Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

a kitten posted:

No clue on the source.

Source is Ghost Rider #59

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The character synopsis for Iron Fist back in the day was odd enough given that it's speaking in the second person but the weirdest part is definitely the first line mentioning his dad's balls.

Source is any old school Iron Man comic but specifically this is from his Marvel Premiere days.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think a mommy is involved somehow too, Stan

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Maybe it's a thing like Zeus birthing Athena only out of the crotch, xenomorph-style.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ow my balls!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Lobok posted:

The character synopsis for Iron Fist back in the day was odd enough given that it's speaking in the second person but the weirdest part is definitely the first line mentioning his dad's balls.

Source is any old school Iron Man comic but specifically this is from his Marvel Premiere days.

Bet you'll find 'em in Iron Fist comics, too.

Source was GIS, so I dunno the book/issue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's A+X #5.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

Somewhere out there some kid named Daniel Rand bought this comic at random and got totally freaked the gently caress out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Finally getting around to Morrison's Doom Patrol and this made me chuckle:

Doom Patrol (v2) 23.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't suppose anyone happens to have the pages from the old What The--?! Marvel parody comic from the early '90s, where Reed Richards invents a Skrull detector and uses it, only to discover he's the only one in the room who isn't a Skrull? Failing that, does anyone remember what issue that was?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Saoshyant posted:

It's the all the stuff in the first panel that makes it for me.

Man, this brings me back. I remember the villain (who wasn't Bowser, because that'd just be too cool) trying to take over the world somehow with his really tiny video game minions.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lobok posted:

I wish more books told me that I was the title character.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Goddamn I love the Flintstones.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rough Lobster posted:

Man, this brings me back. I remember the villain (who wasn't Bowser, because that'd just be too cool) trying to take over the world somehow with his really tiny video game minions.

That's cause it's Tatanga, the villain from Super Mario Land on the game boy, which this is a tie in for. When I was a kid, I got in a bad car accident once, and my grandparents got me these books, and the Valiant one for the cartoon series to read during my hospital stay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

The Adam and Steve parts are loving hilarious and on point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

I wish more books told me that I was the title character.
Have you read Spider-Girl?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I don't suppose anyone happens to have the pages from the old What The--?! Marvel parody comic from the early '90s, where Reed Richards invents a Skrull detector and uses it, only to discover he's the only one in the room who isn't a Skrull? Failing that, does anyone remember what issue that was?

What The--?! #21

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
And then Marvel made that an actual plot.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

joehonkie posted:

This is true of a fairly large percentage of Marvel What Ifs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joehonkie posted:

What If... What Ifs Weren't Ifs?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

What If... What Ifs Weren't Ifs?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fuego Fish posted:

I really, really like the unexpected swerve where they torpedo the metaphor and actually talk directly, unambiguously about homophobia. Involving cave men named Adam and Steve.

This is a good loving comic.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

FAT BATMAN posted:

Yo, Mummy man is legit as hell.

It's kind of like the Ultimate Hustler was mummified and got pinched for jaywalking.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Actually they're waiting at county general to patch him up. The cop is like the one good cop on Monster Beat, and apparently last time the docs screwed up the bandages, so he's sticking around to make sure it's done right.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Choco1980 posted:

Actually they're waiting at county general to patch him up. The cop is like the one good cop on Monster Beat, and apparently last time the docs screwed up the bandages, so he's sticking around to make sure it's done right.

so is it like a cop comic version of Ugly Americans? because I could dig that

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Goddamn I love the Flintstones.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

quite stretched out posted:

so is it like a cop comic version of Ugly Americans? because I could dig that

Well the main central character has been Prudence (where "Code Pru" comes from) the EMT with the rear end, also working monster beat, and it's less of a comedy, but otherwise, yeah pretty much. I loved Ugly Americans, by the way.

Cinema Purgatorio is an anthology book spearheaded by Alan Moore that I've liked 100%. Moore's effort (teamed with his LoEG buddy Kevin O'Neil) has a faceless narrator having dreams (?) of going to this old theater that shows dark, twisted versions of genre theater, often removing the artifice of hollywood. Code Pru is actually a Garth Ennis joint but doesn't feel as misanthropic as he normally does. Kieran Gillan does Modded, about a sort of mix between Mad Max setting, and a Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei type world where things are not so bright and cheery, and a fairy like girl has to have her mentor show her the ropes of how violent the daemon-fighting is in an attempt to rescue her first creature, which was kidnapped by an awful trainer. There's also The Vast by Cristos Gage, which is a very Pacific Rim esque story of Kaiju running amok that also have the ability to mutate the world around them. And finally, Max Brooks brings us A More Perfect Union, a what if where the American Civil War is fought instead of brother vs brother, man vs monster. It's decent if for no other reason than he loads it with historical accuracies, and usually has a text history lesson afterwards detailing the real story for the characters places and technologies he uses.

Every story in the book is a winner to my personal preferences, and I'd read a whole book of Code Pru

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Choco1980 posted:

That's cause it's Tatanga, the villain from Super Mario Land on the game boy, which this is a tie in for. When I was a kid, I got in a bad car accident once, and my grandparents got me these books, and the Valiant one for the cartoon series to read during my hospital stay.

I really wish they'd bring Tatanga back in the games some how.

And Wart. I mean, most of Mario 2 made it into future games, but not Wart.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

From Cage! #1

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Choco1980 posted:

Well the main central character has been Prudence (where "Code Pru" comes from) the EMT with the rear end, also working monster beat, and it's less of a comedy, but otherwise, yeah pretty much. I loved Ugly Americans, by the way.

Cinema Purgatorio is an anthology book spearheaded by Alan Moore that I've liked 100%. Moore's effort (teamed with his LoEG buddy Kevin O'Neil) has a faceless narrator having dreams (?) of going to this old theater that shows dark, twisted versions of genre theater, often removing the artifice of hollywood. Code Pru is actually a Garth Ennis joint but doesn't feel as misanthropic as he normally does. Kieran Gillan does Modded, about a sort of mix between Mad Max setting, and a Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei type world where things are not so bright and cheery, and a fairy like girl has to have her mentor show her the ropes of how violent the daemon-fighting is in an attempt to rescue her first creature, which was kidnapped by an awful trainer. There's also The Vast by Cristos Gage, which is a very Pacific Rim esque story of Kaiju running amok that also have the ability to mutate the world around them. And finally, Max Brooks brings us A More Perfect Union, a what if where the American Civil War is fought instead of brother vs brother, man vs monster. It's decent if for no other reason than he loads it with historical accuracies, and usually has a text history lesson afterwards detailing the real story for the characters places and technologies he uses.

Every story in the book is a winner to my personal preferences, and I'd read a whole book of Code Pru

cool, thanks for the detailed answer! i'm definitely going to think about picking it up then, those sound really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gotta be honest.

Every "marriage" comic people have posted is loving dumb. It isn't satire it's just dumb. "Hey, what people got upset... about heterosexual marriage?!" is weird and meaningless and incoherent even as a joke. Like why are they calling them perverts? It only works as a cheap copy-paste of gay marriage arguments but they don't follow logically over from "marriage is not a thing." Maybe I'm missing something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, you're about right.

Everyone is impressed because it's a Flintstones book with decent art and novel writing. It's like watching your fish jump out of the tank and start singing Katy Perry. Sure it's not "Carmen," but you're watching a fish sing out of water you're already so far beyond expectations you can't help but be ecstatic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

No, you're about right.

Everyone is impressed because it's a Flintstones book with decent art and novel writing. It's like watching your fish jump out of the tank and start singing Katy Perry. Sure it's not "Carmen," but you're watching a fish sing out of water you're already so far beyond expectations you can't help but be ecstatic.

That's fair. I don't mean to poo poo on a thing people are enjoying, sorry.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

From Cage! #1

About time someone did something with that ad. Why should Hostess Fruit Pies have all the glory?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's fair. I don't mean to poo poo on a thing people are enjoying, sorry.
For whatever my dumb opinion is worth I agree with you, and I think it's an opinion worth voicing, especially because you weren't being a sick or anything. That's way better than me,

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Like why are they calling them perverts? It only works as a cheap copy-paste of gay marriage arguments but they don't follow logically over from "marriage is not a thing." Maybe I'm missing something.

It's not just that it's a thing. The concept of monogamy, fathers knowing who their children are, ect after cavetribe polyamory is the societal shock.

I didn't actually actually like this week's comic much, but free love being the conservative stance of cavemen is funny.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They could completely drop the Flintstones thing and just have a clubbingly dull "social commentary" comic.

All things being equal, though, maybe I would rather have this than "There is a fourth wall in comics. Whoops I forgot to tell a joke!" for the millionth time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was Prez and nobody bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was Prez and nobody bought it.

Don't remind me :sigh: