Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I caught the tail-end of tonight's Duterte speech and it's hard to pick out what's going to be the next headline:

- Telling Obama to go to hell. "I will never kneel down to America, do your worst"

- "You call me Hitler? Okay, fine, then I am Hitler"

- "I do not like elections because narcopolitics has set in", implying that campaigns of opponents will be funded by drug money

- Quadrupling down on giving pardons to policemen so that "they will not be afraid anymore". "Invoke your right to remain silent, and no Senator, no Congressman will ever get to question you. I will take care of it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Don't forget:

"My father was one of the two who stood by Marcos in his darkest hours. Everybody was shifting to the Liberal (Party)." I'm pretty sure "darkest hours" here refers to the EDSA revolution.

"You'd notice that extrajudicial killing was never an issue against me, not even during the debates." Completely untrue.

"Incessant use of shabu [meth] will shrink the brain, thus rehabilitation is not a viable option." Oh dear.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

I caught the tail-end of tonight's Duterte speech and it's hard to pick out what's going to be the next headline:

- Telling Obama to go to hell. "I will never kneel down to America, do your worst"

- "You call me Hitler? Okay, fine, then I am Hitler"

- "I do not like elections because narcopolitics has set in", implying that campaigns of opponents will be funded by drug money

- Quadrupling down on giving pardons to policemen so that "they will not be afraid anymore". "Invoke your right to remain silent, and no Senator, no Congressman will ever get to question you. I will take care of it"

Sorry about your crazy bastard president, Philippines.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It'd be the sweetest thing to have China give Duterte the cold shoulder in Beijing this month because they also don't want to antagonize the US, political rivalry be damned. That probably won't happen, though it's nice to imagine Duterte's breakdown then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Did anyone tell Duterte that comparing himself to Hitler, greatest slaughterer of Russians in history, when attempting to curry favour with Russia is probably not that great of an idea yet?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Eej posted:

Did anyone tell Duterte that comparing himself to Hitler, greatest slaughterer of Russians in history, when attempting to curry favour with Russia is probably not that great of an idea yet?

He's probably hoping to get half of Poland from Putin.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Eej posted:

Maybe if it was decades ago Russians would give a poo poo about that. Maybe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I love all the Catholic reactionaries who think murdering drug users is good, and that Duterte being responsible for police murder is just liberal lies at the same time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

toasterwarrior posted:

It'd be the sweetest thing to have China give Duterte the cold shoulder in Beijing this month because they also don't want to antagonize the US, political rivalry be damned. That probably won't happen, though it's nice to imagine Duterte's breakdown then.

This will only happen if Duterte insults Xi and all his ancestors within the week. Which, with this guy, is a distinct possibility.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lilljonas posted:

He's probably hoping to get half of Poland from Putin.

Jesus Christ, Polish-Filipino fusion cuisine. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://aje.io/26q8

Told Obama to go to hell. Twice. Then suggested he's going to Russia

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I personally cannot wait for Beijing to act receptive to Duterte, release statements about their admiration of his effective governance in reducing drug crime, etc. Followed by Duterte kicking out out US troops and requesting the navy stay out of Philippines water to avoid antagonising his new bestie Xi.

Followed by China suddenly claiming the Spratly's and every other disputed island on short order and explaining that disputes are ended there is now need for bilateral talks as they are perfectly happy with the situation.

Of course by that time it's possible Duterte will have been overthrown in a violent revolution after the death toll starts topping the high 10ks. And all patriotic Filipinos can talk about that no good rear end in a top hat sold them out China and how terrible noone could possibly have seen it coming.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Anyone keeping numbers on how many died so far? How bad is it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fizzil posted:

Anyone keeping numbers on how many died so far? How bad is it?

3,500 is the most recent number I've heard, but any figure is going to be questionable simply because there's no way to accurately attribute actual, sanctioned extra-judicial killings vs. one rear end in a top hat killing another and putting a sign on his chest saying "Drug Pusher"

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/145814-numbers-statistics-philippines-war-drugs

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Shooting Blanks posted:

3,500 is the most recent number I've heard, but any figure is going to be questionable simply because there's no way to accurately attribute actual, sanctioned extra-judicial killings vs. one rear end in a top hat killing another and putting a sign on his chest saying "Drug Pusher"

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/145814-numbers-statistics-philippines-war-drugs

The PNP came out after that announcement and revised their numbers down by several hundred. But offered absolutely no explanation of why. that should give you a good sense of how reliably anyone is able to track this

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

What is the level of PINOY PRIDE about tonight's US debate moderator

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

http://aje.io/26q8

Told Obama to go to hell. Twice. Then suggested he's going to Russia

MrNemo posted:

I personally cannot wait for Beijing to act receptive to Duterte, release statements about their admiration of his effective governance in reducing drug crime, etc. Followed by Duterte kicking out out US troops and requesting the navy stay out of Philippines water to avoid antagonising his new bestie Xi.

Followed by China suddenly claiming the Spratly's and every other disputed island on short order and explaining that disputes are ended there is now need for bilateral talks as they are perfectly happy with the situation.

Of course by that time it's possible Duterte will have been overthrown in a violent revolution after the death toll starts topping the high 10ks. And all patriotic Filipinos can talk about that no good rear end in a top hat sold them out China and how terrible noone could possibly have seen it coming.

wow, he is gonna get himself couped(and then probably murdered) now. It doesnt help that he wants to be Hitler and thinks human rights are bad. but now he biting uncle sams hand hard and if he keeps doing it, he is gooing to get a swat and by swat i mean two bullets in the head and his body dragged about the streets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
“Can't we just drone this guy?" - Hillary Clinton, on Rodrigo Duterte, probably

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If only we could have a mass murderer in charge who knows which country calls the shots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Washington Post ran a piece on a near-victim of an extra-judicial death squad that avoided death by playing dead.

Let's do a round-up of post-Obama-go-to-hell reactions:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/583870/news/nation/panelo-duterte-s-go-to-hell-comment-vs-obama-just-hyperbole

quote:

Chief presidential legal counsel Salvador Panelo on Wednesday dismissed as hyperbole the latest statement of President Rodrigo Duterte telling US President Barack Obama, a critic of his bloody war on drugs, to "go to hell."

"[That's just hyperbole. What he means is that the US to please stop meddling in our campaign against drugs. Go meddle in your own country,]" Panelo said on the sidelines of a media forum in Manila.

Panelo then turned the tables on the US, saying the world superpower could not feign ignorance of its own human rights violations.

"They keep on saying [that] we're violating human rights and yet [they themselves are violating the human rights of their own country. That's what the President's point was,]" he said.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/583893/news/nation/duterte-s-go-to-hell-versus-obama-just-an-expression-sotto-says

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III on Wednesday downplayed President Rodrigo Duterte’s “go to hell” remark against US President Barack Obama.

“[It's just an expression. Why would they take this seriously? It's not like Obama can actually go to hell, right?] He could have said go to heaven, [that's just an expression]. It shouldn't be taken too seriously,]” Sotto told reporters.

Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III, a close ally of Duterte, said the President’s comments against Obama, “may be his way or style of cutting the umbilical cord” with the United States.

“That’s the style of the President. [If you remember, during the campaign, you were also asking me if I was going to stop the President from continuing to talk this way? I said] let him be himself, he will be more effective,” Pimentel said. “[And look what happened, he won the election.]”

“Let him be because he will be more effective. He is not pretending to be someone else and then in due time, we all learn from our experiences, we all learn from our mistakes,” he added.

Pimentel said there would be “adjustments in due time” as the feedback of the public is also taken into account.

Senator Panfilo Lacson, for his part, said Duterte’s statement was “unnecessary.”

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/583884/news/nation/duterte-may-break-up-with-us-in-the-future-palace

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte might "break up" the Philippines' alliance with the United States in the future, Malacañang said on Wednesday.

Presidential spokesman Secretary Ernesto Abella, however, said there was still no move to end ties with the country's historic and strongest ally.

Asked to clarify the [President's] statement, presidential spokesman Secretary Ernesto Abella said: "That in the future he might make moves. In the present, there are no moves yet."

"But in the future, he might,"
Abella said.

Pressed to give a concrete answer if the statement really meant the Duterte administration would eventually cut ties with the United States, Abella said, "He said that he might. It is not a definite yes or a definite no.”

“The way he expresses himself, it is still that he wants an independent foreign policy. The breaking up may not necessarily be a breaking up of alliances in that way," Abella said.

"Going back, it is basically expressing an independent policy. That it is not exclusive, that it is inclusive, that we will not be held down by just one treaty, for example,” he added.

As the president’s statements are considered government policy, wouldn’t it be difficult to follow through on them if he made too many?

“It is impossible to quantify. [Look at it this way]. It becomes policy when there is official action,” Abella said.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/146195/white-house-smart-enough-to-know-what-duterte-means

quote:

The White House is “smart enough” to weigh on the verbal attacks of President Rodrigo Duterte against the United States, a businessman and economic expert said on Wednesday.

“It’s his manner of speaking, right? It’s his expressionism. He doesn’t mean for Obama to go to hell, right? It’s just the way he talks, right?” Peter Wallace told reporters in a Palace briefing.

“I’m not sure that the foreign community will ever be able to understand it but I think people in the US government will, right? I think the people in the White House are smart enough to know that what he’s saying is not what he intends,” he added.

Wallace, an Inquirer columnist, believes Duterte only wanted an “equal partnership” with its allies.

“I don’t see him as trying to divorce himself from America. That would make no sense, right? He’s just trying to establish an equal partnership and that’s a different thing,” he said.

The businessman said the public should not take Duterte’s words literally.

“The way he talks is not the way in which he thinks,” he said.

Wallace said the President only wanted to be “a truly independent country.”

“He’s trying I think to establish that the Philippines is a truly independent country. It is no longer a colony of the US. It is no longer subservient in any way to the US. It wants its independence and in a fairly dramatic way that he’s trying to put that across, right?” he said.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/10/05/1630605/palace-use-creative-imagination-interpret-duterte-remarks

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte's statement about cutting ties with the United States should not be taken literally, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said on Wednesday.

"[We should try to look into the meaning of the word] 'cut ng ties.' It's a possibility that he could, that he might... Let's try to use our creative imagination. [Let's not be too literal,]" Abella said in a televised press briefing.

Abella added that most of the president's statements are "expressions of frustration" and that the public should wait for him to clarify his comments on the matter. The president has, in the past, made controversial statements that have had to be clarified by his spokespersons.

The Palace official also said that Duterte's recent statement was made in a desire to "express the independence of the Philippines."

"He carefully calibrates his statements so along that line, if we follow his style... Let us not simply just put a period at the end of his statements. Let's wait for his clarifications regarding the matter," Abella said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think my favorite is "he can't literally go to hell so why are you mad"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Lol, what are Filipinos expecting to happen, honestly? It's one thing for the US to support a genocidal dictator, but it's quite another when the dictator keeps making GBS threads on the US for domestic consumption even when there is no need for it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I really am shocked by the amount of vitriol towards Duterte in this thread. He is the democratically elected leader of a western allied nation with high approval ratings. Fantasizing about assassinating such a leader is frankly pathetic. Duterte is certainly better than the set of career criminals his government replaced.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Flayer posted:

I really am shocked by the amount of vitriol towards Duterte in this thread. He is the democratically elected leader of a western allied nation with high approval ratings. Fantasizing about assassinating such a leader is frankly pathetic. Duterte is certainly better than the set of career criminals his government replaced.

You're shocked that people don't like a politician who is at the forefront of a campaign to kill anyone he thinks is a drug dealer or drug addict without a trial?

I actually only saw one person fantasizing about his assassination. But it's clear that the way to go about fixing a drug problem is not by leading a murder campaign.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Flayer posted:

Yes, it's so surprising that there is a dislike of a leader who is openly encouraging extrajudicial killings and has come out admiring Hitler, because he was democratically elected.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Duterte ran on a platform where he clearly and openly said he was going to kill drug dealers once elected and the people voted for him in huge numbers despite the fact that he is completely outside the normal political machinery of the country. Duterte is doing what he said he would and what the people of the Philippines voted him in to do. Calling him things like a dictator is just childish. If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is it childish to call him a dictator when one of the things he said in his campaign was literally "I am a dictator? Yes it is true. If you don’t like it then don’t vote for me," and post-campaign, "I will be a dictator against all bad guys, evil, I will do it even at the cost of my position or my life. I won’t stop. That’s a solemn commitment"?

That guy fantasizing about assassinating him is immature but I think it's unfair to say that we have a problem with democracy just because we have many, MANY problems with Duterte; do you think that we should never say anything negative about someone just because they were democratically elected?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Flayer posted:

Duterte ran on a platform where he clearly and openly said he was going to kill drug dealers once elected and the people voted for him in huge numbers despite the fact that he is completely outside the normal political machinery of the country. Duterte is doing what he said he would and what the people of the Philippines voted him in to do. Calling him things like a dictator is just childish. If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.

Just because he was democratically elected doesn't mean he is above critique.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Flayer posted:

Whining about assassination when assassination has become normalized also strikes me as a little weird in itself too, imo.

Now, I gotta say: Subject of post/Wyald AV is an insanely strong combo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Flayer posted:

people voted for him in huge numbers

Which still ended up being a plurality and not a majority vote. 16 million voted for him, which leaves another 28 million who didn't. If those 28 million feel he's imposing his will on them, wouldn't that still be considered dictatorship?

Flayer posted:

If you have a problem with Duterte you have a problem with democracy as an ideology.

My problem is with democracy as implemented in the Philippines, which results in morons like Pacquiao getting elected to the Senate despite an attendance record in Congress that would have high school stoners jealous.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Flayer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_March_1933

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I for one don't think that Duterte should necessarily be impeached, or coup'ed, or assassinated, or anything of the sort ... yet - the elections weren't cheated, and he won by a large margin. Trying to overturn that damages the democratic traditions of a country.

I've said so previously that the bar set to make Duterte's ouster, or any other President's, to be "worth it" is set very high. But that bar does exist.

If you knew for a fact that a country would end up looking like Syria 2016 at the rate that a world leader is going, then yeah, sure, that changes the calculus, but really the only reason we are talking about coups and impeachment and assassination is because even if you did have a crystal ball, and even if you did know that this person would have to be stopped, those are the only means by which to do so.

Like, when we talk about Donald Trump ascending to the White House, we sort of take it for granted that the world will end in nuclear fire because coup'ing America is completely unprecedented and would probably significantly damage, if not end, the world in and of itself anyway.

But you talk about a third-world country like the Philippines and suddenly you think you have options. Pol Pot got overthrown, Idi Amin got overthrown, Jean-Bedel Bokassa got overthrown, Ferdinand Marcos Sr. got overthrown, so there is historical precedent.

It's just that a lot of this talk, when it isn't purely wishful thinking (because let's face it, the country isn't going rise up against Duterte tomorrow), is really a game of chicken: it's easy to say that all those other previous dictators needed to be overthrown with the benefit of historical hindsight, but it's not so easy to do it in real-time. Because by the time you're sure he's a madman, it's often far too late anyway, but pull the trigger too early, and you're just reinforcing the image of the Philippines as a banana republic.

EDIT: I also think that "he promised to do this, now he's doing it, what are you complaining about?" to be a cop-out. If this was a referendum on "should we throw human rights out the window?", then Duterte lost 62 to 38.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 5, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Calling for the murder of the democratically elected leader of any country is in really poor taste. Unless you have evidence of a joint, or can write that he definitely did have a joint on a piece of cardboard, in which case it is basically part of his election platform.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 5, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As well, Duterte did not "exist outside the normal political machinery of the country":

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/06/09/duterte-top-campaign-donors.html

quote:

In his Statement of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE), Duterte said he received ₱375,009,474 in campaign contributions, while he spent ₱371,461,480.23.

Duterte's top donors included:

Davao City Second District Rep. Antonio Floirendo Jr., ₱75 million.
Businessmen Dennis Uy of Davao-based oil company Phoenix Petroleum,₱30 million
Samuel Uy of Davao Farms and Davao Import Distributors Inc.,₱30 million
Lorenzo Te of Honda Cars Davao, ₱30 million
Bienvenido Tan of San Antonio Village, ₱20 million
Tomas Alcantara of Alsons Consolidated Resources, ₱12 million
Nicasio Alcantara of Alsons Consolidated Resources, ₱16 million
Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, ₱72 million
Former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Francis Tolentino, ₱3 million
Finance Sec. Carlos Dominguez, ₱2.3 million
Executive Sec. Salvador Medialdea, ₱500,000
Volunteers Against Crime Corruption (VACC) Chairman Dante Jimenez, ₱30,000

That's 290.8 million, which means 77.55% of his total campaign contributions came from just twelve individuals.

He was absolutely bank-rolled by moneyed interests, and the social media campaign that raised his exposure across Facebook (as the main platform used by the Philippines) was, as Rappler exposed in the article I linked to earlier, astroturfed, as it had a 10 million peso cash kitty with which to fund itself.

And then there's also:

quote:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/167545/duterte-work-gma-only-adviser

This is a Philippine Star article from July 2002 about Duterte being tapped by President Macapagal-Arroyo as to head, then later advise, an anti-crime task force.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/politics/elections/2016/132485-duterte-cabinet-secretaries-wish-list
http://news.abs-cbn.com/halalan2016/nation/05/09/16/duterte-eyes-close-allies-ex-soldiers-in-cabinet

These are Rappler and ABS-CBN articles from the night of May 9 2016 where Duterte comments about wanting to bring on Hermogenes Esperon Jr. and Jesus Dureza into his cabinet.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/05/18/08/esperon-new-presidential-adviser-peace-process

This is an ABS-CBN article from May 2008 where Esperon is named as the new Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process on President Macapagal-Arroyo's cabinet. He was replacing Jesus Dureza.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/11/20/08/dureza-apologizes-prayer-faux-pas

Jesus Dureza himself also served as Macapagal-Arroyo's Press Secretary. This is an ABS-CBN article from Nov 2008 identifying him as such.

http://radyo.inquirer.net/30691/30691

This is an Inquirer article from the evening of May 11 where Duterte's camp where they confirm that they're eyeing Gilbert Teodoro to also have a seat in President-Elect Duterte's cabinet. Teodoro served as Macapagal-Arroyo's Defense Secretary.

I'd saved that from the first week of June, when Duterte was making his cabinet picks. Without going back through all of them now, it's very clear that every single one of Duterte's appointees are either members of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's political clique, or a personal friend (read: crony) of Duterte, or both.

So this administration is not so much a grassroots movement, as it is the re-capture of power by the same group that lost the election to Benigno Aquino in 2010.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The man is scum, but as much as I would like to see him get what's coming to him in the near future, I think it's more important for Filipinos to realize just what they have done by electing the man in the first place. I believe in the democratic process, and in both the good and evil inherent in it; going for the "easy" way out through killing the man undermines the lesson we ought to learn from voting strongarm populists into power, a lesson we clearly haven't learned well enough considering it's only been three decades since the last one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Anyone suggesting that America is going to knock him off is pretty delusional. The question is how long before the Phillipino people (or the moneyed interests behind Duterte) realize the damage he's doing to their country and demand a change. I'm sure America will do what it can to encourage that point of view but fantasizing about shooting him is best kept to ones self.

^^^ what he said

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

“[It's just an expression. Why would they take this seriously? It's not like Obama can actually go to hell, right?] He could have said go to heaven, [that's just an expression]. It shouldn't be taken too seriously,]” Sotto told reporters.

Flayer posted:

The legislature is mostly behind him in lockstep, the Senate deposed a senator from her committee position for daring to look into extrajudicial killings, and they replaced her with someone who thinks that Congress-approved martial law would be the best way to combat a drug problem that is completely overblown and falls overwhelmingly on the poor. Also Duterte favorably compared himself to an undemocratic genocidal manic.

I don't think the people of this thread are the ones who have a problem with democracy, buddy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

Also Duterte favorably compared himself to an undemocratic genocidal manic.

Undemocratic genocidal maniacS, plural.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/07/19/1604391/duterte-wont-mind-being-compared-idi-amin

quote:

MANILA, Philippines - Unfazed by the public outcry over drug-related killings and arrests barely three weeks into his term, President Duterte said he doesn’t mind having more drug offenders killed even if it would mean his being likened to the late Ugandan dictator Idi Amin.

Speaking at a fellowship dinner over the weekend with his batchmates at the San Beda College of Law, Duterte reiterated that he would not change his leadership style, which he said had been effective in Mindanao. Duterte was Davao City mayor for two decades.

Around 72,000 drug dependents have surrendered to authorities so far since he assumed office on June 30.

“[I don't care. My paradigm is not like how things are here in Manila. In Mindanao, we go straight to killing. That's what I know. Why would I change?] It is serving the country,” he said.

“I know that it would put me maybe… I will retire with the reputation of Idi Amin,” he said.

But unlike Idi Amin who killed to keep himself in power or out of plain brutality, Duterte said he would only be tough on hardened criminals, especially drug pushers and dealers.

Idi Amin brutally ruled Uganda for eight years until he was deposed and forced into exile in 1979.

At the start of his administration, Duterte openly advocated the killing of drug suspects. But he clarified law enforcers can only kill drug offenders if the latter resist arrest or fight back.

He said he felt insulted upon realizing that some drug lords had managed to continue their illegal trade while serving time at the New Bilibid Prison.

“So what do you make about these guys cooking (drugs) inside? I said there would be a reckoning,” said the 71-year-old President.

The Chief Executive said shabu could be considered worse than cocaine or heroin in terms of its effect on the brain. He said shabu production involves lethal chemicals, including those used for car batteries.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Which mass-murdering dictator will he compare himself to next? Pol Pot? Stalin? Should we start laying odds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Which mass-murdering dictator will he compare himself to next? Pol Pot? Stalin? Should we start laying odds?

Is it too late to dub him Pinoychet?