Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The clown thing is a bit of a :stonk: shock thing. I personally think the prank things are dumb and is just going to be a new way of Darwinism once people start getting shot.

So I'm in Portland (Lake Oswego area) with my wife and kids. Flew in last night and as we were walking to the rental car location there was a gorgeous imola E46 M3 waiting at the cross walk. At the apartment where my inlaws are staying there is a nice 330ci and a good looking F30. All the nice BMWs are in the northwest you guys!

What's the cool things to do here? We're going to be heading home Sunday. We have Friday and Saturday free. What's the cool thing we should go check out? There is some market things going on downtown on Saturday mornings I guess?

Sent you a PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Sizzle Pie is great by-the-slice pizza, I think there's a location in Portland.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Devyl posted:

Yesterday was pretty rough. Half of my shifts' inspection team got let go. Ford decided they didn't want to pay as much anymore for all the overtime we've accrued from working 7 days a week for months on end, so several good people lost their jobs.

Wait. So, they feel like *reducing* the staff will reduce overtime? How does that work?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yesssss. Maybe I'll get one in the mail today

That's a sale price, not a coupon, so you shouldn't need the mailer to buy it at that price.

fake edit: yep, $169.99 on the website: http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Hmmm. I may need one of those...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get that feeling of relief when something really cheap on Ebay finally gets bid on or sold, because it removes your impetus to do something you shouldn't?

Yes. Other times, I buy a J10 months or years before I have any sort of time, money, or space to dedicate to the project.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

So far while working my new job I've learned that Mitsubishi make extremely good and cheap cars

True on the cheap.... BULLSHIT on the good part.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Yes. Other times, I buy a J10 months or years before I have any sort of time, money, or space to dedicate to the project.
I do this kind of thing regularly.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

True on the cheap.... BULLSHIT on the good part.

So far this 2017 outback sport is extremely good

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Re portland: The porchetta sandwich at lardo changed my life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So far this 2017 outback sport is extremely good

You have a strange definition of good

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Alright Matthew, You might knock the power out, but I'm ready for it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Blue Start donuts is expensive, but 10x better then Voodoo.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ExplodingSims posted:

What is that monstrosity on the right? It looks like a sci-fi heavy laser-cannon or some poo poo.

E: Nvm, found it.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2130-20

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 6, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get that feeling of relief when something really cheap on Ebay finally gets bid on or sold, because it removes your impetus to do something you shouldn't?
Way more often than it should. Bring a Trailer auctions are particularly bad for this and I just watch them hoping they cross the threshold before I end up with another car/motorcycle I have no space for.

ExplodingSims posted:

Is that a flashlight or a bazooka :drat: you're set for lights. Good luck

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Way more often than it should. Bring a Trailer auctions are particularly bad for this and I just watch them hoping they cross the threshold before I end up with another car/motorcycle I have no space for.
One reason for putting off trying for adding a C (full-size rigid truck) category to my licence is that it would give me access to far more bad decisions, and ways to transport them home.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You have a strange definition of good

I've been driving a Saturn for the past 5 years and an 88 Pontiac before that so yeah

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Wait. So, they feel like *reducing* the staff will reduce overtime? How does that work?

"Get your work done in 40 hours. You don't want to end up like those guys who had too much overtime and got fired, right?"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thanks all for the suggestions and blk for the excellent info. My friend that moved up here from salt lake also suggested a place called Chevy's, another called Zeppo's, and an Italian place in the city called Piazza Italia

nm posted:

Re portland: The porchetta sandwich at lardo changed my life.
I'm a simple man that likes simple things like sandwiches and my interest has been piqued.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, they fired inspectors.

Fewer inspectors means fewer defects found, which means less scrap/rework, so you cut down your total overtime.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

No, they fired inspectors.

Fewer inspectors means fewer defects found, which means less scrap/rework, so you cut down your total overtime.

or you've refined your processes so well that you no longer need to inspect your work :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Outback Sports are great cars, but Mitsubishi doesn't make them

Haven't smoked cigarettes in a year now. wb asthma lol, but otherwise I like not smoking and I also like meaningless benchmarks so today's p.cool that way :toot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

One reason for putting off trying for adding a C (full-size rigid truck) category to my licence is that it would give me access to far more bad decisions, and ways to transport them home.

Yeah, I keep seeing sub $2k towtrucks go by on the local auto trade fb groups. I always think to myself "man, so many cool things I could get with that" and then look at the yard and go "man, so many cool things I could get with that" again and keep scrolling... :banjo:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

or you've refined your processes so well that you no longer need to inspect your work :v:
"We changed the phone number, email address and zip code on all the shipping documentation, so no one can send anything back or get hold of us to complain about it. The only points of contact now are the sales and marketing departments, who simply have to avoid telling anyone the truth. We tried to explain to them what was needed, but every time we used telling and truth too close together in a sentence, they started to get nervous tics. We think they'll do just fine."

kastein posted:

Yeah, I keep seeing sub $2k towtrucks go by on the local auto trade fb groups. I always think to myself "man, so many cool things I could get with that" and then look at the yard and go "man, so many cool things I could get with that" again and keep scrolling... :banjo:
Because I passed my test after 1997, I'm basically limited to a B category, which means under 7500lbs. Anyone with an older licence gets 16500lbs. That's now a separately-tested C1 category, but it seems common wisdom is to skip right over it and just get a straight C, which has no weight limit.

Towing is addressed separately with a "+E" on each category.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 6, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Outback Sports are great cars, but Mitsubishi doesn't make them

Haven't smoked cigarettes in a year now. wb asthma lol, but otherwise I like not smoking and I also like meaningless benchmarks so today's p.cool that way :toot:

Outlander sport I mean

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I've been driving a Saturn for the past 5 years and an 88 Pontiac before that so yeah

I'd take the Saturn any day over the Outlander. Or walk.

I was going to say "I'd rather ride a bike" but...... ummmm.... yeah kinda doesnt work for me does it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I drove an Outlander for a few days in Charlotte. It was low on power and had a stupid wooshy intake noise, but it was fun otherwise. Oodles more cargo room than anything else in Alamo's Small SUV category.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My folks have an RVR which is a Canadian outlander sport. It's reliable and ok to drive but holy poo poo is it underpowered.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh my god, I listed a shitbox 2004 Ford Ranger on Craigslist for $1800, for a friend. Frame is twisted so much the passenger door doesn't open and I had to cut and re-weld the tailgate pin latches.

My phone exploded. There are pieces of phone everywhere. Oh god send help.

I guess the combination of "small truck that has no modern equivalent," "working A/C," and living in the land of day laborers, is the perfect storm of necessity.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Your new username is tits

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

The Aristocrats! Mangement!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh my god, I listed a shitbox 2004 Ford Ranger on Craigslist for $1800, for a friend. Frame is twisted so much the passenger door doesn't open and I had to cut and re-weld the tailgate pin latches.

My phone exploded. There are pieces of phone everywhere. Oh god send help.

I guess the combination of "small truck that has no modern equivalent," "working A/C," and living in the land of day laborers, is the perfect storm of necessity.

I bought my '98 Ranger in 2011 for $2300, put some super loving cheap maintenance parts on it, flogged that little Pinto every time I drove it, and sold it in 2014 for $2500 with a giant loving dent in the bed from some uninsured shithead in a parking lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Your new username is tits

Agreed, that's a name change that isn't horribly confusing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Aristocrats! Mangement!

I bought my '98 Ranger in 2011 for $2300, put some super loving cheap maintenance parts on it, flogged that little Pinto every time I drove it, and sold it in 2014 for $2500 with a giant loving dent in the bed from some uninsured shithead in a parking lot.

Judging by Cragslist, I can't tell if the Ranger should be a $2000 truck, or $10000 truck.
I bought my 2000 for $3000 in 2004 with 50,000 miles on it. Wrecked it almost 10 years later and didn't even bother telling the insurance company because gently caress paying higher rates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A kid dressed as the Leto Joker got the poo poo kicked out of him at the mall where my store is today. I'm assuming it's clown scare related. I didn't see it, I just got the security email about it.

Oh and I would like to rescind all my negative comments about children. We were having lunch today and a rather corpulant woman broke the chair she was sitting in. People rushed over to make sure she was okay and this rad kid at the table near us giggle and said "she broke it because she's fat."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Watching Hurricane Matthew Killface about to wipe the east coast of Florida off the map.

Why the gently caress would you hunker down when you are literally about to get 3+meters of storm surge in a state that is drat near flat????

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Watching Hurricane Matthew Killface about to wipe the east coast of Florida off the map.

Why the gently caress would you hunker down when you are literally about to get 3+meters of storm surge in a state that is drat near flat????

You're questioning the thinking of people who choose to live in a crime ridden swamp that takes everything wrong with the entire country to a cartoonish exrtreme.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And that's it for car manufacturing by Ford in Australia :smith:

RIP all those jobs, and skills that are now wasted because there are no direct jobs for those workers to go to.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks all for the suggestions and blk for the excellent info. My friend that moved up here from salt lake also suggested a place called Chevy's, another called Zeppo's, and an Italian place in the city called Piazza Italia

I'm a simple man that likes simple things like sandwiches and my interest has been piqued.

I'd skip Chevy's (chain platter Mexican) and Zeppo's (fake Italian). Food in Lake Oswego in general is usually overpriced and disappointing. The best Mexican in Portland is probably Nuestra Cocina. Taqueria Nueve and Porque No are OK for upscale tacos. There are many good Italian places in Portland, I haven't been to Piazza Italia in almost 10 years but it was pretty authentic when I went.

If you are going out in LO I would suggest Chuckie Pies for Neapolitan pizza. A lot of people like Nicoletta's Table for Italian but I think it's overrated. Tavern on Kruse has pretty good burgers, salads etc.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We are not a smart people here in Florida.

So far in Orlando it's been heavy rain, and some wind. Power here has already flickered a few times, so that doesn't bode well

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

We are not a smart people here in Florida.

So far in Orlando it's been heavy rain, and some wind. Power here has already flickered a few times, so that doesn't bode well

I'm looking at a move from Atlanta to the Orlando area soon. My ex-wife got a an engineering job at Disney and is moving the kids down there. I'll be damned if I'm going to live 7 hours from my kids, so I'm looking at a corresponding move.

My job kinda sucks anyway and it really isn't a "career", I would say. Any idea where there's a need in the job market down there? Worked in the environmental industry doing hazardous site cleanup for 7 years and been in sales/service for a laundry equipment distributor for the last two.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bandman posted:

Worked in the environmental industry doing hazardous site cleanup for 7 years

There's gonna be a fair call for your experience in Florida in about a day's time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Small percentage of idiots hunker down, most everyone else has already evacuated.

bandman posted:

I'm looking at a move from Atlanta to the Orlando area soon. My ex-wife got a an engineering job at Disney and is moving the kids down there. I'll be damned if I'm going to live 7 hours from my kids, so I'm looking at a corresponding move.

My job kinda sucks anyway and it really isn't a "career", I would say. Any idea where there's a need in the job market down there? Worked in the environmental industry doing hazardous site cleanup for 7 years and been in sales/service for a laundry equipment distributor for the last two.

Personally I'd never live anywhere inland in FL, but with laundry equipment experience and the giant hospitality industry here you'd be fine in Orlando or on either coast. Lots of hotels with lots of laundry equipment. Or if you want to make good money learn how to bartend.

• Locked thread