Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
GTA 5 had poo poo to do outside of missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Golf!
Darts!
Tennis!
Hunting!
The movies!
The amusement park!
And just going sightseeing!

Not to mention the bajillion side missions.

Whether or not any of this stuff is fun to you is a whole other story.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Deakul posted:

Golf!
Darts!
Tennis!
Hunting!
The movies!
The amusement park!

It loving sucks

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Junkenstein posted:

This is the first time I've seriously considered buying something straight from steam because the extra cost seems like it might be worth it for the insurance of being able to return it.

I forgot about that. I may do that too then.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

littleorv posted:

It loving sucks

How rude.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Deakul posted:

How rude.

Those events you mentioned in GTA5 were all awesome and fun distractions. Littleorv dislikes fun.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Deakul posted:

Golf!
Darts!
Tennis!
Hunting!
The movies!
The amusement park!

I never did any of these things more than once but still consider GTA 5 to be one of my fav games ever. Did every single side mission.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
There are currently a BUNCH of prerelease streams up on Twitch and Youtube, if anyone's interested in spoilers :ssh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never did any of these things more than once but still consider GTA 5 to be one of my fav games ever. Did every single side mission.

I went through every side mission and activity as well but they really were just things you'd probably only do once and didn't have a while lot of replay value (or depth for the most part). Outside the missions you really had to just entertain yourself. It's a shame they seemed to keep most of the 'extras' for the multiplayer - which I was never particularly interested in. Purchasing most of the properties in the game was really only something you could do if you cheesed the gently caress out of the stock market or really, really, really loved grinding. Gotta push those Shark cards!

So far from what I've seen here the game looks pretty average. Not bad but not oh my god $80 day one purchase, either.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

In preparation for this, I never played 2 but I played the first game to death, so I've been playing Mafia 2.

It still looks surprisingly good despite being 6 years old, it oozes atmosphere and has loads of personality.

I have about 5 or 6 hours with the game so far, I've hit some frustrating missions(love getting gang raped by a horde of cops right out of the gate) here and there and it crashed a couple of times.(fixed the crashing by running in Win7 compatibility mode, I'm on Win10)

Otherwise, the combat is merely okay I wouldn't get the game if you want thrilling gunfights and things like that, the voice acting is great, vehicles are fun to drive especially with simulation mode turned on, the sounds of the city... the music... and the vehicles are all spot on and beautiful.

The biggest, absolute biggest mark against the game is obviously the open world. It does nothing with it, it's more of a wide open stage for the story to take place on. There's no side missions and no activities... there's some fun collectibles(vintage Playboy mags!) to hunt down but that's about it. It doesn't bother me THAT much but I'm just laying it out there for potential players that want GTA in the 40s.(get The Saboteur if you want that maybe)

The game has a great story so far and that's definitely enough to keep me playing it, I'm not sure what to expect with the DLC missions, perhaps someone can chime in there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

SilentW posted:

There are currently a BUNCH of prerelease streams up on Twitch and Youtube, if anyone's interested in spoilers :ssh:

I'd say make sure to turn off chat since the exact kind of stream monster you would think is showing in force in many of them, but quite frankly that should be the default reaction no matter what.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Deakul posted:

In preparation for this, I never played 2 but I played the first game to death, so I've been playing Mafia 2.

It still looks surprisingly good despite being 6 years old, it oozes atmosphere and has loads of personality.

I have about 5 or 6 hours with the game so far, I've hit some frustrating missions(love getting gang raped by a horde of cops right out of the gate) here and there and it crashed a couple of times.(fixed the crashing by running in Win7 compatibility mode, I'm on Win10)

Otherwise, the combat is merely okay I wouldn't get the game if you want thrilling gunfights and things like that, the voice acting is great, vehicles are fun to drive especially with simulation mode turned on, the sounds of the city... the music... and the vehicles are all spot on and beautiful.

The biggest, absolute biggest mark against the game is obviously the open world. It does nothing with it, it's more of a wide open stage for the story to take place on. There's no side missions and no activities... there's some fun collectibles(vintage Playboy mags!) to hunt down but that's about it. It doesn't bother me THAT much but I'm just laying it out there for potential players that want GTA in the 40s.(get The Saboteur if you want that maybe)

The game has a great story so far and that's definitely enough to keep me playing it, I'm not sure what to expect with the DLC missions, perhaps someone can chime in there.
Joe's Adventure features is his story line picking up while Vito is serving time, and to be honest I started it, never really got very far into it because I wasn't really compelled to follow what happened to Joe during this period, and knowing what happens to him at the end of Mafia II. I don't think it was necessary for the main story line and would have disrupted the narrative flow had it not been pulled out of the game and sold as DLC. Jimmy's Vendetta is something again I've not really gotten into but it's mini mission icons that are scattered all over the map that you get graded on time and performance ( kill streaks, head shots and that kind of thing ).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Jimmy's Vendetta is literally the side content stripped out of the game by the publisher, which is why the open world is so worthless. I never played any of the DLC though.

Everything you've said about Mafia 2 is true. It's absolutely beautiful at selling atmosphere and story. Just expect the open world to waste your time at points.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
LA Noire had the same problem. Gigantic city that there was no reason to explore. Made even more useless through having your partner able to taxi you around.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
LA Noire's problem was that it tried to be a GTA clone when it should have been more like an adventure game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

ZombyDog posted:

Joe's Adventure features is his story line picking up while Vito is serving time, and to be honest I started it, never really got very far into it because I wasn't really compelled to follow what happened to Joe during this period, and knowing what happens to him at the end of Mafia II. I don't think it was necessary for the main story line and would have disrupted the narrative flow had it not been pulled out of the game and sold as DLC. Jimmy's Vendetta is something again I've not really gotten into but it's mini mission icons that are scattered all over the map that you get graded on time and performance ( kill streaks, head shots and that kind of thing ).

I finished Joe's Adventures yesterday. It was great revisiting the world, I'm still surprised at how detailed it is. The open world is empty but I enjoy just driving around in it with the speed limiter on. I also like the relative realism of it. Cops will react to speeding or hitting traffic, for instance, but won't pull out their guns. Instead they'll attempt to give you a fine (but you can also pretty easily loose them if your wanted level is low). I hope 3 keeps some of that, though I don't count on it.

That said, the DLC is effectively four "real" story missions, in new locations with cutscenes. The rest are set in the open world. A lot of them are fun but they're pretty bare-bones and feel like padding. Also the story is told through images with text before each mission. Maybe it's easier if you play it right after or during the main game but I couldn't follow what was happening at all or who was who.

Anyway, the DLC sated my acute want for more Mafia for now, but I'm looking forward to impressions of this come tomorrow!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I like the launch trailer :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiHOpHbCzM

Also, early GAF and Reddit impressions suggest a good but very repetitive game, which I'm personally okay with.

e: Screenshotted the PC settings menu from an early stream. Looks fine to me.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 6, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Even if the game is garbage I hope they release the song soon.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

kuroiXiru posted:

Looks fine to me.

Yeah max fps of 30 is fine

Hold delete to whistle, nice

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 6, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ripped from one of those comments on Gaf.

quote:

mission structure is insanely repetitive.
weapons are not very varied.
melee kill animations (while satisfying) are not varied enough to keep the satisfaction rolling.
story and writing continues to impress.
not much to explore in the city, basically driving from this "kill everyone" mission to another "kill everyone" mission.
I initially loved the collectibles, but now I'm realizing the only incentive for me to explore the boring buildings of the city is to see naked girls in the playboy magazines
3 hours = 'holy poo poo this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'

Also, talks of major pop in.

I play these games for the story, but Mafia 1 and 2 had mission variation which was awesome. I cannot imagine all they did was put kill missions into the game all drat game.

Is the PC version locked at 30fps??

Edit: With that said I cannot believe I just read a thread on loving Neogaf.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Utnayan posted:

Is the PC version locked at 30fps??

According to twitch streamers, yeah.

Luckily, the human eye can only se

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The side missions are kill everyone. Hopefully the main missions aren't.

Also, I noticed some HORRIFIC pop-in in several pre-release gameplay videos but figured it'd be fixed by release. Guess not.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Updated the OP a bit. Game unlocks for me on steam in one hour (Eastern Australia) and it is not a global launch, it seems. So I removed the times which I added to the OP because they are now wrong. Apparently the day zero patch is around 1gb, but I'm not 100% sure on that, so decrypting and updating might take a little while for some people.

Someone was saying 30fps is locked for the pre-release versions the streamers got an hour or three ago, but I have no clue if that is true or not. We'll have to wait it seems.
I saw a picture, the physical PC release has 6 CDs. hah.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The side missions are kill everyone. Hopefully the main missions aren't.

Also, I noticed some HORRIFIC pop-in in several pre-release gameplay videos but figured it'd be fixed by release. Guess not.

There's apparently a 2 GB+ day one patch. Hopefully that smooths some things out.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

According to twitch streamers, yeah.

Luckily, the human eye can only se

LOL.

I was fired up to check this out on PC this time around since I just replaced by 770 with a 1070. Will see if that is being fixed with the day one patch, if not, that's just crap.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm actually rather excited that even though the game has technical problems and possibly suffers from repetitiveness the writing has universal praise. I can easily forgive repetitive gameplay if the writing is good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I spent 10 dollars to get a decent story so I'm good with that.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

I'm actually rather excited that even though the game has technical problems and possibly suffers from repetitiveness the writing has universal praise. I can easily forgive repetitive gameplay if the writing is good.

Mafia games have always been well written. However, it is good that is being touted as good considering Daniel Vavra left the company in utter disgust after they slashed half of Mafia 2 for DLC. Once he left, that was the main concern I had with Mafia 3 development. I am happy to see the new writer(s) are doing well here. Sounds like they could have invested in some actual game play designers however and character skill building.

They need to address the 60fps issue and the day one patch better resolve the pop in issues as well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

kuroiXiru posted:

I like the launch trailer :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiHOpHbCzM

Also, early GAF and Reddit impressions suggest a good but very repetitive game, which I'm personally okay with.

e: Screenshotted the PC settings menu from an early stream. Looks fine to me.

That is a v good trailer.
The early impressions are about what I expected, glad to hear it gets more varied the longer you play though.
Disappointed in the lack of HUD options, I have noticed that your screen gets loving bombarded with poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

They need to address the 60fps issue and the day one patch better resolve the pop in issues as well.

According to one of the streamers, they talked to a dev who appeared surprised by the lock so it's likely a bug.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

According to one of the streamers, they talked to a dev who appeared surprised by the lock so it's likely a bug.

By the same token, if the dev was surprised then the bug probably won't be fixed by the day one patch.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New nvidia drivers are now out. Also, drat you steam, I thought the game was unlocking 15 minutes ago because the store page said "This game will unlock in approximately an hour' for the whole previous hour, then of course switched over to 'This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour' this hour. Just have a countdown timer. bleh. Oh well, I have Friday off anyway so starting to play a little after 3am is fine by me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've tried looking and looking and haven't found any evidence of motorcycles in the game, anyone know if they're in?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

drunkill posted:

New nvidia drivers are now out. Also, drat you steam, I thought the game was unlocking 15 minutes ago because the store page said "This game will unlock in approximately an hour' for the whole previous hour, then of course switched over to 'This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour' this hour. Just have a countdown timer. bleh. Oh well, I have Friday off anyway so starting to play a little after 3am is fine by me.

Boy they did a ton to optimize for Mafia 3.

quote:

Added or updated 3DV profile.

- Mafia III - not recommended

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/784079131088650241

Hmm.. okay. And let's just go check on those Steam revie... yep, no surprises there.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
They really need to start delaying these games on PC if they can't get an acceptable product out the door at the same time as the console versions. Rushing it out isn't worth the terrible press and refunds.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inkel posted:

Hmm.. okay. And let's just go check on those Steam revie... yep, no surprises there.

Yep, TB's minions are working overtime as usual.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Yeah so with that said above with the PC version this sums it up pretty well.

1) PC version sucks. Lots of crashes, 30 Fps, even a lot of frame hitching has been reported. (After day one patch)
2) Xbox One version sucks. 720p without dynamic scaling and doesn't even hit 30 Fps most of the time.
3) PS4 version is 1080p at 30 FPS and so far so good.

If you own all three devices for gaming, the PS4 version seems to be the way to go this round until patches hit the PC version.

And now we also know why they held back the review copies. Not a shocker.

Looks like the PS4 version for me unless I hear differently from the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm still not sure how people feel more than "drat, that sucks" when a game isn't at 60. I prefer it a lot but it's not going to ruin my day if it's locked to lower, just ends up being a checkmark in the negative column instead of "Game Ruining poo poo".

• Locked thread