Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ArmZ posted:

Cameron is right they should wait on the IPO. They don't need it to expand to other platforms and they'll be worth 5 times as much then. She was right about the credit cards too. Her problem is she doesn't know how to communicate or interact with people, a lot like you nerds.

The argument is that the second word gets out of their valuation there would be hundreds of companies trying to emulate them, and there is nothing stopping someone from ripping them off (which is what happened with westnet). Besides, anyone with any experience with Cameron can see through her and that this is a stalling tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Where are they in the show, 87-88 ish? With 20/20 hindsight, waiting 2 years seems like a terrible idea since BBS's were near the end of their peak. Granted, I was still a member of BBS's up until '95 but membership was declining through the 90's and I spent more way more time on Compuserve.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's 1986-87. NES was released late '85. Somewhere around here is when the precursor to AOL started up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Top Gun on home video gets name dropped in this week's episode so that's gonna be late '86ish.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
It's a good thing they weren't playing Top Gun on NES. Cameron would have really broke the TV after trying to land on that goddamn aircraft carrier.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Top Gun on home video gets name dropped in this week's episode so that's gonna be late '86ish.

Movies took about one year to video back then so that would put it spring-early summer '87.

fake edit; looked it up, March '87

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Med School posted:

It's a good thing they weren't playing Top Gun on NES. Cameron would have really broke the TV after trying to land on that goddamn aircraft carrier.

I'm in my 30's and to this day i've still never successfully landed on that goddamn aircraft carrier.

It's worse than that hovercraft Battletoads level.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Gonz posted:

I'm in my 30's and to this day i've still never successfully landed on that goddamn aircraft carrier.

It's worse than that hovercraft Battletoads level.

It's the worst!

The episode with the hidden chimney liquor made me wonder how much secret drinking Cameron could be doing off screen. That would explain a lot of her antisocial, superior, can't be bothered attitudes towards everyone. She's really just another rear end in a top hat, alcoholic genius like Rick from Rick and Morty.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I watched that Silicon Cowboys documentary recently and it got me to give this show another go. For reasons I now cannot remember I watched 5 episodes during season 1 and just didn't get into it. I'm just about caught up now in the span of a week and god drat this show is the best! I think I quit watching right before it really got going so shame on me. Season 2 is incredible.

Joe is in some part about John McAfee correct? I just hope when the show ends they do those little "what happened to them later" blurbs and Joe's has some line like "accused of murder in Belize. currently running for president."

EDIT: I'm just about caught up with season 3 episodes.

EDIT2: Just saw Joe get his HIV call. He totally got a HIV positive call right?

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 2, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Med School posted:

It's the worst!

She's really just another rear end in a top hat, alcoholic genius like Rick from Rick and Morty.

Rick is usually right about things though.

Cameron is simply the arrogant dev who thinks they're best because they do complex coding while normal business plebs are stupid because they don't understand it. She's just in a position of power which lets her lord it over better coders below her (see her dismissal of C++ or any other good ideas because it wasn't 'her' code).

I see that a lot in my line of work.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Cameron's in love with her baby to a fault. It's such a common trait when something gets big fast. Plus she doesn't have the experience as the others do so there's that nice adults vs kids things being setup which I would not be too surprised if Cameron calls an actual mutiny. It's echoing the situation back at Cardiff somewhat.

Season 3 is much better as they're actually having the characters actions and reactions play off each other and it finally gives it a pulse that I felt was sorely lacking from the other series where they sort of seemed to float around each other and do things but not interact with each other over the outcomes.

Ryan is this season's weakpoint as he feels pretty shoehorned in. But there's a bit of an arching theme going on about the adults vs the kids and the divide between them this series so in some way he's there to have that play out with Joe's arc, such as having him in the board meeting to begin with and his actions in the last episode.

Three episodes to go. the finale is called NeXT

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

For reasons I now cannot remember I watched 5 episodes during season 1 and just didn't get into it. I'm just about caught up now in the span of a week and god drat this show is the best! I think I quit watching right before it really got going so shame on me.

No need to feel hard on you, the first half of season 1 was definitely a different type of show. You can tell that AMC was looking to make Mad Men but with computers instead of advertising and in the 80s instead of the 60s. Joe Macmillan was about as transparent a Don Draper influence as could be. But around halfway through they dropped that aspect and focused more on bringing Donna and Cameron in more and it took off.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

WebDog posted:

Ryan is this season's weakpoint as he feels pretty shoehorned in. But there's a bit of an arching theme going on about the adults vs the kids and the divide between them this series so in some way he's there to have that play out with Joe's arc, such as having him in the board meeting to begin with and his actions in the last episode.

The end of this latest episode made me think that they planned this from the beginning of the season. I'm not sure what was on the drives that he drilled and set fire to vs what he released to the media, but it seems like they planned this from the start of the season. A Joe moment, but from someone else since Joe wasn't able to do it. Once again on the verge of a massive success and millions of dollars, and then... *poof* it's gone

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

We do plot and plan series arcs. Nothing is accidental.

Ryan is a bit weak because he's not had much to do beyond being another wonderkid that Joe has taken advantage of. He needed to be fleshed out and compared to the more developed characters looks dull.

Ryan was trying to please Joe by making Citadel (the antivirus) free as he originally planned. Plus that's now breaching Macmillan's copyrights etc etc.

He's destroying the drive to hide evidence he had the source and thinks he's covered his tracks as a result. Either it will bite Joe or he'll wait to burn Ryan out of spite.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drilling the drives was extreme overkill since there was no data recovery then. He more likely would have used software then maybe a magnet if he was super paranoid. To my knowledge the first data recovery in a criminal investigation was in the eighties and included taping a floppy disc back together with scotch tape but I don't believe the data was scrambled.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yeah ryan using a drill to destroy an ancient hard drive platter seemed really anachronistic to me and more likely included to add to SMART COMPUTER GUY mystique, mainly because it was part of a cool recurring theme in 'Mr. Robot' S1

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Also there was no such thing as cyber crime yet so all they could do is suit Ryan. Not very satisfying since he has nothing.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I thought Norton came out in the early 80s and it was possible to recover things from wiped disks. I was just a kid but i remember my dad using it to recover things on our pc clone back then.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Luvcow posted:

I thought Norton came out in the early 80s and it was possible to recover things from wiped disks. I was just a kid but i remember my dad using it to recover things on our pc clone back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ce3XUTt3W0

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

wormil posted:

Also there was no such thing as cyber crime yet so all they could do is suit Ryan. Not very satisfying since he has nothing.

Luvcow posted:

For FAT filesystems and DOS. What was Ryan using?

There was, but it was very very new and the authorities were struggling to suss out how to classify it.
Back in the late 1980's in Australia one of the first cases against tracking down someone who was hacking over the internet was successful with members of The Realm being successfully targeted via the Australian Federal Police creating custom keyloggers to effectively wiretap internet communications they otherwise had no way of intercepting.

There was a pretty decent doco made about this. And a free book that it's based off featuring Julian Assange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UghlW1TsMA

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I hope Joe and Gordon crush Ryan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

I hope Joe and Gordon crush Ryan.

Physically crush him. In a crusher. Ala The Terminator.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Wait, hold on. The crushing probably isn't needed now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Luvcow posted:

Just a rudimentary undelete utility. If the data was actually damaged there was nothing to my knowledge that could recover it. I don't believe even the FBI had software that sophisticated at the time although they were probably working on it.

WebDog posted:

For FAT filesystems and DOS. What was Ryan using?

There was, but it was very very new and the authorities were struggling to suss out how to classify it.
Back in the late 1980's in Australia one of the first cases against tracking down someone who was hacking over the internet was successful with members of The Realm being successfully targeted via the Australian Federal Police creating custom keyloggers to effectively wiretap internet communications they otherwise had no way of intercepting.

I don't know anything about the Australian case, it looks interesting but recording keystrokes doesn't seem applicable. In the US, at that time it would have fallen under local jurisdiction. The police, most of whom probably had never used a computer, wouldn't have understood the crime because no physical thing had been stolen, there was no trespass onto property, it would have been impossible to show damages in any way local law enforcement would have understood. The prosecutor probably would understand that the company had lost valuable data but there wouldn't have been a crime on the books he could use against Ryan. So it would end up being a civil case that would have probably been unwinnable.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

Wait, hold on. The crushing probably isn't needed now.

Probably not.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
That was a really good episode

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wow this got dark really loving fast Jesus.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Luvcow posted:

That was a really good episode

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Wow this got dark really loving fast Jesus.

Seriously. :smith: That was a great episode and I'm gonna be sad if this show doesn't get renewed. I could watch Lee Pace look forlorn for hours.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I want to see a full season of Cameron angering Japanese people with her stubbornness but the ratings for this show are reaching sub-PBS poetry documentary, now, and it'll probably never happen. Then again, I never thought this season would exist, either.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
There's some hope for it, the thoughtful non-craven AMC exec in charge of prestige really likes the critical favor it gets, only it and 'Better Call Saul' have any cachet of that nature. 'The Walking Dead' is still their cash cow and keeps the channel flush with cash, but they are aware it's a piece of poo poo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gonz posted:

I want to see a full season of Cameron angering Japanese people with her stubbornness but the ratings for this show are reaching sub-PBS poetry documentary, now, and it'll probably never happen. Then again, I never thought this season would exist, either.
I never believed it would get a second season even less a third at this point, so i am not going to complain.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Holy gently caress I was not expecting that

Also "It's a very tall child dressed as Joe MacMillan" cracked me up for some reason

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, that was one of the best episodes of the series. A few thoughts:
Donna alone in her hotel room :smith:
Ryan :smith:
Cameron & Donna in the grocery store :smith:
Joe going back to the place he first met Ryan :smith: :smith:

Seriously though, everything about that episode was impressive, and if they don't get renewed they're at least going out strong.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Best episode of the season and most depressing. Lee Pace acts loving circles around everyone else. Except maybe Boz.

I hope there's another season, though I'm happy with the show as is if there isn't. I'm glad no one explicitly said "maybe Cameron was right" and just let the flop of an IPO hang there.

I could watch Lee Pace do anything. Time to dust off my Pushing Daisies DVDs.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

I thought they were gonna have a scene of Cameron poking the hornets nest while kids were on her porch or something like that...laughing maniacally as they all scream in a hornet cloud and can't understand code.

It's strange how Ryan saw her and Joe right before he died. I felt like he was a combination of The two of them. Good with code and hard to be around like Cameron, but idolizing Joe's business sense, and successes.

In the end he definitely burned everything down Season One Joe style. Even more so.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I could watch Lee Pace do anything. Time to dust off my Pushing Daisies DVDs.

Lee Pace is indeed an exceptional actor. Also check out The Fall if you're a fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIEjqOzyP8

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

Lee Pace is indeed an exceptional actor. Also check out The Fall if you're a fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIEjqOzyP8

I saw that movie for Tarsem Singh but I stayed for Lee Pace and his incredible eyebrows. I've been entranced ever since. :allears:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

joepinetree posted:

The argument is that the second word gets out of their valuation there would be hundreds of companies trying to emulate them, and there is nothing stopping someone from ripping them off (which is what happened with westnet). Besides, anyone with any experience with Cameron can see through her and that this is a stalling tactic.

guess what, you were wrong and I was right.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wish they had addressed ryan possibly agreeing to work for the fbi and still get to touch computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ArmZ posted:

I wish they had addressed ryan possibly agreeing to work for the fbi and still get to touch computers

Based on what Ryan was telling Cameron in the university library(?) he crashed in, it sounded to me like he is schizophrenic. His paranoia and assumptions about the loved ones in his life selling him out to the FBI are not reasonable, nor is his otherworldly sense of being able to detect the FBI keeping tabs on him.

• Locked thread