Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

On the other hand mom probably won't sperg out about a keyboard

But I'm going to sperg out when she calls me for the 90th time asking where the command key is because it's not clearly written on the keyboard and her "notes" say to command-q when she has to quit a program.

Macs are supposed to improve my quality of life :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

But I'm going to sperg out when she calls me for the 90th time asking where the command key is because it's not clearly written on the keyboard and her "notes" say to command-q when she has to quit a program.

Macs are supposed to improve my quality of life :smith:

You can always just use stickers on top of the keys.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I worked at an all Mac place during the early iMac era I wound up buying tons of Macally keyboards.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Counter point to keyboard chat. The current Mac chiclet keyboards (wired ones) are my favorite keyboards to use. I have a cherry blu CM board, but the chiclet board gives me no RIS issues, and if i use the mechanical too much, it does. From what I've seen though, and briefly using it, the magic keyboard 2 (with scissor switches?) is the best board for RIS. I hope the MacBook Pro redesign throws those in.

Also, where the gently caress are the new macs?!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

LionArcher posted:

Counter point to keyboard chat. The current Mac chiclet keyboards (wired ones) are my favorite keyboards to use. I have a cherry blu CM board, but the chiclet board gives me no RIS issues, and if i use the mechanical too much, it does. From what I've seen though, and briefly using it, the magic keyboard 2 (with scissor switches?) is the best board for RIS. I hope the MacBook Pro redesign throws those in.

Yeah, agreed. I needed a new keyboard at work and for $50 (CAD) it's definitely one of the best keyboards I've used. Will probably pick one up for home to replace my 10-year-old G15...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love chiclet Mac keyboards personally. Everything else feels bizarre by comparison. I had a Corsair K70 on my gaming PC but I swapped it out with an old wired aluminum Apple chiclet full size keyboard and haven't looked back.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I bought one as soon as they came out, and after loving it so much I bought one for a buddy of mine who gave me a strange look when I presented it to him for his birthday. Later that evening I get an IM proclaiming it the best keyboard. And it is.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

LionArcher posted:

The new rechargeable Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad are so good. I've been on them since they came out, then recently got a 2014 Air and that trackpad feels terrible in comparison.

Here's hoping for some sort of Mac Mini bump. I think my Mac Pro Classic days are over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Mac mini is dead as poo poo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I swear that part of the starvation of the mac line is about the fact that Tim Cook was a supply guy and is interested in optimizing the finances of that stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Facebook announces new hardware requirements for the Oculus Rift platform:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/06/facebook-oculus-update-lowers-hardware-requirements-promises-social-experiences

Supposedly higher-end iMacs should now fit the system requirements for running Rift:

Apple Insider posted:

As a result, the minimum specifications for a VR system have been lowered to an Intel i3-6100 processor, 8GB of RAM, HDMI video, three USB ports, coupled with a Nvidia 960 or greater GPU.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Didnt the oculus guy say he could never see it on a Mac 🤔

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/4/11159700/oculus-rift-mac-support-apple

Yeah but this time it's coming from the guys who BOUGHT Oculus. In what I posted, due to some new technology being introduced to the SDK, the Rift environment based on the Unreal Engine will be able to achieve simulated 90 FPS on less powerful hardware than previously stated.

Also, it looks like Mark Zuckerberg's personal laptop is a rMBP, so he might have gotten upset about not being able to run something his company bought on his own computer.. but I imagine wanting to reach the Mac market is higher on his priority list.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 6, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I swapped out the CPUs in my Mac Pro today with the help of a friend. Everything went well - he was very thorough and careful and definitely knew what he was doing. The machine booted up fine and the specs reflect the upgrade accurately.

The fans are just running loud. He said that the machine is developing a new thermal profile of the new chips and that the fans should slow down in a day or two (and if not, to take it in for diagnostic). Is there any truth to that? I'm going to reset the PRAM and SMC in a moment when I get everything hooked up again, but are there diagnostic tools I can use to make sure everything's OK?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Mark market.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm ready for the new MacBooks to come out. Why can't it be today?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I'm ready for the new MacBooks to come out. Why can't it be today?

Something something earnings call first something.

Mister Speaker posted:

So I swapped out the CPUs in my Mac Pro today with the help of a friend. Everything went well - he was very thorough and careful and definitely knew what he was doing. The machine booted up fine and the specs reflect the upgrade accurately.

The fans are just running loud. He said that the machine is developing a new thermal profile of the new chips and that the fans should slow down in a day or two (and if not, to take it in for diagnostic). Is there any truth to that? I'm going to reset the PRAM and SMC in a moment when I get everything hooked up again, but are there diagnostic tools I can use to make sure everything's OK?

Which Mac Pro? 2,1? 3,1?

If it's the 3,1, there's a bootable CD that allows you to perform a Thermal Recalibration. Depending on the model, there's an Apple Service Diagnostic CD for each model that will let you do this.

From what I recall issuing the thermal recalibration needs to be done from that command, especially if you switched out any fans or replaced any sensors.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a 5,1. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC but the fans are still going crazy. Is there any truth to the idea that the machine needs to rebuild its thermal profile, to "get used to" the new CPUs, or is that bullshit?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Palmer Luckey says a lot of stupid things.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a 5,1. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC but the fans are still going crazy. Is there any truth to the idea that the machine needs to rebuild its thermal profile, to "get used to" the new CPUs, or is that bullshit?

I've never heard of this automatic recalibration before.
You could try booting it in the hardware diagnostic mode and check if it reports any errors related to the temperature sensors.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Have you checked the CPU temperature with a third party tool?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

According to Apple, the SMC is responsible for thermal management. It specifically calls out fans constantly running as a reason to reset the SMC.

quote:

The computer fans run at high speed, though the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

How did you try resetting the SMC? It's a different process for desktops than the unibody keyboard combo.

quote:

Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers

Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve.
Shut down the Mac.
Unplug the power cord.
Wait 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back in.
Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac.

eames posted:

Have you checked the CPU temperature with a third party tool?

Do this too. It may be your new CPU is running hotter than the fans and venting are designed to cool. CPU load alone may not tell the entire story here.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 7, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Something something earnings call first something.
Apple reschedules Q4 2016 earnings call to October 25 due to ‘scheduling conflict’

:tinfoil:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

So the scuttlebutt is that the earnings call is going to suck poo poo so they pushed it up two days so two days later they can announce new macbooks and make people forget about the earnings call?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

flosofl posted:

How did you try resetting the SMC? It's a different process for desktops than the unibody keyboard combo.

By unplugging the computer from everything, waiting more than 15 seconds and plugging the AC adaptor back in. Am I missing something?

eames posted:

I've never heard of this automatic recalibration before.
You could try booting it in the hardware diagnostic mode and check if it reports any errors related to the temperature sensors.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

For some reason this also isn't working. I'm holding down the D key and all it does is start up normally, albeit slower. I noticed that it's not making the startup chime sound either, any time I turn it on. Is this indicative of a particular problem?

A friend told me to take the heatsinks off of the CPUs and check the sensors. Are the sensor connectors the flat six-pin black pieces that connect the heatsink to the board, or is this just to power the heatsink fans? One of them seems loose in the sink, but doesn't look or feel like it's having trouble connecting.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Which was the best mac computer?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's pretty cool, but the modern day "stuff everything into the display's case" blows it out of the water.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yes

enojy posted:

That's pretty cool, but the modern day "stuff everything into the display's case" blows it out of the water.

No

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

enojy posted:

I like the G4 model better because it was easy to adjust the height whereas now it's impossible.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wrong

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought an iMac G4 5 years ago because I needed to import some miniDV tapes and that was the cheapest way to do it.

Even hopelessly outdated it still worked remarkably well. I loved the engineering. Any other manufacturer wouldn't have made the neck the strongest part of the computer.

I ended up giving it to my poor, unemployed uncle who used it to meet a woman and move into a nice house.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Nowhere near being "best" in a lot of ways, but will always be my favorite design:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah in the instructions for the iMac G4 they say the proper way to lift it up if you want to move it around is by the neck. They made it extra strong and it's meant to double as a handle.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Nowhere near being "best" in a lot of ways, but will always be my favorite design:

Mine still works

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As long as they release stuff who cares?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Housh posted:

Which was the best mac computer?

Black / White Macbook, Final Intel Mac Pro, Cube, and the above lamp Style iMac.

Honorable mention to Bondi Blue iMac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

G3 PowerBook, first unibody MacBook Pro, Quadra AV

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mac is generally pretty awesome at design in general. I think the more interesting question would be to ask what was the worst design of the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mac is generally pretty awesome at design in general. I think the more interesting question would be to ask what was the worst design of the last 20 years.

Any Apple mouse, but the hockey puck, if I had to pick one.