Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bad Munki posted:

Why are mommy and daddy fighting

In totally unrelated news, my shop is finally getting electricity come Thursday. In the mean time, I'm putting a floor in the attic to make some usable storage space. So much room for activities!

I have two more bays to fill with tubasixes and then I'll haul up a dozen sheets of OSB. Leaving a bay at each end open, one for stairs, and one as a way to pull larger items up. Thinking about hanging a block and tackle from the beam there, as it's a 10' climb and that'd be super nice.

Anyhow, I want to install some lights in the next couple days in anticipation of the coming juice. Thinking LED, and daylight color temps, and ungodly bright to the point where it seems the roof came off if you don't look up. Any recommendations? My last shop I just put in a pie of T12s but I guess those are done now and I want to go LED anyhow. I generally prefer tube-lights for a workspace since they don't make hard shadows, and I could just get faux-t12 (or t8 or whatever) LED tubes, but is there a better way?

I think I may have posted my LED experiences earlier in the thread, but I used a set of the Phillips InstantFit LEDs in my basement and have been really please with them. They work with a newer style electronic ballast. Apparently you can also get lights that are "direct wire" and meant to have the ballast completely removed, so you're plugging them into 120v. There are supposedly trade-offs either way. There are also the fully-integrated shop-lights that have LEDs built in, but I'd avoid those. What I will say is that from my experience the fully integrated LED shop-lights all seem to have worse Lumens/Watt than the replacement bulbs, in addition to limited color temps and (at least much more noticeable) flickering. Apparently LED burn-in color shift is also a real thing, so I wouldn't want to commit to not being able to replace the bulbs (even if it would still have a lifespan approaching a decade).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
I've got an issue that I'm having trouble getting my head around. I need to cut a 30 degree chamfer along the edge of a 1x12, about 18 inches long. My table saw tilts to 45 degrees, so that's not going to work. I can hold the piece up along the fence, but it dips down into the throat as I pass the blade. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. Any help is appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/pdrzz5t.png

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Build a temporary support jig you can clamp to the table and run your stock through.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
What about making a zero-clearance insert? Or use a router table with a chamfer bit?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why not just use a normal saw and hand plane?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Loopyface posted:

... it dips down into the throat as I pass the blade.

That's odd. It's the same operation as making raised panels on a table saw, commonly done. If the throat on your saw is freakishly large then you'll need a ZCI. Zero Clearance Insert

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
The Shinto "rasp" is great, but it functions more like a bunch of tiny saw blades. The cut is very aggressive even on the fine side, especially on softer woods. You can easily get tear out going against the grain. I use it for starting guitar neck carving but switch to a real rasp pretty quickly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

That's odd. It's the same operation as making raised panels on a table saw, commonly done. If the throat on your saw is freakishly large then you'll need a ZCI. Zero Clearance Insert

Agreed. Which you can make yourself with a scrap of 1/4" plywood.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

wormil posted:

I have a rigid contractor saw and the stock insert plate is metal but rather flimsy. If you try to run something through that is tall and narrow enough that it isn't supported by the table and rests just on the insert plate it will sag down. Not that common for me to run into that scenario but one day I'll get around to making a reinforced zero clearance plate.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Squibbles posted:

I have a rigid contractor saw and the stock insert plate is metal but rather flimsy. If you try to run something through that is tall and narrow enough that it isn't supported by the table and rests just on the insert plate it will sag down. Not that common for me to run into that scenario but one day I'll get around to making a reinforced zero clearance plate.

Some saws are a pain to make a zero clearance insert for (like mine. Too much material has to come out for anything but phenolic to work), but you can just throw a scrap of plywood on the saw, clamp it down and raise the blade through it to make a zero clearance.. plate? Works great. Even 1/4" ply will work just fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If anyone doesn't know, the new Festool sander is on sale today for $99 free shipping. I forgot to grab the link but it's in the tool thread.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I just blew 4 hours turning the most absurd mallet I've ever seen on my lathe and can't wait to get my camera from the office tomorrow so I can show it off.

runaway pancake posted:

The Shinto "rasp" is great, but it functions more like a bunch of tiny saw blades. The cut is very aggressive even on the fine side, especially on softer woods. You can easily get tear out going against the grain. I use it for starting guitar neck carving but switch to a real rasp pretty quickly.
Thank you for mentioning that! I will keep it in mind.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
It's not that the insert is flexing, it's that when I have the blade tilted to 30° there's enough of a gap between the blade and the insert slot that the workpiece will slip down. I have a zero clearance insert but can't use it when I'm making angled cuts.

I'll just fab up a jig, thanks.

Edit: VV Yeah, that makes sense.

Loopyface fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 5, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Loopyface posted:

It's not that the insert is flexing, it's that when I have the blade tilted to 30° there's enough of a gap between the blade and the insert slot that the workpiece will slip down. I have a zero clearance insert but can't use it when I'm making angled cuts.

I'll just fab up a jig, thanks.

Use plywood and make one for this angled cut

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Parts Kit posted:

I just blew 4 hours turning the most absurd mallet I've ever seen on my lathe and can't wait to get my camera from the office tomorrow so I can show it off.

Holding you to this!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Trabant posted:

Holding you to this!
It will be later in the day since I don't browse SA on my work computer, but it's going to happen! The head looks like something out of a cartoon and the handle looks like someone tried to turn a candlestick first. :lol:

Also gently caress turning red oak again, that poo poo is rough on the turning tools and tears out like a motherfucker.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

GEMorris posted:

What's your current drill situation?

I have a cordless drill as well as a benchtop drill press that works pretty decently. I bought the drill press after making my workbench using plans that required drilling a bunch of 3/8" holes through 4x4 cedar legs. The old NiCd batteries in my cordless are....not great....and I could practically hear the drill slowing in real time as it was desperately trying to bore through.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have a cheap corded drill that does the same thing, with the added benefit of the bits being those hexagonal quick-fit type that frequently leave the drill bit lodged in the wood.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

If anyone doesn't know, the new Festool sander is on sale today for $99 free shipping. I forgot to grab the link but it's in the tool thread.

Saw that. Is there any reason I'd want that over the existing dewalt I have other than that it says festool on the side?

I mean like if it has superior dust evacuation or will massage my shoulders at the end of the day or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

Saw that. Is there any reason I'd want that over the existing dewalt I have other than that it says festool on the side?

I mean like if it has superior dust evacuation or will massage my shoulders at the end of the day or something.

I'll let you know sometime in November. I have a 5" PC that my wife bought me to replace the one she burnt up by pressing down really hard while sanding floors. Of course the replacement is a cheap model compared to the one she burnt up. So I could use a good sander.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Can't speak for that particular one, but both the Rotex and ETS-EC that I've used heavily have really, really good dust removal, assuming you've got them hooked to a vac. The pad brake is a pretty nice feature, too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need to make a bunch of small drawers (~ 1.5" tall) and am mulling over two options.

1. box joints
2. drawer lock joint

Either one can be made on the tablesaw or router. I feel like the drawer lock would be quickest and least fuss. And I'm leaning heavily that direction but I have never made drawers with that joint so it could be fussier than I imagine. You can even buy a router bit for $40 that does both sides with the same setup. Anyone used one of these or have a preference?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

I need to make a bunch of small drawers (~ 1.5" tall) and am mulling over two options.

1. box joints
2. drawer lock joint

Either one can be made on the tablesaw or router. I feel like the drawer lock would be quickest and least fuss. And I'm leaning heavily that direction but I have never made drawers with that joint so it could be fussier than I imagine. You can even buy a router bit for $40 that does both sides with the same setup. Anyone used one of these or have a preference?

That's a lot of metal to be spinning around @ 15k rpm or whatever in a 5 pound router. Just imo. It always makes me nervous to put a bigass bit into a router, even though I've got some bigass bits. I had something similar to that that cut a full locking miter using a shaper and used it for a single job.

Also, I'm not visualizing how you'll cut the fronts with any control if it doesn't have a bearing or something*? Set the fence 1 1/2" off center and God will provide? Challenging.

*Which obviously, it can't have to cut right, but idk good luck I guess?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I'm taking the roof off my house and adding a second storey in the spring, so Dad and I decided to make the windows in advance so we could just fit them as soon as it's being made wind-and-watertight. We've made six of the seven, so far, and only had one fitting where the sash was exactly the amount bigger than the frame than it should have been smaller.

The delight of opening and closing the windows we've made, which only a couple of days earlier had been fairly rough timber, has yet to wear off. If I never have to work out how to fit another espagnolette, however, it shall be far too soon.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought the dreadful cobbled together drop leaf table for it's wood. Only question is what the hell kind of wood is it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I bought the dreadful cobbled together drop leaf table for it's wood. Only question is what the hell kind of wood is it?

Well first thing is to sand it down to see the untreated wood.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Also, I'm not visualizing how you'll cut the fronts

Rockler has a great video on how they work. Adjoining sides use the same setup and it's much simpler than a lock miter set.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nielsm posted:

Well first thing is to sand it down to see the untreated wood.

Not here yet. Kind of feel bad insulting this because it was clearly made with love by someone's granddad in a shed, which it the other side to European carpentry. But it is an ugly misshapen monster. Seller has a load of decent stuff detailed as oak or mahogany and then this which is labelled as "wood". "Legs" look to be oak and that would make sense if it's older than 20 years, top could be anything because I doubt the person who made the frame could round off the edges like that. I bet it's oak though, not lucky enough for it to be mahogany.

It is worse at a distance.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

learnincurve posted:

Not here yet. Kind of feel bad insulting this because it was clearly made with love by someone's granddad in a shed, which it the other side to European carpentry. But it is an ugly misshapen monster. Seller has a load of decent stuff detailed as oak or mahogany and then this which is labelled as "wood". "Legs" look to be oak and that would make sense if it's older than 20 years, top could be anything because I doubt the person who made the frame could round off the edges like that. I bet it's oak though, not lucky enough for it to be mahogany.

Can't tell poo poo from a picture like that but the top looks like maple/birch family

wormil posted:

Rockler has a great video on how they work. Adjoining sides use the same setup and it's much simpler than a lock miter set.

I got to remember all this stuff is in online videos somewhere now. :wal::dadjoke:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Looks like my craftsmanship TBH.

Well, more like my dad's. "Workbench is tipping? Just screw some four foot pontoons to it!"

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

learnincurve posted:

I stared at this a long time before figuring out what might be going on there. Do the two end-legs fold in and the tops fold down?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In theory it's a gate leg drop leaf table. Ones you would usually see have barley twist or tapering legs and not planks and they are usually oval, but square is not uncommon.

fold up like a concertina.

e: if it's oak the wood is worth about £100, if it's not oak it's worth considerably more.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Speaking of tables, anyone have any good ideas for leaf designs? I want to build a table with either a split middle that will accept a leaf or maybe the kind where the leaf pulls out of the ends.

I'm having some difficulty in visualising how exactly to do the pull apart bit without resorting to metal hardware/kits or making a structurally unsound table.

This would be just a basic 4 leg with aprons style dinner table.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice
Woodgoons, I am in the market for a good quality planer. Used is ok, and price is not too much of a concern. Any brands or types I should be looking for or specifically avoiding? Just looking for suggestions to get the search started. This will go into a shop my dad and I have been putting together to work on various wood projects. We have come to the point where we are wasting too much time trying to sand stuff flat. I expect it to be used a couple times a week for many years to come. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: I should clarify, I am not looking for a corded portable planer, I am looking for something that can handle up to 18" (or so) and is suitable for shop work.

The Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 5, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Easy answer, look on ebay for a Stanley record no 5. :) All planes new or old will also need sharpening.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Pigeon posted:

Woodgoons, I am in the market for a good quality planer. Used is ok, and price is not too much of a concern. Any brands or types I should be looking for or specifically avoiding? Just looking for suggestions to get the search started. This will go into a shop my dad and I have been putting together to work on various wood projects. We have come to the point where we are wasting too much time trying to sand stuff flat. I expect it to be used a couple times a week for many years to come. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: I should clarify, I am not looking for a corded portable planer, I am looking for something that can handle up to 18" (or so) and is suitable for shop work.

18" gets into the pricey department, and most stuff that size is quality you'll likely pay a few grand for. Keep a weather eye out on craigslist. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd bet surface sander of that size plans are out there. That seems like a good tool to build.

edit, idk where you live, but here's the magic craigslist formula in google 18" planer site:craigslist.org

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wormil posted:

1. box joints
2. drawer lock joint

Those router bits are great, but it definitely takes a good bit of setup time. Once you're ready to go, it's super fast. If you have a gang-cutting box joint jig like the screw advance or John Heisz jig, I think box joints would still be faster though. If you have a box joint jig that involves moving the stock by hand over one notch at a time, I'd go for the drawer lock joint.

The Pigeon posted:

18" is a whole lot for a surface planer. Lunchbox style planers stop at about 13". 15" is fairly reasonably priced, but the next step up is 20" (typically) and it's a good deal more. Check out the used market as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-in-Thickness-Corded-Planer-R4331/100634358
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453W?utm_campaign=zPage
http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-Planer/G0454W?utm_campaign=zPage

It's also worth noting that planers don't make things flat, they just make them parallel. If you've got a warped piece of wood and you pass it through a surface planer, you'll have a very smooth and parallel warped piece of wood coming out the other side (sorry if you knew that, I don't mean to be a dick, it's just a common misconception).

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice
Thanks for all the replies.

Hypnolobster posted:

18" is a whole lot for a surface planer. Lunchbox style planers stop at about 13". 15" is fairly reasonably priced, but the next step up is 20" (typically) and it's a good deal more. Check out the used market as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-in-Thickness-Corded-Planer-R4331/100634358
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453W?utm_campaign=zPage
http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-Planer/G0454W?utm_campaign=zPage

It's also worth noting that planers don't make things flat, they just make them parallel. If you've got a warped piece of wood and you pass it through a surface planer, you'll have a very smooth and parallel warped piece of wood coming out the other side (sorry if you knew that, I don't mean to be a dick, it's just a common misconception).

Totally not being a dick. I appreciate the input and know exactly what you meant and what planers do. As far as the grizzlys are concerned, I have found several on craigslist and they seem to hover in the $1000 range for the 20" version. Is this what one would expect to pay? I cant imagine they depreciate too much assuming they are in working condition.

Mr. Mambold posted:

18" gets into the pricey department, and most stuff that size is quality you'll likely pay a few grand for. Keep a weather eye out on craigslist. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd bet surface sander of that size plans are out there. That seems like a good tool to build.

edit, idk where you live, but here's the magic craigslist formula in google 18" planer site:craigslist.org
15" may be a better option for us, but I know if we got something larger, the day would come where we would be thankful we did. My budget is in the couple thousand range, so its all good. I live in the Phoenix area and there are options up on craigs list. I have also hit up pawn shops and the like which is how I came to the realization that I didnt know what I didnt know about planers. Your Google fu is appreciated.

learnincurve posted:

Easy answer, look on ebay for a Stanley record no 5. :) All planes new or old will also need sharpening.

Alas, I am not manly enough to get away with using the Stanley record no 5. I shall now hang my head in shame.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Pigeon posted:

Thanks for all the replies.

Totally not being a dick. I appreciate the input and know exactly what you meant and what planers do. As far as the grizzlys are concerned, I have found several on craigslist and they seem to hover in the $1000 range for the 20" version. Is this what one would expect to pay? I cant imagine they depreciate too much assuming they are in working condition.

I'd be on that like stink on poo poo if it ran at all, that is major tool theft of the year territory. Typical prices are closer to 2500-4000, no joke.

edit- grizzlys are generally very good and comparable to the high-end U.S. companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

$1000 for a used 20" Grizzly is super good if it's in good shape. If you go used and get a great deal, a drum sander (Supermax 19-38, as an example) will let you go way wider as well. They're great to have around in general.

For the used market, it's hard to go wrong with any of the 20" planers as long as they're in good shape. It gets a little muddier for 15" planers because there are tons of different knockoffs of the same design.