Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Butt the great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

Butt the great.

My name is Cnut and you came up with Butt? Hell, they don't even rhyme.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Oh I thought the c was silent.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Reminder that the question of the personhood of robots is well-trod ground and doesn't enhance the prequels one whit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

same.

Disney should make their own separate prequel trilogy after the sequel trilogy. I want to see the arguments it would cause.

Well if they are like TFA the prequels don't have to worry. They are way better quality than TFA.

Let's see what the next two movies are like I guess.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I know think droids are sentient people. Thanks, thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Which was what? No snark just curious and trying to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJ6CzG9zVc

The whole clip is really interesting but skip to about 3:30 for the relevant part.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

Reminder that the question of the personhood of robots is well-trod ground and doesn't enhance the prequels one whit.

Ah, the good old "This didn't happen but if it did it doesn't matter" argument.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJ6CzG9zVc

The whole clip is really interesting but skip to about 3:30 for the relevant part.

Ripped wholesale from Hidden Fortress.

George Lucas is a genius!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Ripped wholesale from Hidden Fortress.

George Lucas is a genius!
That's what's funny about this though. Droids as people is like the most basic sci-fi concept ever, and it definitely doesn't take a genius to use it. You can acknowledge that droids are people and still think Lucas is a hack.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is a certain class of fan who can be caused to insist on obviously false things, if you just suggest that it being true would mean something is good about the Star Wars prequels.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I liked the prequel trilogy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cnut the Great posted:

My eyes glazed over halfway into that post due to the lack of formatting but this part

just isn't true unless your only exposure to these things was via the skewed presentation of them in the RLM reviews.

I think this comes from one of two things: seeing how Lucas refers to the Jedi and the Republic as good organizations and either failing to notice or deliberately ignoring how Lucas also discusses how the movies are about these institutions failing, or else believing that its impossible for good organizations and good people to make mistakes (or, at least not mistakes of this magnatude).

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

Me too. I also liked TFA and think Rogue One looks cool. Im happy theres going to be a lot more star wars movies

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm not, I'm just so tired of all these star wars

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Friendly Humour posted:

That's cool. I honestly have no ill will towards anyone that likes 'em. My only issues is, is when they 'force' their love for them on you.

"Hey, I don't really like the prequels. They're kind of bad movies to me."

"But they're good though."

Those peeps suck some serious poo poo. Accept on both sides. Droids are people. Be one with the force.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Calaveron posted:

I'm not, I'm just so tired of all these star wars

A+ post/reference.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was 10 when The Phantom Menace came out and it was the most amazing poo poo ever. Still rewatch from time to time smoking huge bowls full of weeD!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

I was 10 when The Phantom Menace came out and it was the most amazing poo poo ever. Still rewatch from time to time smoking huge bowls full of weeD!

Same here bro. I was 9 and it's probably my favorite of the prequels. But then again that's like being forced to choose your favorite ex. Kind of a silly exercise.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Same here bro. I was 9 and it's probably my favorite of the prequels. But then again that's like being forced to choose your favorite ex. Kind of a silly exercise.

How would you know anything about chooseing your favourite ex? Weird

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

computer parts posted:

Ah, the good old "This didn't happen but if it did it doesn't matter" argument.

See, this kind of thing is why this is thread is just so great and so complex in its awfulness.

1. A group of ostensible adults have declared their love of and allegiance to the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers.
2. They justify this in terms of a theory about Robo-Racism that they made up and which they talk about interminably at extreme length.
3. They are incessantly smug about the intellectual inferiority and dishonesty of people who do not believe in the Robo-Racism theory in the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers, or consider it irrelevant to the quality of the movie.
4. They appear to feel and claim genuine moral superiority and righteousness for denouncing the use of and alleged discrimination against pretend comical robots in the far background of Jamaica Frog and the Boredom Twins Meet the Slanteyes From Space

It's just an intensely fascinating look into the capacity for human idiocy and I am fine to pay reregs as a sort of zoo membership

Vegg220 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Serf posted:

Always fun to see people agreeing with Tezzor, who, when cornered, accused their opponents of having autism.

I'm glad you could tear yourself away from writing thousands of words about the humanity of irrelevant pretend robots in a children's film to get mad at the assumption that you might be on the autism spectrum

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Cnut the Great posted:

My eyes glazed over halfway into that post due to the lack of formatting but this part

just isn't true unless your only exposure to these things was via the skewed presentation of them in the RLM reviews.

Throughout these threads I've personally posted heaps upon heaps of quotes and behind-the-scenes material that support many of the suppositions made about the prequels (and the original movies!) in this thread. As usual, the opposing side of the argument doesn't really have anything, except to vaguely dismiss all that without going into cogent detail as to why it should be dismissed, or else just posting videos of Lucas drinking coffee or looking at a monitor and going, "SEE?! SEE!?"

And yeah, it doesn't matter if everything was intentional if you just didn't like the way it was done. No kidding.

Actually, I listened to both commentary tracks on every film and took notes. Would you like for me to post my extensive summary of what they said again, because I assure you, the notion that these films were intentionally written as subversive deconstructions of something is just some poo poo you made up when your mind shattered trying to find something to like about these films you remember being so great as a dim sixth grader

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah, greetings

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A fun exercise is to locate the previous thread, and compare what people in this thread are arguing about this week in October 2016, to what they were arguing about one year earlier, the same week in October of 2015.

It's often the exact same arguments, and the exact same people involved. Not just "Droids, people or not?" but everything. All of it.

I have little doubt that all of the CD Star Wars threads in the history of the site are the same.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vegg220 posted:

See, this kind of thing is why this is thread is just so great and so complex in its awfulness.

1. A group of ostensible adults have declared their love of and allegiance to the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers.
2. They justify this in terms of a theory about Robo-Racism that they made up and which they talk about interminably at extreme length.
3. They are incessantly smug about the intellectual inferiority and dishonesty of people who do not believe in the Robo-Racism theory in the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers, or consider it irrelevant to the quality of the movie.
4. They appear to feel and claim genuine moral superiority and righteousness for denouncing the use of and alleged discrimination against pretend comical robots in the far background of Jamaica Frog and the Boredom Twins Meet the Slanteyes From Space

It's just an intensely fascinating look into the capacity for human idiocy and I am fine to pay reregs as a sort of zoo membership

OK Tezzor.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I can't believe that Tezzor is consistently dropping money to come back and display their complete lack of critical thinking skills.

Vegg220 posted:

I'm glad you could tear yourself away from writing thousands of words about the humanity of irrelevant pretend robots in a children's film to get mad at the assumption that you might be on the autism spectrum

Great job on being an ableist fuckwad, Tezzor.

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Prolonged Priapism posted:

People have already pointed out how the ships in particular and the overall "cleanliness" of the whole galaxy evolves over time, this is conscious and well done art direction. If the art directions isn't excellent, what is it? Bad? I'd love examples of that.

I agree that that would be interesting art direction, had it happened. Here's what actually happened: the prequels had the same design sensibility and "cleanliness" throughout the films. There was no coherent evolution of design and no general decrease in "cleanliness." Then, in the second half of the third act of the last movie, out of nowhere the sets for two locations have kind of the original aesthetic. If anything the aesthetic gets cleaner and less junky after Phantom Menace as Lucas spent less time on Tattooine and decided to shoot everything on a green screen. If you got fooled by half-assedly cramming the OT designs onto the Republic ship and the destroyer bridge you have to be some kind of idiot

Vegg220 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Serf posted:

I can't believe that Tezzor is consistently dropping money to come back and display their complete lack of critical thinking skills.

Great job on being an ableist fuckwad, Tezzor.

Take a shower you gross bitch

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

They can't even frantically half-rear end it right. Here we are at the end of the movie. Wow! It looks just like the original aesthetics, what with its smooth shiny cartoon droids and its multicolored floating holographic information displays everywhere

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's your opinion on the CGI? I'd love to hear more.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Tezzor do u think other ppl are the ones looking bad when you keep creating accounts exclusively to argue about Star Wars?

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Hat Thoughts posted:

Tezzor do u think other ppl are the ones looking bad when you keep creating accounts exclusively to argue about Star Wars?

Yes, as the amount of money is trivial to me and as stated I can't find this kind of lunacy anywhere else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Vegg220 posted:

and as stated I can't find this kind of lunacy anywhere else

Maybe you should turn your monitor on :grin:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait are there people who seriously don't believe droids are people?

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Lord Hydronium posted:

Just wanted to say I agree with everything here.

TPM is my favorite of the prequels for a number of reasons. One big one is the way it takes all those elements that are fundamentally "Star Wars" and makes something that's both familiar and original. Every part of the movie feeds into this.

The characters are in many ways the archetypes that have been around since the OT: the proud royal, the wizened mentor, the spunky kid from the desert wilderness. But they're not the same as the OT characters. It would be easy, for example, to make a "prequel Han Solo", and I know many people think it would make a better movie. But instead we get Jar Jar, who's still a self-interested everyman convinced to join the fight for good, but of a very different sort. And Qui-Gon isn't Obi-Wan, and Padme isn't Leia, and Anakin sure as hell isn't Luke. Obi-Wan is one of the few familiar faces, and even he's almost entirely different from his OT incarnation. And these aren't just superficial differences, but fundamental to where their character arcs go.

The plot is the same way. On the surface, it's a very basic fight of a bunch of underdogs teaming up to save the good guy planet from the bad men. But just below the surface - and I mean just, like you really only have to watch the other movies to get this, it's not even subtle - you have the fact that at the end the biggest winner is Palpatine, and those Senate scenes that "everyone" hates where they call for a vote of no confidence is probably the single most important one in the movie. The causes of Anakin's fall are all right there, waiting to be triggered. There are big, big gently caress-ups on the part of the characters that need to wait a few movies before they go off, so everything is left with the appearance of a victory even though things are about to collapse.

It's in the setting - the worlds are a mix of wildly different from anything we've seen in Star Wars (Coruscant) to the most used planet in the saga (Tatooine), but even the latter is set in a new location with new sides of life on the planet visible (slavery, podracing). It's in the art design. It's in the music.

Basically, TPM is Star Wars as gently caress, and I love it for the same reasons I love the other movies and the franchise as a whole - it's exciting, it's fun, it captures a spirit of adventure, and it's a big, big story that manages to be about little people. And TPM, and the prequels as a whole, are a fresh new take on it.

The thing that I really want to get across is, this isn't just an intellectual appreciation. I can pick apart certain elements like I did, but those are all just elaborations on my gut emotional reaction. I just enjoy TPM, and the prequels, on a fundamental level as movies. There's only so many ways you can say that by itself without getting boring and repetitive, though, which is why people go into deeper analyses. It's interesting to talk and read about, which is more than you can say for Tezzor's millionth rant about why everyone else needs to hate what he does.

The thing I find the most exciting about these fun movies with the spirit of adventure isn't the part where the boring people speak in monotone while sitting in front of a green tarp, it's the part where the dumbass gets tricked by dracula into murdering a bunch of children and everybody dies

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Now this is poo poo posting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegg220 posted:

Actually, I listened to both commentary tracks on every film and took notes. Would you like for me to post my extensive summary of what they said again,

Sure, knock yourself out.

For what it's worth I don't think the films are a "subversive deconstruction," but merely a story about good people making bad decisions and the consequences.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegg220 posted:

The thing I find the most exciting about these fun movies with the spirit of adventure isn't the part where the boring people speak in monotone while sitting in front of a green tarp, it's the part where the dumbass gets tricked by dracula into murdering a bunch of children and everybody dies

Yeah, Sheev was fantastic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Wait are there people who seriously don't believe droids are people?

Yes. George Lucas. He never notes or cares even a bit about the terrible terrible battle droid suffering happening right before our very eyes, specifically claims that they are substantively different from the good droids we like, and generally writes and directs them as comical, irrelevant and incompetent lightsaber targets while Sarah McLaughlin signs "The Arms of an Angel" in the heads of dudes with prodromal schizophrenia

• Locked thread