Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

proof of concept posted:

could be way worse but the dude is no magazine model that's for sure

OK that's not really fair, that's a 3/4 profile and you're tracing a line at different lengths from the plane of the camera, so of course it's going to curve like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My favorite post in the CD thread is when one guy brings together all the commentary lines from Lucas and the other staff that contradicts CD's crazy theories that it was some work of intentional genius.

And then someone is like "So, Lucas is lying about the contents of his films?".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Or this one.

quote:

"George Lucas did everything in the Star Wars prequels intentionally" is a deepity. On one level, this is true. Lucas did do everything in these films intentionally, in the sense that he did not throw toy letters on the ground to name characters or pull plot points out of a bingo roller or spin a wheel to determine camera position. This is true but trivial. The other meaning of this claim, the one that sounds profound and would be earth-shattering if true, is that Lucas did everything intentionally, in the sense that it was all part of his master plan to deconstruct heroism and the presuppositions of which that we are still to this day unpacking. This would be earth-shattering if true. Because remember, it's not just everything in the films that he did intentionally. His and others' statements on the commentary tracks that do nothing to support this theory and in fact undermine it at every turn? Part of the plan. All those clips of him looking like a fat dumbass flying by the seat of his pants? Those are acting, or deceptive editing, or our mortal brains being unable to truly comprehend. So let's say that's all true. Now we run into issues of theology. He did everything intentionally. So he intended for Little Anakin to be a hated embarrassment, knowing how the audience would react, probably as some kind of metacommentary about how we hate Darth Vader or fuckin whatever. But as a result of his intentional plan to choose a bad actor and write and direct him badly on purpose, poor Jake Lloyd was bullied incessantly, which may have contributed to his problems later in life. Lloyd was probably not aware of this intentional plan, nor were his parents. Isn't it unethical to knowingly set up an innocent child to be bullied literally halfway to insanity? Or what about Ahmed Best or Hayden Christensen? Did they sign up to have their careers destroyed and be laughingstocks as a result of Lucas' devious plot to make their characters lovely on purpose? Was throwing a hissy tantrum and quitting Star Wars because people criticized him also part of the plan? Why or why not?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I know the HitB for this was ages and ages ago, but I recently followed up on the recommendation of Turbo Kid and wholeheartedly enjoyed it. It was fun, incredibly charming, and had an absolutely glorious synth soundtrack. I really hope the sequel to it will be just as good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Edge of Tomorrow was really good, and I really enjoyed seeing it, but they were spot on that a different lead would've sold that movie so much better.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

jBrereton posted:

Does Edge of Tomorrow/Pacific Rim not count?

Pacific Rim was more of a monster movie cartoon come to life

Edge of Tomorrow was definitely sort of a war movie, though the "war" parts were few and it was mostly just groundhog day with Tom cruise running around trying to solve stuff.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

Or this one.

I like that there is a specific term for what cined does because the magnitude of the stupidity demands its own stupid word 'deepity'

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Clawtopsy posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was really good, and I really enjoyed seeing it, but they were spot on that a different lead would've sold that movie so much better.

What!! Cruise is a movie seller IMO. He's loving insane but I'll pretty much watch any movie he's in.

I think he does a good job

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

What!! Cruise is a movie seller IMO. He's loving insane but I'll pretty much watch any movie he's in.

I think he does a good job

He looks and sounds like a robot doing the same gritty, monotone acting for almost every movie he's in (I guess he's being typecasted, but whatever), I hate to repeat myself but the only time the acted differently was in Tropic Thunder.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I highly enjoy the mission impossible movies (besides the second one) and pretty much everything Cruise is in, I don't like him as a person but I love his movies.

I somewhat agree with Mike and Jay when they say his movies are great despite him, not because of him.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Can we talk about the pictures for sad children kickstarter and the dead hornets?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Can we talk about the pictures for sad children kickstarter and the dead hornets?

no. why.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Why is (Anakin/Kylo) so great when his character is the exact same sort of immature, trying to be a toughguy, tantrum-throwing petty poo poo as (Kylo/Anakin), who all of you think is so horrible?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
TFA doesn't spend three movies trying to portray Kylo Ren as some kind of tragic ubermensch.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the guy who plays kylo ren can actually act also, which is an advantage when you're an actor in a movie

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
it also helps when you have a director who knows how to direct actors and actresses into providing compelling performances.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zzulu posted:

the guy who plays kylo ren can actually act also, which is an advantage when you're an actor in a movie

It was stylistically designed to be that way - JJ Abrams

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why is (Anakin/Kylo) so great when his character is the exact same sort of immature, trying to be a toughguy, tantrum-throwing petty poo poo as (Kylo/Anakin), who all of you think is so horrible?

Probably because Kylo is the antagonist instead of the protagonist therefore its okay if we don't relate to or sympathize with him.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
it also helps when screenwriters create a script with a story arc of establishing stuff, then changing them, having a low point then overcoming it, reaching a climax before going to the denouement. Instead of just derailing all of it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
it also helps because the prequels are bad and tfa is ok-ish.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

JediTalentAgent posted:

Because he's a villain and not the protagonist.

It works thematically because he's a Darth Vader wannabe, except he fails to be like Darth Vader when Vader was cool, but ironically is more like Vader when he sucked.

I'm kind of torn on Kylo Ren though, because while I think his characterization is interesting and clever, he's also really, really pathetic and doesn't feel even remotely threatening or dangerous. A big part of what made Darth Vader and the Empire so great is that they seemed practically unstoppable, so you root for desperate underdogs going up against impossible odds. Rey pretty much humiliated Kylo Ren at every chance she got. The stakes don't feel so high when your hero totally punks the bad guy with no training or effort.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Gammatron 64 posted:

It works thematically because he's a Darth Vader wannabe, except he fails to be like Darth Vader when Vader was cool, but ironically is more like Vader when he sucked.

I'm kind of torn on Kylo Ren though, because while I think his characterization is interesting and clever, he's also really, really pathetic and doesn't feel even remotely threatening or dangerous. A big part of what made Darth Vader and the Empire so great is that they seemed practically unstoppable, so you root for desperate underdogs going up against impossible odds. Rey pretty much humiliated Kylo Ren at every chance she got. The stakes don't feel so high when your hero totally punks the bad guy with no training or effort.

I'm guessing Kylo is going to turn good again and then they have to fight the real big bad guy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think that's less to do with Kylo being a weak villain and more to do with Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

the thing is most people are of the idea that Ren is going to grow as a character unlike Vader who mostly remained Vader up until the very end. He gained motivation along the way when he told luke about his plan to overthrow the emperor so maybe i'm wrong?!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Anybody who is trying so hard to be selfish and short sighted but then has to complain out loud to the audience that he is still feeling the pull of the forces of good should probably get another pass or two on their characterization imo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm guessing Kylo is going to turn good again and then they have to fight the real big bad guy.

Yeah. See, I think it would be interesting if they purposely left Rey on Jakku because she was too strong and they were worried she would turn to the dark side. Maybe she is the reincarnation of Anakin and Luke was like "oh poo poo, hell no, we're not going to have this happen again."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gammatron 64 posted:

tbf when they fought ren had a hole in his abdomen and that new emperor dude is supposed to be giving him some more training so I guess when Ep 8 comes around they'll make him a bigger threat, maybe.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's less to do with Kylo being a weak villain and more to do with Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue.

I'll ask again, what are they going to do with Finn? His one thing was pretending to know about the new death star and its gone? and now he's dead and prolly gay and that's about it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Libelous Slander posted:

Its cool that you have this one characteristic to latch onto. It makes you seem very secure and not at all fragile

Manlet spotted.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah. Aside from blowing up the Death Star, Luke was pretty bad at the whole hero thing until Return of the Jedi. In ANH he was an inexperienced, dorky, naive kid. In Empire in particular he really struggled with Yoda's training and had his rear end handed to him by Vader. Finally, in Jedi, he had grown into a wise and experienced adult and finally managed to succeed in his quest.

Rey on the other hand automatically knows how to fly the Falcon like a pro as well as fix it. She can do a Jedi mind trick with no training and manages to escape on her own. Then she kicks the bad guy's rear end like its no big thing. Her only real flaw is that she wants to avoid her destiny.

I would also be pissed if she isn't a Skywalker because that would totally derail the story to the past 6 movies almost as much as if Palpatine came back in a clone body and turned Luke bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I'll ask again, what are they going to do with Finn? His one thing was pretending to know about the new death star and its gone? and now he's dead and prolly gay and that's about it.

I love my dead gay stormtrooper son.

If the writers were creative they'd have Rey turn to or at least struggle with the dark side, or have any sort of flaws or character development of any sort. If they just want to make their poo poo rhyme they could have her be a vader figure who turns bad then right at the end redeems herself. Finn would be the more Luke like character who shows Kylo the power of gay love and turns him good to help stop Rey.

Alternatively maybe write a story that isn't just the same poo poo we've seen over and over with new faces who are all of course related to each other and previous characters.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rey being good at everything right off the bat will be cool and good if she turns out to be the villain and what we're actually getting in these movies are two simultaneous villain and hero journeys with Rey becoming a bad guy and Finn becoming a hero (he was defeated just like Luke, now he gotta step up)

Alternatively Kylo Ren has a change of heart and becomes the good guy and and

sigh i just want the movies to surprise me a bit, the first one was so generic and predictable

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
TFA had too many old people in it. ANH had one it was more than enough.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

TFA had too many old people in it. ANH had one it was more than enough.

#ageshaming *slidewhistle*

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf when they fought ren had a hole in his abdomen and that new emperor dude is supposed to be giving him some more training so I guess when Ep 8 comes around they'll make him a bigger threat, maybe.

before the fight he was punching himself in the wound to get himself angry and worked up to be able to do dark side force stuff

he's a whiny brat who's being manipulated by the hologram monster guy but next movie he's going to be a bigger threat because monster scar head man is going to complete his training

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think they will probably make Kylo a good guy, why else did they cast such a goofy looking guy to play him?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
to justify his need for the dumb mask to make him look scarier than his real face looks?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nanomashoes posted:

Manlet spotted.

Embarrassing, lazy, pointless, bad. Dsmp.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Rey should become a half-jedi half space angel and block death star attacks with her lightsaber and get a hoverboard and do oilies off of the Millennium Falcon while chopping troopers in half and be president of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

temple posted:

Rey should become a half-jedi half space angel and block death star attacks with her lightsaber and get a hoverboard and do oilies off of the Millennium Falcon while chopping troopers in half and be president of the galaxy.

and then she can finally legalize space weed

• Locked thread