Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saigyouji posted:

There's a kid in the Gold Saucer who looks like a Hyur whose father is a Roe, although maybe Roe kids just look like Hyur.
Maybe they're adopted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

SICKNESS MUST BE PURGED

I usually like Tataru, but I can't take her seriously after her talking about needing LOTS OF MONEYYYYYYYYYYYY while the camera was on Haurchefant's grave.

She just wanted to stress that the scions were in trouble. They had l i t t l e m o n e y

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

There really aren't a whole lot of strong racial stereotypes within the game. Nothing like "all orcs love to fight" or "all elves love nature" or whatever. Most of the stereotypes come more from nationality than from race. For example, you could say that a lot lalafels are greedy capitalists, but that's more because a lot of lalafels are citizens of Ul'dah, not because they're lalafels. There are some tendencies, like roegadyns tend to be melee fighters due to their bulk, but for the most part the lore matches up with the idea that everyone can do anything. There are plenty of roegadyn mages and lalafel fighters.

This is honestly how I prefer my fantasy to handle race. It's far better than the alternative of racial essentialism which tends to send real uncomfort messages real fast.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only two times I can think of where race comes up in quests are the LNC questline (where there's some stereotype against Duskwights), and in that Doman kids sidequest with 'Lalafell!'.

I think there were bits of the MSQ that there was some stereotype against Duskwights as well.

And then there's the ARC quests where Silvairre thinks no one can be successful as an archer unless they are a Wildwood born in Gridania, but that's just as much nationality as race. I'm not sure if PC Wildwood are marginally less loathed by him; PC Duskwights are not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm late on the "easiest DPS" chat but I'd nominate dragoon. It has a lot of buttons, yes, but the rotation is such that you press them in the same order each time, every time, so once you learn it its pretty easy to get right. Just do that, use your handful of ogcds and cooldowns, try not to elusive jump off a cliff, and boom.

Only thing I dislike about playing drg is its aoe attacks, since they drain tp too fast and kill too slow for my liking, but even that isn't "hard" so much as unsatisfying. You also get the heaviest armor of any dps so you get a little more leeway to stand in fire.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm late on the "easiest DPS" chat but I'd nominate dragoon. It has a lot of buttons, yes, but the rotation is such that you press them in the same order each time, every time, so once you learn it its pretty easy to get right. Just do that, use your handful of ogcds and cooldowns, try not to elusive jump off a cliff, and boom.

Only thing I dislike about playing drg is its aoe attacks, since they drain tp too fast and kill too slow for my liking, but even that isn't "hard" so much as unsatisfying. You also get the heaviest armor of any dps so you get a little more leeway to stand in fire.
You also have the risk of Blood dropping prematurely when a boss jumps or goes invuln, and as seems to be the new usual there's a fair chunk of that this patch. A11, A12, balloon boss in Xelphatol, Tome Demon and Strix in Library to some extent. BLM has a similar problem with Enochian but it's mitigated by cast range being half the arena rather than DRG having to be in melee range.

e: and since I would never say BLM when BRD existed there's no way I'm saying DRG if we're just talking easiest, is what I mean.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How bad is DRG's rotation-changing buff dropping prematurely compared to a BLM losing Enochian early, as far as DPS numbers go, anyway

I remember reading somewhere that against a single target the lost potency was surprisingly small

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

I think there were bits of the MSQ that there was some stereotype against Duskwights as well.

And then there's the ARC quests where Silvairre thinks no one can be successful as an archer unless they are a Wildwood born in Gridania, but that's just as much nationality as race. I'm not sure if PC Wildwood are marginally less loathed by him; PC Duskwights are not.

I was still a wildwood elf then but he was still an rear end in a top hat to me. I'm going to assume the fact that you come to Eorzea at all means he's a dick, not keyed to any particular race or starting city.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me of something I really like about the game, no matter what your character creator choices are, you're still an outsider at the start. It's just something I enjoy, that your PC is always some poor schlub from out in the wilderness where they don't have aethernet or battle chocos or triple triad. So many things about your character make sense because of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ciaphas posted:

How bad is DRG's rotation-changing buff dropping prematurely compared to a BLM losing Enochian early, as far as DPS numbers go, anyway

I remember reading somewhere that against a single target the lost potency was surprisingly small

Its really not that bad if you're able to shift and adjust your combo accordingly. Basically to keep DPS up with BOTD down you need to shift around when you phlebotomize and you do three combos (two full thrusts and a chaos thrust) instead of two inside each heavy thrust. The order of the combos will depend on the situation.

If you stick with the HW rotation of HT-> CT combo -> Phlebotomize -> FT combo after dropping BotD you'll see a sizable DPS drop because you're clipping 4 ticks of CT and 2-3 of Phlebotomize. Note that whenever BotD comes back up, for top DPS you should adjust your combos accordingly. Don't clip 4+ ticks off chaos thrust just because BotD came back up. Basically be flexible, keep your dots up without major clipping, and you wont lose too much DPS wise.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

Losing BotD means you can't use Fang & Claw and Wheeling Thrust to end your combos. Those are 290 potency each if you hit the positionals (200 if you don't). The only GCD attacks that's stronger than those is full thrust at 360. You also can't use geirskogul which is a free 200 potency attack every 10 seconds, and your jumps do 30% less damage.

I don't have the numbers but it seems like not having BotD up is a pretty significant DPS loss. You do your 50 rotation similar to BLM if it's down.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me of something I really like about the game, no matter what your character creator choices are, you're still an outsider at the start. It's just something I enjoy, that your PC is always some poor schlub from out in the wilderness where they don't have aethernet or battle chocos or triple triad. So many things about your character make sense because of that.

It does get funny doing the early DoL quests and having the quest givers saying "Oh, you probably don't know what materia is, I'll tell you." and "I'm sure you have a friend who can meld materia for you." when you're a level 60 crafter, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is honestly how I prefer my fantasy to handle race. It's far better than the alternative of racial essentialism which tends to send real uncomfort messages real fast.

Definitely agreed, and it's one of the many things that make me prefer this game over a certain other MMO. Why the heck can't my orc be a paladin if he really wants to be?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Definitely agreed, and it's one of the many things that make me prefer this game over a certain other MMO. Why the heck can't my orc be a paladin if he really wants to be?

I'm still baffled that is a thing in 2016.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I recall reading people saying that there are NPCs who say that cross species breeding is frowned upon in Eorzea, which is why there aren't really any hybrids but I couldn't actually tell you who those NPCs are or what you need to do to see that.

They're probably talking about the intro to Wanderer's Palace (Hard) where the npc couple, as I recall, mention that they basically left their hometown because their relationship wasn't approved of. Well it's either that or that they were a gay couple but given how little the rest of the world seems to care about that it's probably them being different races. I don't think the dialogue actually specifies and I'm not sure where to look it up at.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tortolia posted:

I was still a wildwood elf then but he was still an rear end in a top hat to me. I'm going to assume the fact that you come to Eorzea at all means he's a dick, not keyed to any particular race or starting city.

I just figured maybe he'd be slightly less of a dick, since as far as I can tell he has no concept whatsoever of how not to be a dick. Thanks for letting me know this, though!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

seiferguy posted:

Losing BotD means you can't use Fang & Claw and Wheeling Thrust to end your combos. Those are 290 potency each if you hit the positionals (200 if you don't). The only GCD attacks that's stronger than those is full thrust at 360. You also can't use geirskogul which is a free 200 potency attack every 10 seconds, and your jumps do 30% less damage.

I don't have the numbers but it seems like not having BotD up is a pretty significant DPS loss. You do your 50 rotation similar to BLM if it's down.

I just did some quick math and if you adjust your combos accordingly you only lose out on an average of 8-10 potency per GCD without BotD. The 30% loss from jump and spineshatter hurts for sure since jump with BotD and power surge is your strongest single attack, but overall the net loss on DPS for me at least is usually around 5-10% which jives with my quick and dirty math.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

The main drawback is the lack of bonus damage that botd lets you do, not necessarily the extra finishers themselves. As someone who mostly tanks, it's very easy to tell the difference between a drg using the level 50 rotation at 60, and one who makes the most of botd.

fake edit: That said, the finishers do contribute a significant amount of damage. It's just that the difference between DRGs who use their ghost dragons and jumps and those who do nothing but their gcd combo is pretty big.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Lore-wise, the city states do have a lot of one / two races condensed into them. Gridiana has a lot of wood elves and mooncattes, Ul'Dah has lots of Dunesfolk Lalafells and Highlanders, Limsa has lots of Sea Wolves Roes, Plaisnfolk lalas, and Suncattes. Midlanders are everywhere. Duskwight Elezen straight up avoid city states.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Eopia posted:

They're probably talking about the intro to Wanderer's Palace (Hard) where the npc couple, as I recall, mention that they basically left their hometown because their relationship wasn't approved of. Well it's either that or that they were a gay couple but given how little the rest of the world seems to care about that it's probably them being different races. I don't think the dialogue actually specifies and I'm not sure where to look it up at.

I seem to remember Koji weighing in on this at one point and confirming that it was about their races and not their genders. I don't remember a lot of actual in-game lore talking about the issue of cross-species children, but yeah, it's apparently frowned upon for whatever reason. The big thing about a certain Heavensward character is that Hilda is a double-whammy of being both a bastard(is there a lady equal term for the word?) born of noble blood, and being born from Elezen and Hyur parents. Said character is also really cool, so I hope we see them in more capacity eventually.

e: To add onto that, Ishgard is primarly ruled by Elezen, but there are a large amount of Midlander Hyur soldiers and citizens like Alberic, the former Azure Dragoon. Ala Mhigo is home to the vast majority of Highlander Hyurs, but there are also many Midlanders with dark complections that have Ala Mhigan blood, like Wilred.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Eopia posted:

I went to go look up the quest in XIVDB and realized they have the quest dialogue right there. Spiffy!

http://xivdb.com/quest/65967

quote:

We...we had grown rather fond of the tonberries while living amongst them. They have good hearts, no matter how odd their appearance. None of that should matter anyway. This fellow is Hyuran and I am Miqo'te; are we lesser a couple for our difference? I should think not!

quote:

My dearest and I know their pain all too well. We both had to leave our birthplace. Why, you ask? Simply because we were different. No, we will not sit idly by and let the tonberries be subjected to such terrible treatment!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ahhhhh im finally done

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eopia posted:

You can look up any and all quest dialogue on Garland Tools.

quote:

HUNTERSBUDDY00431
The howling, the blood─and so many dead! As if that weren't enough, the surviving tonberries were locked away deep in the ruins! Why in the name of the Twelve do they deserve such a fate, I ask you!
We...we had grown rather fond of the tonberries while living amongst them. They have good hearts, no matter how odd their appearance. None of that should matter anyway. This fellow is Hyuran and I am Miqo'te; are we lesser a couple for our difference? I should think not!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just did some quick math and if you adjust your combos accordingly you only lose out on an average of 8-10 potency per GCD without BotD. The 30% loss from jump and spineshatter hurts for sure since jump with BotD and power surge is your strongest single attack, but overall the net loss on DPS for me at least is usually around 5-10% which jives with my quick and dirty math.

Makes sense. Dropping Enochian as a BLM hurts a lot more than dropping BotD, since it means you're losing out on 280 potency Fire4s in favor of 180 potency Fire1s. So to answer the question of "what hurts to drop more" it's definitely enochian.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isn't longhaft (the guy with the two catgirl groupies) a hyur?

Though it makes sense for Miqote to jump ship more than the other races, if only so they don't have to constantly compete for the 1% of the male's attention that they'd get normally. Male miqote that aren't breeding males might have interracial relationships for obvious reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm just glad A9S isn't too long of a fight and I've got a ninja to goad me because gently caress there's a lot of AOEing to do in that fight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I totally forgot the wanderers keep hard NPCs were a gay couple

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kuvo posted:

ahhhhh im finally done
Where's the screenshot of your crafting and gathering classes?

Just kidding, nice job. No way am I ever doing that with all the adventuring classes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just glad A9S isn't too long of a fight and I've got a ninja to goad me because gently caress there's a lot of AOEing to do in that fight.

It's the first time in quite a while that I've had to worry about my TP as a warrior.

Blockhouse posted:

I totally forgot the wanderers keep hard NPCs were a gay couple

I wonder what the dialogue is in the Japanese version, because this definitely seems like something the localization team would add in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kuvo posted:

ahhhhh im finally done

I'm like eight levels total from being similarly done but they're divided between paladin and white mage and I'd rather saw off my toes than play those

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I'm like eight levels total from being similarly done but they're divided between paladin and white mage and I'd rather saw off my toes than play those

Just do beastmen dailies then

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It isn't too terribly long but it has 100% uptime and is the first time since Gordias that I've had to be really careful about managing my tp. That said, the adds melt so fast to Bane'd summoner/scholar dots that I don't have much need to AoE myself unless I'm fluffing a parse. A couple Rockbreakers and everything is already dead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We run DRK/WAR/NIN/DRG/BRD/BLM/AST/SCH. I could probably get away with not doing any aoe, but 2-3 doom spikes aren't going to kill me.

My favorite AOE is still A6S on the first robot. If you position it just right you can hit all 5 with ring of thorns so its one of the few times in the game that just flat out RoT spamming is the best thing to do.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Tortolia posted:

I'm still baffled that is a thing in 2016.

Actually I identify as a night elf mohawk irl

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Lore-wise, the city states do have a lot of one / two races condensed into them. Gridiana has a lot of wood elves and mooncattes, Ul'Dah has lots of Dunesfolk Lalafells and Highlanders, Limsa has lots of Sea Wolves Roes, Plaisnfolk lalas, and Suncattes. Midlanders are everywhere. Duskwight Elezen straight up avoid city states.

Gridania was founded by the Hyur and Elezen during the Pact of Gelmorra. They're there, but I wouldn't consider the Keepers of the Moon as having a significant population in the Shroud area compared to the Midlanders. While they can be found everywhere, Gridania specifically could be considered a Midlander dense region alongside the Wildwoods. Keepers of the Moon are definitely way under represented though, along with Hellsguard Roes. And it feels like Duskwights mostly show up when a smallfry villain is needed.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well I don't see any miqo'te making anatomically correct dolls of their dead friends unlike a certain knife eared friend of ours.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Lalafell are bad because people see the panic emote from Tataru/Fufulupa and think 'I wanna be that!' instead of seeing the actions of Momodi, Papashan and Pipin and basing their idea of Lalafells around them.
Or in shorter words, too few people play them for the 'look how badass and cute I am' aspect in favor of the 'OMG LOOK AT ME I'M SO CUTE PET ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME LOVE ME DANGIT' aspect.

Nationality being a focus over typical race congregations is a really neat aspect to the world that I also like.

Kuvo posted:

ahhhhh im finally done

I just finished up my crafters a few days ago. I had those done a loooooooong time ago. (But seriously, congrats.)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

seiferguy posted:

A fair number of Highlanders are Ala Mhigan, it should be mentioned.

I can't speak with accuracy regarding the racial makeup of Ishgard but it seems like mostly elezen?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Just recently started playing Dragoon, and I have a couple questions:

I've seen a couple online guides mention mixing in Fracture in addition to Phlebotomize, in dps rotations. Is this as bad an idea as it sounds?

When gearing, should I take advantage of the fact that I can wear heavier armor than other DPS classes, or is it better to stick with whatever gear gives the most Str? Is there even a difference between the two at higher levels (I'm currently low-30s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder what the dialogue is in the Japanese version, because this definitely seems like something the localization team would add in.

If I have the right of it, the Japanese version is basically the same.

http://ja.xivdb.com/quest/65967/not+easy+being+green posted:

アタイら、一緒に暮らすうちに、すっかり情が湧いてさ。 姿かたちは違っても、心は通じあうものなのよ! ……アタイら自身がほら、種族も性別も超えたカップルだしね?

• Locked thread