Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vasler posted:

Has anyone ever purchased something from the B&H website linked earlier?
Yes. I've spent at least $10,000 there in the last few years. They're a go-to online merchant in SH/SC and The Dorkroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I bought a Pixel XL. Probably stupid to order it without really seeing any reviews or anything, but I'm pretty fed up with my Nexus 6. I'm not so worried about the value like most people in this thread are, it seems like a premium phone that is worth it (or at least could be, I guess?). I wasn't excited about the VR thing, but if it's free, then I'm pretty excited.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

myron cope posted:

I bought a Pixel XL. Probably stupid to order it without really seeing any reviews or anything, but I'm pretty fed up with my Nexus 6. I'm not so worried about the value like most people in this thread are, it seems like a premium phone that is worth it (or at least could be, I guess?). I wasn't excited about the VR thing, but if it's free, then I'm pretty excited.

Same here except I'm still using my N5 which is getting on 3 years old and really struggling these days. Price seems pretty par for the course in regards to a flagship phone from any current device manufacturer, definitely not high enough to turn me away.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't even imagine using a phone with having Nova installed.

Is not having the latest flagship that big of a deal in these days of Zenfones and the like? Sure if you pay double you'll have a better screen and camera, maybe a perk like waterproofing, but is that really worth another $350? I just think you're not missing out on too much if you can't afford the latest Google phone or if it's a disappointment.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I was holding onto my Moto X 2013 developers edition hoping the Pixel would be terrific but it looks like the overall reaction is... meh?

Guess it's the 5X? What are the downsides, I hear the camera isn't great but I already have a Moto and am used to lousy cameras.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The loving battery life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't even imagine using a phone with having Nova installed.

Is not having the latest flagship that big of a deal in these days of Zenfones and the like? Sure if you pay double you'll have a better screen and camera, maybe a perk like waterproofing, but is that really worth another $350? I just think you're not missing out on too much if you can't afford the latest Google phone or if it's a disappointment.

My Moto X Pure 2016 is running on something like the May 2016 security patch.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

monster on a stick posted:

I was holding onto my Moto X 2013 developers edition hoping the Pixel would be terrific but it looks like the overall reaction is... meh?

Guess it's the 5X? What are the downsides, I hear the camera isn't great but I already have a Moto and am used to lousy cameras.

Battery life. The camera is actually pretty loving good especially in HDR+ mode. It can be slow at times though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jigoku posted:

The loving battery life.

I said I have a Moto :downs: How bad is the battery life?

Some of the newer Moto phones look OK but they apparently hate phones for normal-sized hands.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't push my 5X that hard but a recent day I noticed, just as an example, I went probably 11-12 hours off a full charge, probably no more than 75-90 minutes SOT, playing audio through wired headphones another hour or two, on wifi nearly the whole time, and was down to about 45%. I don't use any of the apps that are the notorious battery-killers, like the messaging ones, and when I'm actively using it's just web/Twitter/Awful. I've never gotten in a spot where I really started to worry but like I said I don't push it that hard. I haven't seen any major change since the Nougat update except a bug where the phone loses wifi and the battery gets hammered until I notice and reboot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

5X camera is great. It uses the same one as the 6P.

E: Never had battery issues with my 5X either. I don't push it super hard e.g. games or weird battery killers like facebook, but I use it fairly heavily throughout the day for messaging/browsing and its usually still ~50% when I go to bed. I've had it for like 6 months and I've never gotten worried that I'm going to run out of battery, and I only charge it at night, so no boosts during the day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vasler posted:

Has anyone ever purchased something from the B&H website linked earlier? I was looking at the Nexus 5X. The 5X is a pretty decent price and I kind of want to get it for my wife since the Pixel is super expensive here in Canada.
B&H is well known and super reputable. Don't worry about them at all. Mostly photo gear, which costs a hell of a lot more than a phone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

My Moto X Pure 2016 is running on something like the May 2016 security patch.

That's worse than my S5!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

For those in a Nexus 6, if you still haven't received the 7.0 update yet you can force it by opting into the beta program

https://www.google.com/android/beta

Installing the update, then unenrolling. It says you'll need to wipe your user data, but I just did it and no wipe needed. I presume since it installed the release version and not a beta.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan_Shore posted:

That's worse than my S5!

:siren: something worse than a Samsung phone

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there a strong reason to buy it from Google Fi and pay sales tax over buying it from Newegg? Difference in warranty or service or whatever?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Syrinxx posted:

If only I had a second hand to go along with the first one

*phablet rings, drops ttwo bag of groceries on the floor frantically scrabbling at the 5 square inch answer button, mash phablet on face*

Edit: "i like the Big phone because it shows im high status,, and also my eyesight's not good enough for the normal one. Tor emy jeans pocket out with my Nexus 6p yesterday"

Edit: accidentally left my phone in my back pocket and sat down on the couch and slid off, injuring my tailbone

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 5, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I said I have a Moto :downs: How bad is the battery life?

Some of the newer Moto phones look OK but they apparently hate phones for normal-sized hands.

I didn't install anything crazy on the 5x either but I had it for like a week and was getting maybe 1.5 hours SOT while listening to podcasts on Bluetooth for at most 3 hours a day and 9 hours total until it was on 25%. Always on wifi at work and home. It was on Nougat. Maybe I got a lovely one, I don't know.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oneplus 3 seems to a reasonable choice if you need a new'ish phone. My Note from 2011 is reaaallly old so I guess I'll just get OPO3. No point buying Nexus phones anymore since that line is dead too now :rip:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^one plus is garbage.

I want to buy a pixel since I buy a new phone every year but it doesnt really seem better than my 6p?

Last year I didn't buy a phone was pre-iphone 3g.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pixel is priced exactly where it sits it the market. Lol if you haven't yet worked out the big price jump is from Google stopping subsidising it.

I'm still happy with my year old Z5c otherwise I'd be buying one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

^one plus is garbage.

I want to buy a pixel since I buy a new phone every year but it doesnt really seem better than my 6p?

Last year I didn't buy a phone was pre-iphone 3g.

Time to find out how gargabe OPO is. I have a samsung phone and a samsung tablet and can't wait to get rid both of them. 5x doesn't have enough memory, 6P is more expensive and I'm not touching any more samsung products. New phones are too expensive and old phone won't get new software.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok why otterbox uses some hot garbage address "validation" thingy in their webpage?. Tried to order their case which doubles my new phone's weight and size, but the webpage keeps saying my valid address is invalid. How can some crappy piece of webapp know better which street address is valid and which is not?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 5x camera is pretty amazing for a non photography die-hard. No complaints, we used it for all our vacation photos this time around, had several people on Facebook ask what kind of camera it is.

Battery life is average? I bought an Amazon brand 10,000mah battery pack from Amazon for $20 and leave it in my commuter bag, and use it to top off my phone on very long days.

The only thing my 5x doesn't do is Daydream. I'm pretty disappointed with the feature set of the Pixel for the price, going to sit on my 5x another 6 months and see what happens with daydream capable phones.

I got the white model, the white paint on the back is starting to rub off on the corners after 9 months, is my only complaint.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

just don't buy a new phone ? what are you doing that necessitates a new phone every 12 months?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Add me to the list of 6P owners who'll be keeping it.

Honestly nothing wowed me this year that I just had to have it over the 6P and I doubt that will change over the next few years. I probably won't be buying another phone until the battery goes to poo poo or I drop and smash it.

Smartphone features pateaued awhile ago. The only thing left are gimmicks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The Pixel will be available at Best Buy, right? Wonder how the warranty/repair will work. The play store is fantastic for that, so hopefully it will carry over. I can get a discount at Best Buy, so I'd rather buy it there.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

ilkhan posted:

B&H is well known and super reputable. Don't worry about them at all. Mostly photo gear, which costs a hell of a lot more than a phone.

Thanks for confirming their reputability everyone, really appreciate it. Now to order some phones! Was thinking of getting a 6p for myself and a 5x for my wife so now I think I'll do that!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

well why not posted:

just don't buy a new phone ? what are you doing that necessitates a new phone every 12 months?

I think you've somehow stumbled into the wrong thread, friend. This one is for people making dumb decisions about Android phones.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So am I correct in thinking that Daydream VR and Google Assistant are the two big new things that the Pixel brings to the table? (For certain values of "big new things," of course.)

And I guess a nice camera but every phone claims to have a nice camera.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man, the phone industry have done a top-notch job of convincing everyone that they NEED a new phone EVERY YEAR

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Pixel will be available at Best Buy, right? Wonder how the warranty/repair will work. The play store is fantastic for that, so hopefully it will carry over. I can get a discount at Best Buy, so I'd rather buy it there.

Best Buy will also give you a $100 gift card and a free chromecast when you buy a Pixel from them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

Best Buy will also give you a $100 gift card and a free chromecast when you buy a Pixel from them.

If I didn't already have something like 4 chromecasts, that almost makes a $650 Pixel worth it. $520 after gift card and chromecast. I think that would still be a bit too much for me.

E: nevermind, Verizon required.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also I'd have to do business with Best Buy.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is the VR headset code offer still available, or all gone? I can probably email them to get it added to my order, yeah?

Never mind, I see they'll just email a code in a few weeks.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 5, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm having an issue with stuttering on my Xperia Z5. It seems that it will sometimes momentarily freeze then continue. This is most noticeable when listening to podcasts (where there will be a brief moment of silence) or using a countdown timer (where it will pause on a number before advancing).

Could there be an app running in the background that causes this and, if so, how would I go about identifying it? I wonder if it's something doing updates but sometimes the pauses are every 30 seconds or so, sometimes they don't happen at all.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
MXP still the greatest phone.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tsyni posted:

MXP still the greatest phone.

My dream phone is basically just my mxp but with better memory management and a bit better battery life, but charging like 30% in fifteen minutes makes the second one way more tolerable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Well, the 5x and 6p likely only have one major update left in them anyways.

Otherwise, Nexus line is dead. There aren't going to be any more so you don't have to worry about them being neglected in the long term.
What I mean are the delayed updates to begin with. Why does there have to be a delay until end of the year for a system image with less features than what they're going to ship very soon? That's just rear end in a top hat-ish, especially because their direct competitor doesn't do that poo poo.

That there's a dead-end eventually, I'm aware about that. I'd expect to have a new phone by this time.

Hadlock posted:

I got the white model, the white paint on the back is starting to rub off on the corners after 9 months, is my only complaint.
I have dirt particles getting locked into pores or some poo poo. Its back has grey clouds that I can't really get rid of. Shoulda gotten the black one.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

yeah but verizon only. Wonder of they'l have the unlocked at BB?