Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Alpha Protocol's plot isn't actually very flexible. At best it slots in different people in certain areas but you'll follow the same basic pattern. The devil is in the details there but at the end of the day you're still following the same basic structure.

I mean don't get me wrong it's REALLY good at what it does but you're changing the details of how things play out instead of changing what plays out more or less.

the big game that i can remember that really changes based on choice was witcher 2 and their accountants probably weren't happy that they made a whole extra chapter that single run players wouldn't ever see but it was pretty loving sweet imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wonder if things would have naturally reached this point without cheevos being an easy metric to show exactly how much of and what parts of a game are being played

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wrex will remember that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

i wonder if things would have naturally reached this point without cheevos being an easy metric to show exactly how much of and what parts of a game are being played

yeah if i was a trophy allocation officer or whatever for a developer i'd only make them for doing goofy poo poo like triggering glitches etc.
getting a prize for playing a game normally is more frustrating to me than even chasing after all the meaningless prizes for doing all the filler content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Game developers have always done this, it's just that instant metrics make it a lot easier to figure out exactly what is worth doing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ImpAtom posted:

Game developers have always done this, it's just that instant metrics make it a lot easier to figure out exactly what is worth doing.

how? games don't really upload information like that do they? especially console games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

how? games don't really upload information like that do they? especially console games

It depends. Before achievements they would actually ask players directly (which they still do like Ubisoft's "rate this mission" thing, it's just easier to widespread metric) but they also had other methods. Companies would actually pay attention to help line calls and magazine write-ins for example to see what people got stuck on/disliked/ect and where people seemed to leave off the game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

They absolutely do. This article shows how finely grained they can get.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wonder if this is why almost every Ubi game has had serious loading issues while connected online recently or if that's just another, different thing they excel at

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Ubi are the kings of overhead but even your lovely indie game can use telemetry if you want. It's just a thing everyone does now.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

We're now getting mods in Skyrim and FO4 so that's neat.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/5/13177296/fallout-4-ps4-mods-confirmed-skyrim-special-edition-ps4-pro-4k-support

Bethesda posted:

You will not be able to upload external assets with your PlayStation 4 mods, but you will be able to use any assets that come with the game, as most mods do.
This part seems like a bummer though

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

omg chael crash posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/5/13177296/fallout-4-ps4-mods-confirmed-skyrim-special-edition-ps4-pro-4k-support

That's actually a really impressive compromise. Surprised someone thought of it and it was considered.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omg chael crash posted:

macho man's likeness and voice were never going to get into ps4 skyrim so its not even disappointing since that's the only mod worth having and it was already impossible

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The new call of duty is 130gb lol

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is that both games or just Infinite Warfare because holy poo poo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I genuinely have no idea how it's that big. Modern Warfare HD is something like 10 gigs and PS4 Blu-rays are like 60.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mw is 30 of it i heard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ignoring all of the things that are stupid about that, that's well over 1/4th of a stock ps4 or xbox hard drive

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 single player campaigns + 2 multiplayer modes + zombies + patches

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol that's almost 3 times my monthly bandwidth limit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
But why would you need any other game when you have CALL OF DUTY!?

until next year, at least

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine downloading this through PSN :allbuttons:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If its only one disc so you will have to download at least 80GB of that over PSN lol

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Thats only a 3 hour download for me, but what should I delete to make room?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Have they actually said anything yet about Modern Warfare HD getting released separately, or is it still tied to Infinite Warfare?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

iastudent posted:

Have they actually said anything yet about Modern Warfare HD getting released separately, or is it still tied to Infinite Warfare?

the latter

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Still tied to Infinite Warfare, you'll even need to keep the disc in the console to play it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, they want you to buy Infinite Warfare deluxe edition so pony up bitch.

Sammus posted:

Thats only a 3 hour download for me, but what should I delete to make room?

Same, also get a 2TB so you can have every game!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

iastudent posted:

You definitely wouldn't want to get it on disc, they've realised some people would just sell on the new space marine nonsense and keep the remaster, so they've now made it that you need to have the IW disc in the machine to play MW. Sneaky buggers.

It is getting a separate release at some point though. How far out... well...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That would actually take me two weeks to download, good god

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Policenaut posted:

I genuinely have no idea how it's that big. Modern Warfare HD is something like 10 gigs and PS4 Blu-rays are like 60.

Bioshock Collection comes on two discs. Maybe the first to do that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Parkingtigers posted:

You definitely wouldn't want to get it on disc, they've realised some people would just sell on the new space marine nonsense and keep the remaster, so they've now made it that you need to have the IW disc in the machine to play MW. Sneaky buggers.

It is getting a separate release at some point though. How far out... well...

by march no doubt

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they want you to buy Infinite Warfare deluxe edition so pony up bitch.
can't wait until they release it separately and give it away for free on Plus in a year or two

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PSN maxes out my connection, which is only around 11MB/s, but still.

Are you using wifi? Wire it up and stop doing that.

I'm just throwing out a random idea, because I've actually seen this a few times - if you have one wire ran to your entertainment center, buy an 8 port (not 4 port - you'll outgrow it fast) switch and put that behind the entertainment center. Then wire your xbox/ps4/ps3/receiver/media player from that switch. You don't have to run 5 wires for 5 devices, just one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus gently caress some of you have some god-awful internet, to the point where I'm surprised you're keeping tabs on this thread which is ostensibly for download-only products. Out of curiosity, have you been using the list of patch sizes I threw together a while back? If it's any consolation I have gigabit internet and PSN still takes way longer than it should to download things. :argh: I get maybe 70 megabits/second if things are in really good shape but I get 50 megaBYTES per second from Steam, so fast installing to a spinny disk is actually a major bottleneck. And PSN connectivity can still be annoyingly capricious, download of MW Remastered took something like 5 hours for me when Witcher 3 on Steam, slightly bigger, went from downloaded to fully installed and ready to launch in 13 minutes flat.

130 gigs might be a bit on the high side but not necessarily by that much, especially if they're putting the "install size" assuming you get all the map pack DLC; the campaign-only version of Modern Warfare Remastered (which is available now if you bought a more expensive IW edition through PSN or pre-ordered the corresponding physical PS4 release from the right store) is 41 gigs (it's possible the multiplayer data is there but inaccessible), and currently Black Ops 3 is 84.28 gigs with all the patches and content DLC, so having MW1 Remastered and Black Ops 3 is already over 125 gigs currently. That said, size indications on packaging are a bit all over the place and don't always mean much, especially since games this gen have a habit of changing pretty significantly; Destiny changed so much in a mandatory-to-play fashion via patches that Activision was legally bound to send PS3 owners free hard drive upgrades if they mainly played from a 20 gig PS3 since the patches broke past that size being viable even if it was the only game installed.

Based on the claims that you'll need IW ownership to play Modern Warfare Remastered and knowing what I know about how the PS4 validates disc ownership, I'm pretty sure Modern Warfare Remastered is, for lack of a better term, an in-IW-game-menu game mode a la zombies, and essentially treated as a separate DLC pack, with the more expensive IW editions getting a code for it and maybe the vanilla IW buyers will have an option to buy it as a $20 add-on at launch or something.

Note that while people who pre-order a physical IW legacy or deluxe version from the right stores get sent a code for early access, that downloaded version only works until the full game releases Nov 4th or whatever, and then becomes dead weight that has to be deleted and replaced with a new version to re-download. This is a fun gen.

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 6, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I pay AU$80 a month for <6mbps with a 500gb quota. Light rain knocks the connection out. Australia's internet is actively worse than third world countries and all efforts to fix that have been billion dollar disasters that two different governments have hosed into the ground.

I keep tabs on this thread because hey guess loving what, it's the only way to get a large swathe of games now and we're only moving closer towards it being the only way at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I pay AU$80 a month for <6mbps with a 500gb quota. Light rain knocks the connection out. Australia's internet is actively worse than third world countries and all efforts to fix that have been billion dollar disasters that two different governments have hosed into the ground.

I keep tabs on this thread because hey guess loving what, it's the only way to get a large swathe of games now and we're only moving closer towards it being the only way at all.

Point taken. That's rough. And I figured if better options existed you'd be on them.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Plenty of people who live outside of major metro areas just do not have any good options for affordable high-speed internet. And so do plenty of people who do live in major metro areas, for that matter. The average US broadband subscriber's download speed is about 55 Mbps.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

univbee posted:

Point taken. That's rough. And I figured if better options existed you'd be on them.

Pretty much. poo poo sucks extra bad because one company owns like 80℅ of the country's copper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Things can be random even then. My fastest internet option at my old place in a city of 3.6 million was slower than the one included in the basic internet package at my mom's place in a city of 2000 people. And I have gigabit internet now from moving to a city of 50k. Go figure.

• Locked thread