Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TwystNeko posted:

new sprocket, pulley, and timing belt.
$900 for a timing belt replacement isn't too bad, really. Yeah, it's $900 you had no plans to get rid of this way at this time, and that sucks. Requisite "could be worse" here.

Also, thanks for the update. Friends of mine have a similar car, it's always useful to hear about problems & solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dodged a bullet there I think. I dunno what a replacement engine costs but I bet it's more than $900 after labour.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

Requisite "could be worse" here.

Especially since most modern cars are interference and a timing belt issue usually means some sort of rebuild. $900 ain't too shabby for a timing belt job either, my friend got quoted twice that to do his Civic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

Especially since most modern cars are interference and a timing belt issue usually means some sort of rebuild. $900 ain't too shabby for a timing belt job either, my friend got quoted twice that to do his Civic.
Hyundai's business model is mainly "be much cheaper than Honda". This is consistent with my experience, too - my 3rd-gen Prelude's timing belt cost around $2K, though the comparison here isn't strictly 1:1, because I had them do the water pump "while we're in there".

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah to be honest I really had zero interest in mechanics until I finally pissed my dad off enough and I realised how much these jobs cost when somebody else is doing them.

The Honda timing belt job really is annoying though and I wish I didn't volunteer to do it for him.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's usually a good idea to do the water pump though. It's under the same covers and such, so if it does fail you have to do the equivalent of a timing belt job again, since alllll that garbage had to come out again anyway.

Generally speaking, of course. Many cars (with four cylinder engines at least) drive the water pump off the timing belt. The pump itself should be pretty cheap, set of gaskets almost nothing, etc. Need to replace the coolant though, which is generally a good idea to do regularly as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah it's good practice to do unless you just don't care or plan on dumping the car. It would probably add something like $200+ to the job but would save that $1k+ if it fails later.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
welp. Have to replace it anyways - it's leaking. (sigh) final cost: $1228. It's rough because I have a gig on Saturday that'd pay for all of this. Instead I'm scrambling to find money before then. ;_; The joys of being self-employed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can see why you guys went with the beer bottles for the premix oil for SCH now. I must've looked very dignified prying open the gas tank flap with a turkey baster while I poured oil on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo is our fleet leasing company a bunch of cheap fucks. Just got my 2015 Tacoma out of the shop for hail damage and they refused to fix the roof. Brand new truck and they are already taking the hit on most of it.

I am going to loving hammer them on it if I buy it out when I mile it out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If anyone else is planning to come to the pig roast, let me know by Tuesday night.

I need to pre order the tickets pretty quick here.

E:
So far I have ssswitch and wife, McT and wife, 1500 quid, and MrChips.

Am I missing anyone?

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 3, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Someone here should buy this: I will help get it running.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...m_source=alerts

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone should throw a couple <$10K lowballs to these guys.

Drake, I am looking at you.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2001-porsche-boxster-convertible/1193881004?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-porsche-boxster-s-convertible/1197181171?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

So far I have ssswitch and wife, McT and wife, 1500 quid, and MrChips.

Am I missing anyone?

Oh poo poo I forgot to hit submit this morning :ohdear:
It'll be a similar visit to my tm2tw sendoff what with the fixin' trucks all weekend (pretty much no chance of leaving early since I booked the 14-17th off for some dental bullshit) but I'm in unless I'm too late.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

If I had $10k to shove at a Porsche, I still don't think I could ever do a Boxster.

I'd do something dumb like this:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...urce=ios_social

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

If I had $10k to shove at a Porsche, I still don't think I could ever do a Boxster.

I would get two 924s, flip one upside down on top of the other, and weld them together roof to roof with the engines connected through a massive v-belt.

Then go to Euro Cars and Coffee when it returns and rev at a BMW M6 until it plows through a crowd of innocent pedestrians like it did this year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to hit submit this morning :ohdear:
It'll be a similar visit to my tm2tw sendoff what with the fixin' trucks all weekend (pretty much no chance of leaving early since I booked the 14-17th off for some dental bullshit) but I'm in unless I'm too late.

Yeah no problem. You can grab your high lift, extinguisher and tow strap when you're in town too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Boxsters are a fun little car and underappreciated. :colbert:

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice 968 or 928 though.

Speaking of Boxsters, watched this the other day
https://youtu.be/oS_yKQRcln0

Some guy sold his boxster to an annoying fucktard on a TV show for next to nothing because of serious transmission problems. The "problem" was it needed a fluid change.

Also, woke up to flurries in Medicine Hat.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I don't have a lot of experience with Porsches in general but I think you get a lot for the money when you look at that era of Boxster.

There were years affected by the IMS issue, so keep that in mind.

I think we got around 4" of snow last night in SK and its still snowing. Then ~+10C next week.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Also, woke up to flurries in Medicine Hat.

That's like the worst thing imaginable this time of year.

Being in medicine hat.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Boxsters are a fun little car and underappreciated. :colbert:

I'm sure they're fun, but I could only drive one at Spec Boxster race. Not because of "lol chick car" or whatever - I just think their lines are really lame and they lose a lot of the Porsche appeal. And I don't like convertibles. So basically they take away almost everything I like about Porsche's. :colbert:

At least they're still great driving cars, but for a fun toy I'd want something hardtop, that I like he looks of.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You guys have seen this already, right?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/electronic-sign-shows-vulgar-message-of-relief-about-anthony-henday-1.3788310

I laughed. Also because highway construction (and associated delays) are never actually finished, they just oscillate in intensity.

It reminds me of some semi-subversive article, probably a blog post, I saw years and years ago about those traffic signs. This article asserted that most such trailer-mounted lite-brite arrays are pretty easy to access and change the message on. The control panel has a lock, but is often left unlocked or the keys are sometimes left on or near the trailer somewhere. There's a password-protection system, but most users (presumably, site supervisors) don't bother to change the password from the factory default, which is something easy like 0000 or 1234.

I'm guessing this particular incident has already led to a flurry of memos and some tedious tailgate / toolbox meetings.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Lol, it's like NFS:U drift mode today. And a holiday weekend, so I had the roads mostly to myself. Best drive to work ever.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 9, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Anybody need a new winter beater? (*cough* slidebite *cough*)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/lethbridge/unimog-416-w-bale-deck-dump-box-for-sale-43-900-00/1195724897

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'd proudly cruise around in a unimog all year long, but that's overpriced even for here. I've seen the odd really nice one from time to time for ~$30K.

I saw one of those LWB monsters in Kalispell a couple years ago. It had what looked like a hotel on the back of it made of about 12 small cubicles like you've heard about from Japanese micro-hotels.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's LoL overpriced. Also it's the most basic of u1100's. Disc brakes didn't happen on the u900/u1100 until after '76.

Also 200,000+km ? You could import a u1300L from a broker for a lot cheaper and have a turbo model.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There have been a bunch of freightliner branded mogs coming up through govplanet too. that price is just nutty.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Everything in the province price wise has jumped the shark. It's insane.

In other news, 1500: I'm grabbing that wiperless hatch from storage for you this weekend and will be taking it down with me to the Oct 22 shenanigans.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Awesome, thanks man.

Weather permitting I should be able to drag the Mazda to Slungblade's place. Hopefully I'm done breaking it in by then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

On my cell but just heard on the news that Jim Prentice was killed in a plane crash last night in BC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

On my cell but just heard on the news that Jim Prentice was killed in a plane crash last night in BC.

Is MrChips ok?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like it was a Cessna Citation (biz jet) the lawn-darted shortly after take off from Kelowa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-plane-crash-killed-1.3804941

Isn't MrChips with a mainstream carrier?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I am here, don't worry...there was some discussion of this as I was leaving work last night that there was an aircraft missing between Kelowna and here, but nothing more than that at the time, since it was maybe half an hour after it happened.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Your avatar just got funnier, in a very dark-humour kind of way.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bondage cage Pig roaster coming together. loving hell I am tired.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Bondage cage Pig roaster coming together. loving hell I am tired.

That thing is huge. I guess it never fully clicked in my mind just how large a pig roster would have to be if the goal is to roast the entire animal all at once.

That thing looks solid as hell. :drat:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

That thing is huge. I guess it never fully clicked in my mind just how large a pig roster would have to be if the goal is to roast the entire animal all at once.

That thing looks solid as hell. :drat:

I sure hope so, it's been quite the ordeal building it so far. Still have a long way to go before it's ready :smith:

You guys headed home after the bbq or are you staying the night?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That roasting cage looks awesome man.

Any of you guys know someone that repairs curb rash on wheels preferably the south part of the province? I've got a couple spots on my 911 Twist rims that I am thinking of getting fixed this winter.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

You guys headed home after the bbq or are you staying the night?

We're unfortunately going to have to head home afterwards. The wife's working Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

We're unfortunately going to have to head home afterwards. The wife's working Sunday.

No problem man, just wanted to make sure I didn't have to get the guest bed ready.