Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FormatAmerica posted:

Yeah. Wireless + inside-out tracking, I think.

Looked good & based off the CV1 + a unit attached to the back of the headstrap.

Nice, I hope HTC has an answer to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Good job Oculus @ ASW

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Me too, I'm excited to see more & any development in the VR space. Similar to smartphones, it doesn't really matter if apple, google, samsung, or whomever does stuff first. There will always be benchmarking in the industry & a rising tide will lift all (most) boats.

For example: it looks like they're lifting some of the ideas from PSVR where games may be able to run at half framerate with full-time async timewarp every other frame.

e: it's called "spacewarp" apparently & and has reduced the VR min specifications to a GTX960. Cool.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone notice new min specs is 1 usb3 and 2 usb2??

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Poetic Justice posted:

Anyone notice new min specs is 1 usb3 and 2 usb2??

Yeah it's always been like that.

The only thing that really needs USB3 is the camera.
Microsoft wants you to use usb3 for the xbox one dongle but it's not required.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They've got new in ear headphones. A solution for the people who don't like any noise coming through.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

w00tazn posted:

Yeah it's always been like that.

The only thing that really needs USB3 is the camera.
Microsoft wants you to use usb3 for the xbox one dongle but it's not required.

Actually the camera works fine with USB2 in my experience. I did a lot of comparison testing because I was having some weird issues with my USB3 ports for a bit, and I couldn't tell a difference at all. I think it's the headset itself that needs the USB3 bandwidth, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
$50 earbuds :bandwagon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Touch is $199 and ships Dec. 6th. Preorder on Monday.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Dec 6th . . .

:sad trombone:

edit: And boom, there it is. Finally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey, it supports room scale. Everyone can shut the gently caress up about it now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Unspoken as a pack-in is nice to hear, that seemed cool from the previews.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Hey, it supports room scale. Everyone can shut the gently caress up about it now.

For another $79 lol

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
So a third sensor is needed for Oculus roomscale? Seems like it'll end up being more expensive than Vive when all is said and done.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Uh. Another $280 for Roomscale seems like a hell of a lot.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
It does "360" with just two cameras.

I don't know how many games you guys are playing on Vive but most are 360 and NOT roomscale.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

XOIC of Radishes posted:

So a third sensor is needed for Oculus roomscale? Seems like it'll end up being more expensive than Vive when all is said and done.
No, but if you want to add more to prevent potential occlusion issues, you have the option.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The three sensors is for having finer tracking forward facing and full roomscale as well. You can do it fine with two. And $80 per sensor is cheaper than I was expecting.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I gotta get some PCI-E based USB 3.0 cards or something. I don't have enough ports for this poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah they still need to clarify what 360 means and what room scale means. I'm guessing 360 is the same as the standing configuration for SteamVR. Standing and the smallest room scale you can set up might as well be the same thing. I'm guessing they mean three cameras for large room scale which is probably because of the limited range of the cameras. Even if that's true, three cameras will be better tracking than two lighthouses. Even less chance for occlusion.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

FormatAmerica posted:

I gotta get some PCI-E based USB 3.0 cards or something. I don't have enough ports for this poo poo.

I might run out of loving PCI-E lanes at this rate

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
These games seriously all look great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty excited to try out Touch with these games.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah although it's gonna be a bit of a wait to get the controllers, I'm sooooo looking forward to these games.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

I bought a mobo in 2011 and it had like 6 usb3 and 8 usb2 ports?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just don't try to use the ASMedia drivers for the X99 that supposedly fixes Oculus support on the old X79 boards. It installs, but will endlessly Bluescreen upon boot until you get into safe mode and roll those suckers back. Ugh.

Sweet stuff announced today. This has to be the best Oculus Presentation and reveal than anything they had done prior to CV1. Amazing what you can do when you keep Palmer in his room.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just don't try to use the ASMedia drivers for the X99 that supposedly fixes Oculus support on the old X79 boards. It installs, but will endlessly Bluescreen upon boot until you get into safe mode and roll those suckers back. Ugh.

Sweet stuff announced today. This has to be the best Oculus Presentation and reveal than anything they had done prior to CV1. Amazing what you can do when you keep Palmer in his room.

And have uncle zuck' throw a gazillion dollars at it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They REALLY need to do inside-out tracking because honestly, gently caress the cameras and lighthouses. I only approve of the Lighthouses because I don't have to plug them into my camera and they're not restricted by a length of a USB cable. I wouldn't even be able to use a Rift room scale if I wanted due to my set-up and lack of free USB ports.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does anyone think the new SpaceWarp ability opens up Oculus to better easily support Xbox One (Scorpio) now than before?

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 6, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does anyone thing the new SpaceWarp ability opens up Oculus to better easily support Xbox One (Scorpio) now than before?
Oh for sure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It dropped the min spec to an i3 6100 and a GTX 960 so Scorpio (if it ever exists) could probably do VR.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It dropped the min spec to an i3 6100 and a GTX 960 so Scorpio (if it ever exists) could probably do VR.

Foveated rendering should make a huge difference when it becomes a thing as well.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oculus roomscale: $599 + $199 + $79 = $877 +presumably some USB & HDMI extenders. How much is Vive, $799?
Those newly announced games look great, though I don't think they're available at launch (I don't think I saw them in the launch lineup video).
e: this is good too https://twitter.com/CloudheadGames/status/784092228910133248

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2016

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I'm wondering if they can drop the Rift price or bundle all the roomscale stuff at $799 to try and stay competitive. Or offer all the preorder people a discount on the Touch controllers. None of that will probably happen, but I can hope.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
They should really put out detailed specs on what they consider "Room Scale" because like if 2 cameras in the corners works fine for small/medium rooms then the 3rd camera may only be necessary for the "large" room.

Not sure till more info comes out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not likely. (¯`·._.·[ PaLmEr LuCkEy ]·._.·´¯) said back at the Rift launch the 600 dollar price of the Rift is the discount. Using all the fancy materials has locked them into a higher price.

w00tazn posted:

They should really put out detailed specs on what they consider "Room Scale" because like if 2 cameras in the corners works fine for small/medium rooms then the 3rd camera may only be necessary for the "large" room.

Not sure till more info comes out.

Based on the 11 foot limit on the cameras, I'm thinking the three cameras is needed for large room scale. Putting the two cameras 11 feet apart would give you a 7x7ft play space. So in order to get a bigger area, you need more cameras. 3 cameras 11 feet apart could give you an 11x11ft play space.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Caseman posted:

I'm wondering if they can drop the Rift price or bundle all the roomscale stuff at $799 to try and stay competitive. Or offer all the preorder people a discount on the Touch controllers. None of that will probably happen, but I can hope.

Roomscale generally works fine with just 2, 3 is so you can have the 270degree front facing finer controls of Touch while also walking around a large space without occlusion. For any current roomscale game out right now, 2 works just fine. I think most people will be perfectly happy with two setup diagonal if they want to do roomscale.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While the Rift is potentially a bit higher, if you are using the Vive you aren't getting the built in Audio (which for me, cost about $99 for Wireless Headphones) to make the Roomscale less of a pain in the rear end with more cables. So Eh...

Only thing still kinda bumming me out on my Rift is the stock face foam does suck. Has anyone used that VRCOVER's new replacement pads? Hate to buy more from them but they really are still the only guys in town. drat you Aboutface! :argh:

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Why would they give a discount to the only people likely to buy their product in volume?

Oculus has been all about lock-in, now that they have people committed for $600 + their software library is when they get to make their money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oooh Abrash, we haven't heard from him in a long time