Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Rage posted:

Fresh hop IPAs are generally garbage though. Fresh hop sours on the other hand? Delicious.

Fresh hop Ipa can be fantastic but the window to drink is very small, and the brewer needs to use the right hop, or yeah, it'll taste like bitter garbage. A place near me had a huge fresh hop menu rotate through. I had a fresh hop red ale, that was super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

:chloe:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Worse than IPA are "session" beers. You're making light, or lite beer. Stop being a nancy about it.

4.5-5.5% ABV traditional beer is only "light" in a market where much American craft beer is absurdly over the top.

God I miss the days before Budweiser took over beer distribution over here. I used to be able to find really nice German beers like Arcobrau Zwickl Lager, King Ludwig wheat beer, Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel (technically Austrian but whatever), etc. but now you get Beck's and St. Pauli Girl shitwater, Hofbrau (which is nice, but I've had so much Hofbrau Dunkel I'm sick of it), Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen (but none of their darker beers), and in the fall Spaten Oktoberfest. Bleh.

There is literally not one genuine bock to be had in Memphis (Rogue Dead Guy and Moretti La Rossa can go gently caress themselves, and Samichlaus is fun on holidays but is a ridiculous gimmick beer that costs too much), but dozens of garbage hipster breweries from :heritage: and more arriving every week. I hope a market correction wipes out the southern craft beer scene, it's a disgrace.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 5, 2016

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Oscar Wild posted:

Worse than IPA are "session" beers. You're making light, or lite beer. Stop being a nancy about it.

I don't know why, but the "session" and "sessionable" things drive me loving crazy.

It's a beer you can drink a bunch of at one time- why does it need a stupid name? Also, they're always some kind of loving IPA or shandy or some bullshit.

Why have hops become the loving THING for all US brewers? What's wrong with a good brown ale or bitter?

I'm mad about beer!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

God I miss the days before Budweiser took over beer distribution over here.
after the health insurance industry, beer distribution is the dumbest and most needless industry in american society. they're all middlemen and there's no good reason for them to exist outside of being a relic of the post-prohibition era

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

get that OUT of my face posted:

after the health insurance industry, beer distribution is the dumbest and most needless industry in american society. they're all middlemen and there's no good reason for them to exist outside of being a relic of the post-prohibition era

Absolutely agreed, and the fact that bud's distribution network hasn't been broken up under anti-trust laws is absurd

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

I don't know why, but the "session" and "sessionable" things drive me loving crazy.

It's a beer you can drink a bunch of at one time- why does it need a stupid name? Also, they're always some kind of loving IPA or shandy or some bullshit.

Why have hops become the loving THING for all US brewers? What's wrong with a good brown ale or bitter?

I'm mad about beer!

RE: "Session" stuff:
So you feel better about being a slovenly alcoholic who can't control the speed at which they drink and need to chug every bottle like a loving moron, because hey at least you're not one of those "light" beer drinking pussies.

RE: Hops taking over everything:
Because hop varieties and where you source your hops from give you something to market and make you more of an uber special snowflake in a country rammed from coast to coast with lovely craft breweries.
(I'm from Australia, the problem is much the same here).

Don't get me started on ~organic beer~ fuckwits.

IPAs are fine but goddamn I don't want to go into a pub and have >75% of the craft beers on tap be some form of IPA.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

RE: "Session" stuff:
So you feel better about being a slovenly alcoholic who can't control the speed at which they drink and need to chug every bottle like a loving moron, because hey at least you're not one of those "light" beer drinking pussies.

RE: Hops taking over everything:
Because hop varieties and where you source your hops from give you something to market and make you more of an uber special snowflake in a country rammed from coast to coast with lovely craft breweries.
(I'm from Australia, the problem is much the same here).

Don't get me started on ~organic beer~ fuckwits.

IPAs are fine but goddamn I don't want to go into a pub and have >75% of the craft beers on tap be some form of IPA.

I'd rather drink a handful of bottles of good beer than a dozen bottles of "sessionable" beer

And I don't know about australia, but pretty much everywhere I've been in the last few years in the US has had a beer selection consisting of a bunch of varieties of pale ale(american or indian, and maybe a supper hoppy mess masquerading as an english variety), the old standards (bud, coors, miller), and Guinness, and maybe smithwicks or new castle if you're lucky. Oh, and yuengling- pottsville pisswater

I'm not knocking guinness, but why is that the one stout we get? What if I want a murphys, or something else that I can't name right now? What if I want a fullers or a boddingtons or a loving kilkenny, or something other than smithwicks and new castle??!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I guess my complaints boil down to "why can't I just have more english/irish/scottish/welsh beers instead of hopslam or hopdevil or hopfuckingwhatever?" Just more imports in general, really.

All of this bitching about beer is brought to you by several Nutty Russians- knockoff baileys, knockoff kahlua, vodka, and almond milk in equal measures, poured over ice and then hammered home

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also I like Rogue. Yeah, some of their more out there beers are disgusting trash but their quote unquote normal range is pretty good. Hell, I have a Marionberry Braggot from them sitting in my fridge a the moment.

Did I overpay for it? Completely and utterly. Is it trash? Don't know, but probably! But it's the only braggot I'm likely to get my hands on here and at least I'll get to try the style.

In general I'm all for experimenting in brewing, I'd prefer to drink something I haven't seen before even if I don't like it than drink another American/Australian/English/India Pale Ale that is completely indistugishable from every other one churned out by every other brewery.

Australian specific craft beer chat for a second while I'm ranting:
gently caress Prancing Pony. I have no idea why people go nuts over their utterly mediocre range.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BLARGHLE posted:

I'd rather drink a handful of bottles of good beer than a dozen bottles of "sessionable" beer

And I don't know about australia, but pretty much everywhere I've been in the last few years in the US has had a beer selection consisting of a bunch of varieties of pale ale(american or indian, and maybe a supper hoppy mess masquerading as an english variety), the old standards (bud, coors, miller), and Guinness, and maybe smithwicks or new castle if you're lucky. Oh, and yuengling- pottsville pisswater

I'm not knocking guinness, but why is that the one stout we get? What if I want a murphys, or something else that I can't name right now? What if I want a fullers or a boddingtons or a loving kilkenny, or something other than smithwicks and new castle??!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I guess my complaints boil down to "why can't I just have more english/irish/scottish/welsh beers instead of hopslam or hopdevil or hopfuckingwhatever?" Just more imports in general, really.

All of this bitching about beer is brought to you by several Nutty Russians- knockoff baileys, knockoff kahlua, vodka, and almond milk in equal measures, poured over ice and then hammered home

looks like someone forgot about the greatest beer brewing country in the world: Belgium

yeah sure we could use a few more varieties of browns and porters/stouts on the taps, but what we REALLY need is belgians! I want to see more sours, more trappist/abbey style, more saison and MORE BELGIAN. The worst thing in the world is a pub that has dozens or even 100+ beers available and maybe only 1-3 belgians :(

i love belgium

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Blue Raider posted:

southern tier loving sucks rear end

I like their one spiced Christmas beer, it's alright. Warlock and Pumking can go gently caress themselves up their fat loving asses though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

This

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just lol that you think that's oppression. come up north and witness a truly draconian state run liquor distribution system

feller
Jul 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

It's gonna be weird when IPAs are no longer flavor of the month for coastal breweries and people start complaining about all these drat sours or porters

No one will ever complain about too many porters. Also friends, Pumking is good, great even

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Turdsdown Tom posted:

IPAs are trash and Doppelbocks are the only thing that is Cool And Good™

Late ae hell but agree 100%. I like Paulaner Salvator or the Troggenator. Andechs if you can find it. For some reason I don't like Celebrator.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I'm going to brew a craft beer that combines all of the latest trends: it will be bitter, smokey, and sour. Hipsters are going to buy the poo poo out of it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hello all.

My favorite type of beer is the IPA. My favorite beers have been IPAs (or offshoots of the genre). "Favorite" meaning beers that have blown me away AND made me want to drink many more for hours and hours.

That being said, due to my constant craving of well-made IPAs, I've also had some absolutely garbage attempts at the style. They really aren't as easy to make as the haters claim. What makes a good IPA? Depends on the type.

Classic West Coast: It's gotta have huge citrus and tropical characteristics. Needs to be bitter but not over the top. This is the most commonly style of beer mimicked in the USA right now and most breweries can't make them well (because they can't make ANY beers well). They tend to go too heavy on the caramel malt because in 2006 they read on a homebrewing forum that you're supposed to do that to balance the hops and add color. They rarely get it right though and most IPAs you see at breweries are plagued with being either too sweet or too bitter.

Session IPA: Low ABV (below 5.5%) and very heavy on the citrus and tropical notes but not too bitter. Too many breweries keep the IBUs jacked up but don't have the supporting body to make the beer palatable. You wind up with a very nice smelling beer you can't drink because it's too bitter.

Double IPA: This should be a standard IPA with more alcohol and more body to back up the higher volume of hops. That's pretty much it. Some of the worst beers I've had have been Double IPAs because they were way too sweet and just tasted like lovely barley wines. Or they attenuated too much and got too fusel-y.

New England IPA: The current massive fad amongst beer traders is the New England IPA, a very hazy, thick-looking substance that disgusts most purists and classically trained brewers. The truth is that a well-done NEIPA should be very juicy in aroma and flavor with very little bitterness. It should have a thicker mouthfeel as well due to the addition of oats or wheat or lactose or etc. Breweries gently caress this one up by focusing too much on the appearance and aiming to make the haziest beer possible for that Instagram shot but the beer tastes like doodoo. A too-bitter New England IPA is just a terribly done West Coasy IPA.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hello all.

My favorite type of beer is the IPA. My favorite beers have been IPAs (or offshoots of the genre). "Favorite" meaning beers that have blown me away AND made me want to drink many more for hours and hours.

That being said, due to my constant craving of well-made IPAs, I've also had some absolutely garbage attempts at the style. They really aren't as easy to make as the haters claim. What makes a good IPA? Depends on the type.

Classic West Coast: It's gotta have huge citrus and tropical characteristics. Needs to be bitter but not over the top. This is the most commonly style of beer mimicked in the USA right now and most breweries can't make them well (because they can't make ANY beers well). They tend to go too heavy on the caramel malt because in 2006 they read on a homebrewing forum that you're supposed to do that to balance the hops and add color. They rarely get it right though and most IPAs you see at breweries are plagued with being either too sweet or too bitter.

Session IPA: Low ABV (below 5.5%) and very heavy on the citrus and tropical notes but not too bitter. Too many breweries keep the IBUs jacked up but don't have the supporting body to make the beer palatable. You wind up with a very nice smelling beer you can't drink because it's too bitter.

Double IPA: This should be a standard IPA with more alcohol and more body to back up the higher volume of hops. That's pretty much it. Some of the worst beers I've had have been Double IPAs because they were way too sweet and just tasted like lovely barley wines. Or they attenuated too much and got too fusel-y.

New England IPA: The current massive fad amongst beer traders is the New England IPA, a very hazy, thick-looking substance that disgusts most purists and classically trained brewers. The truth is that a well-done NEIPA should be very juicy in aroma and flavor with very little bitterness. It should have a thicker mouthfeel as well due to the addition of oats or wheat or lactose or etc. Breweries gently caress this one up by focusing too much on the appearance and aiming to make the haziest beer possible for that Instagram shot but the beer tastes like doodoo. A too-bitter New England IPA is just a terribly done West Coasy IPA.

Mods???

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Actually speaking of New England there is a good IPA out of some place on Cape Cod or Nantucket or something but it is not NEIPA. I keep thinking it's Creature Comforts but I think they're from Athens, and also make a very good IPA.

fakedit: Cisco Brewing, I guess it's just called Cisco IPA. I like when they keep it simple and don't put some gay pun in the name.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
To me, a lot of session beer tastes like a watered down version of what the beer should taste like. If the beer is too strong you should order something different. No one has this problem with wine.

/kickstarts "session wine"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I want to crush an 8 pack of Budweisers.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
To each their own but unless you're married and living a soulless life, anybody who spergs over craft beer is a terrible nerd and needs to stop

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BLARGHLE posted:

Absolutely agreed, and the fact that bud's distribution network hasn't been broken up under anti-trust laws is absurd

what's great is the bud/coors distributor lobby wrote into a bunch of state laws that any brewery that puts out more than say 25,000 barrels has to sign with one of the larger distributors who have final say over where their beer is sold and how it's promoted

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I decided to pick up my favorite IPA alternative: Boxing Rock Temptation Red Ale

It's slightly hoppy, but smooth as hell. 6%, doesn't taste like eating hops, and is one of the cheapest beers at the liquor store here in NS where it's brewed.

Boxing Rock has mostly poo poo beers, this thing is lightning in a bottle for them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd like to add that my favorite pilsener is Jever. Also IPAs suck dick.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

I work for one of the biggest distributors in the U.S. and this is 100 % correct. The "salesmen" are the best because they actually believe they are worth the obscene amount of money they collect for a no show job.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hello all.

I'm curious where you're from. In Tampa I'd have a lot of different definitions on all these terms.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I live in Tampa, Florida.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Christ I hate Double IPA's.

For anyone who hasn't tried one, it's like drinking paint thinner and gets your hosed up fast. Yum, 9% "beer".

I'd rather just chug wine like a suburban house wife.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

penus penus penus posted:

To each their own but unless you're married and living a soulless life, anybody who spergs over craft beer is a terrible nerd and needs to stop

Goon: you're only allowed to obsess over what I'm personally obsessed with or you're a nerd virgin neckbeard blah blah.

Talk about beer or :frogout:.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lactose Is Wack posted:

I work for one of the biggest distributors in the U.S. and this is 100 % correct. The "salesmen" are the best because they actually believe they are worth the obscene amount of money they collect for a no show job.

How can I get this job?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I live in Tampa, Florida.

you said mouthfeel unironically. Please leave

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
rogue really is bland gimmicky beer and their brew master clearly has no taste buds left

North Carolina has great local beer so I'm usuing drinking that

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

med school head posted:

rogue really is bland gimmicky beer and their brew master clearly has no taste buds left

North Carolina has great local beer so I'm usuing drinking that

green man

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Drinkin a Kalamazoo Stout and it's so good I almost don't hate Michigan rn

naem
May 29, 2011

If Michigan had a functional economy id live there again

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How can I get this job?

You apply spend a few years working as a "sales associate" making very little money

Make friends and be a good liar

Profit

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lactose Is Wack posted:

Almost all corporate beer distribution is such crap, and guarantees like 99% of beers will have old hops. I started breeding my own beer solely to ensure I actually get a beer with a bursting hop flavor every time, and not one a year like with storebought ipa

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm still just trying random stuff out and so far I prefer the balance of "regular" pale ales over IPAs and I had a coffee milk stout I really liked. I need some NZ beer nerd buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pants in my pants posted:

Actually speaking of New England there is a good IPA out of some place on Cape Cod or Nantucket or something but it is not NEIPA. I keep thinking it's Creature Comforts but I think they're from Athens, and also make a very good IPA.

fakedit: Cisco Brewing, I guess it's just called Cisco IPA. I like when they keep it simple and don't put some gay pun in the name.

I dunno I tried their wine and it wasn't very good...

• Locked thread