Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

CommaToes posted:

Ok I haven't been following this strip but I have been catching glimpses of it throughout. Was Forehead trying to set her brother up with Lu Ann because of some ridiculous fantasy she had and is now mad because reality doesn't match her imagination?

I remember her (or was it another woman in the strip?) going on about how only The Perfect Woman could ever have her brother. It was more than a bit bizarre and creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CommaToes posted:

Ok I haven't been following this strip but I have been catching glimpses of it throughout. Was Forehead trying to set her brother up with Lu Ann because of some ridiculous fantasy she had and is now mad because reality doesn't match her imagination?
Yeah, she even said something to the effect of only a pure virginal nun was good enough for her brother. Luann, being a widowed woman of sin, is no good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Pearls would be the laziest strip in this thread if Working Daze was not a thing, and I kind of hate it now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
One could argue the difference between laziness and pandering, but I think we can all agree that Guy Gilchrist Sucks and Must Be Destroyed.

And to think that Ivan Brunetti almost got that gig.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen it in this thread but Shoe is the laziest comic strip. Every time I see a Shoe strip it's always an old joke or pun I've heard before. The characters are irrelevant and it could just be the joke written without needing to be a comic. Even the bad comics like working daze at least have the characters make jokes based on who their characters are and it's not an old generic joke every time

was Shoe ever better like maybe when the original guy was writing it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bimmi posted:

One could argue the difference between laziness and pandering, but I think we can all agree that Guy Gilchrist Sucks and Must Be Destroyed.

We can slice it up as fine as you like but I agree with your but.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shoe was not-terrible about a million years ago but calling it "good" would be a bit of a stretch, plus it begat Pluggers so that's a huge strike against it right there.

At least it's well-drawn, which is true of depressingly few comics anymore.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I haven't seen it in this thread but Shoe is the laziest comic strip. Every time I see a Shoe strip it's always an old joke or pun I've heard before. The characters are irrelevant and it could just be the joke written without needing to be a comic. Even the bad comics like working daze at least have the characters make jokes based on who their characters are and it's not an old generic joke every time

was Shoe ever better like maybe when the original guy was writing it

Jeff MacNelly was a pretty good cartoonist, but Shoe has never been anything more than the blandest of middlebrow humor.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Wesley's really got a pretty good attitude about all this. "Eh, maybe she liked me, maybe not. Whatever. The letters were nice, but it was really just the one date."

Wesley's pretty cool. But boy is his sister an icky little creep.

CommaToes posted:

That's exactly it!

She thought Lu Ann would be perfect until she found out that Lu Ann is a widow. Naturally, the perfect woman for her brother has never had her hymen torn asunder by the penis of a man been in love.

Luann

Oh, look. It's the shop clerk from Cathy. We're doing that, I guess.

The Amazing Spider-Man

I love you, yellow narration box.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

This is so stupid. Eve, you are being so stupid.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Sorry for the delay - family was in town. To make up for it, have the same drat comics I post all the time!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (September, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (September, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

Richard’s Poor Almanac

Dick Tracy (July 2009)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I dunno, they're both strange, but not too horrendously so, Faye. I'm sure they'd be perfectly fine and not at all single in their 30s like me.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Faye is such a good friend. :unsmith:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

CommaToes posted:

I wish that was the plot of Luann. Sadly, they're dress shopping for the blonde thing with tiny eyes that's banging Luann's brother. Why are there so many characters in this strip with tiny eyes? The style kinda clashes with all the older characters.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...And all of a sudden I'm glad I started referring to the job titles with simple single syllable words rather than literal translations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't have carryover days.

Working Daze named the baby? I guess?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows what you want.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I want to say original Shoe was mostly mediocre, but for three months out of the year the "joke" was that Skyler the kid bird accidentally goes to a boot camp instead of a summer camp. So I say Shoe always sucked and it may actually be better now.

I have to leave, Inspector Brit is coming on.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze named the baby? I guess?

Name her Vader, because she's trying to force choke all of you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I can't even imagine a situation in the real world where a bridesmaid has designed her own dress - and done it BEFORE the actual bride has selected her own dress - and is now saying the bride's dress must match hers.

That has to rank at least a 9.5 in being loving rude.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Huh, this was reasonably unexpected. Well played, The Phantom.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Between Shots

Ella Cinders

I Will Teach You To Become Rich (By Hunting Animals to Extinction)

did you never consider giving the money away

Myra North, Special Nurse

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

It looks like Alan managed to bore himself to sleep.

9 Chickweed Lane

Wahoo Terminal Pibgorn

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh.

There's a fuckload going on in Judge Parker and it's getting really messy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

This is so utterly insufferable.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BC

Why? What is the "old-fashioned way"?

Cul de Sac

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Invisible Bread

Kliban

Lockhorns

Office Hours

Pickles

Reply All

Shoe

Ziggy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
The grammar of that second panel confused me for a moment because I wasn't looking at the illustration and assumed that the carrots and yoghurt were also in the sandwich. And that actually sounds like a pretty decent sandwich, so he should have done that instead of eating them all separate like a weirdo.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Is the joke that that's way too much cumin?

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange
Don't bird knees go the same way as human knees? I though they were just like dog where if you don't look closely you can mistake their ankle for their knee (because they essentially walk on their toes).

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
That's not a hidden playroom, that's a cupboard. :colbert:

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma
What's with the white stuff leaking from Dharma's nose?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Dark Side of the Horse

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Ah-ca-ca-ca-ca-COCAINE!

(probably snot, if he has a cold)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiggum posted:

Semen

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Strontium posted:

I thing we found that one girl's actual mother, judging by the hair. Must have been an adoption thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought it was supposed to be a hijab. In a rare display of progressive spirit by one of those aggressively bland suburban WASP family strips, presumably, although I suppose it would clash with the cleavage.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

That's not how unicycles work!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

This is so stupid.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
Luann is the friend you invite along to dinner…
/The one who’s never been to this restaurant, before… the one with the “Garkon”, The “Mater D.J.”, and the “Val-it”. /And you keep muttering to yourself how you hope that they don’t see the Steak and Lobster Bisque on the menu…

quote:

Flash Gordon said, 1 day ago
I haven’t read the Cathy comic in years and suddenly there is the sales clerk from the Cathy comic. Wonder who else we’ll see. Working Daze has also featured guests the last few days including Dr. McCoy attending the birth of a baby girl to Kathy and Roy. Anyway, Luann should pull back and lighten up a bit. It’s Toni’s wedding, not hers.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Kid In A Suite Shop”……………“Kick Your Enthusiasm To The Curb”…….“May I Have This Exhuberance?”….“The Courtship, Lolipop” (♫), or…..“Never A Bridal Moment”…

quote:

Luann needs some parenting. As for the sales clerk, “Cathy” was the first thing I thought of when I saw her! I see I am not in alone. :D

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Hey. The Salesperson looks like Charlie Brown’s Mom.
Oh, Salesperson? Call Security. That Crazy Blonde Girl is NOT with These Two…..,

quote:

ć˛ said, about 10 hours ago
In response to the latest forum restrictions, I only have this to say until my character limit runs out: Ack!! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! aCk! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! aCk! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! aCk! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! aCk! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! aCk! Ack! ACK! ack! Ack! ACk! ACK! Ack! Ack! ACK! ack! Ac

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

Shoe

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
And now it's time for a dialog-less Asaekkiga!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

I'm off on vacation again! No guarantees on if I can post my usual comics.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

She was using a typewriter in 1996?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh good, now the power of their ~musical passion~ will awaken Grumpy Ching-Chong Parents' inner fuckbeast and we can have a happy ending where everyone agrees the Madonna/whore dichotomy is the best thing that ever happened to women :jerkbag:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

She was using a typewriter in 1996?

She's a reformed hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

• Locked thread