Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I love this for so many reasons

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

modedit to fix your link :)

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

modedit to fix your link :)

I really shouldn't be as bad at that as I am. Thanks LAB, you're the bestest.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's a very loud GIF.

Edit: Oh god I just noticed the owl is alive, I thought it was a taxidermy at first.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 4, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god, separate those birds ffs, preferably to different owners. I want to see the part in harry potter where Hedwig repeatedly tries to rip scabbers head off because that's what birds of prey do no matter how magic they are.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The gif is hilarious, but yeah, never mix prey birds with birds of prey.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Took momo into the bathroom with me so he wouldn't eat my computer cords while I tidied. Had a good grip on my shirt but he jumped into the open toilet before it occurred to me what he was doing. Totally my fault for not shutting it before I brought him in and I feel terrible.

There has been no running water in my apartment all day. Good grief. Any other day he would just be a little wet... I immediately grabbed him, but my poor pee bird. as there is still no running water I gave him as thorough a spray bath as I could and am trying to keep him from preening himself until our water comes back on. Is he going to be okay? Can birds die from pee water?? pls advise :ohdear: He seems okay, just disgruntled. Or perhaps disgusted.

e: water came back a few minutes later so he got a very thorough rinse in barely warm water and is drying out now. I think he's pouting about how thorough the bath was compared to his usual spray but I'd rather he pout than be getting pee all in his mouth preening himself.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 4, 2016

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

This is not what we meant by establishing dominance in the flock.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

your birb is going to be fine

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ur-ine trouble now.

NO seriously though, he's fine.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

a preening, pouting, pee-free Pyrrhura

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

subpar anachronism posted:

i have seen things

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

i have seen things

hey, he's lucky it was only pee

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that's so funny holy crap hahaha

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/zXXv6ey.gifv

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Maybe not a stupid question since it involves a conure, but... did he jump in on purpose or fall in by accident

Also how furious was he during his rinse off

The FF7 battle music is playing in my head :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Maybe not a stupid question since it involves a conure, but... did he jump in on purpose or fall in by accident

Also how furious was he during his rinse off

I think he just meant to lean over and have a look and lost his grip, and extremely

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

"Plumber saves a pair of parrots on the DVP, names them Don and Valley" http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/parrots-dvp-1.3790323

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

"Plumber saves a pair of parrots on the DVP, names them Don and Valley" http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/parrots-dvp-1.3790323

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The colonies really ain't that good at making up original names, freaked me out for a moment when I read that because I live quite near to the original Don Valley and I can't quite believe anyone would ever name anything after it. Yours is nicer, believe me.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Omg that is too funny...poor thing!

I sort of feel your pain. My youngest kitty (2.5 years) is an idiot. You would think that, by now, he would have learned to LOOK before he leaps. Nope...at least once a week he gets a bath from falling in the used toilet water. He is so fast, he is in midmotion as we stand up. We can't get the toilet seat down fast enough ;( It's to the point where he isn't allowed in the bathroom with us when we need to use it...but he sneaks in when my husband gets ready for work early in the morning.

I'm glad you got your little pee-buddy out quickly. Little guy was probably not very happy with the whole thing but....rofl!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wait I've seen that befHOLY poo poo IS MOMO THE SAME SUBSPECIES AS OHTORI?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i cant stop laughing at pee bird

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Pissbird is a good metal band name, I'm just sayin'

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Took momo into the bathroom with me so he wouldn't eat my computer cords while I tidied. Had a good grip on my shirt but he jumped into the open toilet before it occurred to me what he was doing. Totally my fault for not shutting it before I brought him in and I feel terrible.

There has been no running water in my apartment all day. Good grief. Any other day he would just be a little wet... I immediately grabbed him, but my poor pee bird. as there is still no running water I gave him as thorough a spray bath as I could and am trying to keep him from preening himself until our water comes back on. Is he going to be okay? Can birds die from pee water?? pls advise :ohdear: He seems okay, just disgruntled. Or perhaps disgusted.

e: water came back a few minutes later so he got a very thorough rinse in barely warm water and is drying out now. I think he's pouting about how thorough the bath was compared to his usual spray but I'd rather he pout than be getting pee all in his mouth preening himself.

Ritz once flew into our salt water fish tank, we bathed him and then licked him u til he wasn't salty anymore. I'd not suggest that for you, but the moral of the story is he was fine.

E: a co-worker had a bird that drowned in an open toilet, so we started closing all lids after we heard that story about 4 years ago. It only took about 3 days to get into the habit and now it's weird not doing so.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

What is 'tori? Mochi's a GCC (Pyrrhura molinae).

e: and yeah, today's experience has me scared straight about remembering to put the lid down. I've been bad about it thusfar because I usually shut the door completely and it's the first time I've actually let him in there with me.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Ritz once flew into our salt water fish tank, we bathed him and then licked him u til he wasn't salty anymore. I'd not suggest that for you, but the moral of the story is he was fine.

hahahahaha

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Sometimes i bring Taco to the bathroom with me and I've always been worried about a peebird but just thought i was being overly anxious. Now I know

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Did we have a goon doing a series of drawings of birds being very fancy and in the style of Victorian Era portraiture? Was it battle pigeon?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Took Taco to the vet for a check up before Goast & I go on holiday. The vet was very happy with him, Taco was mostly well behaved, and he is nice a healthy! The vet said his feathers were in very good condition and very clean, so his diet and bathing routine are good!

Now Taco is just having a bit of a sook because he was downgraded from a sky snipper to a floor snipper in preparation for being boarded in a few weeks. He is pretty well behaved with Goast & I, but the last thing we want is for him to be a flappy poo poo for the place we are leaving him with, and to fly away or fly up into the rafters or whatever and cause a stress trying to get him back down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well done girls and boys, yes it was your combined posturing and dancing that chased that nasty vacuum cleaner away.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Potato Salad posted:

What is 'tori? Mochi's a GCC (Pyrrhura molinae).

e: and yeah, today's experience has me scared straight about remembering to put the lid down. I've been bad about it thusfar because I usually shut the door completely and it's the first time I've actually let him in there with me.

Kweh? Like subpar said, Mochi is a GCC of the yellow-sided variety, which is the same as Inko

Ohtori isn't a subspecies, he's a Blue-throated conure, Pyrrhura cruentata, the biggest species in the genus Pyrrhura

Juan Carlos III posted:

Did we have a goon doing a series of drawings of birds being very fancy and in the style of Victorian Era portraiture? Was it battle pigeon?

I remember those but it wasn't me; I draw dumb griffons/portraits. It was either uglynoodles work or someone I can't remember the name of without Archives

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

learnincurve posted:

Well done girls and boys, yes it was your combined posturing and dancing that chased that nasty vacuum cleaner away.

Vacuum cleaner is ok by Teeka. He respects it because it is loud, but he is louder.

Broom, though, is a different story. Broom's bristles are bigger than Teeka's battle banner, therefore it must always be shown MAXIMUM THREAT DISPLAY

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori does not respect the vacuum cleaner (an old crappy kind with paper bag rather than the Dyson drum type ones if it matters) and will reliably attempt to fight it when outside of his cage at the same time. Strangely, Steve will also threaten it. Inko just yells back

I think it was Pookie that also hated the SCARY BROOM, maybe it's a thing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My wife is frightened by the vacuum cleaner and legitimately backs the gently caress off like a frightened animal any time I'm running it. This is someone who recently took six concurrent rabies immunoglobulin shots without flinching.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket is fine with the vacuum, she will yell a little but she is sort of fascinated with it.

She adores "helping" me vacuum, though, (in a supervisory position of course) and will happily sit on my shoulder and give me a running commentary about the spots I miss. She seems to take great delight in watching the cats run from the evil red thing.

She doesn't mind the broom either, but she is leery about the actual handle. In the cage, she will plaster herself as close as possible to where I am sweeping so she can watch....but out of the cage she again likes to be in charge on my shoulder, and point out all the bits that still need to be swept up. She will also yell at the one or two cats who come to "help" me sweep by attacking the broom head or diving into the dust piles.

Between her and the cats...sweeping and vacuuming are always a challenge :)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Just found this thread. Hello.

I do not own a bird, nor will I any time soon. I live at home, and we have a big aggressive Labrador already. Plus, I work full time. Can't take care of a bird.

So instead, I own one vicariously through the birds of others. This thread has been fun to skim through.

Max the cockatoo is my favorite, mainly because videos of him go up every day like clockwork. I love this loud and messy bird so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlUEoO94WM

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wonder what gaston would think of the vacuum cleaner

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We need videos of Max and gaston meeting the vacuum cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

My boyfriend says the reason our bird hates the vacuum cleaner is that all it ever does is eat things, such as her pellet-and-splinters collages she makes with such care and love. I think that's a pretty good reason.