Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I feel that declawing a polydactyl's extra claws if they're constantly causing the animal pain is one of the few reasonable uses of the procedure, the other being an aggressive cat that would otherwise be put down. One of ours has a normal number of claws but one just ended up ingrown for the second time and we're gonna keep a really close eye on it from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Today marks Day 3 of Sick Tuna. He's extremely lethargic, and while I do have a bit of food out for him, he hasn't really been eating as far as I can tell, though I *think* he has drank a little--I haven't caught him in the act to be sure. When I took him to the vet on Monday, they gave him subcutaneous fluids. He wasn't running a fever when I took him in, and didn't have any kind of intestinal blockage.

Am I being overly worried and he's going to be back on his feet meowing incessantly at me soon enough? I just want him to be okay :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leela was getting into her stitches after getting fixed..

Jesus this is sad. :smith: :smith:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Leela was getting into her stitches after getting fixed..

Jesus this is sad. :smith: :smith:

PSA: do not remove the cone until the stitches are FULLY HEALED

FULLY loving HEALED

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agreed. I personally once had stitches for surgery, and I regret biting them off with my own teeth as soon as my parents removed the cone. Oh wait what

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My cat Aika is going for her radioiodine tomorrow. I'm not worried at all about any physical side effects or complications but what I AM worried about is her psychological health during the week-long isolation. I'm going to send her along with a bit of washcloth with my scent but I'm wondering if that's going to be enough. Poor Aika.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duckfarts posted:

FULLY loving HEALED

Yeah, as heartbreaking as it is to see I'm fully on board with this. She was a pain in the rear end at the vet's (so much so that they refer to her as "the bad kitty") so I want to make sure she doesn't have to go back until next year.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

duckfarts posted:

FULLY loving HEALED

I can attest to this, my vet didn't actually give me a cone and Luna busted her stitches day one, then it got infected and that was another adventure that had me almost going bald.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Stuff like this makes me realize how lucky Jackie has been, being such a *healthy* kitty for her entire life. She's never had any real problems worse than an ingrown claw in her entire life *literally just knocked on wood*.

Boy - she is really developing an attitude lately though, ever since Sardine. Used to be that there was NOTHING I could *possibly* do to make Jackie mad at me. Literally it wasn't possible no matter how I tried. Now? I can *definitely piss her off SERIOUSLY to the point that she is scowling and meowing at any touch or noise I make and lashing out with literally a slap in the face if I come too close.

I am seriously not joking - my cat slapped me with her open paw, claws in. I was shocked - it didn't leave a mark or hurt much but it was fast and... shocking :catstare:

edit: I should add Jackie has since forgiven me and is curled up against my leg in bed as I write this, where she will likely spend most of the next 10 hours sleeping/grooming :allears: Cats

We should really have a cat-grooming emoticon. I would use it *all* the time, just like my cat does, as a primly bored reaction to a statement or idea.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 7, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Tuna is eating again, and also meowing at me and jumping up on my desk when I try to computer. It's good to have you back, buddy--you aren't allowed to get sick ever again, okay?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Any suggestions for low dust clumping litter? The kind I use makes a ton of dust. Also some consideration to helping it not track around the house. I have two mats in front of the litter box but I still get a lot of litter tracking around.

bonus picture:

turbomoose fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 7, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Try "World's Best". Its way less dusty than the standard clay litters and made with corn. My idiot still tracks it around but it doesn't escape the litterbox room at least. I do see orange pawprints once in a while on my dark bedsheets but no big deal. It clumps great, doesn't smell bad and is flushable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We use Tidy Cats which clumps very well and isn't very dusty at all. Of course, Scout tracks it all over the place, but that's because she is an indelicate oaf, not because of the litter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet caught a mouse!

I'm so proud of him. I should let it out though.

be free little buddy

Well, okay, I guess you're too tired. Back in the bag you go.

Anyway, let's let the landlord know and get back into bed-

Oh gently caress the door is locked.

JET. JET I SEE YOU IN THERE. LET ME IN YOU SON OF A BITCH.

Sigh. Landlord won't be here for another half hour or so. It's gonna be a long morning.

And I'm not even wearing pants.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

My cat is now radioactive and is sleeping in a vented hood to collect her radioactive breath.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Jet caught a mouse!

I'm so proud of him. I should let it out though.

be free little buddy

Sigh. Landlord won't be here for another half hour or so. It's gonna be a long morning.

Its the combination of the pictures and your avatar that really made this one for me. LMAO!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

My cat is now radioactive and is sleeping in a vented hood to collect her radioactive breath.

Good Luck and I hope it works for her. My girl failed the initial workup (she was fitting with the extreme thyroid levels) and has to wait till Jan/Feb to go back. If you could keep informing us how it goes I'd appreciate the insight into what awaits us. BTW, I do hope you took the golden opportunity this presents to purchase a Geiger counter? It's the perfect excuse and I certainly intend to.

Pollyanna posted:

Jet caught a mouse!

See, you disappointed you mouse loving hippy! Instead of playing with it, killing it and munching down on it's warm corpse like you were supposed to learn how to do. You went and took it for a walk and a chat - kerlick - locked door.

More serious note though, it was not going to scamper away. If it was knackered/beat up enough for you to catch, it probably had some pretty bad injuries. Looking at the 3rd photo there appear to be puncture wounds and dark staining from blood on its neck and down its back. Punctured lung? Broken ribs? Internal bleeding? It's probably suffering from shock too so it might have been kinder to just kill it and be done with.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Pollyanna posted:

be free little buddy

I'm laughing on the outside and the inside :haw:

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Well, we woke up to Fiona yowling with her paw stuck underneath the door. Hissing and meowing ensued as we tried to get her unstuck. We did, but she had a limp when she went under the bed to hide.

I'm at work now but my partner is with her. One of her claws wouldn't retract seemingly, so it looks like a vet visit is in order.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Good Luck and I hope it works for her. My girl failed the initial workup (she was fitting with the extreme thyroid levels) and has to wait till Jan/Feb to go back. If you could keep informing us how it goes I'd appreciate the insight into what awaits us. BTW, I do hope you took the golden opportunity this presents to purchase a Geiger counter? It's the perfect excuse and I certainly intend to.

They call us every morning to give us updates. After about a half a day of sulking, she has turned around and decided that everything is cool and okay. She is now being described as "very friendly" which is weird because she usually hates strangers.

We didn't think to get a geiger counter, too busy worrying if the whole experience would mindcrush her.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm in the bedroom and I hear some kind of crinkling in the living room. I walk out to find three cats sitting in a circle, looking very guilty. No object in sight. They must have hidden it under this thing, as one of the cats was poking his head out the top.

During the course of my typing this I hear, again, the crinkling, but also some shuffling and... Some type of cardboard-y noise?

Cats :catstare:

I always sit in the living room so they never cause trouble but the one day I don't...
~:catstare:
:catstare: :catstare:

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Thank you for the advice from a few weeks ago cat thread. Jonesy has been with me for 2 weeks now, and he's the best goddamn cat.

I spoiled the crap out of him and got a huge cat tree, water fountain, and a bunch of toys and stuff. He's a pretty happy, cuddly dude.

I haven't been able to get him to eat any wet food though. I've tried 6 different flavours and 2 different brands, and he only really likes the gravy. Idk?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No real problem with that, just kibble the hell out of him. Weird cat tho.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I haven't been able to get him to eat any wet food though. I've tried 6 different flavours and 2 different brands, and he only really likes the gravy. Idk?

Is cat

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you desperately want him to like it try microwaving it a bit to release the terrible aromas they love

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My kitten is the opposite, I went and bought him some Royal Canin (expensive as gently caress) kibble and all he'll eat is Chicken Whiskas wet food. With a full bowl he'll meow for 1 hour until we give him the good stuff (it will also make the kibble wet with the sauce and he'll eat it afterwards). Thinking of just leaving it there, forcing him to eat it.

Also, kittens are crazy as gently caress. I actually googled "my kitten is" and the first results were something like "hyper at night" and "crazy". He'll love petting for 4 hours and then the next day not accept a single hand on him. It's actually fun trying to guess what he's feeling like.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 11, 2016

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
A quick question on feeding. We have a kitten about two and half months old. He gets two cans of wet food per day (3 oz), and has a bowl full of blue buffalo kitten dry food available at all times. He eats the wet food likes he's starving, often leading to burps after scarfing his food as quickly as possible. Is this enough food? Am I starving my kitten?

I've tried googling, but I get so many different answers it's ridiculous.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Luminous Cow posted:

A quick question on feeding. We have a kitten about two and half months old. He gets two cans of wet food per day (3 oz), and has a bowl full of blue buffalo kitten dry food available at all times. He eats the wet food likes he's starving, often leading to burps after scarfing his food as quickly as possible. Is this enough food? Am I starving my kitten?

I've tried googling, but I get so many different answers it's ridiculous.

He's fine. As long as there's dry food available he's not going to starve to death.

My cats will snarf down canned food like they haven't eaten in a week, then beg for more. They then drift on over to the bowl of dry food when there isn't any more forthcoming.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Thank you for the advice from a few weeks ago cat thread. Jonesy has been with me for 2 weeks now, and he's the best goddamn cat.

I spoiled the crap out of him and got a huge cat tree, water fountain, and a bunch of toys and stuff. He's a pretty happy, cuddly dude.

If you want you could try pate style food, or something pricier like Thrive thats not the processed meat chunks. Some cats don't like the chunky bits but are cool with meat paste.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

My cat Pizza will not touch wet food, he just tries to bury it. I guess he'd just been fed nothing but kibble until we adopted him so that's all he wanted? However, my other cat Ozma loves wet food - if it's not from a can. If it's from a plastic cup or foil pouch style container it's fine, but I guess she tastes the metal from the can and hates it. If you haven't already, try a pouch or cup?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jackie will ONLY eat gross stinky pate-style wet food from cans. Well, that's not true - she'll eat endless amounts of dry food if allowed but we don't allow that anymore. Now, Sardine got introduced to wet food by me and *she* truly won't go back to eating dry food. But I can still give bits of dry cat kibble to Jackie as a reward and she snarfs them out of my palm like they're tasty-as-hell kitty treats.

Something that's still really puzzling me is how INCREDIBLY different Jackie and Sardine's fur is, despite them both being female tabbies from the northeast. But like, Sardine's fur has and continues to have the same texture, which is to say the same texture I find on the fur of like *every* shorthair tabby out there. Soft, but smooth - a bit of a texture that is soft but not like, smooth. It's fur on a cat, and it has a certain feel to it, you know? Sardine's fur feels like most every cat I've touched in my life.

But Jackie, on the other hand, has this fur that is just so satin-smooth and soft that there is like no texture at all! Her fur just feels totally bizarre, and everyone comments on it. It's really actually tough to describe. Incredibly smooth and without the subtle "texture" you get from most cat-fur is the best way I can put it. I just don't know *why* she has always has fur like that. She grooms an insane amount (daily, without fail, which is tons more than Sardine) so it could just be that. Can't see how it could be her diet as that has changes while her fur hasn't. Could also just be the way she is? Like I've said, she has a noticeably thick and soft waterproof undercoat - you can barely see a millimeter of Jackie's actual skin no matter how hard you try - ANYWHERE. Even on her brow or near her ear where with black cats you can see their skin, Jackie's still got the smooth undercoat there. It is impressive!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

kaworu posted:

But Jackie, on the other hand, has this fur that is just so satin-smooth and soft that there is like no texture at all! Her fur just feels totally bizarre, and everyone comments on it. It's really actually tough to describe. Incredibly smooth and without the subtle "texture" you get from most cat-fur is the best way I can put it. I just don't know *why* she has always has fur like that. She grooms an insane amount (daily, without fail, which is tons more than Sardine) so it could just be that. Can't see how it could be her diet as that has changes while her fur hasn't. Could also just be the way she is? Like I've said, she has a noticeably thick and soft waterproof undercoat - you can barely see a millimeter of Jackie's actual skin no matter how hard you try - ANYWHERE. Even on her brow or near her ear where with black cats you can see their skin, Jackie's still got the smooth undercoat there. It is impressive!

That sounds kinda like Milly, though her hair is a little longer. She looks a little scruffy but her fur is SO SOFT it doesn't make any sense. She does have cat pattern baldness above her eyes though. I think we need some more pictures to rate her fuzziness.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Cinder won't stop jumping on/tackling Mola. It used to be every few days but now it is multiple times a day and is getting out of control. I am at my wits' end with these cats and no longer know what to do. I am not sure whether it is territorial, jealousy when Mola gets attention from me, pent up energy/not enough playing, or any combination of the above. I worry that if I let things go on as they have been Mola will end up scared of everything and just hide under desks, downstairs, etc to get away from Cinder. What can I do?

Mola

Butthole Cinder

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Flying Leatherman posted:

Cinder won't stop jumping on/tackling Mola. It used to be every few days but now it is multiple times a day and is getting out of control. I am at my wits' end with these cats and no longer know what to do. I am not sure whether it is territorial, jealousy when Mola gets attention from me, pent up energy/not enough playing, or any combination of the above. I worry that if I let things go on as they have been Mola will end up scared of everything and just hide under desks, downstairs, etc to get away from Cinder. What can I do?

Let them work it out. It's part of what cats do socially. Unless there's actual blood it's not serious.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Let them work it out. It's part of what cats do socially. Unless there's actual blood it's not serious.

I mean, I get this cognitively, and I want to just let it be, but it is consistent dominance behavior. Like, tackling her and biting her ear/neck. There has been no blood drawn yet but the way it is happening worries me

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leela somehow got to her belly incision even with a cone on after getting fixed and we had to take her back into the vet for a re-glueing and some antibiotics. It wasn't too bad but they are just doing this as a precaution. She has to wear the cone longer now as a result. I so want her to be done with this cone :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

see if they can get a shirt to keep her from getting to it, especially since the cone doesnt work

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

explosivo posted:

Leela somehow got to her belly incision even with a cone on after getting fixed and we had to take her back into the vet for a re-glueing and some antibiotics. It wasn't too bad but they are just doing this as a precaution. She has to wear the cone longer now as a result. I so want her to be done with this cone :smith:

Watch the incision very closely, hope it doesn't get infected like what happened to mine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That wouldnt have happened if you would have stopped chewing at it Alteisen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

kaworu posted:

Oliver my old tom is like this. It's the reason he got a third chance at socialising in the pens rather than being shipped back to the farm he came off - his coat is just amazingly luxurious. He's still hair trigger timid after 16 years with me, he runs away if I sneeze suddenly but his coat is so amazingly soft and lush. He's sort of half long haired IMO, the hairs are longer than normal cats but shorter than long haired. He also grooms a lot and is quite happy to get some assistance via brushing. His tail is a magnificent long flag. He also has that very thick undercoat, it makes getting the flea stuff onto actual skin rather difficult. Enjoy your fluff beast, mine lets me put my face on his belly and blow bubbles - so soft. He hardly ever springs the trap too ;)

This photo is from a long time ago but you can see the 'lightness' of the fur being moved by the breeze.