Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I will say, hearing Paul and Vos fight while O and A laugh maniacally make me feel like I'm 20 again :3:

e- during drivetime, too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
https://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/55v1tg/tits_at_three_live_listening_thread_10416/

This is a rundown of Opie's first show. It is very, very, very detailed.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

T Bowl posted:

I am actually gutted that Opie still has a gig, it really seemed like there is some justice in the world when it looked like that fucker was done.

Being banished to limp on in afternoon drive limbo is a brilliant ending. Like the series finale of The Shield. No final blaze of glory, no ride into the sunset, just a man completely broken & alone doing paperwork.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the Teft running joke is the funniest thing on that channel in years

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Tefft Behind

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The O&A phone call. https://soundcloud.com/user-125369111/opie-anthony-speak-for-the-1st-time-in-2-years-10-04-2016

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the Teft running joke is the funniest thing on that channel in years

The first thing I thought of was Back and to the Tefft. I was so glad it was mentioned on the show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's pretty funny how Opie said that Sherrod won't call him back since Race Wars was canceled and Vic told him see ya after he found out that Sirius wouldn't budget a full time co-host.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Water-cooler buzz is that Opie led them both on with promise of a paid contract that obviously never came to fruition.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Thanks for this. This was actually pretty good. Yeah, Opie is still completely full of poo poo in numerous spots as he always is, but it also felt like they fell back into their natural chemistry pretty easily. Just makes me sad for the show that we lost.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This whole thing actually got me wondering if there was a segment of Opie & Jim that I legitimately enjoyed, and the only one that I could come up with was when Jim Florentine was third mic and Tom Sizemore was their guest. Tom quickly hijacked the show and was just really entertaining and the other three really didn't have to do much, as Tom was just going off and being incredibly eccentric (let's face it, he was probably high as gently caress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sX2RR9j1qQ

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Something I legitimately enjoyed was when Opie was out and Kurt Metzger was in. A lot of input from the producers/engineers, too, that episode. Sam was chatty, Erock had some stuff to say, THE TEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT had some things to say, too. It was just a good episode. GET ME MORE ICE FOR MY BUCKET HAT~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKQXc3XWwA I mean, even the image for the episode is great: Jimmy looks like the li'l'est boy sitting behind the big boy controls for his first time!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UncleMonkey posted:

Thanks for this. This was actually pretty good. Yeah, Opie is still completely full of poo poo in numerous spots as he always is, but it also felt like they fell back into their natural chemistry pretty easily. Just makes me sad for the show that we lost.
I'm probably in the wrong mindset to fairly evaluate this but it seems having "chemistry" with Opie just means being able to cope with his OCD. He has to control the topic at all times but frequently drifts off with some distraction and either clams up randomly or barrels over someone before a conversation is anywhere near completion. That spastic opening where he couldn't hardly let Vos speak despite Vos being ready to lap his rear end really illustrates it for me.

Basically if you don't intuitively know what Opie suddenly wants to talk about at a given instant and let him have it he drives the show off the rails like a petulant child

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
opie: give me a break, i've been fishing for three weeks
vos: what for, a new job?

lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
There was also a line about a tank at an aquarium and Vos asked him if he was talking about this show.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That would have been a weird call if Vos wasn't there. He was exactly what they needed to feed nervous energy into.

EDIT: Also lol at Anthony being all "We'll figure out getting a drink." and Opie just saying "... I'll keep an open mind."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm just glad it finally all blew up and Opie being a loving ingrate was exposed to a wider world than just superfans like some of us. Jim is a worm, sure, and Ant.... well, Ant is like every Italian guy from the northeast that grew up in the 60's and 70's, really. Both are awful people to an extent, but neither of them I feel is truly psychotic the way Opie is.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Plot twist: This has all been orchestrated by Ron to breath some life into those shows.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

^^ Oh, if only.

VikingSkull posted:

I'm just glad it finally all blew up and Opie being a loving ingrate was exposed to a wider world than just superfans like some of us. Jim is a worm, sure, and Ant.... well, Ant is like every Italian guy from the northeast that grew up in the 60's and 70's, really. Both are awful people to an extent, but neither of them I feel is truly psychotic the way Opie is.

A lot of people in radio are very, very broken. The entertainment industry always has its share of the insane and completely lost, but radio is the dregs when it comes to that. You get a lot of bottomfeeders, losers who exhausted their chances, has-beens, never-wases, and psychotics. It's all a matter of degree but I guess it shouldn't be shocking that Opie is the biggest lunatic on the show. Ant has his downsides to be sure, but at least he has a bit of talent propping up that sad racism thing he has going on.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

VikingSkull posted:

Ant is like every Italian guy from the northeast that grew up in the 60's and 70's, really... awful people to an extent
Though before my own time, sadly can confirm this through experience.

E:

Opie combined audio and video from yesterday's impromptu reunion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1vdmSD3vU

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

A lot of people in radio are very, very broken. The entertainment industry always has its share of the insane and completely lost, but radio is the dregs when it comes to that. You get a lot of bottomfeeders, losers who exhausted their chances, has-beens, never-wases, and psychotics. It's all a matter of degree but I guess it shouldn't be shocking that Opie is the biggest lunatic on the show. Ant has his downsides to be sure, but at least he has a bit of talent propping up that sad racism thing he has going on.

Oh, for sure. I've been listening to talk radio ~25 years now in various forms and it's generally a hilariously broken industry.

Dario the Wop posted:

Though before my own time, sadly can confirm this through experience.

It's hard to explain to the wider world, but racism in the northeast is weird. I really hate saying poo poo like this because I'm staunchly non racist (though well done racial humor can be hilarious), but there are people of a certain age up here who had no hope via their upbringing than to be racist. Given Ant's history, it's remarkable he's as adjusted as he is. There's also more of a willingness to use racial terms when joking around, and again, Ant being a tin knocker in his prior life probably saw him forge relationships like that. When you couple what he was conditioned at a young age to think, plus his life experiences, and then toss in fame and social media, hoo boy. Thing is, he at least has some sense of perspective on his flaws and can occasionally extract humor from them.... and when he doesn't people call him on it rightly.

Opie is just a stark raving lunatic. Again, considering his upbringing it's to be expected I guess. The difference between the two is Ant's racism has yet to really hurt other people in tangible ways, while Opie's damaged brain has cost people income and employment.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It wasn't Ant's racism that broke his girlfriends hand and ribs though

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It wasn't Ant's racism that broke his girlfriends hand and ribs though

Totally fair and irredeemable. Though again, look at his father and his upbringing.

I don't want people to think I'm defending him, more that he's not a very complicated guy when it comes to his lovely behavior. Also, to further drive home the point that it's insane that Ant isn't clearly the most damaged guy from the show despite all odds.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

VikingSkull posted:

The difference between the two is Ant's racism has yet to really hurt other people in tangible ways, while Opie's damaged brain has cost people income and employment.

Well, it was Ant's racism that finally killed the O&A show, doing more widespread damage than Opie's neurosis ever did.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kevyn posted:

Well, it was Ant's racism that finally killed the O&A show, doing more widespread damage than Opie's neurosis ever did.

Eh, you know what? I didn't really think of it that way, but you're probably right.

My god this show turned into a dumpster fire and it's fuckin' great.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
So I tuned in for a second and it's Club Soda Kenny and Judy Gold on Opie's show.

:yikes:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jerkstoresup posted:

So I tuned in for a second and it's Club Soda Kenny and Judy Gold on Opie's show.

:yikes:
lovely time slot, little prep and he just pissed a bunch of people off, I'm surprised he didn't just have Vos in all week

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I feel bad for Club Soda Kenny in all of this. That special little man is all caught up in this childish divorce.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And Kenny can't even go and crack the skulls of some minorities anymore to get his jollies. That poor guy has had EVERYTHING HE LOVES taken from him!

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Jesus Christ it's so good to have some good morning radio again. You can really tell Jim and Sam are having a ton of fun. So much easier to listen to.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
IT'S CALLED THE HONEYMOON PERIOD DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Of all the things that annoyed me about Opie's show yesterday, for some reason it was the repeated mention of the afternoon timeslot taking away his time with his son that rubbed me wrongest (his constant trampling was a close second). A man complaining that he is being forced to spend three hours a day away from his son in exchange for a dream job and a million-ish dollars is the most babyish, pathetic whinging I've ever heard. He is incapable of connecting with his audience.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ozza posted:

He is incapable of connecting with his audience.
He's almost incapable of connecting with anyone at this point. He kept yelling at Vos and Kenny even though they were 100% there to be in his corner and help him out. I don't know if he thinks that's how you "bust balls" or what but I just felt awkward for him.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ozza posted:

Of all the things that annoyed me about Opie's show yesterday, for some reason it was the repeated mention of the afternoon timeslot taking away his time with his son that rubbed me wrongest (his constant trampling was a close second). A man complaining that he is being forced to spend three hours a day away from his son in exchange for a dream job and a million-ish dollars is the most babyish, pathetic whinging I've ever heard. He is incapable of connecting with his audience.

I'll be here waiting for someone to take that and mix it with his insistence at working afternoons to the repeated refusals by Jimmy and Ant. There is nothing sadder than someone thinking they're good at manipulation when they just got loving thrown off their own show because they were the last ones to sign.

And speaking of broken people, I found this in the Trump thread. Somewhere, Fez just nods his head and says 'I fuckin' KNEW IT!'

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/783735394508480512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

RICHIE INCOGNITO IS BACK! Him and his gang are back to torment the homosexuals who don't speak on the radio!!

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
to be honest Fez was always right, just too nutty to relax.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tr33 posted:

to be honest Fez was always right, just too nutty to relax.

Fez was wrong once, when he said his cat could say cookie

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

VikingSkull posted:

It's hard to explain to the wider world, but racism in the northeast is weird. I really hate saying poo poo like this because I'm staunchly non racist (though well done racial humor can be hilarious), but there are people of a certain age up here who had no hope via their upbringing than to be racist. Given Ant's history, it's remarkable he's as adjusted as he is. There's also more of a willingness to use racial terms when joking around, and again, Ant being a tin knocker in his prior life probably saw him forge relationships like that. When you couple what he was conditioned at a young age to think, plus his life experiences, and then toss in fame and social media, hoo boy. Thing is, he at least has some sense of perspective on his flaws and can occasionally extract humor from them.... and when he doesn't people call him on it rightly.

Patrice begged Anthony on the air to stop spending all his free time on Niggermania. He lost his job by basically screaming at the top of his lungs on Twitter that he believes "THEY'RE NOT HUMAN!!!" His upbringing and the old culture of openly accepted racism have been discussed and analyzed in great depth on the show.

Ant is a silly goose.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Animal-Mother posted:

Patrice begged Anthony on the air to stop spending all his free time on Niggermania.

bbbbbbbbbut he's just there to see opposing point of views there's nothing wrong with that

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Anthony just wants to have an open, honest discussion, guys. I mean, look at these Chicago crime statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjqJdxvAz0

• Locked thread