Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
41 years ago, men armed only with slide rules and graph paper managed to construct and deploy a vessel without a single computer assisted or controlled function, using less power than an average space heater, and calculate the exact moment three years ago it would finally cross paths with the Red Planet in order to build up momentum for it to rocket right back past where it came from on its mission objective of threading Mercury's needle and flying closer to the sun than anyone ever thought possible.

If all goes according to plan, the Icarus 14 will eventually work it's way back outward once more to hopefully come to a stable orbit somewhere outside Neptune about 20 years from now just in time to rendezvous with the Lewis and Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd unironically live in that universe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 BAR RIFF posted:

41 years ago, men armed only with slide rules and graph paper managed to construct and deploy a vessel without a single computer assisted or controlled function, using less power than an average space heater, and calculate the exact moment three years ago it would finally cross paths with the Red Planet in order to build up momentum for it to rocket right back past where it came from on its mission objective of threading Mercury's needle and flying closer to the sun than anyone ever thought possible.

If all goes according to plan, the Icarus 14 will eventually work it's way back outward once more to hopefully come to a stable orbit somewhere outside Neptune about 20 years from now just in time to rendezvous with the Lewis and Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPNIRguxt0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Just a point of fact: There were computers in 1975. If you wanted to use a serious computer, you had to reserve time on them and enter your programs using stacks of punch cards.

Even in the 1975 of the planet of the apes movies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There were basic computers in WWII. Super basic, like Bombas, but still. Programmable and modifiable, even, so when people like Alan Turing were having a difficult time decrypting the Enigma machine, they could "program" the system to look for common phrases like "Heil Hitler" to speed up decryption.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could get subscript on a license plate so I could get Vmoon

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Our friend T-Bird won't be joining us this evening on account of a slight case of death.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Just a point of fact: There were computers in 1975. If you wanted to use a serious computer, you had to reserve time on them and enter your programs using stacks of punch cards.

Even in the 1975 of the planet of the apes movies.

I know that, I'm saying the entire vehicle is analogue input and control in a loose sense, manual choke, points,carb, analogue unbuffered readouts to gauges, etc. So there may have been computers, but seeing as 1974 and 1975 had at least 4 similar but different distributor options, 3 seperate strut top options, and nearly every single electrical load all bonsai splicing down to a single chassis ground ring terminal under the battery tray, I choose to believe it's the work of a.little ancient man living up the side of a mountain, calligraphy brush in hand, endlessly optimising over and over to find zen

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Now that the Honda has power to cruise at 80+mph should traffic decide to allow it, I'd like to take an opportunity to demonstrate proper driving technique to maintain proper speed and angle of attack.

Just keep the pedal buried and try not to think about how small you really are in the grand scheme of things, and the only thing stopping your tiny little spark of sentient existence from absolute, total oblivion might as well be a coffin made from tinfoil and granted the power of mobility because mankind is doomed, their folly to reach past their limits in search of the great unknown

AircooledVW.txt

Whats the hp on that little bugger again?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
54 at the crank using which ever system Honda deemed en vogue at the time. The blue Bug dropped it's fan belt at well past the speedo readout, anyone that feels like crunching the numbers. It had a 1974 Freewat Flyer 4 speed in top gear, 195/65/15 rear tires, 175 /55/15 front tires where the cable hooks up to the LF spindle, and tach was reading just a hair beyond 6800rpm because dad bragged the new motor was seriously built and by God it just kept pulling.

My fastback I did a verified 103mph on 85 south as declared by the friend following me in their ~05ish Silverado :getin:

You guys get to hear about today's Adventures in AMXland tomorrow, once the red mist stops forming across my vision each time I try to start

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Drink water

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

My fastback I did a verified 103mph on 85 south as declared by the friend following me in their ~05ish Silverado :getin: trying to put the flames out.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I don't think I ever got my squareback over 75, and even that was sketchy as gently caress.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Not an ACVW but an early water-cooled, I managed to do almost 100 mph in my Mk1 Polo, felt like twice the speed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've done 85 in the beetle, but that requires a slope and a tail wind.

70-75 every day to work, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I got well past 160 kph in the old Beetle... looked like a POS but the engine was .... ummm... not exactly stock. That was interesting.

(Big bore stroker kit, proted heads, big carby, extractors, 272 cam...)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone who ever thinks I either embellish my life or make things up for the internet, here's another entry in my crimeslife.txt.

Woke up at 6:30am with my boots, jacket, and lights on in my bed not remembering actually falling asleep, to a cat alerting me to the fact that she is actually starving to death because the full dry food clearly won't work because not even Hitler made cats only eat dry food, discovered I was out of cigarettes and wet cat food entirely, so i went to check the car.

The coffee shop out front were explicity discussing me yesterday, because I sat on the porch reassembling a carb and dialling in the loving piece of poo poo Carter float abomination fo the AMX, I probably would have gone in after a few smokes but starting about 20 minutes in to the work I ovErhard "no he's the one with the Honda" from the window facing into the yard, and then decided to sit and listen as about every 20 minutes or so there was another comment about my continued presence, talking about how i was clearly just on one and going at it, and discussions over whether there was anyone they could start calling about me all for the simple crimes of sitting on my porch dressed normap not listebing to music or even making a lot of noise on my own porch in the middle of the day working on a a carburetor for an absolutely astonishing 2 hours.

Now this coffee shop, I want you to consider that other neighborhood local owned coffee shops in Seattle, the loving hole in the wet earth that spawned Starbucks, have actually told me how pretentious Slate Coffee is when I mention how much more I like their place over the cockbags I live attached to. Let that sink in. So their claims of "nuh huh we didn't call about your Honda parked out front for a day" already seemed suspect now really seem like they're trying to assert their loving head up rear end "premium coffee served in wine glasses with a side of farts aimed directly into sir's mouth" image of ultra ttend and modern into perceived eye sores. They already come into the yard and take over our table and chairs, and then act all shocked and offended that the guy who just came out from that house sat down and now their conversation is ruined or awkward because why isn't he going away oh my god he's still just sitting there smoking and staring at us what is this creeps loving deal?

I've had people I've watched drink coffee in my yard visibly act out the sheer rude inconvenience that my silent observation puts them through as they gather all their stuff and go over to the benches out front of the fence, so that's why it amuses me so thoroughly that the person opening at 6:45am today, who discussed how much of a tweaker I am at length yesterday, arrived in time to see me exit the house, root through the butt can for snipes I rolled up to smoke , go walk out to my car to root around to look for a can of cat good I forgot to bring in, and bring back a junky rear end toaster I found outside.

And then about two hours later fling it back outside while screaming about it being full of black widows and obviously still spinning his loving balls off because Seatthe pretty clearly doesnt have Black Widows.

About 2 weeks ago, I bought a giant pack of Eggos and syrup, and they have just sat untouchd after I discovered we didn't have a toaster. And by God I was so loving excited I was finally going to get to just loving gorge on cheap waffles that I hope the following pictures illustrate my need for Waffles versus my hatred of spiders that unfolded over th next hour on my porch.

I bet the guys next door will have all sorts of stuff to talk about. What the gently caress is the wold coming to when a guy can't even overhaul trash appliances in the front yard before 8am without people assuming he's insane and on drugs.

I ask of you; Is a man not entitled to the syrup from his waffle? I prayed to the Lord to grant me waffles, he gives me a black widow infested toaster. And yet I have a piece of paper that claims I have diagnosed delusional persecution complex.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not saying you're wrong as I know you have more experience with the black widows than I, but I can't make out an hourglass on that spider. I've seen a few black spiders with fat bodies around Seattle but never with the tell tale hourglass that would make me think it was a black widow. That said I know they exist in this state, just usually not so much on the west side.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You know what's funny is my cat never ate wet food. I tried. She would only eat her dry food. No people food. Funny cat.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Regardless if that was a black widow it deserved to die and get out of the way of your Eggos.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
They didn't send a poet, they sent a 14"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd have just turned the toaster on. :colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CharlesM posted:

You know what's funny is my cat never ate wet food. I tried. She would only eat her dry food. No people food. Funny cat.

Same with mine. He doesn't even like catnip or treats. As a result, he's too loving skinny.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sidewalk gum posted:

I'd have just turned the toaster on. :colbert:

Hatred is the Emperor's Gift to mankind, and from his Golden Maple throne gives but one command. Purge the corrupt. Find His enemies no matter how deeply they hide in the dark. KILL THE XENOS. BURN THE UNCLEAN. FOR THE GLORY OF WAFFLES, FOR THE EMPEROR WE SHALL STAND AND FIGHT UNTIL ALL ARE SLAIN, OR NO LONGER I DRAW BREATH TO FIGHT WITH

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong as I know you have more experience with the black widows than I, but I can't make out an hourglass on that spider. I've seen a few black spiders with fat bodies around Seattle but never with the tell tale hourglass that would make me think it was a black widow. That said I know they exist in this state, just usually not so much on the west side.

I've seen one False Widow that was a sort of dark brownish, and while I did not specifically see the hourglass, ouf of all the creatures that are shunned from God's blessings and hide from His gaze in the shadows, there's only one spider I know that wears gloss black tailored Hugo Boss.

The real proof if your hellish unholy nightmare made flesh is the real deal or just a lovely PNW flea market knock off Robert Cop spider is in the quality of the webbing, because nothing makes your skin crawl lime hearing strands crackle as they individually snap cleaning it out of your waffle death chamber.

Heh.

Luftwaffle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know how you get through that long of a rant without ever coining the phrase "spider eggos"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Realistically I had like four other holocaust jokes that got cut during the drafting phase because they just didn't quite meet the criteria required so anything that doesnt make me think about having spider egg sacs becoming ingested and hatching in my face like that book warned me about growing up the better

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or because just like Fred Durst, I find the passion and complexity of the written word inspiring and beautiful and avoid such obvious word play in an effort to give only the best I possibly can back to the world that created and sgaped me, so that one day all the Bizkits may be as limp as his has made mine. The man truly is a hero of all mankind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here, let me set your mind at ease.

I think what you have there is a false black widow, Steatoda grossa.

"False black widows produce symptoms that are similar to but much less severe than those of a true black widow bite."

They also eat other spiders, including black widows. There is nothing in that article about them hatching in people's faces so I think you're probably in the clear, I feel like that kind of information would have been included.

Also any spider eggs that wound up directly in contact with your spider eggos would get cooked, and cooked eggs are just good for you man, lots of protein and the good kind of cholesterol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean I don't have chickens hatching in my face and I eat all kinds of chicken eggs so I feel like this is a comparable situation.

then again my toaster oven has never to my knowledge harbored illicit nests of chickens

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I mean I don't have chickens hatching in my face and I eat all kinds of chicken eggs so I feel like this is a comparable situation.

then again my toaster oven has never to my knowledge harbored illicit nests of chickens

I wish I could go back in time and show this post to myself when I first joined SA.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Here, let me set your mind at ease.

I think what you have there is a false black widow, Steatoda grossa.

I do understand the usefulNess of Occam's sounding rod, but a couple things I'm sticking with. First being while looking very similar indeed, once you see a false widow next to black widow you can see the inferior, undesirable genes that dilute the essence and purity of color, the inherent power inside, and the iron back bone of the Black Widow's clearly superior skills in Web making and aesthetic appeal

It's the little things that only stand out side to side as shown here:

But seriously, I come back to a couple minor details in my call. I've seen and even killed false widows, and no matter how close they look they have never had that absolute jet black obsidian arrowhead total saturaton of pigment, their webs are totally different and don't make my soul feel like it's filled with pop rocks when I break it, and of all people are you saying that I somehow would not manage to luck out and find the only one in the entire city inches from my face half asleep and fiending for my waffle fix?

Leperflesh posted:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
On the other hand, I found a black widow (hourglass and all) in my shed with my mower, gas can, etc. a few weeks ago. :supaburn: I killed that one with brakleen and this is arriving tomorrow.:commissar:

Just saying I completely understand the "salt the motherfucking earth" reaction.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I feel like we've reached ground zero in your fear of skin conditions.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I feel like we've reached ground zero in your fear of skin conditions.

I was specifically told point blank to avoid using the word 'manifesto' as a response to me saying I could probably write a pretty loving convincing case at how Sesame Street ruined my life at four years old when Grover taught a young mind eager to find its purpose in the incredible world I saw around me when he taught me that the monster at the end was me all along.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Like I said, you're the black widow expert. I know for a fact they exist on this side of the mountains, just pretty rare as the climate is a bit cool for them, however they get brought over all the time with fresh produce and maybe the toaster had been inside recently.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Always remember: if Grover is a monster, some monsters can be good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I was specifically told point blank to avoid using the word 'manifesto' as a response to me saying I could probably write a pretty loving convincing case at how Sesame Street ruined my life at four years old when Grover taught a young mind eager to find its purpose in the incredible world I saw around me when he taught me that the monster at the end was me all along.

That book was hosed up. I always figured I was the only one.

:(:respek::(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kids' books back in the day were hosed. Where the Red Fern Grows, the View from the Cherry Tree, White Fang, and Watership Down... I think I was reading those by the age of 8 or so.

Kids were all "oh there's a muppet at the end of my book" and I was reading about a kid tripping and falling onto an axe and getting it stuck in his stomach and dying and then later one of his dogs gets disemboweled by a mountain lion and both of his dogs die. Also I'd just read Rascal so I was kind of sympathetic to the raccoons but Where the Red Fern Grows is about a kid engaging in raccoon murder for sport. Back in the day, kids books sometimes contained gruesome scenes, murder, and heavy-handed political allegory.

Maybe that's why black widows don't scare me. By the time I was seven or eight, I'd already had it drilled into me that people (OK and also dogs) are far more terrifying than bugs.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

scuz posted:

Always remember: if Grover is a monster, some monsters can be good.

I would strongly suggest not following either of these links if you don't want to discover that monsters exist and they are never good

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/04/monsters_are_always_evil

https://youtu.be/_Qu4Ass6abo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Goddamnit don't loving link to goatse

• Locked thread