Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RCarr posted:

Are they called anything specific? I'm looking to pick one up on the way home from a Best Buy, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc.

The Speedlink one was called Stream Play & Charge USB Cable for Wii U. There is also one on amazon by Tomee called Wii U Charge Cable for GamePad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
NA VC announced.

Wii U Mario vs. DK 2 (DS)
N3DS: Megaman X2 (SNES)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Patter Song posted:

NA VC announced.

Wii U Mario vs. DK 2 (DS)
N3DS: Megaman X2 (SNES)

I am 100% okay with these. I want as many mega man titles on my 3DS as possible

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Is Color Splash actually fun to play or are they still doing the Sticker Star...thing? It sure looks nice, it's still kind of bland and generic but at least the HD makes it a pretty-looking generic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's still got the general gameplay style of Color Splash but better in pretty much every single way.

Not to say they fixed everything wrong with Sticker Star, they're still intentionally limiting their creativity with characters for arbitrary reasons and Things still seem to be kinda a shitshow when it comes to combat balance, but it is certainly not boring as gently caress anymore

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 6, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch-O posted:

Is Color Splash actually fun to play or are they still doing the Sticker Star...thing? It sure looks nice, it's still kind of bland and generic but at least the HD makes it a pretty-looking generic.

The GameXplain guy loved it and he hated Sticker Star. It looks fantastic just from the short clips in this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvc0rUJl41Y

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Alright. Personally I don't think Sticker Star's combat is redeemable, but poo poo, I've been wrong before. How about the environments then? I know they can't pull off another Shy Guy Toy Box or Twilight Town, but is it at least a step up from SS's Grass Plain, Water World, uhh idk I think there was a ghost house???, etc.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch-O posted:

Alright. Personally I don't think Sticker Star's combat is redeemable, but poo poo, I've been wrong before. How about the environments then? I know they can't pull off another Shy Guy Toy Box or Twilight Town, but is it at least a step up from SS's Grass Plain, Water World, uhh idk I think there was a ghost house???, etc.

The environments seem much more varied. Circus, train, pirate ship, restaurant, Mario 3 world, etc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I am 100% okay with these. I want as many mega man titles on my 3DS as possible

I have never played a Mario vs Donkey Kong game and they've always looked...not at all my sort of thing. It wouldn't make a "Top 50 games missing from the Wii U VC" list from me.

That said, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 is a first party Nintendo title and Nintendo has been trying to get as many DS games as possible on the VC lately.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The environments seem much more varied. Circus, train, pirate ship, restaurant, Mario 3 world, etc.

Alright, that's good. Sounds like a step in the right direction. Still a rental, though. I actually stayed up to get Sticker Star as soon as it was available, and I am not making that mistake again.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can i get megaman x? cause that's the best game in the series

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

baram. posted:

can i get megaman x? cause that's the best game in the series

That's already up on both Wii U and N3DS eShops.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Patter Song posted:

I have never played a Mario vs Donkey Kong game and they've always looked...not at all my sort of thing. It wouldn't make a "Top 50 games missing from the Wii U VC" list from me.

That said, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 is a first party Nintendo title and Nintendo has been trying to get as many DS games as possible on the VC lately.

The predecessor to the Mario vs. DK series, Donkey Kong '94 for Game Boy, is fantastic and is available on 3DS VC for a few bucks. Buy it, maaaybe buy the first Mario vs. DK if you want more, skip all the others.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone help me find a couple paint spots I'm missing? At train depot I am at 98% and can't find another spec of white anywhere.

And at Mario 3 video zone I am actually at 0% and haven't found a dang thing I can paint. I'd like to paint it all before going over the rainbow, and those are the only two levels I don't have 100%

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

greatn posted:

Anyone help me find a couple paint spots I'm missing? At train depot I am at 98% and can't find another spec of white anywhere.

And at Mario 3 video zone I am actually at 0% and haven't found a dang thing I can paint. I'd like to paint it all before going over the rainbow, and those are the only two levels I don't have 100%

In the depot, I was stuck at 98% until I stumbled upon one of the bigger red boxes and noticed some white on it. Kinda hard to see with the lighting. It was in the second screen from the start. Haven't gotten to anything involving Mario 3 yet so I can't comment on that part. Did you also go back up the coal shaft and check that area?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One of the things that Color Splash really seems to get that Sticker Star didn't is that the adventure game-type puzzles only really work when there's a narrative drive to it. Solving a puzzle to get a thing that moves a boulder out of the way isn't very fun at all, but if you took the exact same puzzle but instead inserted it into a fun little mystery adventure involving a bunch of goofy NPCs, it suddenly becomes a great and memorable section. As much as people chant "gameplay matters more than anything", the presentation that puts gameplay in context makes so much of a difference, especially in an RPG. It isn't just going from Point A to Point B through a NSMB level anymore, back again are the goofy vignettes that made the old Paper Mario games so memorable. Yeah it is still filled with generic toads, but the toads have way more personality than before and Bowser's minions are back to being as chatty as they used to be. While there are clearly still improvements that can be made I think this game is absolutely worthy of being called a Paper Mario game, and man am I so happy to be able to say that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The predecessor to the Mario vs. DK series, Donkey Kong '94 for Game Boy, is fantastic and is available on 3DS VC for a few bucks. Buy it, maaaybe buy the first Mario vs. DK if you want more, skip all the others.
I wish the first one was on eShop, afaik it's still just a 3DS Ambassador title right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wish the first one was on eShop, afaik it's still just a 3DS Ambassador title right?

It's also on Wii U.

I played through it recently for the first time and yeah, you'd be better off replaying DK'94.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's also on Wii U.
the wiki says it isn't :(

only in Europe

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quest For Glory II posted:

the wiki says it isn't :(

only in Europe

My mistake. It's out everywhere but in NA.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Takoluka posted:

Off-topic: Just want to throw out there that Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice is a good game.
Go on...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

New MN reward: a 20% discount for Chase: Cold Case Investigations at launch. A mere 20 gold pieces.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hmm, I should maybe spend money for Treasure Tracker and River City Rumble and get this Cing game for cheaper then.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Captain Toad is your friend, please buy his game.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

New MN reward: a 20% discount for Chase: Cold Case Investigations at launch. A mere 20 gold pieces.

Isn't that already getting released for something like $6?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

nerdman42 posted:

Isn't that already getting released for something like $6?

Yes, it is.

What? 1,20 off not good enough for you? :colbert:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Hot drat.

I'm mostly just surprised there would even be a discount when the price is already so low. I'm not gonna complain though

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The price is low for a reason, it's incredibly short.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The price is low for a reason, it's incredibly short.

Does that mean it's gonna be episodic? Seems like a lot of effort for a two-hour game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

And More posted:

Does that mean it's gonna be episodic? Seems like a lot of effort for a two-hour game.

It was not announced as an episodic game or the first in a series and I haven't seen any talk about a sequel but it definitely feels more like an episode than a complete game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

greatn posted:

There is only one in the Mario 3 zone I don't remember exactly which screen it is, but it is a cloud without any eyes, look for a platform with two coins and nothing else, jump up to it and do the dimension shift and you can hit the cloud with your paint hammer.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The level design is good and not overly complex, every character is utilized pretty well, the new fire/ice mechanic is great, and there is a great balance between speed and platforming. There's a world map with collectibles in each stage that reminds me a lot of Crash Bandicoot/DKC. The humor is on par with the cartoon series, and it has unlockable S2 episode previews.

Also, there are no lives at all. If you die, you go back to the last checkpoint and that's it. The only thing this greatly affects is your time; to 100% levels, you have to speed run them (and this is actually a fun challenge and not a constant frustration).

I really enjoy this game a lot, and this is coming off of recently beating Sonic 1 and 2, as well as playing around with Generations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takoluka posted:

The level design is good and not overly complex, every character is utilized pretty well, the new fire/ice mechanic is great, and there is a great balance between speed and platforming. There's a world map with collectibles in each stage that reminds me a lot of Crash Bandicoot/DKC. The humor is on par with the cartoon series, and it has unlockable S2 episode previews.

Also, there are no lives at all. If you die, you go back to the last checkpoint and that's it. The only thing this greatly affects is your time; to 100% levels, you have to speed run them (and this is actually a fun challenge and not a constant frustration).

I really enjoy this game a lot, and this is coming off of recently beating Sonic 1 and 2, as well as playing around with Generations.

To add on to that, unlike the first 3DS Sonic Boom the oollectibles are not required to complete the game, the levels are much shorter, the character switching is kept to a minimum (in fact, several stages can be beaten by a single character if you're just focused on getting to the end) and finally neither 3DS game is a glitchy mess and they both play like a normal sidescrolling platformer (Fire & Ice more so than Shattered Crystal though as the latter had a kind of Metroidvania thing going for it which was annoying). It's probably the best game in this entire sub-series (though considering its predecessors that's not saying much).

Also as a nice little design touch, all the level gimmicks like springs/boost pads/etc. have been reverted back to the way they looked in the mainline Sonic games. I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electric Phantasm posted:

There is only one in the Mario 3 zone I don't remember exactly which screen it is, but it is a cloud without any eyes, look for a platform with two coins and nothing else, jump up to it and do the dimension shift and you can hit the cloud with your paint hammer.

poo poo that's devious

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

If it wasn't for Nintendo, I'd swear you were having a stroke.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Paper Mario: Colour Splash - €49.99 / £39.99 (October 7)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ACT IT OUT! A Game of Charades - €9.99 / £8.99
    Ninja Pizza Girl - €8.99 / £7.99
    PING 1.5+ - €4.49 / £3.99
    PSIBO - €4.49 / £3.99
    VROG - €2.49 / £2.20 until October 20, standard price €4.99 / £4.49
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €9.99 / £8.99 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for Wii U + 3DS
    Minecraft: Wii U Edition - Chinese Mythology Mash-up Pack - €4.99 / £3.99
WII DOWNLOADS ON WII U
    WarioWare Smooth Moves - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Steamworld Heist - €13.39 / £9.99 for owners of previous Steamworld Wii U/3DS games until October 13, standard launch discount €14.99 / £10.99 until October 13
    Soul Axiom - €12.74 / £10.19 until October 15 if you own Soul Axiom Event Preview

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Party Star Rush - €39.99 / £34.99 (October 7)
    Mario Party Star Rush - Party Guest - free! (October 7)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Epic Word Search Holiday Special - €7.99 / £5.99
    PixelMaker - €3.49 / £2.99
    Power Disc Slam - €5.49 / £4.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €14.99 / £13.49 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for 3DS + Wii U
    Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice - "Turnabout Time Traveller (full episode)" - €5.99 / £5.39
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Breath of Fire (SNES) - €3.99 / £3.59 for owners of Breath of Fire 2 until October 20, standard price €7.99 / £7.19
    Breath of Fire 2 (SNES) - €3.99 / £3.59 for owners of Breath of Fire until October 20, standard price €7.99 / £7.19
3DS MENU THEMES (October 7)
    Disappearance of Hatsune Mikuh - €1.99 / £1.79
    Melancholic - €1.99 / £1.79
    li Aru Fanclub - €1.99 / £1.79
    Lost One's Weeping - €1.99 / £1.79
    Brain Fluid Explosion Girl - €1.99 / £1.79
    Hello Kitty autumn - €0.99 / £0.99
    Hello Kitty comics - €0.99 / £0.99
    Hello Kitty cupcakes - €0.99 / £0.99
    Hello Kitty unicorn - €0.99 / £0.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance Touch (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 until October 20

NA update (week of October 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Paper Mario: Color Splash - $59.99 (October 7)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Ninja Pizza Girl - $9.99
    Skorb - $8.99
    Psibo - $4.99
    Hurry Up! Bird Hunter - $7.99
    Act it Out! A Game of Charades - $9.99 (October 10)
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $9.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - $9.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - $5.20 until October 20

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Disney 2-Pack (Frozen-Big Hero 6 Conbo) - $29.99 (October 11)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Psycho Pigs - $7.99
    Pixel Hunter - $2.99
    Epic Word Search Holiday Special - $7.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $14.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man X2 (SNES) - $7.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    ? - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - $5.20 until October 20

Breath of Fire? Ain't that good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Epic Word Search Holiday Special

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BoF1 is pretty basic, 2 is better but suffers from one of the worst JRPG localisation jobs of the SNES era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

BoF1 is pretty basic, 2 is better but suffers from one of the worst JRPG localisation jobs of the SNES era.

I think the thing that breaks 2 is the encounter rate, it's atrocious. 1 had one that was about as bad but there was a cheap consumable that worked like Pokemon's repels and if you stocked up on them it wasn't bad at all. 2 had an item that messed with random encounters, but it didn't stop them entirely like the item in 1, it just lowered the chance of it happening and it still happens way too often and the item wears off too fast.