Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

My dream phone is basically just my mxp but with better memory management and a bit better battery life, but charging like 30% in fifteen minutes makes the second one way more tolerable.

Basically this, my MXP is to the point of dying at 20-25% and boy that's not really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, eBay has piles of like-new Nexus 6p for $330 shipped each, there's no reason in the world that's not a way way better value than the Pixel, right? It even has a bigger screen.

http://ebay.com/itm/172346782269

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Trip report: moved to Oneplus 3, picked up one from a local store. Still alive. Phone 1000x better than my old phone from 2011. Can't wait for next year's opo4 and support turning to poo poo with older phones.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A bunch of Moto devices got confirmed to get Nougat eventually.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

~coming soon™~

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero VGS posted:

So, eBay has piles of like-new Nexus 6p for $330 shipped each, there's no reason in the world that's not a way way better value than the Pixel, right? It even has a bigger screen.

http://ebay.com/itm/172346782269

This is probably what most people should buy depending on how warranty works with those. (if they can deal with the size)

I mean it's only going to get updates for one more year, but it's also only half the cost or less depending on sales tax.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wrist Watch posted:

A bunch of Moto devices got confirmed to get Nougat eventually.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

~coming soon™~
Because Motorola has a great history of fulfilling their update promises!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I still haven't received my marshmallow update for my droid turbo. They completely forgot about it. ~Lenovo~

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Endless Mike posted:

The MXP is the only Moto phone I've owned, are they notorious for that or something? The only thing that comes to mind about Motorola and updates is that brief golden age with the moto x where they got super competent for a few months.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Wrist Watch posted:

The MXP is the only Moto phone I've owned, are they notorious for that or something? The only thing that comes to mind about Motorola and updates is that brief golden age with the moto x where they got super competent for a few months.

Back in the 2.x days i think they had a bunch of phones with promised updates and they eventually just said, ehhhh ignore that list

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What does the second 'o' stand for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Back in the 2.x days i think they had a bunch of phones with promised updates and they eventually just said, ehhhh ignore that list
More recently, the Droid Ultra, Mini, and Maxx (flagship Verizon phones) weren't updated to 5.0 after being promised they would.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

What does the second 'o' stand for?

No idea. Maybe it's just op4 then.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/783686401141256192

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/783686617349300224

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/783687181990633473

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/783688380290732032

Yeah I think I'm skipping Pixel this year.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Man, the phone industry have done a top-notch job of convincing everyone that they NEED a new phone EVERY YEAR

I know why you'd say this, but counterpoint: I spend more time using or with my phone than pretty much anything else I use on a day-to-day basis. Generally more than my laptop, desktop, TV, car, etc.

So, personally, I think it makes a ton of sense to always have the latest and greatest phone. If Google rolled out the lease/upgrade thing that Apple has I'd already have signed up for it. Hell, I'd probably be tempted to just switch teams and get the iPhone if it weren't for how Fi is by far the best phone plan option for me.

I'll sell my current phone for 250ish bucks probably, so about 600 USD for a year, or 50/month. And next year, I'll do the same thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watching videos is what convinced me to jump on board. Those devices are fast. Really, REALLY, fast in a way that Android never has been before. They honestly look to be a joy to use.

I've been upgrading once a year for awhile now so what Google has planned for next fall doesn't really influence this decision.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Diminishing returns is not a thing nope nosiree

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
So now that the 'Google don't control the hardware' plank has been knocked out from underneath them, I presume Google can now bin their policy of rolling updates and update each and every Pixel phone in one fell swoop? ...like Apple can.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this supposed to run Andromeda or something?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/1..._source=twitter

Another Galaxy Note 7 just went up in flames. A replacement. Powered off. On an airplane.

Samsung is so hosed.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
maybe it's just time to suck it up and accept that the days of buying an unlocked phone for £330 and then sticking a giffgaff SIM in it at £12 a month is over... buying a Pixel XL on an O2 contract at £280 upfront and £31.50 a month works out to £1036 over 24 months. Buying one unlocked at £720 and sticking my £12 SIM in it works out to £1007, barely any difference. On the contracts you at least might get something cheaper in 2 years on upgrade.

On the other hand a 6P and my current SIM would be £648 over the same time period making it seem the obvious choice, but if they aren't even going to bother putting Android 8 on it then what's the point. Assuming they don't destroy the Android platform, what the OS offers is half the reason to buy the phone in the first place

Don't know what to think about them tweets either. Isn't every phone company working on a phone that's due out a year away?? The only difference is this time we know about it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Three Olives posted:

Another Galaxy Note 7 just went up in flames. A replacement. Powered off. On an airplane.

Samsung is so hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhODn4FRoE

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

They could have at least used the right model; that's very obviously a Note 5
:goonsay:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

We've got Chromecasts, Google Home, Nexus, Pixel, Chromebooks, the WiFi thingy, blah blah blah. I was thinking a thread for Living The Google Lifestyle that was about all of that poo poo together might make sense.

Maybe subsuming this thread into it? Android devices are pretty much the cornerstone of the whole Google devices ecosystem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Thermopyle posted:

We've got Chromecasts, Google Home, Nexus, Pixel, Chromebooks, the WiFi thingy, blah blah blah. I was thinking a thread for Living The Google Lifestyle that was about all of that poo poo together might make sense.

Maybe subsuming this thread into it? Android devices are pretty much the cornerstone of the whole Google devices ecosystem.

So basically a Googlenet of Things? Could be good, this thread moves pretty fast without anything else being discussed though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

minusX posted:

Could be good, this thread moves pretty fast without anything else being discussed though.

This is true, but I could start discouraging the same stupid arguments that happen multiple times a week and make up 75% of the posts?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Three Olives posted:

Samsung is so hosed.

Clearly, Google snuck a Samsung-specific self destruct into Android, to pave the way for the rise of Pixel.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

So now that the 'Google don't control the hardware' plank has been knocked out from underneath them, I presume Google can now bin their policy of rolling updates and update each and every Pixel phone in one fell swoop? ...like Apple can.

I would think the two models having essentially the same hardware would be a huge plus in regards to this, more than anything.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

The Google Lifestyle Thread: And you thought The Android Thread was bad...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My Nexus 6 just got an update!

It's the 2016-10 security update. No Nougat yet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thermopyle posted:

I would like this because I just ordered a Pixel XL and realized I'm going to need to heavily change my configuration of google services/accounts to optimize how I use this poo poo, and I'm not entirely sure how I want to go about that. Google's a lot more than just Android

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

My Nexus 6 just got an update!

It's the 2016-10 security update. No Nougat yet.

Keep us posted haha :) The never ending AT&T (?) Nexus 6 saga

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

I would like this because I just ordered a Pixel XL and realized I'm going to need to heavily change my configuration of google services/accounts to optimize how I use this poo poo, and I'm not entirely sure how I want to go about that. Google's a lot more than just Android

Make a new google account, and only have your media/movies/music/etc on it. That way you don't have to leave a tablet sitting out with your personal info on it for your house to have a remote control.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Make a new google account, and only have your media/movies/music/etc on it. That way you don't have to leave a tablet sitting out with your personal info on it for your house to have a remote control.

Would the family plan make more sense, or is that music only? That way you don't have to have the "media only" account on any devices that are exclusively yours.

RVProfootballer posted:

Keep us posted haha :) The never ending AT&T (?) Nexus 6 saga

Haha, we'll see what happens. I was tempted to do the OTA sideload or the beta signup, but I think I'd rather experience what a non-technical person that bought one in-store would go through. The kind of person that posts in this thread can make do and work around many of Android's foibles, but if you put yourself in the position of the average person, the shortcomings can be pretty glaring. Not necessarily this, I doubt the average person cares or notices a delayed OS update. When I helped my mom set up her Moto G 4 plus (coming from a 2013 Moto X), it took forever. Admittedly a lot of that was due to slow internet, but even little things like the SMS app changing and not being part of the built in migration complicated things.

I'm really excited to try out the Pixel's migration thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Would the family plan make more sense, or is that music only? That way you don't have to have the "media only" account on any devices that are exclusively yours.

Haha, we'll see what happens. I was tempted to do the OTA sideload or the beta signup, but I think I'd rather experience what a non-technical person that bought one in-store would go through. The kind of person that posts in this thread can make do and work around many of Android's foibles, but if you put yourself in the position of the average person, the shortcomings can be pretty glaring. Not necessarily this, I doubt the average person cares or notices a delayed OS update. When I helped my mom set up her Moto G 4 plus (coming from a 2013 Moto X), it took forever. Admittedly a lot of that was due to slow internet, but even little things like the SMS app changing and not being part of the built in migration complicated things.

I'm really excited to try out the Pixel's migration thing.

I made a shared family gmail account years ago, and all my google purchase are done on it. This was way before they offered the shared family plan for Google Music. I suppose you could bump up against the device limits, if you have a lot of people sharing it, but I haven't done so yet.

The shared plan only helps Google Music subs, right? They don't help with Movies and app purchase, right?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

well why not posted:

just don't buy a new phone ? what are you doing that necessitates a new phone every 12 months?

I'm not going to buy it. And nothing necessitates buying a new phone every year. Some people have extra spending money and like tinkering with the latest gadgets.

I mean I am the dude who was quoted for the Android wear thread title.

Edit: Thermopyle, I like the thread idea.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 5, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Samsung is so hosed.

If they confirm it's a replacement model, jesus christ they're hosed hahaha

Until then it easily could be one of the recalled phones because lol if you trust people being interviewed for something like this

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

FogHelmut posted:

I think that's the idea.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FogHelmut posted:

With the way they're headed, it's going to be more like Androidmeh.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

With the way they're headed, it's going to be more like Androidmeh.

Boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, between Samsung's Notebombs, Google's Last Year's Phones for This Year's iPhone Prices (and their brick your old Nexus software updates, you naughty cheapass you), and Apple's LOL WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HEADPHONE JACKS AMIRITE, I've picked literally The Worst Year to decide I need to start buying smartphones for GPS and 2FA That Doesn't Suck, haven't I?

goddamn it, what's wrong with my little go phone i don't expect much from my pocket phone ffs