante" is as much as anonymous as the name revealed. No one has heard that name before. For 99% of the population these are equally anonymous names and knowing a "true" one adds or removes exactly nothing. It's just names.

So what I'm saying is that for the readers absolutely nothing changes (unless you're her neighbor). And if you read Ferrante's motivations for going anonymous it seems the majority of it was because this "literary" purpose, so the readers.

It might change instead for her personally, because people who bump into her or actively seek her will bother her about it. But this is kind of the price of notoriety, of being known, taking money from it. It happens at all levels and all professions, and regardless of genre. She can legitimately try to stay anonymous, and someone who exposes her is an idiot, but you eventually have to deal with this. It happens to lots of people, not just to her. She used this for a specific purpose and it worked for long enough to have made it worthwhile.

Goddamn you're such a dumbass

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's Spider-Man you idiot, you clown.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga is on sale for kindle for $1.99.

Has anyone read it? Is it worth my time?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I still call shinagins on all recommendations for books not originally written in English. There are two exceptions to this: 1. if your recommendation is aimed at people who speak, or at least read, the original language the book was published in; OR 2. the original author of the work did his or her own translation into English.

This is so we can get our academic douchebaggary correct, because as you should know reading a novel in a language other than the one that it was originally written in is not acceptable. I mean, good luck getting your PhD in French literature if you refuse to learn how to speak and read French.

PS. the answer to "why" this is the case is because other languages do not work the same way as English. It is not like you can replace every word with it's "corresponding " (if there is such a thing at all) English word and be able to read the book. Essentially, when a book is translated, the translator has to interpret the "meaning" of what's being said, and then to the best of his or her ability, figure out a way to say the same thing in English--as close to the original text as possible.

So, in a sense, every translation is someone's interpretation of a novel, that imprecisely communicates the translator's version of what the author originally intended. It's like a game of telephone, and you are reading Translator X's version of Voltaire, not Voltaire.

This is pretty standard practice in the academy for any sort of literary analysis (or philosophical analysis). In a pinch, translations are okay for undergrad classes, or for graduate classes where the students are not specializing in a particular field; however, at the graduate level this is always communicated to you as the "best translation currently available," according of course to the professor (we've just added another layer of "interpretation")

It's also important to note that works of genre fiction, even terrible genre fiction, are "legitimate works of art." They are even be taught and critically analyzed at universities.

And yes, all of my posts on this form are about fantasy novels. I will out myself now and say I've got my PhD (Political Theory) and have written many things that involve critical analysis of literature; however, when I go home at night I read and talk about what I actually enjoy reading--fantasy and science fiction. Some of which is pulpy and terrible, and some of which is extremely loving smart and important--just like any "category" of literature. This includes the bullshit everyone is talking about here, which is only bullshit in as much as its making some people have a hardon over the fact they read "real" literature.

News flash: in the end you're bragging about how your consumer choices make you "superior" to those "retards" who make other consumer choices. Both sides lose on that regard.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's "shenanigans"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A gull. Gulls. Far calls. Coming far! End here. Us then. Shinagin.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Setting down The Dancing Gods this is extremely loving smart and important.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Source?

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

your point about shortcomings is fairly self-evident, your conclusion is predictably dumb and the rest I didn't read

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I mean, there's that picture of Pynchon picking his son up from school, so people dug into a male recluse too.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

You don't "write" like someone who "reads" "books."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah I didn't read that past the first sentence and am probably not going to

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I read it all, and found it incredibly thought-provoking.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think my favourite part is the post script that occurs in paragraph 3 of 8.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

he has made two posts in this thread and the previous one was a 70% less wordy version of the exact same post, including postscript, two and a half years ago

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fantasy novels are poo poo am i rite lol

(they really are)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
hopefully "translations are inherently imperfect, i read genre fiction to decompress, p.s. lit is just a marketing term" is the unimpeachable argument that will finally bring down the rotten edifice of this thread.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nothing at all matters not even literature so read all of wheel of time like me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

I mean, there's that picture of Pynchon picking his son up from school, so people dug into a male recluse too.

He took a picture of his mouth November of last year.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sexy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the Thomas Pynchon multiple-author pseudonym theory is that it's pretty much the plot of V., with Pynchon as V..

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZombieLenin posted:

I still call shinagins on all recommendations for books not originally written in English. There are two exceptions to this: 1. if your recommendation is aimed at people who speak, or at least read, the original language the book was published in; OR 2. the original author of the work did his or her own translation into English.

This is so we can get our academic douchebaggary correct, because as you should know reading a novel in a language other than the one that it was originally written in is not acceptable. I mean, good luck getting your PhD in French literature if you refuse to learn how to speak and read French.

PS. the answer to "why" this is the case is because other languages do not work the same way as English. It is not like you can replace every word with it's "corresponding " (if there is such a thing at all) English word and be able to read the book. Essentially, when a book is translated, the translator has to interpret the "meaning" of what's being said, and then to the best of his or her ability, figure out a way to say the same thing in English--as close to the original text as possible.

So, in a sense, every translation is someone's interpretation of a novel, that imprecisely communicates the translator's version of what the author originally intended. It's like a game of telephone, and you are reading Translator X's version of Voltaire, not Voltaire.

This is pretty standard practice in the academy for any sort of literary analysis (or philosophical analysis). In a pinch, translations are okay for undergrad classes, or for graduate classes where the students are not specializing in a particular field; however, at the graduate level this is always communicated to you as the "best translation currently available," according of course to the professor (we've just added another layer of "interpretation")

It's also important to note that works of genre fiction, even terrible genre fiction, are "legitimate works of art." They are even be taught and critically analyzed at universities.

And yes, all of my posts on this form are about fantasy novels. I will out myself now and say I've got my PhD (Political Theory) and have written many things that involve critical analysis of literature; however, when I go home at night I read and talk about what I actually enjoy reading--fantasy and science fiction. Some of which is pulpy and terrible, and some of which is extremely loving smart and important--just like any "category" of literature. This includes the bullshit everyone is talking about here, which is only bullshit in as much as its making some people have a hardon over the fact they read "real" literature.

News flash: in the end you're bragging about how your consumer choices make you "superior" to those "retards" who make other consumer choices. Both sides lose on that regard.

Greetings, you're speaking to me I suppose

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Goddamn you're such a dumbass.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

It's like a game of telephone, and you are reading Translator X's version of Voltaire, not Voltaire.

Holy poo poo life is just too short to really let this bother you to the extent that you disavow translated books

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Someone else pointed this out, but I think it got lost—he just copied and paraphrased his only other post in this thread from two years ago, it's really not worth all the attention we've given it.

ZombieLenin posted:

To read literature correctly, you cannot rely on translations. Therefore, I call shenanigans on all recommendations in this thread for literature not originally written in the English language. Unless, of course, you are recommending things written in non-English languages to people who already speak (or can at least read) them.

If we are going to do pretentious academic douchebaggary we have to do it right.

Edit

P.S. "Genre" fiction is literature and indistinguishable from the category "real loving works of art." This is the case no matter how many self-deprecating quotes from authors you dig up.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
v. significant change in his spelling of 'shenanigans' between the first and second editions of that post

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLx1QmPHb4

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
DAE think books are poopoo

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

also just lol if you read anything that isnt public domain / free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

shinagins

douchebaggary

They are even be taught