Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Meanwhile in :poland:

Demonstrations are taking place all across the country against the proposed total abortion ban, which includes prison sentences for women of up to five years. The previous week, parliament reviewed two citizens' initiatives: the full ban, and a counter-initiative to liberalize abortion law. (Right now it's only legal in cases of rape, incest, danger to the woman's life or a severely damaged fetus) Predictably, the ban went on to committee and the liberalization was trashed right away.

For the past two weeks there have been protests pretty much every other day under the banner of "Black Protest", where people wear black to signify their opposition to the law. The idea was started by the Razem party, but by now it's taken on a life of its own, and now things have moved on to a "women's strike". Thousands of women are taking leave from work, some institutions and small businesses have also given women leave today or shut down for the day outright. Despite the optimistic predictions in the Independent article, it's impossible to give any numbers at the moment, since unlike the usual mass mobilizations in Warsaw, this time there are smaller protests in virtually every city. Admittedly most of those skipping work are middle-class women since they can afford it, but it should at least be statistically significant.

In completely unrelated news, a recent poll saw PiS finally drop below 30% of the vote for the first time. According to polls, the abortion ban is only supported by 11% of people and even a small majority of PiS voters think it's going too far. Funnily enough, the leadership doesn't want the law to pass because they know it'll be political suicide, but they've brought enough religious crazies into their ranks that they can't control how they vote on this. Looks like they've finally scored their first major fuckup since taking power.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

And in Hungary, the Magyars held their referendum yesterday that was basically worded something like "Do you accept the European Union's efforts to destroy our culture and put your lives at risk by forcing thousands of terrorists to live in your neighborhood? Yes or no!" Because the vote had to have 50% turnout to be valid, almost everyone who was against it boycotted the vote as a way to sabotage it, and technically that worked because turnout was a little over 40%. However, this means that well over 90% of the votes were in the "no" category, which the PM interprets as a win for his party and all of White Christian Europe. In all fairness, the referendum would have almost certainly won without the technicality rules. It's been interesting to see the build-up to the vote with the overwhelming Fidesz Party (and probably even state?)-sponsored advertisements everywhere around Budapest, and last night they even had fireworks over the Danube to celebrate their "victory." Meanwhile, the more liberal Hungarians have been mocking the process by putting up stickers all over town like this:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia, the new president has been elected by the parliament. With 81 votes out of 101, 17 against and the rest did not show up. Some far-right wingers also voted for her, the correspondence in their party mailing list (which is leaking to the press all the time) implied the reasoning being that alternatives would have been worse for them.

In September the first rounds held in parliament did not succeed, nor did the... electoral committee (that's the body that consists of MPs and representatives from municipal/parish councils and all that). Both rounds also failed there, so back to the parliament it went. Then the main contenders withdrew and it looked like we had no candidate. I might write later about who were all the other candidates, though frankly I would not have chosen any of them for various reasons. It was quite a circus anyway.
edit: wikipedia has a decent article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_presidential_election,_2016

So finally several parties put forth one Kersti Kaljulaid, who used to represent Estonia in European Court of Auditors. The media promoted her heavily, like that one letter to estonian people which delfi.ee and Postimees.ee published. Delfi.ee added all sorts of explaining editor's commentary to that which I did not like, it's like they really badly wanted her to get elected, though the people do not elect the president directly.

And she is the first female president of Estonia. I really hope that being a woman will not be the only reason she will be remembered by history.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 3, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

Meanwhile in Estonia, the new president has been elected by the parliament. With 81 votes out of 101, 17 against and the rest did not show up. Some far-right wingers also voted for her, the correspondence in their party mailing list (which is leaking to the press all the time) implied the reasoning being that alternatives would have been worse for them.

In September the first rounds held in parliament did not succeed, nor did the... electoral committee (that's the body that consists of MPs and representatives from municipal/parish councils and all that). Both rounds also failed there, so back to the parliament it went. Then the main contenders withdrew and it looked like we had no candidate. I might write later about who were all the other candidates, though frankly I would not have chosen any of them for various reasons. It was quite a circus anyway.
edit: wikipedia has a decent article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_presidential_election,_2016

So finally several parties put forth one Kersti Kaljulaid, who used to represent Estonia in European Court of Auditors. The media promoted her heavily, like that one letter to estonian people which delfi.ee and Postimees.ee published. Delfi.ee added all sorts of explaining editor's commentary to that which I did not like, it's like they really badly wanted her to get elected, though the people do not elect the president directly.

And she is the first female president of Estonia. I really hope that being a woman will not be the only reason she will be remembered by history.
Congratulations on finally going through with elections! If rest of the Baltics are anything to go by, Kaljulaid will do at least just fine, since Grybauskaitė and Vīķe-Freiberga are some of the best presidents in the histories of the respective countries.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Estonian presidential election is even more convoluted and undecipherable than that poo poo show that is the US presidential election. At least the people don't need to participate in it.

In other news, Putin has stopped a surplus plutonium disposal deal made with USA in 2000, claiming that USA hasn't done their part of the deal. Which USA denies.

...whoda thunk that we'd be back to nuclear oneupmanship this soon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37539616

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Russia will cleverly finance their war against the homonazi West by selling gas to western degenerates, who will need it to fuel their armies to defeat Russia.
Capitalists will sell you the rope with which to hang them. :ussr:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Nothing about the US pulling out of talks with Russia over Syria?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

twerking on the railroad posted:

Nothing about the US pulling out of talks with Russia over Syria?

Also canceling the nuclear weapon deal

basically we're all doomed

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nenonen posted:

In other news, Putin has stopped a surplus plutonium disposal deal made with USA in 2000, claiming that USA hasn't done their part of the deal. Which USA denies.

...whoda thunk that we'd be back to nuclear oneupmanship this soon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37539616
Nothing shows your peaceful and friendly intentions more than invading neighbouring countries, bombing hospitals and cancelling nuclear disarmament deals. But really, it will be probably used only for bargaining over Syria and I don't see US lifting sanctions or pulling out of EE because of it (unless Trump wins, then we are hosed because he will do it anyway).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guildencrantz posted:

Meanwhile in :poland:

Demonstrations are taking place all across the country against the proposed total abortion ban, which includes prison sentences for women of up to five years. The previous week, parliament reviewed two citizens' initiatives: the full ban, and a counter-initiative to liberalize abortion law. (Right now it's only legal in cases of rape, incest, danger to the woman's life or a severely damaged fetus) Predictably, the ban went on to committee and the liberalization was trashed right away.

For the past two weeks there have been protests pretty much every other day under the banner of "Black Protest", where people wear black to signify their opposition to the law. The idea was started by the Razem party, but by now it's taken on a life of its own, and now things have moved on to a "women's strike". Thousands of women are taking leave from work, some institutions and small businesses have also given women leave today or shut down for the day outright. Despite the optimistic predictions in the Independent article, it's impossible to give any numbers at the moment, since unlike the usual mass mobilizations in Warsaw, this time there are smaller protests in virtually every city. Admittedly most of those skipping work are middle-class women since they can afford it, but it should at least be statistically significant.

In completely unrelated news, a recent poll saw PiS finally drop below 30% of the vote for the first time. According to polls, the abortion ban is only supported by 11% of people and even a small majority of PiS voters think it's going too far. Funnily enough, the leadership doesn't want the law to pass because they know it'll be political suicide, but they've brought enough religious crazies into their ranks that they can't control how they vote on this. Looks like they've finally scored their first major fuckup since taking power.

There was a protest of solidarity in the center of Zagreb yesterday supporting the Polish demonstrations against the proposed total abortion ban. Protesters numbered in several hundred attendees.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and from what I heard the government stance is that it's a conspiracy by lesbians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, and from what I heard the government stance is that it's a conspiracy by lesbians.
It's a well-known fact that lesbians are turned on by aborting male babies and would do it all the time if you let them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Bored feminists and dudes that want to find easy lay. I wish I was joking :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

That Sunny in Philadelphia episode was a documentary.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

alex314 posted:

My favorite part is that he explicitly mentioned "big-city feminists" to refer to the one protest movement that actually reached the allegedly oh-so-conservative small towns. Sure, the tens of thousands of people were out in Warsaw, Krakow and Tricity, but pretty much every decently-sized town had at least a couple hundred people turn out. There were even small marches of 50-100 folks in some sleepy little provincial towns I hadn't even heard of before. Definitely a far-left event organized by all the bored radical feminist student activist SJW millennials drinking soy lattes in the hip cafes of Wejherowo, Żyrardów and Susz :rolleyes:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dwesa posted:

Nothing shows your peaceful and friendly intentions more than invading neighbouring countries, bombing hospitals and cancelling nuclear disarmament deals. But really, it will be probably used only for bargaining over Syria and I don't see US lifting sanctions or pulling out of EE because of it (unless Trump wins, then we are hosed because he will do it anyway).

No man, it's because the evil US' imperialist aggression has so scared the poor Russians that they must build more nukes, re-arm, bomb militants and stand up to our evil. This goes doubly if the hideous avatar of all wrong Hillary Clinton is elected president. Russia is only defending themselves!

Source: RT, AnonNews, True Activist.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

My favorite part is that he explicitly mentioned "big-city feminists" to refer to the one protest movement that actually reached the allegedly oh-so-conservative small towns. Sure, the tens of thousands of people were out in Warsaw, Krakow and Tricity, but pretty much every decently-sized town had at least a couple hundred people turn out. There were even small marches of 50-100 folks in some sleepy little provincial towns I hadn't even heard of before. Definitely a far-left event organized by all the bored radical feminist student activist SJW millennials drinking soy lattes in the hip cafes of Wejherowo, Żyrardów and Susz :rolleyes:

There were protests in 143 different cities and towns from what I've read and about 100,000 total participants according to police (which means the actual figure is probably several times that as the police have been, at the behest of the government, grossly underestimating official protest figures since PiS came into power).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So if I'm understanding this right, they're going through with a ridiculous abortion ban, despite the fact not only has it tanked their approval to an all time low, but polls show even the majority of their own supporters think it's too much/don't like it.

So presumably it'll get torn up by whatever government follows them?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So if I'm understanding this right, they're going through with a ridiculous abortion ban, despite the fact not only has it tanked their approval to an all time low, but polls show even the majority of their own supporters think it's too much/don't like it.

So presumably it'll get torn up by whatever government follows them?

They're probably not going to go through with it, I'm fairly convinced they're using it to further restrict abortion (i.e. they'll eliminate the law that allows abortion in the case of rape and fetal abnormalities) but will keep the provision that allows it in case of danger to the life of the mother and will call it a compromise. Its a poo poo sandwich either way. The church loves it though. Some clerical heirarchs yesterday called the protests a "Manifestation of the sick culture of death" and a prominent Catholic writer said that instead of wearing black to signify their protest they should have worn SS uniforms.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

A Pale Horse posted:

There were protests in 143 different cities and towns from what I've read and about 100,000 total participants according to police (which means the actual figure is probably several times that as the police have been, at the behest of the government, grossly underestimating official protest figures since PiS came into power).
Last time I checked, Razem estimated a bit over 140,000 total, though the number might be revised in a day or two.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Actually, the Prime Minister said to the press they have nothing to do with the abortion ban proposal, it's just a citizen project that somehow made it to the commission and they definitely aren't working on a similar one. Also, she claimed to have reprimended the Foreign Minister who ridiculed the protesters. It seems they are furiously backpedaling.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Two Czech football players were made to train with the women's team for saying that "women belong at the stove" and describing the assistant referee as "the cooker" :v:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37558116

Though in their defense, it does appear to have been a spectacularly bad call that led directly to conceding a goal in extra time so...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guildencrantz posted:

I wanna know about Poznan, although to be fair they may as well be German, right? :v:

Edit: I may be sufficiently not poo poo at Polish still to resolve this.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Anything new on this?

cyberbully posted:

And in Hungary, the Magyars held their referendum
:laffo: if they think this will make any difference, any refugees assigned to that shithole would immediately migrate to Germany and other sane countries. I guess that's just another bout of the weird trend of using referendums on random legislation as political posturing at the EU (see also: Greece, Netherlands).

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wanna know about Poznan, although to be fair they may as well be German, right? :v:

Edit: I may be sufficiently not poo poo at Polish still to resolve this.

There was a large event in Poznan. Not all went well there, as some of the protesters briefly clashed with the police. Several anarchists were arrested and released.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Arctic birds have started their fall migration to southern pastures

1. The bombers are spotted north of Norway
2. British jets shadow the planes around the west of Scotland & Ireland
3. French Rafale jets intercept the TU-160s 100km off the coast of Brittany
4. Spanish F-18 fighters pick up the bombers north of Bilbao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Context aside, just wanted to point out the TU-160 is a pretty thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pizdec posted:

Anything new on this?

Kadyrov commented "why don't I know of this? ;)" so presumably it didn't happen or it was an honest accident as he was throwing golden handgrenades for his pet tiger to fetch.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Presumably modelled after arctic tern

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was Russia breaking any airspace rules or was that all "international skies" or what ever? If so, oh well. But man I'd love to see any Russian plane shot the gently caress down the moment they illegally enter someone's airspace, so long as all legally required warnings are given.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Kadyrov commented "why don't I know of this? ;)" so presumably it didn't happen or it was an honest accident as he was throwing golden handgrenades for his pet tiger to fetch.

what happens in Grozny, stays in Grozny

Pictured: Ramzan's nephew after sudden disappearance of his cousin who is rumoured to be involved in the plot. Probably just got his hands stuck in a window, no big deal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

It's like a swole version of the B-1.

Baronjutter posted:

Was Russia breaking any airspace rules or was that all "international skies" or what ever? If so, oh well. But man I'd love to see any Russian plane shot the gently caress down the moment they illegally enter someone's airspace, so long as all legally required warnings are given.

They stay outside of the national airspace but if they aren't intercepted they have fun simulating attack approaches. It's mostly saber training but it also double as training for the pilots.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

This already happened, though it probably should occur more often.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I know bupkiss when it comes to the question of whether any of them are any good, but the Russians do seem to build the prettiest planes. The 160, Flanker and Fulcrum all look fantastic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fatherboxx posted:

what happens in Grozny, stays in Grozny

Pictured: Ramzan's nephew after sudden disappearance of his cousin who is rumoured to be involved in the plot. Probably just got his hands stuck in a window, no big deal.

To my horror, Ramzan got the attractive genes in the family.

edit: possibly by torturing the previous holder until they were relinquished

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

To my horror, Ramzan got the attractive genes in the family.

edit: possibly by torturing the previous holder until they were relinquished

Father Akhmad:

"Feck! Arse! Girls! Drink!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I read a headline today about how the total abortion ban failed?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh please oh please oh please

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

As the previous posters said, the ruling party is backpedaling hard, and it's most likely they'll drop the project or try to push through a watered-down version. The ban is political poison - support for PiS is at a new low at 29%, while the two liberal parties have 38% between the both of them. PiS likes to dismiss polls in geenral, but there's no doubt the Great Leader is pissing himself (hah!) behind the scenes at the merest chance of losing power.
The next vote will commence in about 8 hours, so we'll know more then.

However, keep in mind we've already been through this poo poo 6 months ago. Even if the thing fails to pass as it did then, there's nothing stopping the party from dipping into this well every time the ultra-conservative elements of the party or the electoral base start getting fidgety and hungry for liberal tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I know bupkiss when it comes to the question of whether any of them are any good, but the Russians do seem to build the prettiest planes. The 160, Flanker and Fulcrum all look fantastic.

I have it on good evidence from the Battlefield games that the Flanker is vastly superior to American jets: the only purpose of the F-35 is to fly to the Russian airstrip so you can commandeer their jets.