Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The second Diego seems a bit more malicious and violent than Diego the first, though there's not really much of him to really compare. Diego 1 was sorta reserved in his ambition, I guess Diego 2 is what would happen if Diego was a (bigger) dick. He must have a wider scope for his domination and what not, not just the island in New York.

The fact alone that he has The World to me implies he's more like DIO, so it'd make sense he's more ambitious and extreme in his evil. Diego 1 wasn't even really "evil", he was just a greedy dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I always took Diego2 to literally be Dio on a horse. Like, Diego has his own personality and set of ambitions, but the final one was straight up Part 1 Dio only he got The World instead of becoming a Vampire at that point of his life.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Do you think at some point in the SBR/Jojolion universe, President Valentine got his face put on some denomination of American dollar?

Funny money :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diego is how Dio probably would've ended up if not for the stone mask.

Alternate Diego is literally Part 3 DIO right out of the box.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Do you think at some point in the SBR/Jojolion universe, President Valentine got his face put on some denomination of American dollar?

Funny money :v:

Mount Rushmore is now just four different facial expressions of President Valentine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Alternate Diego hadn't taken the corpse to the underground bunker, Lucy probably never would have killed him, the corpse may have gone missing or unaccounted for, Johnny would never have been able to find it to bring it to Morioh and bury it under the Lone Pine, and it's quite probable from what we know of Josuke's merging and the different variant of Rokakaka that was made in the ground there that Josuke wouldn't actually exist.

So in that way, a Dio still has a distant influence on JoJolion.

Sure, but it's so far removed that it's nowhere near as important as it is in other parts. The only other part where Dio's influence is about as small is probably Battle Tendency, but a huge deal of the circumstances of primary characters in there is a direct result of Dio. Diego and DIEGO's influence over the events in Jojolion is much smaller and does not extend beyond the events of SBR.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Funky Valentine posted:

Diego is how Dio probably would've ended up if not for the stone mask.

Alternate Diego is literally Part 3 DIO right out of the box.

Mount Rushmore is now just four different facial expressions of President Valentine.

Who would be the fat one?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

The fact alone that he has The World to me implies he's more like DIO, so it'd make sense he's more ambitious and extreme in his evil. Diego 1 wasn't even really "evil", he was just a greedy dick.

I mean mostly but there is the part where Diego murdered Johnny's brother. And tried to murder a bunch of other people.

I guess you could let Wekapipo go as a matter of survival.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diego murdered Johnny's brother? Johnny's brother died in a horse accident involving that rat that Johnny kept as a pet

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Rodyle posted:

I mean mostly but there is the part where Diego murdered Johnny's brother.

I didn't think Diego had anything to do with Johnny's brother's death though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If anything, Johnny killed his brother since he let the rat go rather than kill like everyone asked him to do.

Boy had that Dark Determination from day one

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It was a mouse, and that mouse's name was Danny

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shouda put it in the incinerator. wrong danny died imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diego killing johnny's dad also would have cheapened the bits in the story where johnny's guilt over it was relevant

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You know why we never see Johnny's mom? Diego killed her too.

Right after that scene at the finish line where Johnny's dad is there with his brother's old boots? Diego killed him too

Diego was the one who dropped the rock on Johnny's head 12 years later or whatever

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Johnny assumed the white mouse was the issue but iirc if you go back to that scene, its implied that Diego, the stablehand, did something to the horse the brother was on that morning. Johnny just assumed it was his fault because he has a bunch of issues and saw a white mouse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maybe Johnny's brother was just poo poo at horses.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

should have been a dinosaur, big mistake Mr Big Bro

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diego was in England for most of his live and I have zero memory of Diego and and Johnny ever meeting before the Steel Ball Run race

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Johnny's brother ate poo poo, fell off his horse

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diego worked and lived on a farm, but it wasn't the Joestar's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Turns out I'm not crazy! Go read SBR42.

E: in that Dio's totally there anyway, the source of the mouse is up to your interpretation

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Diego was in England for most of his live and I have zero memory of Diego and and Johnny ever meeting before the Steel Ball Run race

I think they met but it was by the time Diego was old enough to get it on with an old lady to get the money for horse racing. Like, I am almost certain there was a page where Johnny went "I'm going to beat Diego!" and his dad just snapped because Johnny's brother didn't pull that off (or maybe it was the opposite and Johnny lost to Diego and the dad got pissed because the dead brother pulled that win)

either way you're totally right that Diego was in another continent during Johnny's bro's death.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
No wait, Diego totally is at the track in the Nicholas scene. But he's literally only in three panels and has one line, so saying he killed Nicholas is a bit of stretch imo

e:
Here's the bit, from In A Silent Way (Part 3) There's another page where Diego's the one who explains about the rat, so yeah I guess it's questionable, but it feels like Josuke saving himself, where Diego being the source of Johnny's problems is a lame and kinda ruins the buildup to Johnny being the broken person he is now because of his seemingly low impact decisions.

Also seeing Johnny stand looks real weird.

and gently caress Johnny's lovely dad too jesus christ

e2: wait what the gently caress, johnny and diego are the same age, why does Johnny look like he's seven and Diego looks fully grown

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 6, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think if anything it not being Johnny's fault underlines how badly Johnny's headstate is hosed up in that he immediately assumes that for not playing his awful dad's bottomlessly cruel games he's responsible for his big brother having an accident (never mind that it was said brother who got him off the hook in the first place).

whether it was Diego or an accident doesn't really change the fact that Johnny's dad is the source of Johnny's problems

e: incidentally I think George's showing at the end of the race is the most hollow poo poo in the world gently caress that piece of human trash

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like it could be a bit of both. Johnny made some bad choices, and having his awful father abandon him every time has only worsened Johnny's self esteem. By spending time with Gyro, he finally meets someone who respects him and helps him and someone he can respect and help too and also learn how to be a better boy along the way.

Johnny's dad showing up at the end of SBR with The Boots always felt super lovely and makes him a worse dude imo.

Like "My son just won a big horse race, I love my son! Yes that is my son there, I am Johnny Joestar Senior everyone, I love my beautiful boy here are some big boots for my big son". I'm glad Johnny just takes his best friend's corpse and fucks off to Japan with a new wife. Hell yeah Johnny.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean clearly Johnny made some bad decisions of his own but in terms of Nick I absolutely refuse to call him not wanting to drown his pet some mark against him. Diego's intervention in this case causes him to learn the wrong lesson of "if I wasn't such a bleeding heart my brother would be alive," whereas if we say that the mouse really WAS Danny and Diego did nothing then the scene really DOES become "I didn't kill that animal therefore I lost my brother" which doesn't seem like something Araki would write. It being a wrong assumption because Johnny's headspace is hosed fits much better.

OG George turns in his grave over what SBR George is doing to his name

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny's brother had stupid hair, maybe that's why [fate] made him die.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh no, I don't think that the mouse was Literally Danny and Johnny is a moron baby and got what he deserved for not wanting to drown his pet with his bare hands at seven years old. He's projecting his own poo poo into what happened, and it makes all the sense in the world why Johnny would do that, I'd do the same thing. I just don't see any actual evidence or motive or even HOW Diego would kill Nicholas if the horse didn't get spooked by a rat.

Sometimes, weird and hosed up poo poo just happens in life. F A T E and all that

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Diego hates rich people and possible competition, if he was aiming to be a racer he could have decided to setup the accident to remove Nick as future competition/kill a rich kid for being a rich kid.

I just don't see a reason to have him be there if he's not related to anything.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's not unreasonable, but just super flimsy to me.

Him being there also doesn't make a ton of sense narrative wise. Diego is only a year older than Johnny overall and Johnny looks like he's like seven. His mom died when he was six, how did he even get to America and exactly into Danville, Kentucky. F A T E and all that I guess, but eh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I mean clearly Johnny made some bad decisions of his own but in terms of Nick I absolutely refuse to call him not wanting to drown his pet some mark against him. Diego's intervention in this case causes him to learn the wrong lesson of "if I wasn't such a bleeding heart my brother would be alive," whereas if we say that the mouse really WAS Danny and Diego did nothing then the scene really DOES become "I didn't kill that animal therefore I lost my brother" which doesn't seem like something Araki would write. It being a wrong assumption because Johnny's headspace is hosed fits much better.

OG George turns in his grave over what SBR George is doing to his name

I don't think it's supposed to be anyone's fault. Johnny not killing a mouse and then thinking that somehow because of that he killed his brother and his dad resenting him and being just the worst is justified, is just like an example of Johnny's mind set. Namely that he pretty much hates himself and has no self esteem and feels a need to prove himself and buys into his father's dislike of him way too much. It doesn't matter who killed his bro or if anyone did, Johnny blames himself because he's kinda messed up.

Same way that much later in the story he almost gives up and accepts Valentine's deal to not kill him, because he is legitimately convinced that Crazy Murderer President Funny Valentine might just be a better person than him.

Johnny still has a grudge against Diego though because his dad respected him as a jockey, which is something he never did for Johnny. So he does kinda have beef with him, but Diego being a shady rear end in a top hat is funnily enough not really relevant to it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Moltrey posted:

It's not unreasonable, but just super flimsy to me.

Him being there also doesn't make a ton of sense narrative wise. Diego is only a year older than Johnny overall and Johnny looks like he's like seven. His mom died when he was six, how did he even get to America and exactly into Danville, Kentucky. F A T E and all that I guess, but eh

The flashback starts with Johnny saying he lived in England for a while, and in the page you posted they mention that Dio is just a kid, but he has promise so they're letting him work there. I feel like it's to set up a Dio reminder so the poo poo talk George gives comes off more natural and even more upsetting since Dio was just a child when facing Johnny's brother so of course their few races were onesided while Johnny has difficulty beating Diego.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diego had nothing to do with nicholas dying. the amount of 'evidence' supporting it is so small that someone could apply the same amount of logic to say that literally any character was the reason for another's death later in the part.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pocoloco killed Nicholas because he also lives in the south.

Follow the money.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

georgia and kentucky are pretty close.............

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

diego had nothing to do with nicholas dying. the amount of 'evidence' supporting it is so small that someone could apply the same amount of logic to say that literally any character was the reason for another's death later in the part.

i can't believe mountain tim killed gyro

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i live in a state near Kentucky, thinking I mighta killed Nicholas......

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Same way that much later in the story he almost gives up and accepts Valentine's deal to not kill him, because he is legitimately convinced that Crazy Murderer President Funny Valentine might just be a better person than him.

But he was though????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yinlock posted:

i can't believe mountain tim killed gyro

remember when mountain tim was there with johnny and gyro before the oyecomova battle?

get where i'm going with this?