Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
dragons are very expensive now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm getting back into Dominions (Pantokrator help me) and don't want to think too much about pretender creation or doing anything fancy with communions in my next game. Is a Dominion 9 W9 Dragon with Order and Turmoil scales still the way to go with EA Pangea? Or has the Erfsnake taken over the Dragon as expander of choice?

Earfsnake is usually banned, it's nuts and practically invincible. If you can take it you probably should, Dominion 9 E9 etc.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm getting back into Dominions (Pantokrator help me) and don't want to think too much about pretender creation or doing anything fancy with communions in my next game. Is a Dominion 9 W9 Dragon with Order and Turmoil scales still the way to go with EA Pangea? Or has the Erfsnake taken over the Dragon as expander of choice?

what age, is thie mp or sp?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Fat Samurai posted:

Dragons are still v good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Dragons have 1 main path, are overpriced, have relatively low prot, and do not self heal.

Basically any other properly combat-capable monster pretender is a better expander and ritual caster. No province will ruin a thrice horned boar or snek permanently (although it might kill them!), lot of them will do so for a dragon with a bad roll or two. Doubly so if they die.

Washout posted:

Earfsnake is usually banned, it's nuts and practically invincible. If you can take it you probably should, Dominion 9 E9 etc.
Or just Dom 6/7 E6/7 with lots more points to build a nation around while still being good enough to take out like 98% of indies.

Whatever you're fighting that can go through about 30 prot on an E9 snake, it'll probably go through Awe, so I don't know why you'd pair the two.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Asleep w9 or n9 (w/e chassis) or imprisoned with both.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

what age, is thie mp or sp?

MP EA, sorry. I'm nothing if not a baby that wants overpowered poo poo. Not that Pangea is bad in other ages, IIRC.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Asleep w9 or n9 (w/e chassis) or imprisoned with both.

White Centaurs and Vengeful Waters were the reason behind the W9. WC mean that I don't really need an expander with EA Pangea, but last time I played here I hit 23 provinces by turn 12 (and then proceeded to get dogpiled into oblivion for my hubris) and it was fun as poo poo.

jBrereton posted:

Whatever you're fighting that can go through about 30 prot on an E9 snake, it'll probably go through Awe, so I don't know why you'd pair the two.

50% more White Centaurs per turn. Not sure D9 is worth it just because of that, but it's an advantage.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fat Samurai posted:

MP EA, sorry. I'm nothing if not a baby that wants overpowered poo poo. Not that Pangea is bad in other ages, IIRC.

White Centaurs and Vengeful Waters were the reason behind the W9. WC mean that I don't really need an expander with EA Pangea, but last time I played here I hit 23 provinces by turn 12 (and then proceeded to get dogpiled into oblivion for my hubris) and it was fun as poo poo.

50% more White Centaurs per turn. Not sure D9 is worth it just because of that, but it's an advantage.

personally i like w9 better than n9 but i don't disagree with anything monkee said. in ea especially you can lean on white centaur pretty hard for a long time. another thing to consider is something like b9 (or b9n9 :getin: ) and push into blood a bit harder than you might otherwise for stuff like demon knights, rain of blood, etc

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

YOLO, etc... one of those blesses should be minor, probably.

Edit: She does hit 12 provinces with no money events on the first year, though. At three white centaurs a turn. I could probably make an expansion party with only those and a priest.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 3, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

t3s3g1 is going to be super rough on 12+ unless you can quickly eat a neighbor without getting gangbanged. if it were me i'd consider g3 mag1 instead.

edit: fyi angry water was nerfed heavily and will mostly just mean you can be scouted. it's much, much less terrible to invade into now (unless most of your lands are near water)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yep, that was a joke. I can't produce poo poo unless I get some extra income events regularly. I'll probably drop some luck and magic and one bless to minor to get some order/growth.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

edit: fyi angry water was nerfed heavily and will mostly just mean you can be scouted. it's much, much less terrible to invade into now (unless most of your lands are near water)

This, on the other hand, is sad. What did they do? Smaller Elementals?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

lol @ any sacred picker whose strategy is to ruin 1 other person's game and then die.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fat Samurai posted:

Yep, that was a joke. I can't produce poo poo unless I get some extra income events regularly. I'll probably drop some luck and magic and one bless to minor to get some order/growth.

it's doubling a bit on paths you already have but w9e4 is good and strong and my friend. a problem with suped up WC is that they still fall victim to crits and poo poo when they tired out while berserked and murdering 1000s of lil mans, a little reinvig helps that a lot. t3l3mag1 is actually pretty decent (caveat: i've never used it on pan). a not good but fun strat is to take f9 (kinda overkill depending on your match ups) and shoot for enchant6 after that all important alt research. cast eternal pyre and alch those gems until you get the conj research to make fire snek.

Fat Samurai posted:

This, on the other hand, is sad. What did they do? Smaller Elementals?

yeah inland they are much smaller and have trouble killing stuff. in a recent draft game roland cast it and couldn't even reliably kill my ur scouts, let alone my wizards. note that s1 wizards will get brutally owned in assassinations so if you're fighting like marv or kailasa it'd be pretty useful if they are trying to communion you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

lol @ any sacred picker whose strategy is to ruin 1 other person's game and then die.
lol at any scales picker whose strategy is to outlast and overcome :twisted:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

idk winning fast or losing once the game becomes a slog sounds pretty good to me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I've played Tri-bless Marignon flagellant spam in a game with all the skellespammers (Ermor wasn't banned). I don't do strategy.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Yeah, cast Burden of Time on turn 16 and ruin EVERYONE'S game, then die.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, cast Burden of Time on turn 16 and ruin EVERYONE'S game, then die.

14* and yessssssss

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Apparently for summoning spells that increase the number of monsters summoned with the power of the caster, the lowest value you can have is 2++, which corresponds to 1000 in the mod file. Setting it to 999 (to try to get 1++) does this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Apparently for summoning spells that increase the number of monsters summoned with the power of the caster, the lowest value you can have is 2++, which corresponds to 1000 in the mod file. Setting it to 999 (to try to get 1++) does this

Cute. Can probably used on purpose with some kind of horde-spell summoning lots of tiny things.

:siren: Yeah, it's time again for Mo Money, Mo Problems. (Part 25) :siren:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Apparently for summoning spells that increase the number of monsters summoned with the power of the caster, the lowest value you can have is 2++, which corresponds to 1000 in the mod file,
What does 1001 come out as 2+1^paths or something? I thought that was the way to get 1+?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

jBrereton posted:

What does 1001 come out as 2+1^paths or something? I thought that was the way to get 1+?

I checked again and it looks like the number of monsters is paths + the bonus, eg with the number set to 1000 (no bonus), a spell requiring 1 Astral cast by a level 1 mage produces 1 monster, but a spell requiring 2 Astral cast by a level 2 mage produces 2.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well my first MP game is going well. My prophet died to a freak slingshot on about turn 3, and right now it's turn 10 and my lab province just got taken over by demons due to a random event. Expansion is ... not going as quickly as expected. Having fun, though!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well my first MP game is going well. My prophet died to a freak slingshot on about turn 3, and right now it's turn 10 and my lab province just got taken over by demons due to a random event. Expansion is ... not going as quickly as expected. Having fun, though!

We'll make a bad expansion league to team up on nations who get 12+ provinces year 1.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

did you take misfortune?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I know your feels. In my first multiplayer game in over a year I lost my GOD on turn 3 by a bad bump.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well my first MP game is going well. My prophet died to a freak slingshot on about turn 3
You get extra style points if your prophet was a Seren.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Gridlocked posted:

I know your feels. In my first multiplayer game in over a year I lost my GOD on turn 3 by a bad bump.

Argh!

Yeah lol, you me and uPen should make that bad expansion league (assuming we can find each other -- I seem to have Meksivik and Density next door).

MF_James posted:

did you take misfortune?

Maybe ... a little?

tooterfish posted:

You get extra style points if your prophet was a Seren.

Haha no, just the standard Tien'Chi general dude (who really should've been able to handle that).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I don't take misfortune because my first 2 games i took it and ended up with absolutely game crushing events within the first year.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Haha no, just the standard Tien'Chi general dude (who really should've been able to handle that).

Those aren't suitable as an awake expander fyi.

You want the bad asia dragon or some other monster.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the standard tc commander dude was leading an army as its prophet u dunce learn to read

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

fyi your recruited human commanders do not fight as good as a dragon pretende - nuclear monkey the greatest mind in dominoes pizza 4 history

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

fyi your recruited human commanders do not fight as good as a dragon pretende - nuclear monkey the greatest mind in dominoes pizza 4 history

agreed

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I cannot believe how quickly I burned out on dom4. I'm looking for subs for the following games, please:

Almonds Ragha, mid to late game (turn 50?) in a decent position

Amphibious assault a nationgen game, with amphib troops. Illithids and death magic, been in a durdling holding pattern for about 15 turns.

Badthrones EA atlantis with bad nations only. This uses the mu throne mod so there are constant global +death, -income and other horrible events, but you are a strong astral/death power too thanks to thrones. Turn 35.

Let me know on IRC if you want to take over these games please

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Someone please take over for incy in almonds, he's probably the largest nation right now, has a good chance at winning.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A video:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hail, Pantokrator!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I was worried about how to tackle Niefelheim with EA Pangea but apparently W9 White Centaurs can beat N9E4 Niefel Giants almost one on one (may be a bit of an exaggeration. Certainly 1:1 in gold spent) as long at the battle does not take place in cold scales.

How does temp scales affect fatigue and cold aura in combat? I can't find it in the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

it's 1 point of aura and one attack and one defence and one strength and one or two prot per point of cold, for niffles

• Locked thread