Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

DrTempest posted:

Episode 53: The Stupid Way and Episode 54: The Smart Way now up!

I swear, this had us tripped up longer than it should have. Ah, well. Enjoy!
I'd already poked around that alcove at the bottom of Earthen Peak, which is why that body against the grate had no item (an Estus Flask Shard), and why the room is missing...something. Specifically, Lucatiel is supposed to show up there on Scholar until you complete her monologue. (You can meet her in a number of locations, and in each case her monologue changes depending on how many times you've spoken to her before.) So here's what you missed:

Lucatiel of Mirrah posted:

Still on the road, are you? Sorry to have burdened you so. This is for you, by way of an apology. [Gives Ring of Steel Protection +1]

I've found my thoughts growing hazy. My memories are fading, oldest first. The curse is doing its work upon me. I am frightened…Terribly so… If everything should fade…What will be left of me…

I had an older brother. We learned to fence together. He became the most decorated swordsman in all of Mirrah. I never even compared to him. In fact, I never beat him, not once. But then, one day…he was gone, lost without a trace. Now I'm certain. That he was taken, by the curse.

If only someone would hear my tale… My brother must have come here, too. Soon, I may forget even about him…
And obviously she's not doing too well with being churned up by the bardo that is Dark Souls undeath.

But regardless, good job on figuring out how to deal with the poison water on your own! Most people either got spoiled on it or were coaxed via pantomime into lighting the windmill; I know I was. (It is technically viable to kill Mytha without bringing down the poison water, but it requires either extreme aggression with a few summoned buddies or outright immunity to poison.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icecapades_mob
Mar 4, 2015
Congratulations on figuring out the windmill, I had to look it up because I was stuck there for a long time. Since it has been a while and you don't have a reason for returning I will mention some quick backtracking stuff you can possibly do. There was an NPC, in the shaded ruins, who you found but weren't previously able to communicate with and now you have the item for it. Also if I remember correctly there was a locked door in the shaded ruins you haven't unlocked that leads to the other boss soul NPC .

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

DrTempest posted:

Episode 53: The Stupid Way and Episode 54: The Smart Way now up!

I swear, this had us tripped up longer than it should have. Ah, well. Enjoy!
Not really, this is legitimately the worst "puzzle" in the whole series.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Next time you go visit Straid, take a careful look at the Dragonrider Bow. It's slightly unique in a few ways.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Myself, I had heard about burning the windmill before, but had no idea where the trigger area was or even looked like until a friendly phantom pointed it out. The little ramp up to the main shaft does seem like a significant level geometry oddity, but the main shaft itself having the appearance of stone or rough metal causes a lot of people to dismiss it, and then react with "that's not supposed to be flammable" once they see it happen or hear about it. But then again, a moving part like that is probably lubricated? I want to say that the grave warden guarding it is a Scholar addition to further emphasize that yes, this one spot is important. Not the greatest setup.

If it's a greatsword and dagger setup you want, though... any plans on doing DS3?

Archenteron posted:

Next time you go visit Straid, take a careful look at the Dragonrider Bow. It's slightly unique in a few ways.
I think he's got boss spells too? I don't remember what's in there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's also a summonable NPC near that bonfire who will run to the windmill and point at it that was added in Scholar.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

If it's a greatsword and dagger setup you want, though... any plans on doing DS3?

We'll probably do that after all the DLC hits and the ultimate whatever edition is released.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Episode 55: The Easy Way and Episode 56: Try Hitting It now up!

We're slowly reverting back to DS1 styles.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"slowly"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:airquote:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I hope you also do Bloodborne after this, as that's bound to be something really great with the both of you working together. So you have found Ornifex, her home is in the area after the Shaded Ruins. Which means she's in the Brightstone Cove Tseldora somewhere, it's also important because she's a blacksmith of sorts.

Also the wordplay from Tark is so bad, his master will seethe for all eternity because his master is Seath. Also he's a summon for Scorpioness Najka, who is his wife and has been driven mad from her own monstrous form. This is probably the most obvious hint of where the Great Souls come from that you're embracing, except something in NG+3 or something.

You didn't get to see it but this version of Ornstein has shadowy abyss magic powers like Artorius does when you find him in the Dark Souls 1 DLC. Also all the Great weapons can be manually aimed like the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, but this is actually meant to be useful. If you swing you can change direction mid-swing to catch people trying to roll past you.

Magerold allows you to decrease the statistic requirements for spells. Skeptic Spice means they require one less faith, and Simpleton's one less intelligence.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Nietzschean seemed... particularly crunk that episode

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Straid's the legendary super sorcerer who figured out a whole hell of a lot more about what's going on than most people, and because of this was turned against and time-displaced. It's now many historical cycles later, he's basically been forgotten, everything's changed but at the same time not really, and the first person with the presence of mind to try unpetrifying him is an undead on yet another one of those vaguely defined quests to break the curse, but Straid knows better. What else is there to do but laugh at the sheer absurdity of it all, but especially at this bearer of the curse who keeps coming back to look at his stuff. And you know what? Why not add another to the pile of ridiculousness by making the bearer of the curse his first ever apprentice?

As for what the Agape Ring does and why, you'll want to look into the Soul Memory stat.

Archenteron posted:

If at any point he drops the name Smith & Cross we'll know he's gone full pirate.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 57: Nothing to See Here, Move Along and Episode 58: Nietzschean Goes Crunk now up!

I hate lizards like Nietzschean hates sobriety. Enjoy!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archenteron posted:

:cheers:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You actually took on the flame salamanders in melee. You brave, foolhardy souls. :stare::hf::golfclap: (Once you've picked up the Heavy Iron Key and one more thing up top you've got all the meaningful loot.) But in any case that area and the first section of the Iron Keep are made quite a bit less tricky with a bow to either wear down or pull enemies.

That invader, Lahziel, is almost certainly a PvP twink. In particular that bow can't be obtained until the end of the game, and their armor is from a DLC area. I'm guessing they ran through much of the game wearing the Agape Ring and leaned heavily on a few high stats like Adaptability to wear bosses down.

I'm a fan of the Alonne Knight set which you've seen here. Recently I decided to do a Punchwitch run, focusing exclusively on fists and fist weapons. The primary quirk is that your range is very short (and thus that backstabs are even more important), but I persevered through the run and posted a shot elsewhere in IK while wearing that armor.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

If only this thread was bigger, you could've gotten a wave of Tomiss replica invaders after announcing your realization that your weakness is large things which jump on you.

Ninja knights outmaneuvering roman rogue repeatedly was wonderful.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Not sure why nobody has mentioned this, but do you guys want to know why you haven't been able to successfully initiate any co-op/PvP of your own choosing (aside from the duel) so far?

In Dark Souls 1, summons and invasions only worked when there was a boss alive in the area. Specifically the fog door to the boss, since I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in New Londo until you drain it and can actually get to the boss. In Dark Souls 2, I think they wanted to allow PvP to continue, so when you defeat the boss of an area it wouldn't do that. And I guess people subsequently got wrecked by invaders when they just wanted to grind/farm/explore after killing the boss.

So, in the grand Dark Souls 2 tradition of only managing to fix something poorly implemented and obvious from the start by adding stuff in or moving things around rather than changing anything significant, the game automatically burns a human effigy when you defeat a boss, which disables all online interactions (except messages and ghosts? Not sure) for 30 minutes, or maybe it was 60, I don't know. You'll notice when you rest at bonfires in areas you're familiar with that you have the option to nullify the effect of a human effigy.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 59: Kninjas! and Episode 60: Do It Again! Do It Again! now up!

Watch us be spectacularly bad at fighting stuff in Iron Keep.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Oh, the greeeeeed getting to you at the end of 59.

Look at your health bar to see what the Pharros fountain does. Fortunately, this one doesn't get contaminated by the local environment's liquids the way the Earthen Peak one does.
Fountains and water pots also have a soaking effect, similar to poison and oil. Fortunately, this does not fill some sort of bizarre drowning on land meter.

Indeed, you've never had Ironclad Leggings before. You had Old Ironclad Leggings.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Keep is an invasion hotspot, yes, but mostly consensual PvP, meaning anyone you invaded who isn't halfway through the castle is probably both waiting for you and geared up to wreck your poo poo :getin:

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 61: We Live! and Episode 62: E-Quality Builds now up!

Iron Keep was a grand ol' time, once we got past the furnace room.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So close, yet so far, so many times. I appreciate the thought process that starts from "we have several areas we're passing by and not exploring, we should remedy that" and ends up at "let's look in all the places we have already explored for secrets" though.

Unless it has an earlier usage, the term "quality build" originated in Demon's Souls, where weapons could be upgraded along the Quality path, giving equal, if not as good, scaling in both dexterity and strength.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

frozentreasure posted:

I appreciate the thought process that starts from "we have several areas we're passing by and not exploring, we should remedy that" and ends up at "let's look in all the places we have already explored for secrets" though.
Not to mention the brief detour to "Where are the bonfires?!"

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmm.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Exploration rewards the player but it isn't an absolute necessity. They're more than welcome to stick to the main path and make it hard on themselves. That is, when they find the main path (much like how they've clearly lost the path in Brightstone Cove Tseldora).

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 1, 2016

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
by the way, the lockstone plates that you Don't Get are the same as those pots filled with water that y'all probably don't really get a purpose for either: they wet you. Being wet is a property in this game and it has effects.

You eventually dry off. You can tell the coloration on your character. Much like the poison slowly drips down your body, water is a darker line that drops slowly.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 63: Double Boss Rush! and Episode 64: The Pursuit of Hap-YOU DIED now up!

So, on the topic of exploration, we'll be going back to a couple places we didn't really explore in about 10 episodes. I've been playing on another character without going farther than we've already got on here and WOW we missed a lot of obvious stuff.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DrTempest posted:

Episode 63: Double Boss Rush! and Episode 64: The Pursuit of Hap-YOU DIED now up!

So, on the topic of exploration, we'll be going back to a couple places we didn't really explore in about 10 episodes. I've been playing on another character without going farther than we've already got on here and WOW we missed a lot of obvious stuff.

Everyone rolls into that hole in the platform, don't be too embarrassed.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Tarezax posted:

Everyone rolls into that hole in the platform, don't be too embarrassed.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I have been looking forward to that Pursuer encounter ever since you stepped foot in this area.

Also I prefer the Souls 1 jump for some reason.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Willfully ignore a fog door, get to and die once to the area end boss, then grab all the NPCs and bumble back to the midboss which you one shot.

I'm hollerin, please don't stop

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I'm real sad that they turned tail and fled that fog door at the top of the lift, past the old iron king.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So the this message is being channeled from very far away is for a very specific multiplayer mechanic, although what that mechanic is probably won't really matter.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Fish Noise posted:

I have been looking forward to that Pursuer encounter ever since you stepped foot in this area.

Also I prefer the Souls 1 jump for some reason.
:same: on both counts. The preference for the DS1 jump probably comes from it being so ingrained from so much time spent playing with it.

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm real sad that they turned tail and fled that fog door at the top of the lift, past the old iron king.
Again, :same:

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

We go into this area very soon, by episode 70! And oh god, fun times are ahead...

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 65: Midget: Single. and Episode 66: Poison Bullet Hell now up!

So next update cycle is a bit odd. Episode 68 got lost in the laundry, but we didn't really... do anything. Also, the opening post is updated with all episodes listed there again, because :effort:.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You were wondering about how that guy climbed fast... Have you tried pressing the button that makes you go fast while climbing? :v:

There's not really anything in Belfry Sol except an illusory door with some items that you ran past and a rarely spawning enemy that drops rare equipment and whom you can use to farm the bell covenant rewards offline.

You monsters killed the poor bug :( The gas she spews heals poison but it's slightly corrosive, and that's all she does.

Also yes I really hope you thought of doing something to the red fire things

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Nietzschean sounds... different. Sober, even.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Oh yeah, updates! Sorry, been stuck on a boss and hating this game.

Episode 67: Drangleic Castle, Finally!

Episode 68 is missing, but we didn't really DO a whole lot. We ended up walking into the DLC area in Shrine of Winter, noticed it was foggy like in Shaded Woods and Noped the gently caress out of there. I think we started Brume's Tower, got the Dex Ring and did a few preliminary deaths. Nothing too exciting or important.

Episode 69: Right Up There
Episode 70: Oh, THIS Place

Episodes are back on track, at least for now! Sorry about the delay, guys.
Back to this game's 4 hour+ boss attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nietzschean really sounds like a different person lol

DrTempest posted:

Back to this game's 4 hour+ boss attempt.

If it's FK you're talking about he's one of the hardest bosses in the game, so you might want to save him for later

• Locked thread