Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Five parts in, I feel quite confident in saying that Monster Men redefines the term "unremarkable crossover". It's not...bad, but I'm already forgetting it as I'm reading it top the point where I accidentally read Nightwing first. It's basically Gothtopia/Axis II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't believe how great Night of the Monster Men has been. I never would've thought that a Batman crossover in TTOYL 2016 would be the event I enjoy most out of them all.

e: okay I honestly did not intend this post to come right under that one.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 5, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean in enjoying it, its not bad, and the character interactions are often fun, but it just feels like a comic very much written by committee, I guess? Character voices seem kinda same-y and there's no real book variance. It doesn't feel like im reading Tom King Batman or Tynion Batwoman et Al or whoever writing Nightwing's.... Nightwing, its all just sorts the same characters repeating very similar dialog with very similar perspectives.
Again, not bad. No shade on anyone who likes it, but its definitely an arc that, when rereading rebirth Batman ill be all "oh right! Monsters invaded Gotham. Huh."

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I mean in enjoying it, its not bad, and the character interactions are often fun, but it just feels like a comic very much written by committee, I guess? Character voices seem kinda same-y and there's no real book variance. It doesn't feel like im reading Tom King Batman or Tynion Batwoman et Al or whoever writing Nightwing's.... Nightwing, its all just sorts the same characters repeating very similar dialog with very similar perspectives.
Again, not bad. No shade on anyone who likes it, but its definitely an arc that, when rereading rebirth Batman ill be all "oh right! Monsters invaded Gotham. Huh."

Yeah that's because Steve Orlando wrote all of them. Story credit goes to him and the regular writers of the books, but script credit is all him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And I'm glad it is, because this guy is rising very quickly on my list of to-follow writers. There's a great sense of peril and stakes in this event, but never to the point that it eclipses the feeling of this being a superhero team-up where Batman and his motley crew are going to save the day. The art has been amazing; both gross shambling monsters and black-clad vigilantes are being dynamically portrayed on every page. I love that they keep coming up with increasingly absurd/amazing Bat-gadgets and contingencies for these giant monsters, built into Gotham City itself. I love how they're doing justice by all the characters and using them each in effective ways; I've said before that it's like every Bat-book is Detective Comics right now, and I love Detective Comics. I love Clayface-armor Batman. I also love Duke Thomas' new costume 'cuz it looks so much like a Power Ranger. I truly wish more Batman stories were like this instead of the constant navel-gazing over the inhumanity of man or whatever they always do instead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. It's like reading a Fast & Furious movie. It's really refreshing that you know there's not these huge stakes, that the Batfamily is definitely going to save the day in the end, but it's gonna be a pretty crazy ride up until then. God drat fun comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a pretty good crossover and gives me hope that DC really has learned something and that the JL/SS one will be pretty chill as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm pretty interested in the JL/SS crossover, hopefully it's comprehensible enough that I can read it without having read any of JL or SS Rebirth.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Given DC's batting average for events, "competent and consistent" is a grand slam.
Add in Stephanie, Cassandra, and a well-done Clayface to the Bat-family and I'm just giddy (and I normally don't care much for them).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
So Death of Hawkman is actually an Adam Strange book. It was ok.

The suicide bomb thangarians were problematic. I feel this book will be a heavy handed commentary.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Clayface gathering up behind Batman was an incredible scene.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonboy Meyers is leaving Teen Titans after the next issue due to "creative differences."
https://www.facebook.com/Art-of-Jonboy-Meyers-694569967246110/
I didn't love the art in the Rebirth issue, but a quitting's never good to see. It's been a good while since one of those.

e:\/ Oh yeah. Cho. Duh.
*It's been a good while since the last one anyone cared about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 6, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jonboy Meyers is leaving Teen Titans after the next issue due to "creative differences."
https://www.facebook.com/Art-of-Jonboy-Meyers-694569967246110/
I didn't love the art in the Rebirth issue, but a quitting's never good to see. It's been a good while since one of those.

Frank Cho wasn't that long ago. Or do you mean an interior artist in which case... nope not recalling the last one I remember.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Welp, here's some fuckin' good news as contrast.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batwoman-get-new-ongoing-comic-935670?sf38024477=1

quote:

Batwoman to Get New Ongoing Comic Series
Marguerite Bennett is writing the series with art by Steve Epting.

Here's some good news for Batwoman fans — just in time for New York Comic Con.

DC Entertainment is launching a new monthly series starring Kate Kane (Batwoman) from writer Marguerite Bennett and artist Steve Epting. The series, Batwoman, will debut in February. The fun starts with a February Rebirth-themed one-shot, with Batwoman #1 to follow in March.

“Batwoman is yet another example of the character depth, richness and diversity present in Gotham City,” said Batman Group Editor Mark Doyle in a statement. “Fans have really responded to her role in Detective Comics, and we all love Kate here in the Bat-office, so that made it an easy choice to return her to a solo series.”

Ahead of writing her series, Bennett will pen a two-issue "Batwoman Begins" story arc in Detective Comics alongside James Tynion IV, beginning in January. The arc will set the stage for Kate Kane's solo series, and center on Batwoman and Batman discovering that the venom used to defeat monsters' corpses during the events of Night of the Monster Men storyline, is being sold as a bioweapon. Bennett and Tynion IV will also co-write the first arc on Batwoman together.

"There has never been a heroine I have loved more than Batwoman," said Bennett in a statement. "Her flaws, her ferocity, her struggle to rise above her own history and find a way to serve the greater good and those she loves—she's always cut me straight to the bone. To be a queer woman and to see a queer woman as not just a part but a pillar of the Bat-family was life changing, inspiring and gave me the courage to pursue this career in comics. The opportunity to add to Kate Kane's story and legacy is both an honor and a sincere dream come true."

For Epting, the series marks his first work for DC in more than 15 years.

“I am very excited for the opportunity to work on Batwoman,” said Epting. “I love the character design and how she fits into the whole Batman mythos, and I’m looking forward to the artistic opportunities the story will provide. Batwoman has a rich visual history and I’m thrilled to be a part of it!”

More details about the series will be revealed Thursday at the DC All Access panel at New York Comic Con from 1:45–2:45 p.m ET.

Eeeeee!!

edit: Covered up a Monster Men spoiler.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress yes.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Steve Epting is such an inspired choice for a Batwoman ongoing too. This is literally best-case scenario stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That could be good. So far as I know there's no one in the Batwoman mythos with the ability to break the 4th wall, so that should curb that tendency that drove me off Angela.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the Joker's done it a handful of times, maybe just in the cartoon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Epting is a huge loving get. Holy poo poo.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

That could be good. So far as I know there's no one in the Batwoman mythos with the ability to break the 4th wall, so that should curb that tendency that drove me off Angela.

The idea with that stuff was that, in a way, it was elaborating on some of the themes and ideas of Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run. There's a shared sensibility there that is not in Bennett's other work, which is very cool and good.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's so cool. A couple of us were just standing around the comic shop yesterday hoping we'd get a Batwoman ongoing because she's been so good in Detective. And they got a great writer/artist combo, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait for the rest of the DC reveals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

New Red Hood solo book and Batman & Robin rebooted to tell the lost stories of Jason's time as Robin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

New Red Hood solo book and Batman & Robin rebooted to tell the lost stories of Jason's time as Robin.

Jason Todd will die again and this time four different people will take up the mantle of Red Hood.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Rhyno posted:

There are more? 😇

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Jason Todd will die again and this time four different people will take up the mantle of Red Hood.

That wouldn't work, the emotionless murderer version would be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I believe that JLA, Super Sons, and Batwoman are all we are getting for now. Rest of the Wildstorm line should be getting announced on Saturday.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So...i'm a bit annoyed at the moment after the announcement made at the NY Comic Con today that The Ray is going to come out as gay. Now there is nothing wrong with gay characters (Midnight and Batwoman are great for example) but changing an already established character just to follow what a tv show (actually more of a web based cartoon) or to fill some diversity quota is dead wrong in my book. I thought this was supposed to be "DC Rebirth" where characters go back to their most iconic state? The Ray has over a 20 plus year history in the DCU and he was never portrayed as gay in mainline continuity. In fact during Christopher Priest's run he even had a romantic relationship with Black Canary. I brought this up on another forum and I'm getting a bunch of weak rear end "Who cares its an obscure character" arguments but thats not the point. If you want to have gay characters in your justice league either use one that is already established or go make a new one don't just randomly decide "ok lets use this character but how about we make him gay because we need to show how liberal and forward thinking we are!". It's the same loving poo poo they did with Wally West when they made him black and thought everything would be hunky dory. Well its not and I'm once again angry at DC for pointlessly changing a character I liked when I was growing up and then they point to Morrison's Multiversity (who was using an else worlds version of the character plus I believe it was a different Ray on top of that) as justification. What a total load.

This thread might as well be renamed DC Comics - All your favorite characters are black or gay now!

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I think there's a running joke at DC to see how long they can go without naming the creative team for Super Sons

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC introduced a new Ray in the New 52, is it that version?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Nope that one is gone. They are using The Ray from the 90s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Nope that one is gone. They are using The Ray from the 90s

Hmmm. Well, he did wear that jacket...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can I second that thread title change? It's pretty snappy! Catches attention, like.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's the same loving poo poo they did with Wally West when they made him black and thought everything would be hunky dory

But it turned out that way. If you see him on the cover of Teen Titans now and are still steaming, you've got the problem.

Rhyno posted:

That was such a weird comic. The baddie came to life out of a haunted safari snuff film.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So...i'm a bit annoyed at the moment after the announcement made at the NY Comic Con today that The Ray is going to come out as gay. Now there is nothing wrong with gay characters (Midnight and Batwoman are great for example) but changing an already established character just to follow what a tv show (actually more of a web based cartoon) or to fill some diversity quota is dead wrong in my book. I thought this was supposed to be "DC Rebirth" where characters go back to their most iconic state? The Ray has over a 20 plus year history in the DCU and he was never portrayed as gay in mainline continuity. In fact during Christopher Priest's run he even had a romantic relationship with Black Canary. I brought this up on another forum and I'm getting a bunch of weak rear end "Who cares its an obscure character" arguments but thats not the point. If you want to have gay characters in your justice league either use one that is already established or go make a new one don't just randomly decide "ok lets use this character but how about we make him gay because we need to show how liberal and forward thinking we are!". It's the same loving poo poo they did with Wally West when they made him black and thought everything would be hunky dory. Well its not and I'm once again angry at DC for pointlessly changing a character I liked when I was growing up and then they point to Morrison's Multiversity (who was using an else worlds version of the character plus I believe it was a different Ray on top of that) as justification. What a total load.

This thread might as well be renamed DC Comics - All your favorite characters are black or gay now!

You are the guy who comes into this thread to whine about the fact that characters created decades ago might evolve or change to compensate for the fact that they were created in a time when they couldn't be certain things without backlash.

You want everything to be like it was when you were a kid because you're scared of change but you also like things that were changed from how they were when other people were kids because you're selfish and spoiled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Everyone's entitled to their opinions no matter how stupid they look stating them, but please feel free to keep posting at the other forum as much as you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Source your quotes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's the same loving poo poo they did with Wally West when they made him black and thought everything would be hunky dory.

More people are probably now aware of a black Wally West than the white one because of the Flash tv show.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

:yikes:

those posters on the other forum were right, hth

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here's the thing about the Ray: No one knows who the gently caress is the Ray or gives a poo poo, so make him a purple pygmy polysexual polygamist if you want, no one will continue to care about the Ray.

They made the Ray gay?

Who the gently caress is Deray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:banjo: Whoa Black Wally, bam-ba-lam