Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

blugu64 posted:

Any reason to get a police report for identity theft? Might have been Wells Fargo, might have been someone else who opened up those accounts.

It was probably WF but sure, go to identitytheft.gov and start the paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Were the accounts ever used? I doubt it, if you haven't noticed until now. I would just cancel and forget about it.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then he can use that $28 windfall to invest in vintage phone receivers!

My SA reg costs project returns of 180%? I should share my investment strategy on personalfinance.

Accounts are closed. No fees or any activity. Unless i start seeing class action commercials everywhere, i dont think i am going to put in any effort.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

JohnGalt posted:

My SA reg costs project returns of 180%? I should share my investment strategy on personalfinance.

Accounts are closed. No fees or any activity. Unless i start seeing class action commercials everywhere, i dont think i am going to put in any effort.

I would think that the blood's in the water at this point, especially given how egregious the wrongdoing is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The question is whether Wells Fargo is properly tagging users who were defrauded. If one metric says 2 million and another says 4 million, they're going to use the lesser number and hope no one notices.

That's why I was wondering if he discovered it on his own or if Wells Fargo contacted him. It sounds like they counted the checking account, but conveniently didn't notice two unused credit cards. So he's only one fraudulent account instead of 3.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Two million, four million, hey, what's the difference?

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

The question is whether Wells Fargo is properly tagging users who were defrauded. If one metric says 2 million and another says 4 million, they're going to use the lesser number and hope no one notices.

That's why I was wondering if he discovered it on his own or if Wells Fargo contacted him. It sounds like they counted the checking account, but conveniently didn't notice two unused credit cards. So he's only one fraudulent account instead of 3.

Yeah, i had to push to find out about the credit cards. Im betting that its not an aberration to have multiple fake accounts per person (also note that my oldest mortgage is less than 2 years old).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This makes me so mad, and I really, really want to cancel off all of our Wells Fargo products except that they hold my only two credit cards, which is going to sink my goddamn credit for age if I did that. They're already pretty young cards, given that I used to just cancel cards I had paid off and was scared of creating debt with. I wish there was some recourse. I've already moved most of our banking to the local credit union, but I would like to sever completely.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This makes me so mad, and I really, really want to cancel off all of our Wells Fargo products except that they hold my only two credit cards, which is going to sink my goddamn credit for age if I did that. They're already pretty young cards, given that I used to just cancel cards I had paid off and was scared of creating debt with. I wish there was some recourse. I've already moved most of our banking to the local credit union, but I would like to sever completely.
Are you planning on buying a house in the next few years? If not, your credit score for new versus old credit cards should not be as much of an issue as you seem to think it is.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

gently caress em, get a Citi Doublecash card instead.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bhodi posted:

Are you planning on buying a house in the next few years? If not, your credit score for new versus old credit cards should not be as much of an issue as you seem to think it is.

I'm planning on refinancing our mortgage versus buying a house in 4.5 years exactly. Will it impact me then?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm planning on refinancing our mortgage versus buying a house in 4.5 years exactly. Will it impact me then?

No. Close your accounts that you aren't using. I posted something about this previously, but I closed my oldest account and still had a near 800 credit score when buying my house. Get your debts under control and pay your bills on time. That's by far the most important thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, I closed my oldest cards because I wasn't happy with the service. It lowered by credit immediately, but only by a small margin and it rebounded quickly. If all the rest of your credit is in order, the age on your credit cards isn't going to sink you. Seeing as you actually have a mortgage, I would guess that keeping that in good standing would be a much bigger influence, for example.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
The Wells Fargo cards will stay on your report for 10 years if closed. If your credit card score decreases, it will be a function of your utilization of available credit, not the account age directly (at lest until the cards fall off in ten years)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Fascinating, thanks for the insight guys.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Closing an account doesn't make it not count for credit age, it remains on your credit score and still counts as an "oldest account" for credit age calculations. What it does do is cut your available credit, but that has no history so as long as you get more credit later (another CC from a less lovely company) your credit score will instantly bounce back.

e: beaten, oh well

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
An account that was opened fraudulently has no business being on your credit report. Anyone affected by the Wells Fargo scams can write a letter to the major credit reporting agencies, explain the situation, and ask for those entries to be removed. This issue is well-publicized so that should help your case.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Personal BWM story:

My hippie aunt just lost her battle with her insurance company to get them to reimburse her for her ~$900 a month naturopath payments and just paid a lawyer $200 dollars to talk to him about it. He said he'll do as much work as she wants and I'm pretty sure he knows that there is no case there, but just wants to bill her. My aunt is now hitting up people for lawyer fees and still going to the naturopath.

She just spent about $450 on some kind of crystal geode that her naturopath doctor recommended to help reduce pain while she sleeps.

Reddit BWM Stories:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/560jla/crippling_student_debt_helpoptions/

"How can I service over $230k of debt on a 25k a year salary?

A few notes:

- My school no longer exists
- We got scared and filed chapter 13 because someone said they might sue us for 10k.
- Turns out we don't know what chapter 13 bankruptcy means.
- We got a shady business loan from a friend and made it legal. We paid this loan back in cash and never kept any record of payments. We then pissed off the guy we borrowed money from and he went to court and said we never paid.
- I decided this would be the best time to knock my wife up.
- I consider myself a smart man.

Thanks in advance"

quote:

Crippling Student Debt help/options?

I will preface this by saying I made mistakes, a lot of them, and I'm doing my best to own up to them, learn from them, correct them, move on and not repeat them.

In the late 2000s, I went to a now defunct for-profit college to earn a "bachelors degree." The cost of the school was $85,000, that I didn't have, so I took out student loans. A lot of them. There wasn't a real credit counseling meeting or class, and I was the first person in my family to go to college, so I figured the amount of the loan was normal and that it wouldn't be an issue to repay after school.

The real trouble started after school. We were renting from my wife's boss. We also took a small business loan out from him of $10000. My school loans were deferred for a bit (I had no idea about interest capitalization) and we were making our loan payments to her boss. My wife and her boss had a falling out, and we immediately moved out (and out of state.) I had no idea at the time, but my wife was making cash payments on the loan, with no receipt. He claimed we never made payments and that we thrashed his house, cause $10k+ in damages, and he was threatening a lawsuit. He's a multi-millionaire with $500/hr lawyers, and we knew we didn't even want to try and fight it. So instead, we declared Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

We were able to get back on our feet financially, and really learn to live within our means without the use of credit. However, during the bankruptcy that lasted 4 years, my student loans just absolutely ballooned with interest and capitalization. We're now over 200k. This week is the first time in 4 years that the loan company was even allowed to talk to me, because of bankruptcy rules. The lowest they say I can pay is around $1000 a month.

I currently make around $25k a year, but with my son going to school next year, I should be able to finally go back to work full-time. My wife makes 58k a year (this is brand new), but she isn't a co-signor to my loan.

What are my options? Spending $1000 a month for the rest of my life sounds horrific. The Sallie Mae loans were bought out by a company called Navient. Should i request in writing that they supply me with everything I've signed over the years, to prove what I do or do not owe? Are there any programs to reduce the amount I owe? Is there a way that I can responsibly pay $500 a month? Like I said, I've made mistakes, and I'm trying fix them, but this looming payment is literally keeping me up at night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/55yw08/150k_in_student_loans_400k_mortgage_and_no/

"Hi, I have roughly $700,000 in interest-bearing debt. But if I only pay the minimums, I still have disposable income. That means I'm doing a good job, right?

Also, whoops! I planned on my loans being forgiven in 10 years, but it turns out it's 25!

Also, double whoops! As an American citizen I still have to pay taxes even if I'm not living in the U.S. this year?

Also, triple whoops! I have to pay taxes on the amount of loans forgiven on IBR?

Also, quadruple whoops! No money down on a condo means it's basically free, right? Since I'll be getting all my money back when I sell it instead of throwing it away on rent.

No?

Well, I'm going to assume my original beliefs that the loans will go away in 10 years and I don't have to pay taxes are correct. How do I save for retirement?"

quote:

$150k in student loans, €400k mortgage, and no retirement. Need a plan. (US/NL)

That title may sound grim, and perhaps it is, but my wife and I both have good jobs with some disposable income, so we really just need a plan. We are Americans living in the Netherlands. We bought an apartment here, because no money down was required and we wanted to build equity instead of throwing our money away on rent. We mostly subsist on the money from my job alone, and her income goes to savings. I pay the mortgage.

Student debt: My wife currently has $153,000 in federal student debt, which is being paid back on an Income-Based Repayment (IBR) plan. Because we're out of the country and we pay taxes in the Netherlands, her income is considered $0 by the IRS, and her IBR currently requires $0 in monthly payments. We file taxes separately. Nevertheless, we have been making voluntary payments to her loans to try to keep the interest from going out of control and chip away at it. This year we managed to make two payments of $10k and $14k. Most of her loans are at about 7% to 8%. In the year 2030, if she still has a balance, her remaining balance is supposed to be forgiven.

Retirement/Savings: We really have no retirement plans, and this is where I worry. We're both in our 40s, so we need to invest ASAP. We have about 30k in a savings account, which is our emergency fund and the account that we use for her loan payments. I have $50,000 in a 401k in the US from an old job. We pay into a Dutch pension too, but we don't plan to retire here. I think it would only give us a tiny amount (like €800 a month when we're 65 years old), and I'm not even 100% sure if I'll ever be able to collect it if we move back to the US in a few years. I was thinking we should open an IRA or something, but then again she has that massive amount of debt...

So what should we be doing with our extra income? Pay as much as possible towards her student loans? Or should we save for retirement, pay the minimal amount on the loans and let them grow gigantic, and just bank on them being forgiven in 2030?

We really need some advice and some financial coaching, but our situation is unique and I don't know who to go to.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 5, 2016

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I didnt even think about it, but I my second mortgage is much more recent and potentially after the two credit cards were opened. If i am being charged a higher interest rate because of this, they potentially are profiting of their own gently caress up.

I might get $35 out of this.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reddit BWM Stories:

"How can I service over $230k of debt on a 25k a year salary?

A few notes:

- My school no longer exists
- We got scared and filed chapter 13 because someone said they might sue us for 10k.
- Turns out we don't know what chapter 13 bankruptcy means.
- We got a shady business loan from a friend and made it legal. We paid this loan back in cash and never kept any record of payments. We then pissed off the guy we borrowed money from and he went to court and said we never paid.
- I decided this would be the best time to knock my wife up.
- I consider myself a smart man.

Thanks in advance"

"Hi, I have roughly $700,000 in interest-bearing debt. But if I only pay the minimums, I still have disposable income. That means I'm doing a good job, right?

Also, whoops! I planned on my loans being forgiven in 10 years, but it turns out it's 25!

Also, double whoops! As an American citizen I still have to pay taxes even if I'm not living in the U.S. this year?

Also, triple whoops! I have to pay taxes on the amount of loans forgiven on IBR?

Also, quadruple whoops! No money down on a condo means it's basically free, right? Since I'll be getting all my money back when I sell it instead of throwing it away on rent.

No?

Well, I'm going to assume my original beliefs that the loans will go away in 10 years and I don't have to pay taxes are correct. How do I save for retirement?"
Could you post the links for these? I wanna see them bicker in the comments about how it isn't really so bad, you guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eldred posted:

Could you post the links for these? I wanna see them bicker in the comments about how it isn't really so bad, you guys.

Edited them into the OP.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I always liked the term "naturopath" because it sounds like a chronic pain or disease caused by nature.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I just want to thank you guys trawling thru the depth of Reddit to find these gems. They just give me such a nice tingling sensation.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ate all the Oreos posted:

I always liked the term "naturopath" because it sounds like a chronic pain or disease caused by nature.

Naturalpathy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

I didnt even think about it, but I my second mortgage is much more recent and potentially after the two credit cards were opened. If i am being charged a higher interest rate because of this, they potentially are profiting of their own gently caress up.

I might get $35 out of this.

On the other hand if they had a big credit limit they might have upped your available credit and saved you money!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edited them into the OP.

Thanks, homie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eldred posted:

Thanks, homie.

No probs.

I wish the OP was belligerent in the comments, but he seems just really really stupid and naively optimistic.

His solution is just: "Well, I thought it was all free money that goes away in 10 years and everything would be fine. Also, I owe taxes in the US, but the IRS hasn't come after me yet, so it's probably fine. 25 years is a long time, lots of stuff can happen in between, it will all work out. I'll just start saving for retirement after the loans are done (when I'm in my mid 50's) and it won't be a big deal."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Closing an account doesn't make it not count for credit age, it remains on your credit score and still counts as an "oldest account" for credit age calculations. What it does do is cut your available credit, but that has no history so as long as you get more credit later (another CC from a less lovely company) your credit score will instantly bounce back.

e: beaten, oh well

This must only be the case for credit cards because when I paid off my student loans and the accounts were closed, my average account age was cut in half and it has had a minor effect on my score.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I will never understand why people with 100k+ in federal student loans are not working for the government. Assuming public service loan forgiveness doesn't go away (gently caress please no) that's a ten year income based repayment, which results in sweet sweet tax free forgiveness.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I will never understand why people with 100k+ in federal student loans are not working for the government. Assuming public service loan forgiveness doesn't go away (gently caress please no) that's a ten year income based repayment, which results in sweet sweet tax free forgiveness.

Government jobs are even harder to get than private sector jobs, and they're constantly at the mercy of our slash happy Congress.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

State, city, and County government qualifies, as do most non profit organizations.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
In medicine at least, those jobs pay like rear end.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I wonder how the IRS will feel about him using his 401k after not paying his taxes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, the places it makes the most sense are the longest slogs through training (my wife had 6, I only had 4) and the difference ends up being you paying 4 or 6 years of payments on the 10 year payment plan (a sizeable number of high payments) then they forgive the rest. Pretty much the way to make it work is to stay poor for 8 years of training, make IBR payments the whole time and then take an academic job for two years while you get 80% of your loans forgiven.

Money is bad in academic medicine, but if you're in a lucrative specialty it's not super bad.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, the places it makes the most sense are the longest slogs through training (my wife had 6, I only had 4) and the difference ends up being you paying 4 or 6 years of payments on the 10 year payment plan (a sizeable number of high payments) then they forgive the rest. Pretty much the way to make it work is to stay poor for 8 years of training, make IBR payments the whole time and then take an academic job for two years while you get 80% of your loans forgiven.

Money is bad in academic medicine, but if you're in a lucrative specialty it's not super bad.

It totally depends upon what you do, where you do it, and who you are, and the typical pay difference between academic medicine, health system employment, and private practice is one of several variables to keep in mind when looking for a job in medicine. Most people aren't money making robots and the accompanying differences in lifestyle and workplace setting have a lot of value as well. A lot of doctors are going to wipe out six figures or more in loans starting in 2017 and that's probably going to get PSLF changed in big ways.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It totally depends upon what you do, where you do it, and who you are, and the typical pay difference between academic medicine, health system employment, and private practice is one of several variables to keep in mind when looking for a job in medicine. Most people aren't money making robots and the accompanying differences in lifestyle and workplace setting have a lot of value as well. A lot of doctors are going to wipe out six figures or more in loans starting in 2017 and that's probably going to get PSLF changed in big ways.

Hopefully not retroactively, as that specific "gently caress you" would be a bitter pill to taste.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hopefully not retroactively, as that specific "gently caress you" would be a bitter pill to taste.

The prevailing opinion is that it's part of the current master promissory note and can't be retroactively altered, only for new borrowers. Especially if major career decisions have been influenced you're right that would be a major gently caress you

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
BWM resulting in bitterness forever: started my government job in public service with 9 years and 11 months worth of payments left on my student loans.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My public government social work job is the best paying one in my field and qualified me for PSLF, but is also soul crushingly depressing and I may be a husk of a human 7 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Mocking Bird posted:

My public government social work job is the best paying one in my field and qualified me for PSLF, but is also soul crushingly depressing and I may be a husk of a human 7 years from now.

That sucks. I actually love mine, but it's working with a helicopter air ambulance unit, and about as far from a traditional government job as you can get. In fact, we are one of the only publicly owned units in the country. Plus, yay helicopters!

• Locked thread