Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I know you're only partially serious, but I'm on a 6s right now and regret my purchase because I hate literally everything about it except for processor speed/OS responsiveness. Also App Store payments are region-locked and that is bad for me. I have high standards. :(

I'm completely serious. The iPhone 7 is the best phone at that size bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Since Canadian tire to USD exchange is so bad do Canadians actually get paid more now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Since Canadian tire to USD exchange is so bad do Canadians actually get paid more now?

No, not really. Depends on location/industry. My salary definitely 100% did not go up when our dollar tanked last year (this year?) or any other time.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mister Macys posted:

( :tipshat: ) Joking aside though:

Two years of OS updates.

We control the hardware (like Apple)
We charge a premium price (like Apple)
OS Update Support length? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WhyteRyce posted:

6p users are complaining about terrible battery life after the Nougat update. I've got that system update notification sitting there tempting me but I'm not touching it until people say something got magically fixed (:lol: google will never fix it)

I have a 6p and haven't had a problem. I mostly don't believe anyone complaining about anything nowadays. Or at least I don't believe anyone saying something is a widespread issue. Or at least it take a while fuckin lot of convincing.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Whats the benefit of Google Assistant over what we currently have on Android today?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ragingsheep posted:

Whats the benefit of Google Assistant over what we currently have on Android today?

It costs $649

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

It costs $649

Well it costs $1079 here.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Will 5x prices get pushed any lower by the Pixel release in the next few weeks? Lowest I'm seeing is $200 with Fi (I already have T-mobile and live in NYC so Fi should be fine). My 3+yo MotoX barely functions and don't know if I can survive more than another week or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're not going to drop any lower than $200. That's already giving them away.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

It's essentially a rebranding/expansion of Google Now. It'll allow third-party integration, etc.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I have a 6p and haven't had a problem. I mostly don't believe anyone complaining about anything nowadays. Or at least I don't believe anyone saying something is a widespread issue. Or at least it take a while fuckin lot of convincing.

I had some battery problems on the N beta on my Nexus 6 like what are being described, but a reboot cleared them up and I haven't noticed a real issue in quite some time (though my battery life on this phone in general is not exactly something to sing about).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

How does the Fi deal work? I buy it for $249, activate Fi for $30/mo or whatever and then cancel?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mr. Powers posted:

How does the Fi deal work? I buy it for $249, activate Fi for $30/mo or whatever and then cancel?

Yes, you can also finance for 0% interest and make monthly payments even after you've cancelled the Fi Service.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ragingsheep posted:

The UI seems a lot better. With the results coming in a chat-like stream your results are always there.

Makes it seem more like you're actually having a conversation.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

uPen posted:

Yes, you can also finance for 0% interest and make monthly payments even after you've cancelled the Fi Service.

Incorrect, it explicitly says if you end Fi service the total remaining will be charged with your last Fi bill.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, I just paid the $249 anyway. I'm okay with that price. When I get the phone, I just activate Fi on it, and then immediately cancel or do I need to wait X days before canceling?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

Well, I just paid the $249 anyway. I'm okay with that price. When I get the phone, I just activate Fi on it, and then immediately cancel or do I need to wait X days before canceling?

You don't even need to activate Fi. Just contact them and tell them to gently caress off.

Then put your own SIM in.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The Android Thread - "Hello, Google? Please gently caress off!"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

You don't even need to activate Fi. Just contact them and tell them to gently caress off.

Then put your own SIM in.

It says it will be $399 if not activated on Fi in X amount of time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Didn't notice this when I ordered it but the Pixel comes with a promo code for a daydream view. Also just noticed that Google Keyboard capitalizes Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Biggest travesty is they apparently aren't making blue in 128gb.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Biggest travesty is they apparently aren't making blue in 128gb.

That's odd, you'd think the people who would buy the limited color would want the phone with all of the options.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
As a Verizon customer, the last Google phone I owned was a Galaxy Nexus. Verizon hosed the Nexus nature of that phone by being many months behind Google with the OTA updates. Is there any sign that this won't be the case with the Pixel?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

It says it will be $399 if not activated on Fi in X amount of time.

Hmm, well maybe they changed it since I did it?

Pretend I didn't say anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Splinter posted:

As a Verizon customer, the last Google phone I owned was a Galaxy Nexus. Verizon hosed the Nexus nature of that phone by being many months behind Google with the OTA updates. Is there any sign that this won't be the case with the Pixel?

Nope! No guarantees that the software situation will be any different. Although the Nexus 6 was on verizon and it didn't have the problems that the Gnex did, so maybe they're better now?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, well maybe they changed it since I did it?

Pretend I didn't say anything.

I can only find "with activation" and no details about that, so I'll probably call when it comes in anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

Nope! No guarantees that the software situation will be any different. Although the Nexus 6 was on verizon and it didn't have the problems that the Gnex did, so maybe they're better now?

Verizon and GSM Galaxy Nexus had different hardware

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Wacky Delly posted:

Nexus 6 on VZW came out ~3-4 months late, but other than that like minimal (uninstallable) bloatware and I get security updates and OTAs day and date with the Normal Nexus 6 owners.

It's the same phone. Unlocked bootloader too.

Not sure why 5X and 6P didn't make it to VZW.

All signs point to the Pixel on VZW having a locked bootloader versus the Google one having an unlocked one. :(

Although not sure how root even works or would work with the dual OS setup.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 4, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Didn't notice this when I ordered it but the Pixel comes with a promo code for a daydream view. Also just noticed that Google Keyboard capitalizes Pixel.

Oh what? How much does it discount it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Pixels have electronic image stabilization ("tied to the gyroscope"), not optical.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/pixel-pixel-xls-cameras-will-not-optical-image-stabilization-ois/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

w00tazn posted:

Not sure why 5X and 6P didn't make it to VZW.

They didn't make it to any carrier.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh what? How much does it discount it?

it's free with preorder while supplies last.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The 5x was discounted on Google's store with in a couple months. I expect the Pixel to do the same.

Although I did just get a raise at work that covers the cost of the phone...maybe I deserve it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Weren't there rumors about Google offering some sort of financing for the Pixel?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

w00tazn posted:

it's free with preorder while supplies last.

That is some grade A bullshit. You pay $700 expecting a bonus your better get it. Best part is you have to wait until November to find out it's out of stock.

Google is just a crazy pile of individual failures of everything propped up on ad money. It's insane.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Weren't there rumors about Google offering some sort of financing for the Pixel?

Yeah it's 0% for two years. I actually applied for it figuring 27 a month was fine, but the application kept failing. Probably divine intervention because financing consumer electronics is a bad idea.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Play Store now has 0% financing in the US for all purchases above $150, apparently. Nothing showing up in the UK so probably US-only.

Edit: Google Store whatever hah.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 5, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tunga posted:

Play Store now has 0% financing in the US for all purchases above $150, apparently. Nothing showing up in the UK so probably US-only.

I can finally buy the I Am Rich app for android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

A lot of those device financing things seem to be US only.

Mister Macys posted:

Pixels have electronic image stabilization ("tied to the gyroscope"), not optical.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/pixel-pixel-xls-cameras-will-not-optical-image-stabilization-ois/

Great, just great Google.