Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

All road laws should be subserviant to "safely operating the motor vehicle". Even if a driver was following "all the laws" and hit a cyclist who was doing whatever drivers whine about, the driver still wasn't operating the vehicle safely if they weren't being cautious.

If Bryant had done this while behind another motor vehicle, he'd have been considered too close and would have been at fault according to any sensible insurance adjuster. By hitting that cyclist the way he did, he was already too close but because it was a cyclist, there is a certain group of people who have a bit of damage in the part of their brain that deals with reason when it comes to people on bicycles and because of that logic goes right out the window.

It doesn't matter if the dipshit cyclist was intoxicated or being beligerant, it matters that Bryant, a Harvard Law-educated individual, could not keep his composure and deal with this like a sensible human being. Driving purposely into trees and mailboxes is not how to deal with this and it was Bryant's fault that Sheppard fell off, hit a hydrant, and was knocked out cold.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/taxi-driver-dragged-video-1.3357166

Oh no. My glass windows are going to break because of this angry taxi driver. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tagesschau posted:

Are you posting from the alternate universe where it's legal to reach into someone's car, assault them, and grab their steering wheel, and they aren't permitted to do anything about it?

You're really killing it with the bad takes lately

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

All road laws should be subserviant to "safely operating the motor vehicle". Even if a driver was following "all the laws" and hit a cyclist who was doing whatever drivers whine about, the driver still wasn't operating the vehicle safely if they weren't being cautious.

It's still a matter of judgement. Unless you believe that cyclists can and should never be at fault for any accident, which is complete nonsense.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not talking about this case, just in general.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaking of idiots from Calgary

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

OSI bean dip posted:

If Bryant had done this while behind another motor vehicle, he'd have been considered too close and would have been at fault according to any sensible insurance adjuster. By hitting that cyclist the way he did, he was already too close but because it was a cyclist, there is a certain group of people who have a bit of damage in the part of their brain that deals with reason when it comes to people on bicycles and because of that logic goes right out the window.
Bryant appears to have operated his vehicle improperly, probably negligently (if he was cranking the starter without looking up, as he said), the first two times his car made contact with Sheppard and/or his bicycle. That doesn't attach to what happens once Sheppard grabs the side of the car.

OSI bean dip posted:

It doesn't matter if the dipshit cyclist was intoxicated or being beligerant, it matters that Bryant, a Harvard Law-educated individual, could not keep his composure and deal with this like a sensible human being. Driving purposely into trees and mailboxes is not how to deal with this and it was Bryant's fault that Sheppard fell off, hit a hydrant, and was knocked out cold.

This is exactly wrong; it absolutely matters whether Sheppard was assaulting Bryant. If someone is assaulting you and you cannot get away from them, you are allowed to make them stop, even if that requires lethal force. This is not difficult to understand.

THC posted:

You're really killing it with the bad takes lately

Describing what some people in this thread are actually saying is now a "bad take."

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This happened in Metro Vancouver earlier this week.

The latter flyer is being done by a group that involves the dipshit activist in this article.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
As an FYI, if you want to doxx them, they are making mistakes

https://www.facebook.com/PuttingCanadaFirst/photos/a.219121178298770.1073741828.210871219123766/507860072758211/?type=3&permPage=1
https://www.facebook.com/PuttingCanadaFirst/photos/a.219121178298770.1073741828.210871219123766/530470930497125/?type=3&permPage=1

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

That is Kerry for certain in the second shot.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

I'll allow it.

Anything that will scare the poo poo out of fuerdai from coming here is good imo.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The thing about Michael Bryant is in addition to murdering someone with his car and getting away with it, he didn't even go through the routine humiliations that a normal person would experience after another human being died due to their operation of heavy machinery. The cops let him go home and shower and clean himself up before he ever set foot in a court.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

The thing about Michael Bryant is in addition to murdering someone with his car and getting away with it, he didn't even go through the routine humiliations that a normal person would experience after another human being died due to their operation of heavy machinery. The cops let him go home and shower and clean himself up before he ever set foot in a court.

But you see it involved a cyclist so all the rules were thrown out the window for that reason and that reason alone.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OSI bean dip posted:

Of course it matters if the cyclist was drunk and belligerant, at least as far as the charge of dangerous driving causing death. What are you, an idiot?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rust Martialis posted:

Of course it matters if the cyclist was drunk and belligerant, at least as far as the charge of dangerous driving causing death. What are you, an idiot?

Not every driver gets the luxury of going home after killing someone with their car to sober up and come up with an explanation to their erratic, idiotic behaviour.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Helsing posted:

He was taken to the station, booked, and held overnight until being charged the next day. He was then released. This is apparently the normal process for someone with no record who is not considered a flight risk under similar circumstances. (see pp 46-47 of the pdf) The prosecutor says he made the call based on asking police what normal procedure was.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Not every driver gets the luxury of going home after killing someone with their car to sober up and come up with an explanation to their erratic, idiotic behaviour.

He didn't get to go home, he was booked and held.

Also the only one in the entire incident who was erratic and idiotic was the cyclist, from all reports.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
It's okay to defend a Harvard Law graduate who killed a cyclist with his car because he's a dumbass because rationality goes out the window when it involves cyclists.
:goonsay:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I was in the US this week *travelling on business* and a cab driver was telling me all about how canadians have the best prime minister, he's read all about him in the huffington post and how canadians are the nicest people in the world. I totally forgot that we're the second biggest arms exporter to the middle east and our government's officially policy is just a global gently caress You Got Mine, that would have been perfect. I feel like a failure to the thread that I couldn't blast off 5 reasons canadians are horrible just right off the top of my head.

quote:

The Liberal government shot down an NDP motion Tuesday that sought to create a House of Commons committee examining Canadian arms exports, as it continues to defend a controversial, $15-billion deal with Saudi Arabia.

The party positioning itself as the “progressive opposition” is still fighting. As of Tuesday morning, the NDP had garnered 2,300 signatures on a petition launched last week that asked supporters to “tell Ottawa to put lives before profits.”

“Canada is now the second-largest exporter of arms to the Middle East, including to countries with a clear record of violence against their own citizens,” the petition says. “New Democrats are fighting for greater oversight and tougher rules to ensure Canadian-made weapons are never used to crush dissent or harm civilians.”

But the Liberal government has tried to position itself in the middle ground, saying the sale of light-armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia is a job creator, despite reports indicating the Saudis have used similar vehicles against dissidents.

NDP MP Hélène Laverdière’s motion Thursday had asked parliament to recognize that Canadians “expect a high standard from their government when it comes to protecting human rights abroad,” and “are concerned by arms sales to countries with a record of human rights abuses, including Saudi Arabia, Libya and Sudan.”

Laverdière said a parliamentary committee could help oversee current and future arms sales, and the use of those weapons abroad — not just scrutinize one deal with the Saudis.

“The Liberal government has promised to be open and transparent. This is an opportunity to be open and transparent on an issue about which Canadians care,” she said during debate.

The Liberal parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs, Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, said “while we welcome the member’s concerns for human rights, transparent processes, and strong arms controls, we are disappointed by the disregard for tens of thousands of Canadians’ livelihoods.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-saudi-lav-deal

How is selling them weapons "the middle ground"? What is to the right of selling an islamofascist monarchy weapons? You can't just do what the conservatives were doing but call it middle ground. Well you obviously can but holy drat it's annoying that people seem to believe it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

It's okay to defend a Harvard Law graduate who killed a cyclist with his car because he's a dumbass because rationality goes out the window when it involves cyclists.

Well it certainly is missing from your posting on the topic.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Killing a shitdick cyclist should win you the Order of Canada, the histrionic poo poo-posting it inspires, The Giller.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Enough about sociopaths and their inability to recognize what vehicular manslaughter looks like, it looks like someone has benefited from the Phoenix nonsense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/55z7e9/i_left_the_government_but_theyre_still_paying_me/

quote:

Because Phoenix, I'm still getting a paycheque for my job that I no longer work at, and will continue to receive direct deposits for the foreseeable future. Adds up to a little over $3000 a month.

Obviously I can't run out and buy a new car with this money since they'll want it back eventually, but I figure I can invest the money and then return it when the pay system is running properly and they ask for the money back.

Right now I'm putting it in a high-interest savings account, but that's only netting me about $4 a month. Is there anything that will perform better, but still allow the flexibility to take the money to return at a moment's notice when the time comes?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

jfood posted:

Killing a shitdick cyclist should win you the Order of Canada, the histrionic poo poo-posting it inspires, The Giller.

Once the stories about Sheppard's history came out, there was about zero chance of a conviction for anything. If Bryant had been some nobody driving a Saab, and hadn't been a media circus about it there might have been a chance to convict.

As a cyclist in Toronto, we do need better laws and more protection from insane drivers, but making an guy who got drunk and screamed at, spat on and attacked drivers on the reg is a bad loving strategy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Enough about sociopaths and their inability to recognize what vehicular manslaughter looks like,

:ironicat:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow shut the gently caress up about Ontario and go beat off a moose in your ~cottage~ already no one cares

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

Enough about sociopaths and their inability to recognize what vehicular manslaughter looks like, it looks like someone has benefited from the Phoenix nonsense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/55z7e9/i_left_the_government_but_theyre_still_paying_me/

This is happening to a lot of people. Students in particular. They take months to pay you but then they overpay you by a lot.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
lmao

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/rempel-slams-big-oilpatch-players-for-carbon-tax-support

quote:

Conservative MP Michelle Rempel is taking aim at some of the country’s biggest energy companies over their support for a carbon tax.

"Guys you're ruining our attack lines!!!!11!!!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We are pro business, unless they do something we disagree with.

also, all the people threatening to disconnect their Telus service.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I was in the US this week *travelling on business* and a cab driver was telling me all about how canadians have the best prime minister, he's read all about him in the huffington post and how canadians are the nicest people in the world. I totally forgot that we're the second biggest arms exporter to the middle east and our government's officially policy is just a global gently caress You Got Mine, that would have been perfect. I feel like a failure to the thread that I couldn't blast off 5 reasons canadians are horrible just right off the top of my head.

How is selling them weapons "the middle ground"? What is to the right of selling an islamofascist monarchy weapons? You can't just do what the conservatives were doing but call it middle ground. Well you obviously can but holy drat it's annoying that people seem to believe it.
They sure went from dialogue to power addicts in a hurry. No parliamentary oversight of weapons sales? How is that a bad thing? Seems quite pragmatic.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol

You think University of Calgary would like their logo to be attributed to that?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

NDP MP Hélène Laverdière’s motion Thursday had asked parliament to recognize that Canadians “expect a high standard from their government when it comes to protecting human rights abroad,” and “are concerned by arms sales to countries with a record of human rights abuses, including Saudi Arabia, Libya and Sudan.”

Hélène :swoon:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Rust Martialis posted:

He was taken to the station, booked, and held overnight until being charged the next day. He was then released. This is apparently the normal process for someone with no record who is not considered a flight risk under similar circumstances. (see pp 46-47 of the pdf) The prosecutor says he made the call based on asking police what normal procedure was.

He was released without a bail hearing on his own recognizance and came out of the police station in a fresh suit and tie, already prepped to begin the long PR process of explaining to the media why it was regrettable necessity for him to accelerate his car into a human being.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Couldn't he have just rolled up the window? There were other alternatives to flooring it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

Couldn't he have just rolled up the window? There were other alternatives to flooring it.

He had a convertable and chose to push the cyclist off with his car instead of with his hands.

Helsing posted:

He was released without a bail hearing on his own recognizance and came out of the police station in a fresh suit and tie, already prepped to begin the long PR process of explaining to the media why it was regrettable necessity for him to accelerate his car into a human being.

But he was being beligerant so he deserved death.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

He had a convertable and chose to push the cyclist off with his car instead of with his hands.

We get it, you can't win the legal argument so you're playing 'petulant child'.

Basically you just want Bryant punished, regardless of the facts. You picked a lovely case to make a stand on is all. You're not interested in laws or facts, so you just make dumb emotive appeals.

Maybe next time defend a guy who doesn't regularly attack strangers in passing cars?

Just admit you aren't even remotely interested in the actual legal issues and move on.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rust Martialis posted:

We get it, you can't win the legal argument so you're playing 'petulant child'.

Basically you just want Bryant punished, regardless of the facts. You picked a lovely case to make a stand on is all. You're not interested in laws or facts, so you just make dumb emotive appeals.

Maybe next time defend a guy who doesn't regularly attack strangers in passing cars?

Just admit you aren't even remotely interested in the actual legal issues and move on.

Basically you've come to the conclusion that since he's a Harvard grad and has lots of money he deserves to get off because the cyclist was belligerent and deserved to be thrown at a fire hydrant and killed. Nothing suspicious at all about him being able to walk out of jail the next morning looking fresh as a daisy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Basically you've come to the conclusion that since he's a Harvard grad and has lots of money he deserves to get off because the cyclist was belligerent and deserved to be thrown at a fire hydrant and killed. Nothing suspicious at all about him being able to walk out of jail the next morning looking fresh as a daisy.

Nope. The Crown noted that given Sheppard's history of attacking people and drivers, including beating a homeless man with his bike lock earlier that night, that Bryant's obvious claim of justification (i.e. 'self-defense') as a defense was pretty much a slam-dunk.

You just can't deal with the facts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Being a dick to people on public justifies murdering you in the streets but only if you're on a bicycle.

If the guy gets off the bike and stands in an empty bus with a knife, do i get to murder two people or can I just run over him twice?

Serious post: did Bryant know his history at that time, and if so, how?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rust Martialis posted:

Nope. The Crown noted that given Sheppard's history of attacking people and drivers, including beating a homeless man with his bike lock earlier that night, that Bryant's obvious claim of justification (i.e. 'self-defense') as a defense was pretty much a slam-dunk.

You just can't deal with the facts.

Self-defence is not driving people into mailboxes and trees and then having their head slammed into a fire hydrant.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Self-defence is not driving people into mailboxes and trees and then having their head slammed into a fire hydrant.

You're wrong as a matter of law, did you notice that yet?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
congratulations everyone on defending a real life mr burns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Akpyxt1iJM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if I knock on someones window and yell at them for parking in a bike lane, is that over or under the line for vehicular manslaughter as self defence? just wanna check with the legal experts itt