Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The way the map balance works is that the defenders get a terrain advantage to compensate for the attackers getting many attempts.

So yeah, any individual push has less than a 50% chance for the attackers to win, and this is why maps can feel super slanted toward defense, but, well, you get lots of pushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Commoners posted:

The first point spawn advantage belongs to the attackers, so if they manage to just wear down the defending team without losing a fight decisively they will eventually take the point. All 2CP map second points favor the defenders though due to spawn distance, so that isn't news if you're trying to make it.

Defense may have an advantage on any single team fight (especially in lower levels when people trickle) but offense usually has the overall advantage because they just need to win one fight to cap the point while the defense has to win them all.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Kashuno posted:

I'd like to hear someone make a case for anubis not being biased toward defenders

First point is brutal to run back to, and, uhhh... no real choke point for point B meaning you have to defend from three directions at once with no clear sightlines on the two flanks?

Best I got v:shobon:v

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
those are all fair arguments

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
speaking of those flanks, I got hosed as Mercy in a comp game because our team completely ignored the big stone blocks next to left side defense spawn. I would try to come out and they had two people ring-around-the-rosieing and making GBS threads on everyone coming out left

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

None of the 2CP maps are biased towards defenders, they're insanely biased towards offense. It's just that the conditions that make them so depend on organization.

hanamura absolutely is not

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Hackan Slash posted:

Defense may have an advantage on any single team fight (especially in lower levels when people trickle) but offense usually has the overall advantage because they just need to win one fight to cap the point while the defense has to win them all.

Full holds still happen all the time even in masters and grand masters matches. Successful delays and recuperations on point B holds are something that come back in high diamond games, so winning decisively may get you a tick or two onto the point but it's only a full cap maybe half of the time. Point A is definitely a single decisive win captures the point, but point B is totally up in the air even when an offensive push wipes the enemy team.

Also I would say that the maps only favor the defenders if they're not doofuses, and most people even into high diamond play like complete dumbasses and do not leverage any of the terrain or chokes that they have available to them. Even when people jump that hurdle and actually take the good terrain, they won't maneuver when the enemy team pushes somewhere where that terrain no longer favors the defending side. People are really bad at dynamically defending those maps.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 6, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm just sort of confused at this point. I placed at like 2600 and stayed there for a week and a half, up and down. Today and yesterday I've plummeted to 2100. Up until then it's been mostly good even games, tense matches. Today I've played 4, and in each one we failed to even nudge the payload on attack, and failed to even stop it from moving on defense. I've been doing as good (or bad) as I normally do, and I'm not angry or tilting, but this is the biggest streak of crushing stomps I've ever had. Like, why though? It isn't like I can see one person loving up super hard, it just seems that everyone is playing like trash. Am I just on a really really bad unlucky streak or what? I haven't won a game in the last 9

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is there some reason lately people have stopped defending Hanamura point B at the point? Like it's the braindead easy to defend by just walking out of the spawn. But lately it seems that I keep getting placed on teams that decide they want to try to spawn camp the opponent.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As expected. Now lets see them skins.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I demand at least one skin for Zenyatta. Give him a rubber human suit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bumper Stickup posted:

I demand at least one skin for Zenyatta. Give him a rubber human suit.

A gimp suit and his orbs are fetish balls

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I've been saving all of my gold just in case they decide to let us use it on event skins, but I fully expect the same rules as the summer games stuff.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

A gimp suit and his orbs are fetish balls

The safe word is tranquility.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have like 6000 gold because I have the stuff I like for characters that I use already. I'd appreciate something to use it on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

The safe word is tranquility.

You don't use a word you scream out constantly (with elation) as a safe word. No one likes a tease that sends mixed messages!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Andrast posted:

I have like 6000 gold because I have the stuff I like for characters that I use already. I'd appreciate something to use it on.

Adorable. Blizzard will gently caress us over less than last time but make no mistake Blizzard will still be loving us. They made the summer games complete and utter poo poo so that when they introduce the system they wanted all along it looks great in comparison.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

yea same. I doubt they'll let us buy anything for the events but at least I can instantly set up whatever character they add

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Duck and Cover posted:

Adorable. Blizzard will gently caress us over less than last time but make no mistake Blizzard will still be loving us. They made the summer games complete and utter poo poo so that when they introduce the system they wanted all along it looks great in comparison.

Yeah they really hosed us over not letting us buy meaningless cosmetic items with fake money, you tell'em.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm 129 so I'll probably buy a couple as I'm at the xp per level max.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The summer games event should have had a way to try for particular items you want, and hopefully they're willing to correct that this time around.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah they really hosed us over not letting us buy meaningless cosmetic items with fake money, you tell'em.

It's as if these events take resources that could be spent on making the game better. Nevermind the game is free after all. Wait the game isn't free? Oh.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 6, 2016

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah tell the art department to fix roadhog's hook

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, does xp and leveling differ depending on what level you are or something?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

im gay posted:

Every time you prestige (which happens every 100 levels) it wraps you back around to level 1 with a new decorative attaboy on your character border, and it also resets your XP track to what it was at level 1 as well which means that you level up faster for a short while until the track goes back to its usual length.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If those loving writers spent more time coding alternate Symmetra kits then she probably wouldn't be poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duck and Cover posted:

It's as if these events take resources that could be spend on making the game better. Nevermind the game is free after all.

Division of labor is a thing, even in game development though. You aren't going to retask the netcode or physics guys to think of new event costumes and artwork.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Commoners posted:

If those loving writers spent more time coding alternate Symmetra kits then she probably wouldn't be poo poo.

imagine metzen writing code as well as he writes characters

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Afraid of Audio posted:

imagine metzen writing code as well as he writes characters

Something something code is corrupted, etc.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Division of labor is a thing, even in game development though. You aren't going to retask the netcode or physics guys to think of new event costumes and artwork.

This is a neato argument that everyone always rushes to point out. Here's the thing, the artists seem to be working on event poo poo without ever releasing none event poo poo (yes I know Anna/Reinhardt and a map). More stuff to buy with gold was expected, as well as more maps (you need an artist for that right? Not necessarily but for Blizzard most definitely ). Oh what were the programmers doing? Making loving lucio ball.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

im gay posted:

it takes more xp to level up until it hits 22k per level, then resets when you prestige

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

This is a neato argument that everyone always rushes to point out. Here's the thing, the artists seem to be working on event poo poo without ever releasing none event poo poo (yes I know Anna/Reinhardt and a map). More stuff to buy with gold was expected, as well as more maps (you need an artist for that right? Not necessarily but for Blizzard most definitely ). Oh what were the programmers doing? Making loving lucio ball.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

this is very dumb and bad

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

your av and red text are surprisingly accurate.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I looked at Reinhardt's help screen and my eyes bugged out when I saw he only had a difficulty rating of 1-star. Really? He's like one of the hardest characters to use effectively. At least it must explain all the atrocious pubbies I see standing in doorways all game thinking they're helping.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
ITT people who don't have DnC on ignore. And I thought I've seen it all.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

junan_paalla posted:

ITT people who don't have DnC on ignore. And I thought I've seen it all.

PSA: Go to Profile > Ignore this user so you can be like us.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I looked at Reinhardt's help screen and my eyes bugged out when I saw he only had a difficulty rating of 1-star. Really? He's like one of the hardest characters to use effectively. At least it must explain all the atrocious pubbies I see standing in doorways all game thinking they're helping.

I feel like this is definitely geared to really new players to FPS games?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

you can stand in a doorway and hold m2 and still be kinda useful. the rating is basically "how little mechanical skill do you need to perform the basic function of this hero"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can stand in a doorway and hold m2 and still be kinda useful. the rating is basically "how little mechanical skill do you need to perform the basic function of this hero"

Yeah, I agree that good Reinhardt play is more than holding M2 in a doorway but at the same time imagine these same atrocious Reinhardt players trying to play someone like Zarya where you have to juggle two abilities on cooldown to manage your charge and keep an eye on your shields to know when to duck behind cover to let them recharge and when to use M1 (a weapon which relies on good tracking skill to get the most out of it) versus M2, knowing when and how to use Graviton Surge, etc.