Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, that's a solid list. Genestealer Cults are going to be pretty drat strong in Kill Team. They've got the numbers to keep from breaking for a while and the offensive strength to knock out a lot of other decent lists. A Goliath is actually a really solid choice here too, as it meets the <33AV requirement. Obviously not useful until the model is available, but worth mentioning.

Yeah I was considering a proxy until it's out, but I think being able to outflank those flamer Metamorphs is enough of a pressure tactic. The firebase with the cannons and grenade launchers will do lots of work while they are ripping faces off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

The whole reason the Primus is created is so that he can spread the fight to other planets as well.

The Primus Magus is actually the head of the religion on the local planet/system. Spreading is done via Genestealer. It's explained pretty well in the Genestealer Cults novella (though the Codex might contradict this):
The Primus acts like a GSC pope who interfaces with the Patriarch. At one point, a group of Stealers and one of the "enlightened" sneak into a shuttle and blast off planet to bring the light elsewhere. During the flight, the Stealers go into hibernation and the dude eventually dies of exposure. Years later, a salvage team finds the shuttle and enters it to claim any spoils they can find. One of the Stealers wakes up and not only realizes it's companions have died in transit, but that it somehow has independent thoughts and knows that it needs to start the process all over again. It begins by infecting the salvage crew and eventually becoming a new Patriarch.

EDIT: Yes, the codex does state that the Primus is responsible for spreading the GSC to other planets. Of course, then it immediately states that the Primus is spontaneously created just before the uprising.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 10, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Having just started assembling some, I can say that the Overkill Neophyte Hybrids are a FAR support build than the official kit. The way the bodies/torsos are set up in the new kit are on a peg system and certain torsos only fit certain leg pairs. Even if you clip the pegs off the slopes on the bottom of the torso bits still only properly fit on their paired legs. It's not a huge deal, but for bulk infantry models it's a bit annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PierreTheMime posted:

Having just started assembling some, I can say that the Overkill Neophyte Hybrids are a FAR support build than the official kit. The way the bodies/torsos are set up in the new kit are on a peg system and certain torsos only fit certain leg pairs. Even if you clip the pegs off the slopes on the bottom of the torso bits still only properly fit on their paired legs. It's not a huge deal, but for bulk infantry models it's a bit annoying.

That's lame. Usually its the cheaper big-box sets that have the monopose kinda snap guys, and then the normal unit kits will allow much more freedom. Its backwards.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
That said the weapon options are great. I think I'm going to set up the models with 2 Flamers, 7 Shotguns, Cult Icon, and a Leader with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword. I can't imagine using all 44 models I already have (I lean more toward Acolytes/Metamorphs) but having a rowdy Neophyte assault crew for either truckin' around in a Goliath or Cult Ambushing into the backline sounds fun.

"Oh, I rolled a 6? Let's get to work, boys!" :black101:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd actually prefer it if common troops were monopose. I don't have the time to pose 100 Orks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd actually prefer it if common troops were monopose. I don't have the time to pose 100 Orks.

You're playing Orks wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

:frogout:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Hormagaunts are the perfect mass model in my opinion, just enough freedom to make each model slightly different and requires almost no thought or effort to put togther.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Hormagaunts are the perfect mass model in my opinion, just enough freedom to make each model slightly different and requires almost no thought or effort to put togther.

Cleverly designed to require buying tons of foam to keep those fragile little arms safe.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Nichol posted:

Cleverly designed to require buying tons of foam to keep those fragile little arms safe.

Just mentioning them by name makes half of them snap off their base. :shepicide:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

PierreTheMime posted:

Just mentioning them by name makes half of them snap off their base. :shepicide:

This is actually more accurate. The arms are relatively secure compared to a gaunt with a repaired foot.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

But I'm betting it was just "Tau exploit Tyranids' most deadly feature against them, lol."

Ding ding ding ding!

The nids adapt to a Tau strategy, so the Tau come up with a new one. The nids adapt to that, the Tau change again. The nids adapt to that, the Tau change again and then the hivefleet starves to death because it only had 3 waves worth of Tyranids.

Nichol posted:

This is actually more accurate. The arms are relatively secure compared to a gaunt with a repaired foot.

I posed my first batch of hormagaunts, then 2/3 of them broke and now sit at funny angles. The rest have their claws on the ground to make repairs easier.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
i hate the head halves, like really? this was necessary? loving old kits

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Phyresis posted:

Maybe since GSC is selling like gangbusters they'll redo all the old Tyranid ranges and release a new awesome balanced codex?

Right?!?

RIGHT??@?@

:suicide:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

Got my first GSC game tonight, with a list that basically covers everything I've painted / assembled barely reaching 1500pts. Really curious to see how a Brood Cycle performs (and more importantly, how well I remember to keep track of all the stacking special rules).

Trip report: Cult victory!

Played against an Ultramarine list with tons of flamers, mortars and heavy bolters and still eked out a 7-4 win from board control.

Star unit: Acolyte Iconward. Finished off a squad of assault marines solo then proceeded to hand out FNP for the rest of the game (I rolled far more 6+ saves than I had any right to). Planning on making at least another one of these, for 65pts they're invaluable.
Biggest disappointment: The First Curse formation. It's way too big of an investment to make the most of this army's bonuses, and the random roll doesn't make up for it since most of the bonuses can get obtained elsewhere. A bad ambush roll leaves you stuck with a ~400 point unit that can't fit into a lot of terrain pieces and has limited impact compared to the same models across 2-3 smaller units. The 5++ and Stealth upgrades were really a gamechanger for 'stealers in general though; enough of the unit lasted to the end of the game to score some key points.

Using Cult Ambush with the standard detachment was fun, I'm really looking forward to using it with Subterranean Uprising once I get enough models sorted.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I think it too me longer to put together 10 dudes than it did their Chimera. Glad the rest of my Neophytes for now are Cadians.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 5, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

xtothez posted:

Trip report: Cult victory!

Played against an Ultramarine list with tons of flamers, mortars and heavy bolters and still eked out a 7-4 win from board control.

Awesome! Did you pretty much just rend everything to death? Did Cult Ambush actually play a decisive role by forcing them to deploy super conservatively?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Maybe since GSC is selling like gangbusters they'll redo all the old Tyranid ranges and release a new awesome balanced codex?

Right?!?

RIGHT??@?@

:suicide:
Don't worry, Tyranids will get a new dual kit for two monsters that overlap with the carnifex. They will also be impossible to transport when fully assembled. Additionally, warriors will be moved back to the Elites slot with no explanation and Tyranid Primes will go up another 50 points.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Safety Factor posted:

Don't worry, Tyranids will get a new dual kit for two monsters that overlap with the carnifex. They will also be impossible to transport when fully assembled.

The haruspex/exocrine already exists though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Awesome! Did you pretty much just rend everything to death? Did Cult Ambush actually play a decisive role by forcing them to deploy super conservatively?

The best part of the deployment rules is board control and target overload for your opponent, especially on the first turn when everything has awesome cover saves to whittle down. Most of my luck went into good saves rather than Cult Ambush or rends. Only two units rolled insta-assault; one was focused down and wiped out first and the other was a returning bunch of Neophytes with heavy weapons :v:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The new White Dwarf is pretty awesome.

Regarding the comic: the inking isn't very good, but the pencils look pretty awesome. Seems like they lose a lot of detail and emphasis in the transition from pencils to inks.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
We laugh at the Tyranid codex, but the GSC book, combined with the efforts of GW so far this year... I'm actually really optimistic for the next Tyranid book. I think it might actually be GOOD.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Man, Genestealers aren't cheap as dirt anymore on eBay, but I'd like to land some I don't have to build from sprue. :(

At the least, I will probably grab some with Scything Talons just because I can summon them rather than paying points for them.

Ninja edit: I hate free stuff in the game, but gently caress 3ppm for the poo poo Cruddace indefensibly nerfed.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

We laugh at the Tyranid codex, but the GSC book, combined with the efforts of GW so far this year... I'm actually really optimistic for the next Tyranid book. I think it might actually be GOOD.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. I suspect that Tyrants will double in cost and wings will be dropped as an option.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ro5s posted:

The haruspex/exocrine already exists though.
Hey now, the exocrine is actually pretty unique in its role. The haruspex... I guess it regenerates a lot? I don't think anyone runs that thing because it's in the Elites slot which is going to be full of hive guard, venomthropes, zoanthropes, etc. and there are monstrous creatures available elsewhere.

Now that pods are a thing, dropping a regenerating crab claw monster into enemy lines doesn't sound like the worst idea. I have no idea how many points that would be or if it would be anything close to worth it. It's been a long time since I've played with my Tyranids.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Safety Factor posted:

Hey now, the exocrine is actually pretty unique in its role. The haruspex... I guess it regenerates a lot? I don't think anyone runs that thing because it's in the Elites slot which is going to be full of hive guard, venomthropes, zoanthropes, etc. and there are monstrous creatures available elsewhere.

Now that pods are a thing, dropping a regenerating crab claw monster into enemy lines doesn't sound like the worst idea. I have no idea how many points that would be or if it would be anything close to worth it. It's been a long time since I've played with my Tyranids.

Exocrines are fun and okay, but not competitive in the tournament scene.

The haruspex is unusable garbage. It has 3 attacks at WS3. It's a close combat monstrous creature... with 3 attacks at WS3. They're not even S10 or even S8 to make up for it.

Oddly enough, the elite slot isn't crammed anymore. Hive Guard aren't good now that they're more expensive and dropped to BS3, so nobody takes them these days. Venomthropes are completely useless in a world where malanthropes exist. Zoanthropes are overpriced, but are okay I guess. Warp Lance is just not that good. It's very unreliable at Warp Charge 2, and there's just so much psychic defense these days. Running a single one can be okay for backfield Synapse if you can't take Malanthropes.

Then there's the Pyrovores.

If you want to drop a nasty close combat MC in the backfield, you're far better off with a Toxicrene than a Haruspex, and if you have one and can take it, a Dimachaeron is hands down the best close combat option Tyranids have.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

If you are going to pod in a monster, a Tyrannofex makes a lot more sense.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

Exocrines are fun and okay, but not competitive in the tournament scene.

The haruspex is unusable garbage. It has 3 attacks at WS3. It's a close combat monstrous creature... with 3 attacks at WS3. They're not even S10 or even S8 to make up for it.

Oddly enough, the elite slot isn't crammed anymore. Hive Guard aren't good now that they're more expensive and dropped to BS3, so nobody takes them these days. Venomthropes are completely useless in a world where malanthropes exist. Zoanthropes are overpriced, but are okay I guess. Warp Lance is just not that good. It's very unreliable at Warp Charge 2, and there's just so much psychic defense these days. Running a single one can be okay for backfield Synapse if you can't take Malanthropes.

Then there's the Pyrovores.

If you want to drop a nasty close combat MC in the backfield, you're far better off with a Toxicrene than a Haruspex, and if you have one and can take it, a Dimachaeron is hands down the best close combat option Tyranids have.
Sounds about right. Looking at Battlescribe, a haruspex and a spore is 250-300 points depending on upgrades. Haha, never mind. I forgot that the haruspex was only 3 attacks at WS3.

TKIY posted:

If you are going to pod in a monster, a Tyrannofex makes a lot more sense.
I was always a big fan of my tyrannofex. Acid spray, cluster spines, and a thorax weapon. It had to walk a bit to get in range, but it was a murder machine once it got there. Honestly, the cults book has me itching to bust out my Tyranids again and there's a 40k escalation league about to start at my store. Hmm.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A Tyranid CAD makes a ton of sense. Couple of Tyrants, troop tax of your choice, then giant gribblies all around.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

That we wont see for another 2-3 years I bet.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Assembling tiny plastic army men is very difficult!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

if you think 40k minis are difficult to assemble stay far away from malifaux

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ignite Memories posted:

Worse; Infinity

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The overwhelming majority of new Infinity models are fine. Malifaux is way worse when it comes to models with thousands of random tiny bits because they let their casting company in China do parts separation rather than cut things in-house.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TKIY posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. I suspect that Tyrants will double in cost and wings will be dropped as an option.

I'm preparing for twin linked devourers with brainleech worms to get nerfed :( please make the nids good, GW. Please.

mango sentinel posted:

Assembling tiny plastic army men is very difficult!

I think assembling is super fun and easy and love it. Its the painting that's hard for me, although I'm improving!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ignite Memories posted:

My wife was putting together a Dawn Serpent as I was assembling Tau. It did not go well.

Bodes poorly for her Shadow Emissary that's on preorder or my plan to get the Hired Swords box when I'm done painting my Kill Teams.

40k seems to be real wishy washy with rules and poo poo compared to coming from something like MtG, and everything seems to be "just ask who you're playing with." Does it actually matter what guns and bits I've got on my troops or can I just be like "these are all strike dudes with pulse rifles?"

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 5, 2016

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I came from MTG, then Warmachine, Malifaux, and X-wing before I started with 40k.

The rules being wishy-washy and unclear is probably my least liked thing about the game apart from general faction balance.

Oh, and Hired Swords isn't that bad to assemble outside of the ponytails being separate pieces.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

40k seems to be real wishy washy with rules and poo poo compared to coming from something like MtG, and everything seems to be "just ask who you're playing with." Does it actually matter what guns and bits I've got on my troops or can I just be like "these are all strike dudes with pulse rifles?"
What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG) is a bit more relaxed than it used to be, but it still matters to an extent. Power weapons in particular are a sticking point. I wouldn't go arming your dudes with weapons they don't have access to, especially if that weapon is the mark of a completely different unit, but the occasional pistol or something won't matter.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TKIY posted:

A Tyranid CAD makes a ton of sense. Couple of Tyrants, troop tax of your choice, then giant gribblies all around.

After playing about a dozen games now I actually think the troops are what make Tryanids playable in the local game store and are not a tax at all. A lot of armies just can't deal with 120 objective secure troops on the table, which is really easy to get even in a 1250 point game. If you use Malenthropes and stagger their lines (5-8 in a line, then a different unit right behind, then more from the first and so on) its pretty easy to keep them alive moving down the board. You will never out kill your opponent but a lot of them will lose to an objective focused strategy.

I think most of the monstrous creatures are actually over priced for what they do, with maybe the exception of the Mawloc... but it is unreliable as it has to start in reserves and might not show up till turn 4.

FHT are obviously the best thing in the codex by far, expect them to get nerfed in the next codex. Lets just hope they bring everything else up enough to make it not awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Phyresis posted:

These loving things. WHY?

• Locked thread