Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Adept Lancing is the greatest thing ever. The monsters basically kill themselves! Between that and Aerial Hammer I've been stomping everything I encounter.

Tell me how you get around not being able to do A-button counters, because I cannot wrap my head around a playstyle that doesn't include them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Aerial Hammer

This is the correct answer.

For anyone who might be having trouble with LR (hello newcomers!): make the Astalos hammer, the Emerald Beater. Use Aerial style and the Typhoon Trigger art. Thunder is a reliable element, and while elemental hammers aren't great, the Astalos hammer has plenty of green sharpness and great stats considering you can build it fairly early on - 120 raw, 24 thunder, 15% affinity, 1 slot, all at level 1. You can devour the rest of LR with very very few exceptions and look rad doing it. Mount -> Stun -> Repeat. Smash monsters in the face. Be sure to change all of your quick messages to space jam quotes.

It particularly destroys the crabs. You'll kill them so fast you won't even notice them limping.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 4, 2016

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Alxprit posted:

Tell me how you get around not being able to do A-button counters, because I cannot wrap my head around a playstyle that doesn't include them.

I guess doing Perfect Guards and the followup combo?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Maleh-Vor posted:

I guess doing Perfect Guards and the followup combo?

The thing about A-button counters is that you could interrupt your current triple poke with one at any time, except the end, and it's good for just hitting them in a short window and then immediately guarding an incoming attack, getting in a lot of damage really quickly. With Adept you lose that and you can only block the normal way in between pokes and it just irks me. I guess I could evade but a hop usually doesn't get me far enough away.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8mQ5VuR7uY
That looks pretty fluid.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Electric Lady posted:

Don't forget to take a look at a charm table if you haven't. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/156haG2utcNj6iGwuabx3zVl2ennVuiGg8TIL1b5-puQ/edit

The max bonuses on quite a few of the abilities are lower than they were in MH4U, so a charm may not look as good as it could be when in actuality a +5 is the best you're going to get on it.

I have, just in like 30 runs the best Ive gotten is Charmer+5 Eating -3 OO or something like that.

Making hella zenny though.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is there a good reason to run around making new weapons? I'm still village 2* and I have like 4 different dual blades.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is there a good reason to run around making new weapons? I'm still village 2* and I have like 4 different dual blades.

Dual blades and sword and shield benefit the most from elemental/status damage due to their quick hits, so you might want to have a few different ones around to take advantage of monsters' weaknesses. Aside from that there's no real reason to make a ton of stuff, it's just nice to have the options available. Plus in Gen you can power up anything to be decent in the endgame so just make/upgrade whatever you want, really.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So find the prettiest blender blades and go nuts? Got it. I will probably just figure out what swords are elemental and go for those + a favorite.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

lokipunk posted:

I have, just in like 30 runs the best Ive gotten is Charmer+5 Eating -3 OO or something like that.

Making hella zenny though.

Yeah I have poo poo luck too. All I want is a half decent Guard charm and I can get anything but that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

legoman727 posted:

So, what's the best way to make money in Generations? I'm trying to make a gunner set to try out LBG and I'm kiiinda broke.

Charms, but if you haven't completed quests, you get a cash bonus for a first time clear bonus. Coal Hearted will still be faster, with chance of good charms... but it's charm farming. Go clear some odd quests and shake things up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Your choices for making money are pretty much: charm farming if you want to be business-like, or otherwise just try to play kinda frugally. Go help some newbies or something and just pile on cash rewards for a couple dozen hunts where you barely have to use items.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I have a full Silverwind armor I've been using with Switch Axe and I wanna try a new weapon, which one would work well with that armor?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elman posted:

So I have a full Silverwind armor I've been using with Switch Axe and I wanna try a new weapon, which one would work well with that armor?

It looks like it would be a real good fit for Evade Lancing, or Greatsword if you can gem/charm Focus onto it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Elman posted:

Insect Glaive with the speed bug that gives you +30% Affinity.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Monster Hunter Stories Ride On subs use the Japanese monster names. Nerds.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Monster Hunter Stories Ride On subs use the Japanese monster names. Nerds.

Those subs are such a mixed message. They use the Japanese monster names, presumably because nobody doing the Crunchyroll subs gives a poo poo, but then they bother to localize the portmanteau "Otomon" (Partner-Monster) as "Monstie".

I like how that kid's cat is kind of condescending dick like some of the ones in MH4U, though.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

New Monster Hunter Stories trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBsc8_MmHI

It'll have a turn based battle system! Amazing!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Honestly it looks slick if nothing else, I'm still probably getting it day one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first episode of the anime was so painfully by-the-numbers, completely unimaginative kid's anime, it's got me a little worried about the game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How many people are playing generations? Thinking of pickjng it up now that I have a new 3ds and have a nub for the camera.
Whole bunch of goons are still playing around US primetime and if nobody's biting there the reddit discord has a shitton of people hunting at all hours, so long as you're willing to make round-robin rooms.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How many people are playing generations? Thinking of pickjng it up now that I have a new 3ds and have a nub for the camera.

I'm picking back up this weekend. I'll definitely come and run your low-rank stuff with you to warm back up again if we run into each other on the Discord.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm definitely down for goon hunting. I'm just not super familiar with the friend system. Do we still need to share friend codes?

I think I'm far enough along that I need to ask about how dodging works. There aren't any actual i-frames at all, right? I've been hit out if just about every dodge I've ever performed regardless of timing and it's frustrating as hell. Maybe my Dark Souls experience is throwing me off?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There are i-frames, they're just way fewer than in the souls games.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

dragon enthusiast posted:

There are i-frames, they're just way fewer than in the souls games.

I guess it's just the split second at the beginning of the dodge? Does the dodge have an animation cue or something that I can visually tell is the i-frame section?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm picking back up this weekend. I'll definitely come and run your low-rank stuff with you to warm back up again if we run into each other on the Discord.

I'm still doing 1* stuff, I want a friend, too! :buddy:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm definitely down for goon hunting. I'm just not super familiar with the friend system. Do we still need to share friend codes?

I think I'm far enough along that I need to ask about how dodging works. There aren't any actual i-frames at all, right? I've been hit out if just about every dodge I've ever performed regardless of timing and it's frustrating as hell. Maybe my Dark Souls experience is throwing me off?

You don't need Friend Codes. Monster Hunter handles matchmaking under its own system. It will check your friend codes, but you can also friend people in-game. When you generate a room, it will have a numeric ID code from the matchmaking server that you can paste into discord or whatever to let other people join. You can also put a PIN on there to keep pubs out.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Nice.

Well if you guys want another hunter when you're on I can check for you then! I have another unplayed lvl 1 baby character.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I guess it's just the split second at the beginning of the dodge? Does the dodge have an animation cue or something that I can visually tell is the i-frame section?

The Evasion+1 and Evasion+2 skills, or using Adept/Bushido style really help out with dodging in this game.

quote:

Dodging has 0.2 seconds of invincible frames by default, from the start of the roll/dodge. (6 frames)

Evade+ 1 = 0.33
Evade+ 2 = 0.4
For reference, Dark Souls 3 gives you 13 iframes with any roll under fatroll, and 12 while fat, which is more than Evade+2 gives you.

You can still learn to time it if you dodge through attacks in the direction the hitbox is moving, but generally I wouldn't really try to use my dodge to actually iframe evade through attacks unless you have evasion or are using the Adept style, especially if you're not familiar with monster timings. Use the roll to physically get out of the way of attacks that will start soon, instead. You can also use the run to do this (weapon sheathed) if you need to get further away, since you'll do this panic run when you're running away from an enemy. If you can run away, dodging while running will make you do a superman dive, which has a greatly extended iframe window. It takes a bit to get up, so it's your "Oh poo poo" move when you know you won't be able to get out of the way of something big, like a huge lazer.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Maybe my Dark Souls experience is throwing me off?

That was my problem, for sure. This game is much more deliberate, you wanna pay a lot of attention to the monsters' behavior and dodge preemptively instead of going for iframe last second dodges. You could get Evade+ and Evade distance skills to help (maybe nargacuga armor?), but really it's all about your mindset.

Well, technically you could just play Adept and Dark Souls your way through the game. I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't used to dodging though, I did that and had to relearn a lot when I realized I didn't really know how to dodge anything.

Also your run + jump move has a lot of iframes, it helps a lot when you need to dodge a Rathalos dive or whatever.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

As a bonus, the skill doesn't say it, but Constitution (of both levels, I think) allows you to do the dive-evade no matter what direction you're running in; normally, you could only do it while running anywhere except toward a monster. If you find yourself needing that dive a lot, it's very helpful so you don't have to keep note of what direction you're running in relative to the monster.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ok, sounds like I just need to treat it as if there weren't any iframes anyway. What do people do when a monster is raging and has next to no startup for multiple attacks, or has such a huge hitbox (plesioth) that if you're anywhere near then you'll get hit? I can wait out a rage but hip checks and whatnot that come out faster than you can do anything about are pretty annoying.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ok, sounds like I just need to treat it as if there weren't any iframes anyway. What do people do when a monster is raging and has next to no startup for multiple attacks, or has such a huge hitbox (plesioth) that if you're anywhere near then you'll get hit? I can wait out a rage but hip checks and whatnot that come out faster than you can do anything about are pretty annoying.

Mostly you just kinda get used to it. They still have some tells and patterns while enraged, and it's just a matter of being a lot more careful. Go for little guerrilla strikes during Rage instead of full combos, try to catch the monster at the end of its combos, and so on. The difficulty here really varies from monster to monster. You usually have enough time on the clock to wait out rages, except with incredibly angry monsters like Brachydios, potentially.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Gotcha. Specifically I wanted to start replacing bits of my HR Bujabujabu set with Rathalos parts but going at him with aerial longsword took 30 minutes. Managed to break both wings, face and tail cut but between his constant raging and flying multiple zones away it took way too long.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Elman posted:

play Adept and Dark Souls your way through the game

Yes, do this

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Typically you want to attempt to position yourself such that you are always able to avoid the hitbox. And weapons with a lovely shield (GS) are still way preferable than eating a full attack.

e: aerial style has trouble against rathalos since his flight mode tends to be just out of reach of your hop. Also the i-frames on the aerial hop are different than the normal roll and occur just as you finish the front flip and your feet go upright

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 5, 2016

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
When I was starting out back in MHFU, I would just run away for the whole time Tigrex was enraged. Yay 45+ minute hunts! You get the hang of it eventually, as was mentioned, and it just comes down to being a lot more careful and never overextending, which is kind of the whole point of this game, even more so than in Dark Souls. Having to run a couple minutes from a bonfire to the fog gate is very different to having beat a monster to within an inch of their life for 20 minutes, getting greedy with a heal and getting carted for the third time for your trouble.

Don't be afraid to leave the zone the monster is in if you need a breather, either. Usually if I need to sharpen and the monster is enraged and just being an rear end in a top hat, I still zone out to heal up, top off my stamina, and resharpen. Dust yourself off, do a little prancing or fist pumping, and get back in the ring.

Oh and if you have something like an enraged Rathalos being a jerk, remember to bring flash bombs. Those knock him right out of the air if you can pop one in front of him while he's flying.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Option 1: Use a Bow/Bowgun

Option 2: With enough practice you'll have a good idea of what you can get away with when a monster is pissed. I forget the name of the armor skill but there's one that gives you an affinity boost when a monster rages. gently caress Plesioth forever.

Option 3: AERIAL HAMMER

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Aerial anything allows you to jump over pretty much anything but the biggest monsters. The hitboxes are usually sky-high for the older monsters (gently caress you Nargacuga) but in general if I see an attack coming I can jump to the other side of whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Maleh-Vor posted:

I wouldn't really try to use my dodge to actually iframe evade through attacks unless you have evasion or are using the Adept style, especially if you're not familiar with monster timings. Use the roll to physically get out of the way of attacks that will start soon, instead.

Strongly recommend against this. It is a really bad habit that will get you punished more often than not, especially when you're somewhat familiar with a monster.

Get a Lance, and take the time to practice side-stepping through attacks. Tail spins in particular are really easy to i-frame through with a lance.

But like anything. Take it slow and be deliberate. So long as you learn something, even an outright quest failure is still growth/progression. Frustrating, but progression.

• Locked thread