Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GlyphGryph posted:

I do not track smartphone trends I just buy a decent phone for a decent price when I need a new phone so this is genuinely news to me. I mean, I knew it was a thing that sometimes happened with proprietary vanity phones like the iPhone back in the day but I hadnt realized it had actually become the norm even outside of apple products.

It allows more freedom of design rather than having to plan your design around having a removable door or back. This is why it's mildly surprising to be that Oculus did a Microsoft thing rather than an Apple thing in regards to the battery. I would have figured design above cost and assumed than Touch would have an internal battery because it's more ~design aesthetics~ and ergonomic versus having to plan for two double As when it comes to design.
The plus side (and probably the biggest reason they did it) is Touch is cheaper to manufacture which means cheaper to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It allows more freedom of design rather than having to plan your design around having a removable door or back. This is why it's mildly surprising to be that Oculus did a Microsoft thing rather than an Apple thing in regards to the battery. I would have figured design above cost and assumed than Touch would have an internal battery because it's more ~design aesthetics~ and ergonomic versus having to plan for two double As when it comes to design.
The plus side (and probably the biggest reason they did it) is Touch is cheaper to manufacture which means cheaper to sell.

I'm pretty sure Oculus bought the company that designed the Xbox controllers to make Touch, maybe they fought for replaceable batteries for similar reasons.

Edit: yep https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-agrees-to-acquire-carbon-design-team/

Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Looking at this picture, it looks like it's a single AA per Touch, although it's kind of hard to tell.

Also, it has a rating of 190ma and if you use a 2500mah battery you would get ~9 hours of battery life, assuming Touch consumes the full 190 when it is on.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poetic Justice posted:

Looking at this picture, it looks like it's a single AA per Touch, although it's kind of hard to tell.

Also, it has a rating of 190ma and if you use a 2500mah battery you would get ~9 hours of battery life, assuming Touch consumes the full 190 when it is on.

man if it's a single AA then yeah not a problem at all for design since you need to wrap your ham hock around something anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So who's excited about the Google Daydream announcement tomorrow? Rumors have the headset priced at $79, that's $20 less than Gear VR. Also a new set of Nexus/Pixel phones to accompany the headset.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You guys should watch Hbo's show Westworld that just started. I think VR people would particularly enjoy it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So who's excited about the Google Daydream announcement tomorrow? Rumors have the headset priced at $79, that's $20 less than Gear VR. Also a new set of Nexus/Pixel phones to accompany the headset.

Eh, not super excited. From what I hear about the dev kits, they're still going to be rotational tracking only, no translation. I think that's the biggest thing holding back mobile VR right now, since it's super hard to make something comfortable even if there's no locomotion without positional tracking.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Gen 3 comes out in a few hours?

Oh, you mean actually running the battery in a single go and having to charge them again? lol, why wouldn't you just always plug them in once you're done using them? I thought you meant once the battery stopped holding a charge.

I mean, I appreciate being able to swap the battery (easily anyway) but I think haven't built-in rechargeable are the better option.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

You guys should watch Hbo's show Westworld that just started. I think VR people would particularly enjoy it.
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. I saw the trailer a few months ago and got excited.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh, you mean actually running the battery in a single go and having to charge them again? lol, why wouldn't you just always plug them in once you're done using them? I thought you meant once the battery stopped holding a charge.

I mean, I appreciate being able to swap the battery (easily anyway) but I think haven't built-in rechargeable are the better option.

Some people are just universally awful at remembering to charge their cell phone, let alone their gaming controllers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I've had to charge my Vive wands twice.

This speaks either to its battery life or how little I use them.

I last used them yesterday.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone in the Boston area? There is a meetup in a couple weeks where they will be demoing some supposedly impressive pjotogrammetry software and also the hololens, an addition to some other stuff. I am interested in finally trying the hololens out for myself.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
A good reason for not being able to replace the battery in a phone is being able to boost the Water-Resistant rating.

Course Google Pixel will be the exception because HTC can't waterproof for poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So $649 for an official pixel phone, another $79 for the Daydream viewer. Viewer includes the VR remote. Some other phones ought to be Daydream compatible as well, coming in at a lower price point. Ships end of November? They mentioned being able to use Netflix, but only displayed a Hulu app. Mobile Netflix VR is mainly what I'm waiting for.

Looks like their big launch title is a sort of Harry Potter VR experience, and vr cinema view YouTube.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The remote looks like it acts like a Wiimote, which is kinda neat.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The mech game talked about a few pages back finally released a new video. Good to see its not dead, but unfortunately doesn't look like anything new is really said, though the method of zooming/sniping looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFXVrsagjTs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Giant Bomb is currently looking at the PSVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Giant Bomb is currently looking at the PSVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8

It seems not great -- the tracking is kind of a mess :/ It's actually making Jeff sick and he has the most iron stomach for VR out of anyone. I had it preordered, but I may cancel until I see if some of this gets ironed out through firmware updates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It looks pretty bad but I don't know how far away Jeff is from the camera. It definitely looks like the game world is wobbling around.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What a surprise, the cheap VR thing is poo poo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So are there any Populous style games in the works? Or really any kind of "boardgame simulator." Seems like such a natural and obvious fit for VR.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

It looks pretty bad but I don't know how far away Jeff is from the camera. It definitely looks like the game world is wobbling around.

Brad said he was experiencing the same thing at all distances at his home. I think they said Jeff is like 7-8 feet away right now. its a real bummer because some of the software looks cool, the Harmonix thing looks fun and this Battlezone looks cool. But other reviews are also talking about tracking issues or controller judder, too. And then some people are saying they had no issues at all. I guess we'll see if some of it can be fixed in firmware.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Brad said he was experiencing the same thing at all distances at his home. I think they said Jeff is like 7-8 feet away right now. its a real bummer because some of the software looks cool, the Harmonix thing looks fun and this Battlezone looks cool. But other reviews are also talking about tracking issues or controller judder, too. And then some people are saying they had no issues at all. I guess we'll see if some of it can be fixed in firmware.

I would imagine the controller judder can be somewhat resolved with software, just kinda apply smoothing to the inputs that ignores minor hand tremors and tracking errors.

But then why haven't they done that already?

Head tracking is a bigger deal. I'm waiting to try it out myself to make up my mind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you plug in a second camera for additional tracking fidelity? PSVR is just a single camera right?

They just discussed camera distance, said they were about 8 ft away. One guy said his tracking improved when he was directly facing the camera? I can imagine this will improve dramatically between now and christmas with firmware updates

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 5, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's a stereo camera, but yeah. I don't think they support plugging another one in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

So are there any Populous style games in the works? Or really any kind of "boardgame simulator." Seems like such a natural and obvious fit for VR.

Tabletop Simulator supports VR. And it's a good buy even sans VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hadlock posted:

Can you plug in a second camera for additional tracking fidelity? PSVR is just a single camera right?

They just discussed camera distance, said they were about 8 ft away. One guy said his tracking improved when he was directly facing the camera? I can imagine this will improve dramatically between now and christmas with firmware updates

I really doubt they'd support a second camera, although that is a great idea. Hardware probably isn't designed for it though, and its hard enough selling people one camera and headset much less a second camera.

It sounds like you need to be right in the sweet spot of the camera tracking, almost like a 3DS. Kotaku's review said they couldn't find a way to be comfortable switching between standing or sitting; the range was so finnicky they had to adjust the camera every time they move.

So definitely no roomscale going on here, not even close. Restricting movement that much really limits how much you can do in the VR world.

It still works and there's lots of game experiences you can do with just head tracking, but that's basically the difference between Oculus and VIVE and I vastly prefer the latter because of how immersive being able to actually reach around and pick things up is.

Seeing job simulator on PSVR and knowing that you can't do half the things you can on the PC version is pretty lame. Games will be designed around it though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looking at Dan hold his hand still and seeing the controller move around a few inches is really disappointing. If this normal for PSVR, this will be bad for vr as a whole.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mordaedil posted:

Tabletop Simulator supports VR. And it's a good buy even sans VR.

Yeah, I have a weekly group that plays TTS and I use my Vive for it whenever I can get away with it (so whenever I don't have to be reading a pdf rulebook, basically). It works pretty much exactly like sitting at a table for it.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
WTF, Sony. If the PSVR is really that bad, it's going to be like a baseball bat to the kneecaps of a medium that's still struggling to be taken seriously. I really, really hope there's a firmware update or something in the pipe.

EDIT: roadtovr's review is more favorable, but I'm inclined to treat it with skepticism given their obvious bias.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 5, 2016

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Does anybody know if the Daydream View has its own IMU or is it using the phones'? If so I hope they are using a better IMU than standard phones.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jubjub64 posted:

Does anybody know if the Daydream View has its own IMU or is it using the phones'? If so I hope they are using a better IMU than standard phones.

The daydream headset has no extra hardware in it, it's just a (much nicer) cardboard-style shell.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I tried a PSVR in a BestBuy a month or two ago, no Move controller, but the tracking was perfect and I had 0 hiccups or skips.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Digital Foundry have put out a fairly positive review for PSVR. As a Vive owner I do hope it's a success because it really would be a big boost for VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After I learned about the dire motion controllers I didn't hold much hope. The tech they're using simply is not good enough for the job and the only thing that is up to par is the HMD and that seems to have issues with its IMUs.

A few people with high tolerance of simulator sickness will probably be okay with all this, but if it makes everyone else sick this thing is gonna tank. If anyone is looking for VR something I'd just recommend waiting till the prices of the Vive and Rift (with Touch etc) have reduced.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the Giant Bomb guys are playing some sort of street luge game and they have to lay down on the couch to play and the PSVR keeps breaking track, so what do they do? Gerstmann holds the camera in his hands closer to the headset. Giant Bomb, taking dumb to the next level.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Kotaku's review has a demonstration of the controller shake. Disappointing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
maybe he has Parkinson's? insensitive dude

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zsinjeh posted:

maybe he has Parkinson's? insensitive dude

Parkinson's VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unfortunately there's just no way to make the PSVR motion controllers be accurate. All you can track is that ball and you can't get any orientation from that. Even then, it can only get position based on the size of the ball from the camera's perspective. That's not very accurate. All there is for orientation is whatever IMUs it has. That's going to lead to drift. Sony really should have made new motion controllers. Using technology from several years ago is not a good idea.