Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

kedo posted:

Yeah I'm not that paranoid about it, I just don't know much about how fermentation in food works besides "let it go a little bad, but not too much." If you have a recipe I'd love to see it.

At some point, you have to trust your nose. I've done a fair amount of fermenting over the last few years, and the food has gone bad a handful of times, maybe 4 times out of 200-300 or so. Just smell it, and you'll know. If it smells like it's supposed to, you are all good. Otherwise, toss it.

I smell every jar of pickles/preserves that I open. Hell, I smell everything before I put it in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

I smell every jar of pickles/preserves that I open. Hell, I smell everything before I put it in my mouth.

Phrasing? Unless you really want someone to link that Riskay song.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should probably smell dick before putting it in your mouth too

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should probably smell dick before putting it in your mouth too
And a yeasty fermenting smell is probably not what you're after.

kedo posted:

Yeah I'm not that paranoid about it, I just don't know much about how fermentation in food works besides "let it go a little bad, but not too much." If you have a recipe I'd love to see it.
For a fermented pepper sauce? I posted about general technique a couple pages back. We can get into more detail if you want/need it, but it's pretty simple stuff. You use a brine/salt the raw veg. This is to retard the growth of...well, pretty much everything. But lactobacilli will still germinate in conditions that are too saline for most other foodborne pathogens. It's a numbers game so it's not infallible---sometimes you'll just happen to have a lot of something else and not enough lactobacilli and so you'll get sludge anyway. But most of the time the lactobacilli will go to town. And as they metabolise sugar out of the veg, they're making GBS threads acid. And again lactobacilli tolerate this better than most other foodborne pathogens, so they'll keep this up until the pickling solution is acidic enough that nothing else, in terms of foodborne pathogens, is going to grow in there.

And as long as that's happening, the chances of anything else happening that'll make you sick are almost zero. So: salt to start, then make sure you've got active fermentation. If you got that, everything else is just tweaking.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I also have a question about things going bad, tahini in my case. I made some hummus and ate a bunch of it and found it a bit bitter so I searched and apparently bitter tahini is a sign that it's gone rancid. Is this bad? I had a bad bout of food poisoning last week and really don't want to go through that again...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Most food doesn't cost enough money to bother taking that risk. If you made something with it that was weird and then got sick just chuck it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rancidity is a taste issue and not a safety issue. Still, you should throw it out because it's disgusting

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Ok I'll do that thanks. I'm sad about my disgusting hummus but I'll just make more tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Weird open-ended question- what do you all make for breakfast during the week? I'm sick of eating the same one or two things every morning before work but also want to eat something healthier and not just cop out with a bagel every day. A couple of good breakfast recipes that can be cooked while half-awake would be much appreciated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Coffee and existential dread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

I also have a question about things going bad, tahini in my case. I made some hummus and ate a bunch of it and found it a bit bitter so I searched and apparently bitter tahini is a sign that it's gone rancid. Is this bad? I had a bad bout of food poisoning last week and really don't want to go through that again...
Tahini always tastes bitter, but if it tastes super bitter then maybe it's bad, yeah.

C-Euro posted:

Weird open-ended question- what do you all make for breakfast during the week? I'm sick of eating the same one or two things every morning before work but also want to eat something healthier and not just cop out with a bagel every day. A couple of good breakfast recipes that can be cooked while half-awake would be much appreciated.
Steel-cut oatmeal, breakfast potatoes, and granola with almond milk or soy milk or whatever are three of my go-to breakfasts. To make steel-cut oatmeal, boil 1 part oatmeal and 4 parts water for a minute before you go to bed, then next morning either microwave it or heat it on the stove, stirring a bit. Add whatever you want: lately I've been adding turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, maple syrup, and chopped dates. For breakfast potatoes, chop up some potatoes, microwave them until they're cooked a bit but nowhere near soft, then cook them in a cast-iron pan with some oil, stirring sometimes, until they are crispy. I add salt, pepper, and turmeric (you can tell I like turmeric). Granola's not the healthiest (it's better if you make it yourself) but it's also not awful I guess?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Serious suggestion, tamagoyaki. It's too involved to do in the morning but it keeps well in the fridge for days because of all the additions to the eggs, so you could make a bunch for later. Hard boiled eggs are another good morning option. A lot of Korean banchan are chilled and could be made in advance to shovel into your gob. I can't fathom sacrificing sleeping time to cook in the morning.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I make a batch of 8-10 breakfast burritos and freeze em. They are good but not really a great option if you want variety

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Make a quiche the night before, cut a chunk for breakfast. If you don't have time to pop it in the oven to warm up, nuke it for a bit, or even eat it cold. A single pan makes like 6 breakfasts, or 1 if you hate yourself and wash everything down with copious amounts of bleach.

Cheese and ham for protein, add spinach for fiber. Just make sure whatever you toss into the egg custard has as much liquid removed as possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cappuccino and a croissant

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Two slices of toast with butter and Vegemite. Also coffee. That gets you through the day.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I scramble two eggs by cracking them directly into the pan and breaking the yolks and mixing them around with a spatula, add a pinch of salt. When they're about done throw in a big pinch of shredded cheese. While you're doing this, char two small tortillas in a dry pan. Put eggs in tortillas, top with a tablespoon of hot salsa each. That and my homemade cold brew coffee are what get me through most days.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
A bowl of cocopops and two apples, because I am an enormous man child who never grew up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I throw some oil in a small skillet and toss some mushrooms in, after about a minute or two I throw in some ham and let that cook for another minute or two. While thats going on I scramble some eggs then pour it directly onto the mushrooms and ham and let that cook for a bit until its read to flip. Caveat, I never successfully flipped this so its just some complicated method of scrambled egg so it generally gets tossed into a tortilla with some cheese.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

C-Euro posted:

A bagel doesn't have to be a cop-out, spread labneh instead of cream cheese and put some tomato slices on it.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

C-Euro posted:

Warmer months:
toast/bagel/crispbread with sliced hardboiled eggs and gentle lashings of Kalles.
Toast/bagel with smashed avocados/olive oil/salt/pepper/chilli flakes/etc

Colder months:
Oatmeal (Steel cut oats ftw, they freeze great too) and a big gently caress off mug filled with hot milo.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Breakfast at 07:00 sharp:
3 to 5 black coffee

Lunch at 12:00 sharp:
two cheese sandwiches (made with whole-wheat bread) and some vegetables and/or nuts to snack on.

I do this every weekday and it isn't boring to me at all.
(I'm just glad I don't have to think about what to prepare for lunch, so I can make this stuff while I'm waking up with coffee)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

waffles, you can make the batter before and it'll keep for two days.

bagel sandwiches are the best thoguh

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Grand Fromage posted:

Coffee and existential dread.

hello there :wink:

take sauce-pan
put some oil in sauce-pan
put sauce pan on medium heat
crack egg into sauce pan
cover sauce pan

wait 5-10 minutes according to preference
put egg on toast
eat egg on toast

alternatively you could also do stuff like a layered granola/yogurt/fresh fruit/honey bowl (which takes all of 5 minutes to prep and tastes delicious and is healthy)

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I typically make smoothies. You can make two at a time the night before. My recipe is:
1+ cup of plain greek yogurt
A banana
2 or 3 handfuls of spinach or kale (probably a little less if you don't want to taste it at all)
2 handfuls of whatever fruit you have around. I usually use frozen fruit and mix cherries and peaches or peaches and mango.
Enough milk to make it blend.

That makes 2 mason jars, sometimes a little more.

You can also put fruit in jars or containers and then top them with yogurt. If you only want to dirty your blender once, do this:
1) Put fruit A in blender. Blend. Put most of it into a jar or two
2) Put fruit B, which tastes good with fruit A, in blender. Blend. Put it into another jar or two.
3)Top both with yogurt.
4) Make smoothie.

Now you have smoothies and snacks!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Eggs and rice is my staple. Leftover rice gets microwaved along with whatever I have for leftovers that seems appropriate, stir fry veggies, meat, whatever. Cool eggs over easy and serve over the rice with soy sauce. With Kim Chee if I don't have to talk with anyone first thing in the morning.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend makes me overnight oats in a mason jar that I heat in the microwave in the morning. Standard oats, almond milk to cover, add fresh fruit, maybe some honey or brown sugar. Refrigerate overnight.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Eggs and rice is my staple. Leftover rice gets microwaved along with whatever I have for leftovers that seems appropriate, stir fry veggies, meat, whatever. Cool eggs over easy and serve over the rice with soy sauce. With Kim Chee if I don't have to talk with anyone first thing in the morning.

Better to fry the rice. It makes the starches in the rice break down more slowly, which is (counter-intuitively) healthier than eating plain rice.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Lawnie posted:

My girlfriend makes me overnight oats in a mason jar that I heat in the microwave in the morning. Standard oats, almond milk to cover, add fresh fruit, maybe some honey or brown sugar. Refrigerate overnight.

This is also good. If you make a bunch you can also put different toppings in little plastic baggies and keep them around. I make the overnight oats totally plain and then I can pick whatever spice/toppings mix I want in the morning.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Steel cut oats have been mentioned, but give savory oats a shot. Steel cut oats, sea salt, pepper, and parmesan is a good option. You can fry an egg to put on top as well. Makes a really nice change from sweet oats.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Peanut butter and cinnamon work well too.

I had asked about this earlier this year, but I finally found the restaurant's actual description for the dish, and I want to make it for my wife and I's anniversary. It's a lasagna with "housemade sausage, pan Marzano tomoatoes, pecorino, mozzarella, ricotta, bescimella (bechamel?), and basil. Is there a good recipe out there for something similar that I can modify to fit? There's no bolognese sauce involved on this one.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 6, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Try using this as a starting point, as it seems to hit all of the basic ingredients listed.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Anyone got a recipe for old school fruitcake? Everywhere I look has 'improved' or 'lighter' fruitcakes and gently caress that poo poo, I want the nine pound fruitcake that has eleven different colors of neon dried fruit, takes half an hour to chew, and is loving GLORIOUS if you remember to spritz it with a little booze once in a while. Gimme the rudest, densest, ingot-est fruitcake recipe you got.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the suggestions breakfast goons, I've done a couple of those in the past but I'm horribly uncreative so it's nice hearing other people's takes.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't fathom sacrificing sleeping time to cook in the morning.

I like having a long time to wake up in the morning before work (ideally up at 7, leave at 8) so I figure I might as well make something good in that time, especially since I get pretty hungry by lunch.

hogmartin posted:

A bagel doesn't have to be a cop-out, spread labneh instead of cream cheese and put some tomato slices on it.

For a while they were my "running late, this can cook while I do other morning prep" breakfast but then I just started having them every day and I don't really need the carbs that early in the morning, given that I sit all day at work.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PopeCrunch posted:

Anyone got a recipe for old school fruitcake? Everywhere I look has 'improved' or 'lighter' fruitcakes and gently caress that poo poo, I want the nine pound fruitcake that has eleven different colors of neon dried fruit, takes half an hour to chew, and is loving GLORIOUS if you remember to spritz it with a little booze once in a while. Gimme the rudest, densest, ingot-est fruitcake recipe you got.

I'm afraid I haven't seen any, but I will link this recipe for a traditional 19th century fruitcake in the meantime.

Edit: This recipe looks disturbingly but appropriately dense for a start.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 7, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PopeCrunch posted:

Make this Bad Boy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/traditional_wedding_cake_68531

9 pounds of dried fruit, 2 pounds of butter, 2 pounds of sugar, 25 eggs, 15 pounds of icing, and 7 pounds of marzipan. You could probably lose a whole bottle of brandy in that thing and not notice.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 7, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know if you'd never poo poo again or never stop making GBS threads.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I mean don't get me wrong, I love fruitcake, but I'm not sure I want to marry it, and that is literally a wedding cake. The paradise one looks legit though, I'll give it a try and report back. DELICIOUS BUILDING MATERIAL

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PopeCrunch posted:

desperately in need of a doorstop, are we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PopeCrunch posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, I love fruitcake, but I'm not sure I want to marry it, and that is literally a wedding cake. The paradise one looks legit though, I'll give it a try and report back. DELICIOUS BUILDING MATERIAL

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were hardcore :colbert:

Seriously though, if you were to follow the recipe for one of the single tiers, you'd end up with a pretty good fruitcake. The whole serving 100 people, then getting married thing was just the next logical step after that.