Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Does anyone else have an issue where, when using the 3.5mm to Lightning adapter, and starting a phone call with it plugged in you receive audio out of your headphones, but the microphone doesn't work?

If I unplug the adapter then plug it back in it begins working against, but I'm wondering if it's something others are experiencing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not a fan of the color matched metal buttons on the leather cases. Saddle brown is like a gross copper color. Silver metal would be a bit more classic.

Also the silicone colors are dead boring except the red. Stone, brown, black, navy, and some pastels.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
This may be a dumb question but I've never owned Bluetooth earphones before. The Bluetooth earphones that have the volume and skip track controls, can they skip tracks in Spotify and Pandora? Or only within the native music.app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty much any app that uses the iOS music controller API which I think is all of them.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

smackfu posted:

Not a fan of the color matched metal buttons on the leather cases. Saddle brown is like a gross copper color. Silver metal would be a bit more classic.

Also the silicone colors are dead boring except the red. Stone, brown, black, navy, and some pastels.

Agreed, not liking the copper at all.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Saddle Brown is for pussies. Get black.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Saddle Brown is for pussies. Get black.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Counter point: black is for boring edge lord wannabes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Counter point: black is for boring edge lord wannabes.

Came to post this

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Storm gray. Nuff said.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Storm gray. Nuff said.

This dude right here...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

is a GOT drat idiot

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I recently jumped ship from iOS to Android and I'm looking for a good way to export/view all of my SMS messages on my iPhone 6 before I restore it to sell.

Does anyone know of any good tools for extracting SMS messages from backups and viewing them? Ideally something free or not too expensive. It looks like iExplorer would do the trick but I don't want to pay $60 just to view SMS backups.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Worrying about text message archives is EXACTLY what an Android owner would do.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bobfather posted:

loving groan... hearing this type of poo poo from iOS users every day of my life since my first iPhone is exactly a leading contributor to why I jumped ship.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MMD3 posted:

loving groan... hearing this type of poo poo from iOS users every day of my life since my first iPhone is exactly a leading contributor to why I jumped ship.

No one cares, weirdo.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bobfather posted:

You just never know when you'll need to scroll back through your full SMS history since 2007 for something that's super important, or just for a trip down memory lane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Supposedly this will work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compelson.migrator

You'll need the Windows app to actually extract from the iPhone since iOS does not allow anything to view your messages. It looks to be $25.

It probably won't send all your messages to China. Probably.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 5, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rock My Socks! posted:

99% sure it's just cropping the image- it doesn't seem to actually focus any closer.

I think you're wrong, I believe it focuses closer. Then it also crops.

Try going up to a mirror, turning the phone around, and taking a photo of your eye on magnify. Then try doing it with the normal camera; won't work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well here is a weird one.

My 7+ buttons currently don't work. Pressing the home button gives the haptic feedback like it's being pressed but the app doesn't close. Pressing the lock button doesn't put the lock the screen and the vol up/down buttons don't do anything.

If I plug the phone into power it gets power so yeah. I tried holding the lock button to do a power down and it didn't work. I tried holding the lock and home buttons and that also did nothing.

I guess I just have to let it die?

-sent from my iPhone 7+ with the awful app stuck open.

Fake edit: oh holy poo poo it just did like 15 locks and unlocks in a row. Problem solved I guess....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I think you're wrong, I believe it focuses closer. Then it also crops.

Try going up to a mirror, turning the phone around, and taking a photo of your eye on magnify. Then try doing it with the normal camera; won't work.
This is all a silly way to get a macro function when there's plenty of third-party camera apps that add this along with many other features/

E: Taken with Camera+

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, if you do an unencrypted backup with iTunes, your SMS history is really stored in an SQLite database that can be read with free tools. I don't know how that's changed since iMessage...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pretty much any app that uses the iOS music controller API which I think is all of them.

Just seconding this; basically if you can control it from the lockscreen you should be able to control it over Bluetooth.

As a similar example, I'm always controlling the Google Play music app with my stock car stereo (over BT and USB at different times).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 5, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MMD3 posted:

This is a grown man who changed his phone because of peer pressure.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is a grown man who changed his phone because of peer pressure.

No, I changed my phone because I was tired of constantly running up against Apple's baby gates. If I were listening to peer pressure I would still be using an iPhone like 95% of my peers in this city.

Having such a difficult time finding a tool to extract/view my sms log from an itunes backup is a prime example of the types of things I got sick of running up against. On Android it's just a builtin feature of Google Hangouts or a simple $2.99 app if you don't use Gmail. As a third option you can just grab the database file with a myriad of free file explorer apps.

Happy to peace out of this thread, I was just asking for a recommendation and the first reply I got was some haughty console war poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MMD3 posted:

No, I changed my phone because I was tired of constantly running up against Apple's baby gates. If I were listening to peer pressure I would still be using an iPhone like 95% of my peers in this city.

Having such a difficult time finding a tool to extract/view my sms log from an itunes backup is a prime example of the types of things I got sick of running up against. On Android it's just a builtin feature of Google Hangouts or a simple $2.99 app if you don't use Gmail. As a third option you can just grab the database file with a myriad of free file explorer apps.

Happy to peace out of this thread, I was just asking for a recommendation and the first reply I got was some haughty console war poo poo.

https://www.wired.com/2013/11/backup-sms-iphone/
:)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

MMD3 posted:

Why do the weirdest lamest dudes always need to read old text messages?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

quote:

This is one of the many circumstances where the openness of the Android ecosystem results in increased functionality on the device. Because Android allows a wide selection of non-system apps to send and receive SMS messages, there are a variety of easy archival apps that run on your phone itself.

No horse in this race, but read what you post?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Khablam posted:

No horse in this race, but read what you post?

:confused:

quote:

Many different programs can not only decipher the SQLite file Apple uses to store SMS messages, but can also simplify finding and archiving them. PhoneView is commonly recommended for Mac and CopyTrans seems to be the application of choice among Windows users. There’s a variety of similar utilities. Most of them cost between $15 and $30, and there doesn’t seem to be a free, open source option that’s “good enough” to have popular appeal.

I personally favor iExplorer, which we’ve covered in the past. It costs money, but the demo version will allow you to read through the .mddata file and copy/paste the text. If you want to export the messages into a PDF or text file, you’ll have to pay.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ok so his post is saying he prefers a system that lets him do it for free, or at most $3 for a high level of convenience.

You then link an article saying there are some clunky 3rd party solutions that require a PC and ~$20 .... why?
He never said it was impossible.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khablam posted:

Ok so his post is saying he prefers a system that lets him do it for free, or at most $3 for a high level of convenience.

You then link an article saying there are some clunky 3rd party solutions that require a PC and ~$20 .... why?
He never said it was impossible.

He posted here looking for a method of extracting his text messages, which that article provides.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm now remembering why I unsubscribed from this thread in the first place.

Fixing that again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

He posted here looking for a method of extracting his text messages, which that article provides.

He asked for a solution that wasn't iExplorer, due to the cost.
The article recommends iExplorer.

So yeah that's real useful feedback I guess.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

The feedback he needs is a qualified therapist to address his vast issues and to not read old messages.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MMD3 posted:

I recently jumped ship from iOS to Android and I'm looking for a good way to export/view all of my SMS messages on my iPhone 6 before I restore it to sell.

Does anyone know of any good tools for extracting SMS messages from backups and viewing them? Ideally something free or not too expensive. It looks like iExplorer would do the trick but I don't want to pay $60 just to view SMS backups.

If there is an application whose features you want but otherwise take issue with, alternativeto.net is a good resource. http://alternativeto.net/software/iphone-explorer/ shows a few alternatives. The last time I did anything with this type of app was iFunBox with a 3gs, so I don't really have anything more for you than that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khablam posted:

He asked for a solution that wasn't iExplorer, due to the cost.
The article recommends iExplorer.

So yeah that's real useful feedback I guess.

It also recommends CopyTrans, which will get the job done at half the cost of iExplorer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The feedback he needs is a qualified therapist to address his vast issues and to not read old messages.

I hope you never lose a loved one, have a divorce, have legal proceedings against you or otherwise need to look up an SMS from the past.

Arguing someone doesn't need a feature based on your own myopic viewpoint is the epitome of console-war bullshit. jfc just stop.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

MMD3 posted:

allyourtexts maybe?

e idk if that can pull from backups actually but if you have the phone still it should work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I hope you never lose a loved one, have a divorce, have legal proceedings against you or otherwise need to look up an SMS from the past.

Grandma always had the best emoji's, bless her soul.

But yeah, the fact you need to pay for 3rd party software to backup your SMS messages is kind of poo poo and something you'd expect from a mid-2000's feature phone and not an established ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Backing up SMS is useless and for chinos anyway.