Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love this stupid dumb comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is a question of ends justifying means where there doesn't currently appear to be any conceivable end in sight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really want to see what happens next when she turns the convention up to 11.

Whats going to happen to gas person, or gill girl. Will the furries be even furrier? Become cerberuseses? Something stupider?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She's not going to just empower a bunch of randos though, is she? Isn't it a fact of this setting that the outbreak of superpowers made the world worse rather than better? Allison lost her teen years to fighting randos whose first instinct to sprouting powers was to go on a rampage. Earlier in the chapter, we saw a bunch of people who have had their lives ruined or at least heavily shook up to the point of not being able to fit in with normal society by their spontaneous mutations. Giving more people powers would make things worse, rather than better.

In the contexts of this comic, superpowers have left us with a bunch more organ donations, and then a death toll of a bunch of rapists, some cops, Furnace, some legal immigrants, that one guy in the first chapter, and an entire crowd of protestors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Easy and obvious low-hanging fruit:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, I'm looking forward to seeing all the comments trying to justify this one.

My favorite comments are the ones that, for the past three pages have been like "If the genders were reversed I'd be on Max's side! But they're not so I hope she kills him!"

idonotlikepeas posted:

"So why was she beating you, anyway?"
"We had an argument during a date, then she stormed back in and started hitting me!" Oh the irony that one would have :shrug:.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cat Mattress posted:

:vince:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It pretty much has to be intentional, right? She bent him over a table and called him sweetheart for christ's sakes. They couldn't possibly have these parallels with last chapter's subject matter happen on accident. Right?

I have to disagree with the people saying it's a big deal that we don't know Max's power. We know he can easily and directly help other people but just doesn't want to. That seems like enough. All that matters is we can accept that Alison would totally do this but also that it's a bad idea, and that is where I was going in.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

God drat how long has it been?

Also I appreciate keeping the signature on the last panel.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is an absolutely horrible idea for a variety of reasons, but it's conceivable that she could at least imagine that she might get away with it.
I don't even think she's worried about how she's going to get away with anything right now. She's purely focused on getting her mission done and clearly the cost doesn't matter to her.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Elysiume posted:

What the hell does "make other kids more powerful" even mean when superpowers are so varied?

Prediction: It means grant greater understanding and fine control of powers, resulting in the ability to turn powers on or off as preferred.

She's going to "power up" cleaver, which lets him control the cancer blades killing him, effectively curing him.

This will also have the potential to cure people in Brad's group, a fact that will not be explored as well as whedon did in X-Men.

Comedy answer: power up Patrick so he feels empathy with everyone on earth at once. He becomes an absolute humanitarian cause he loves everyone so much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Post poste posted:

Allison is only on team good guy because pintsized asked her first. She is usually stopped by other people from being a murder slaughter, and actively entertains murdering groups of people casually.

She's not a good guy. She a sociopath with super powers, and the author doesn't realize that.

Ehhh that's not really what sociopath means, and people are way too eager to jump on that as an explanation for bad judgement.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
See? And some of you thought she was gonna convince him with an argument or something. Since this chapter lead with axiom of the tyrant thing, this was pretty much telegraphed since then.

Though I imagine something will happen that will shake her out of this. Maybe she hurts or even kills him by accident or maybe his parents walk in or whatever. Maybe she'll have to be talked down by Brad or something who knows.

Should be interesting though.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

See? And some of you thought she was gonna convince him with an argument or something. Since this chapter lead with axiom of the tyrant thing, this was pretty much telegraphed since then.

Though I imagine something will happen that will shake her out of this. Maybe she hurts or even kills him by accident or maybe his parents walk in or whatever. Maybe she'll have to be talked down by Brad or something who knows.

Should be interesting though.

I will wholly admit, it's definitely egg on my face. I'm not too salty over it, though. This is exactly the kind of poo poo that drew me into this comic. I want to see more of the deconstructed superhero mythos, and I want characters to act like contradictory fallible humans. And yeah, I would absolutely be down for Brad being the voice of reason since Max is also a biodynamic, and Brad is all about doing the humanitarian thing over the utilitarian thing. I can't imagine he'd be happy knowing that the biodynamics in his convention are only benefiting from the exploitation of another biodynamic. Although, I also get the feeling that Alison's field trip is going to culminate with "See Max, some have worse powers than you" and him crying and vowing to be selfless forever.
Still though, here's hoping that the author can stop pulling the punches on the main character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not over yet and I would not be shocked if Max ends up being all bashfully but genuinely converted to Allison's viewpoint :shrug:

"Gosh Allison I never thought about it like that, you've turned my whole world upside down!"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Wittgen posted:

It pretty much has to be intentional, right? She bent him over a table and called him sweetheart for christ's sakes. They couldn't possibly have these parallels with last chapter's subject matter happen on accident. Right?

The artist is appalled that people are making the comparison on twitter, so, it's accidental.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The artist is appalled that people are making the comparison on twitter, so, it's accidental.

someone needs to tweet the SPF+DD edit to them. maybe add the the part where she calls him sweetheart in a text box.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Max uses his power while alison is flying him around, she rockets both of them into space. Comic over.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Oof, you weren't kidding. "I see no comparisons, she is merely using superior physical strength to coerce him into something he doesn't want to do and will not enjoy for hours on end, to access something she wants that has to do entirely with the inherent nature of his body while making sure he knows it's entirely a dominance play, also what comic every used an allegory?" :rolleyes:

e: Like they could have spun it if they hadn't JUST done a huge chunk of story on the very subject.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 5, 2016

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Do you have a link to this. It's not like I think you're lying but, like, it's so obvious that's what the comic was going for I'm having trouble believing it's not deliberately paralleling Allison and a rapist.

I don't even want to think the creators are that tone deaf.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 5, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

Do you have a link to this. It's not like I think you're lying but, like, it's so obvious that's what the comic was going for I'm having trouble believing it's not deliberately paralleling Allison and a rapist.

I don't even want to think the creators are that tone deaf.

https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/783356060874727424?s=09

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Well since they weren't going for a rape parallel, it's a good thing the creative team didn't have their superpowered main character forcefully bend a guy over a table, tell him to stop trying to get free or he'd just hurt himself and then threaten his life, call him sweetheart and tell him he had to do what she wanted and it'll all be over soon (4 hours tops!).

Wait, they did?

Well, poo poo.

Edit: 100% for real though, if the genders in this were switched and it was Superman doing this to a woman then people would not be having a hard time grasping how rapey this whole page is.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Obligatory Yikes.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

She actually discussed her plan with Patrick before she went through with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyvz_g5bnFc&t=37s

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone involved with the creation and consumption of this comic is an imbecile, including and especially me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

akulanization posted:

someone needs to tweet the SPF+DD edit to them. maybe add the the part where she calls him sweetheart in a text box.

Whoever does this is guaranteed to be insta-blocked, but it must be done.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Everyone involved with the creation and consumption of this comic is an imbecile, including and especially me.

:same:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

"HELP! HEEEELP!" screams Max as he's pushed into the table.
"Well, sweetheart, I was only asking as a courtesy," growls Alison in his ear.

well, you see, it's not a rape allegory, because

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's as much a rape as something can be without sex bits getting involved.

This may be what finally breaks the comic.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 5, 2016

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I'd like to see a take on Shakespeare's Seven Ages of Man but for Webcomics with "Inevitable Rape Controversy" around stage five.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jesus christ.

It's a shame the character limit on Twitter makes it almost impossible to provide a nuanced rebuttal to this worthless drivel. These people are loving comically ill equipped to comment on the issues their comic presupposes to understand.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 5, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The comic had the same blind spot with Patrick kidnapping a bunch of people and drugging them, rummaging around in their brains without consent. At least a few more people noticed this time.
e: Actually it had the same blind spot with Mary's chapter too, if you don't like/don't care about the victims and the protagonist (or shadow protagonist, for Mary) is the perpetrator, then these things aren't actually bad.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 5, 2016

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

The comic had the same blind spot with Patrick kidnapping a bunch of people and drugging them, rummaging around in their brains without consent. At least a few more people noticed this time.

I always thought that was a part of their contract and that they knew about it as they all went to the same hotel or whatever. With what this comic has turned into, I don't even know or care if I'm wrong any more :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, it's made pretty clear that this is being done without their knowledge :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Strong Female Protagonist: Everyone involved with this is an imbecile, including and especially me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I second this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I'd like to see a take on Shakespeare's Seven Ages of Man but for Webcomics with "Inevitable Rape Controversy" around stage five.

All the web's a page,
And all the men and women merely readers;
They have their filler and their fetishes,
And artists in their time play many parts,
Their acts being seven pages. At first the newbie,
Mewling and joking about console games.
Then, the whining artist with Patreon
And seething Tumblr grudge, drawing like snail,
Unwilling to update. And then the pervert,
Sighing and pumping, who with one hand only
Draws their mistress lacking arms. Then, a zealot,
Full of opinions, and armed with the barb,
Jealous partisan, sullen, and quick on Twitter
Seeking a bubble echo chamber
Even with a rape chapter. And then, the old hand,
with fair round belly, or a famed expo named,
Their face pig-like, or head so very bald,
Full of trite gags, and modern pretences,
And so they play vidya. The sixth page shifts
Into the mean and miserable loon,
With fur Columbine or kokoro wish,
Their youthful edge preserved, words too many
For the shrink’s hour, and their big drawing hand,
Twisting again toward childish scribble, gripes
And meltdowns on their mind. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange shameful history,
Is newfound child-hate forcing an abortion
Sans words, sans art, sans taste, all ends in loss.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 6, 2016

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Someone needs to Photoshop swap Max and Allison's heads, show it to non-comic readers, and ask 'is this scene rapey?'
Show the poll results to the comic artist/writer.
They will instantly ban anyone that refers to it.

And ironically Nirvana's 'Rape Me' just came on my iTunes list.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All the web's a page,
draws their mistress lacking arms. Then, a zealot,
Full of opinions, and covered in barbs,

:swoon: Bless you.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

All the web's a page,
draws their mistress lacking arms. Then, a zealot,
Full of opinions, and covered in barbs,

Immaculate. :golfclap:

• Locked thread